April 26, 2024, 06:55:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #11 6/12 - 10/04/2008  (Read 182977 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2008, 10:02:13 PM »

Klaas When you get a chance. LOL  Like that will happen, but we have a few more mods to help you so maybe you would do this.  Please elaborate on all the wildfires out there in your area and why or how they get so out of hand.  Is the fire dept state run or are there local fire dept's that have to coordinate with all the others.  It is a county fire dept?  It seems that there are so many needed that any fire dept would quite large in all the different counties. I don't know much about why there are so many fires out there except that you have a lot of them and they are terrible at times.  If it's not fires the mudslides get you and if you survive them you get earthquakes.  Here in the South it's mainly just tornadoes. Thanks.

LaLa's,

Klaas gave you a good explanation. There is a nature cycle in California that repeats almost every year. I've lived here fifty-eight years. In the spring, the rains fall and nourish all the dormant plants to the point that they flourish. Next, the summer heat dries out all the plants. (Plants, in this case, are defined as brush and chapperal that line the mountains.) We have lots of mountains here. Even my garden plants have to be watered every other day or they will dry up and die like the chapperal. Next comes the fires. They can be spontaneously sparked, or a flick of ash from a cigarette thrown out a car window. Even people who make campfires - a stray ember can cause the whole area to explode.

And so it goes, year after year.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2008, 06:57:19 AM »

Team flies in

44 Australian and New Zealand firefighters have arrived in the United States to assist local firefighters tackle hundreds of fires burning across west coast states.

Since June, nearly 1,800 lightning-sparked wildfires have affected some 1.2 million hectares. California, Washington, Idaho and Montana have suffered the most damage, and this year, the annual bushfire average has been racked up in just six months.

California is the worst-hit state. Estimates suggest that 322 fires are still active. Unseasonally warm and dry conditions have seen the bushfire season arrive a month early in the US.

Induction then action

The Australian firefighters flew out on Sunday for a one day induction in Idaho before moving on to northern California. The group includes 10 NSW firefighters, nine from Victoria, while Western Australia is contributing eight, the ACT four, Tasmania three and one is from South Australia. Nine firefighters from New Zealand are also travelling with the crew. They will be away for more than a month and will be deployed for two periods of a fortnight each. This is the fifth time Australia firefighters have been sent to the US to help fight bushfires; the last time was in 2006.

A California Farm Bureau Federation report quotes State fire officials saying that more than 1,400 fires have been contained "due to the endless efforts of firefighters from California, as well as from throughout the nation and Canada. Additional firefighting resources have arrived from Australia, Greece, Mexico and New Zealand."

http://www.ufua.asn.au/168.html

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »

Team flies in

44 Australian and New Zealand firefighters have arrived in the United States to assist local firefighters tackle hundreds of fires burning across west coast states.

Since June, nearly 1,800 lightning-sparked wildfires have affected some 1.2 million hectares. California, Washington, Idaho and Montana have suffered the most damage, and this year, the annual bushfire average has been racked up in just six months.

California is the worst-hit state. Estimates suggest that 322 fires are still active. Unseasonally warm and dry conditions have seen the bushfire season arrive a month early in the US.

Induction then action

The Australian firefighters flew out on Sunday for a one day induction in Idaho before moving on to northern California. The group includes 10 NSW firefighters, nine from Victoria, while Western Australia is contributing eight, the ACT four, Tasmania three and one is from South Australia. Nine firefighters from New Zealand are also travelling with the crew. They will be away for more than a month and will be deployed for two periods of a fortnight each. This is the fifth time Australia firefighters have been sent to the US to help fight bushfires; the last time was in 2006.

A California Farm Bureau Federation report quotes State fire officials saying that more than 1,400 fires have been contained "due to the endless efforts of firefighters from California, as well as from throughout the nation and Canada. Additional firefighting resources have arrived from Australia, Greece, Mexico and New Zealand."

http://www.ufua.asn.au/168.html

Thanks Tib for the info...glad to see the Tasmanians and West Aussies stepping up to the plate considering their much smaller populations compared with other states. How is winter going Down Under?

Louise ...Thank You...Nice to see you
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #143 on: July 17, 2008, 10:28:49 PM »

Hello Mum! It's wonderful to see you, too!

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2008, 09:11:24 AM »

For Those Who Still Have The Courage To Get Up Each Day For Work!!

Or perhaps just a need to pay for food.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2008, 06:19:57 PM »

I need some advice I'm looking to buy a new laptop so I can go out on the deck and do what I do.

What brand Dell, Sony etc (NOT GATEWAY they suck).
 I would like to know about wireless internet.
I have  electric power outside  so I can plug in but I don't know what I'm doing.
I have two desktops with a 2wire one is plug in the maine box  and the other has a wireless usb  adapter thing.
 I do and an extra usb adapter thing from a computer I no longer have, can I use this in a labtop.Or do I have to get a wireless card.

I need someone's brain here .

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2008, 06:29:51 PM »

I need some advice I'm looking to buy a new laptop so I can go out on the deck and do what I do.

I have  electric power outside  so I can plug in but I don't know what I'm doing.
I have two desktops with a 2wire one is plug in the maine box  and the other has a wireless usb  adapter thing.
 I do and an extra usb adapter thing from a computer I no longer have, can I use this in a labtop.Or do I have to get a wireless card.

#1  Any new laptop you get, no matter what the brand should come with an internal wireless card so there shouldn't be a problem accessing the internet with your already installed wireless router.

#2  Whatever laptop you get, see if you can get XP installed instead of Vista.  Vista still sucks, IMO and makes a machine run slower than it should.

#3  You could always go with a Mac but they would be more expensive. 
Apple Store:  http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?cid=OAS%2DUS%2DKWG%2DCPUMacbook%2DUS
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 06:31:51 PM by klaasend » Logged
carpe noctem
Monkey All Star Jr.

History repeats itself. It's a cyclical beast.

« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2008, 06:35:58 PM »

Klaas is right, any new laptop made today... you are already good to go!

I second the part about Vista. Try it and see if you are pleased...

...but most people reformat that sucker after about the first week day.

For Natalee and Stephany, whatever it takes.

-JUSTICE FOR NATALEE ANN - BOYCOTT ARUBA
------------------
"Don't talk about what you have done or what you are going to do." Thomas Jefferson
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."Thomas Jeff
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2008, 06:37:47 PM »

#1  Any new laptop you get, no matter what the brand should come with an internal wireless card so there shouldn't be a problem accessing the internet with your already installed wireless router.

#2  Whatever laptop you get, see if you can get XP installed instead of Vista.  Vista still sucks, IMO and makes a machine run slower than it should.

Apple Store:  http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?cid=OAS%2DUS%2DKWG%2DCPUMacbook%2DUS
IMO -- Vista is alright (since they brought out Service Pack 1) , but DO NOT get a computer with Vista with less than 2GB RAM - minimum. 3 GB even better.

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2008, 06:41:37 PM »

Also, with ANY new computer -- immediately uninstall ALL free crapware that comes with them - including Norton Anti-virus, and trials of Microsoft works.

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2008, 06:46:09 PM »

Ok I'll get looking Thank You

Destiny
Monkey Junky

unwatched kids will be given sugar + a free puppy

« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2008, 06:57:36 PM »

Ok I'll get looking Thank You

I've had Macs my whole life....get a Mac....You can't go wrong with a Mac....Des

I Stand With The Girl *NATALEE HOLLOWAY*

Aruba Beware *AN ANGEL LIKE NO OTHER* has fallen amongst you....may you know the fury of HEAVEN!
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #152 on: July 18, 2008, 07:15:42 PM »

OK a Mac will be my next purchase. 

My sister gave me her old Mac and I use it for the internet when I am booted off my desktop.  I use Safari and I have to say it's pretty good.  I just have to get used to it because I have become so adjusted to my desktop.

My next desk will probably be a Dell.  But I cringe at the thought of using Vista because I used the Microsoft programs Word, PowerPoint and Excel a lot.  I updated my old computer with the Windows 2007 and I have to say it has taken me time to get used to finding stuff.  Also, if you purchase the 2007 Microsoft software you have to remember that most companies aren't that updated yet so if you send a document they might not be able to open it.  I have to remember to save it down a version which it does give me the option.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #153 on: July 18, 2008, 07:30:21 PM »

DANA PRETZER TONIGHT

www.scaredmonkeysradio.com

Buckeye
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2008, 07:33:54 PM »

IMO -- Vista is alright (since they brought out Service Pack 1) , but DO NOT get a computer with Vista with less than 2GB RAM - minimum. 3 GB even better.

Just went through this for someone at work.  In addition to the 2-3 GB RAM, I would also get a minimum of 250GB hard drive (lots of the "specials" are 160GB).
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #155 on: July 18, 2008, 08:18:48 PM »

Airport (wireless method) is probably the best made today.   I have no difficulty picking up even other peoples signals if I wish

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #156 on: July 18, 2008, 09:12:12 PM »

OK I got the Dell Vista  Inspiron  Intel Pentium Dual Core T2390 (1.86GHz 533Mhz, 1M L2 Cache) 
 Jet Black Color with Matte Finish 
 3GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm 
 15.4 inch Wide Screen WXGA LCDTrueLife for Inspiron 1525 
 Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 
 250G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
 Webcam
6-cell Primary Battery
Microsoft Works 9.0,
3 Year Limited Warranty
 with all the cords, case, bla bla
don't tell my hubby lol

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2008, 11:17:23 PM »

Happy Computing!!!   Just be patient.  I hate getting a new computer or installing a new system.  It is a little bit like breaking in a new pair of shoes.   Some things just do not feel right when it is new.  One minute I am excited about the new things I can do and the next minute I can't figure out why it isn't doing what I tell it to do.. 

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2008, 12:05:32 AM »

OK I got the Dell Vista  Inspiron  Intel Pentium Dual Core T2390 (1.86GHz 533Mhz, 1M L2 Cache) 
 Jet Black Color with Matte Finish 
 3GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm 
 15.4 inch Wide Screen WXGA LCDTrueLife for Inspiron 1525 
 Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 
 250G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
 Webcam
6-cell Primary Battery
Microsoft Works 9.0,
3 Year Limited Warranty
 with all the cords, case, bla bla
don't tell my hubby lol

Congrats! You should be very happy with that!! Vista will be just fine with those specs -- if you got "Vista Home Premium" you will really enjoy what you can do with multimedia (record TV etc., )

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2008, 12:12:00 AM »

PS -- (Microsft works is okay but if you have a "trial version" of "Office" or a "Anti-Virus" pre-installed) get rid of them. When you get it -- let us know and we all can advise you! I use some "free" programs that will use less resources and serve you and your computer better. "Open Office" will do everything that Microsoft Office does for free (save yourself $200.)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.