March 29, 2024, 04:23:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is "ideology" the Issue?  (Read 2246 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« on: June 07, 2008, 08:22:43 PM »

No ... race is not the issue ... ideology is.

Janet

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 08:44:34 PM »

What is "ideology" -

1.  The body of ideas reflecting the social needs and aspirations of an individual, group, class, or culture.

2.  A set of doctrines or beliefs that form the basis of a political, economic, or other system.

http://www.answers.com/ideology

What are the doctrines and beliefs that form the basis of the candidates political and economic platform?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 08:49:44 PM »

Political Dictionary: ideology

Any comprehensive and mutually consistent set of ideas by which a social group makes sense of the world may be referred to as an ideology. Catholicism, Islam, Liberalism, and Marxism are examples. An ideology needs to provide some explanation of how things have come to be as they are, some indication of where they are heading (to provide a guide to action), criteria for distinguishing truth from falsehood and valid arguments from invalid, and some overriding belief, whether in God, Providence, or History, to which adherents may make a final appeal when challenged.

The term has had very variable connotations, and at least in its dominant sense it has been necessarily pejorative, a term always to be used of the ideas of others, never of one's own. For some, notably Marxists, ideology has generally been used to describe the world-view of the dominant. Even for Karl Mannheim, no Marxist, ideology sought to maintain the status quo and was to be distinguished from utopian thought, directed towards change. For others ideology might be applied to any set of ideas, such as the Enlightenment, so abstract as to provide an impractical guide to policy-making and so ambitious as to advocate wholesale reform.

http://www.answers.com/topic/ideology

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

SteveDinMD
Scared Monkey

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 09:05:09 PM »

I contend that ideology is but part of the edifice.  So are experience and judgment.  Specific, proposed policies have their place, as well.  All of these things, however, are built on a foundation of CHARACTER.  Remember; we don't elect issues or platforms.  We elect PEOPLE to exercise the full power of their respective offices according to their discretion.  Any program, therefore, is only as good as the person (or persons) elected to implement it. 
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 09:30:38 AM »

Steve I am so glad you point to these key concerns, thank you for posting and for hopefully serving to enlighten some. Charismatic leadership and quality leadership are two different things - there also is no substitute for the experiential learning curve.

I continue to stand with the girl.
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 10:10:17 AM »

Diario has an interesting political cartoon in yesterday's edition.

Anyone able to provide some commentary?
===
What happens if the price of gas rises $5 / gallon every year in the U.S.?

At what point is gas no longer affordable for the average American?  $10/gallon?  $15/gallon?

Why not focus on resources that are abundant in the U.S.?  Organic fuels?  Coal?  Sunshine?  Nuclear?

Why not hydrogen fueled vehicles?

Who is going to shift the focus in the country?  Will marginally increasing fuel efficiency in the US really help?

Auntiem
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 10:27:32 AM »

whiskey girl, the only way I can look at and try to understand the consequences of the price of gas as you stated so well....even giving "common sense", logical alternatives to oil usage......is to feel it is on the back burner, for now.......for how long God only knows.

but to me, at this crucial point in time, for Americans and the rest of the Free World, the price of oil, gasoline....will be moot if our National Security is not secured and the evils of Extreme Islam is not stopped.

If I had to go back to the way people traveled two hundred years ago, heat my home with a fireplace and grow (learn to grow) my own food....I would choose THAT way of life over living under the tyranny of Islam!!!

The Pilgrims from England and the Netherlands did it for "Freedom",  so could I!!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.