April 26, 2024, 05:49:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #11 6/12 - 10/04/2008  (Read 182976 times)
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2008, 09:38:13 PM »

Well, it won't download so I am sending the free version link to another computer (hubbys) and he will make a cd of it and then install it here. He says I must have a setting wrong since it won't download. This monkey has a lot to learn. 

Thank you very much for the advice and the links.
You would probably need to uninstall the V.8 befroe you can download the "free" edition. It sounds as though you may hace something else going on (security settings in your browser) for your firewall to "acting up." Which browser do you use?

I uninstalled .8 and downloaded the free edition. Whew, I like this much better. I use ie browser. Looked at security, and I have "protected mode" checked. Should it be unchecked?
I run mine at the "Default" level with the ""Protected Mode" ENABLED.  Did uninstalling the AVG firewall help? Try using the firewall that comes with VISTA enabled and turning off (uninstall all others). The firewall that is in your router is a "hardware" firewall and should not interfere with the Vista one.

Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #181 on: July 23, 2008, 10:27:33 PM »

Wreck, After uninstalling McAfee the other day I installed the free link you provided. I had to download some other little windows update before it would install. So far so good. Thanks.

Klaas I love the bathroom tile. Please do not change it. JMHO

Sam

Just a swinging with the tribe
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #182 on: July 23, 2008, 10:40:29 PM »

Anyone that is on Vista -- make sure you have downloaded the "Service pack 1" update. It will speed up booting and shutting down 1000%!!

beyondbelief
Scared Monkey

« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2008, 03:03:31 PM »

Hi everyone (and thank you for the welcome klaas)!

I keep receiving this error page when trying to pm you klaas:

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you can't read your personal messages. 

Please help! 
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2008, 03:05:15 PM »

Hi everyone (and thank you for the welcome klaas)!

I keep receiving this error page when trying to pm you klaas:

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you can't read your personal messages. 

Please help! 

The PM function is disabled..sorry.  If you want you can email me at smklaas@hotmail.com   
beyondbelief
Scared Monkey

« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2008, 03:09:05 PM »

Sure will. Thank you!

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2008, 10:46:35 PM »

NEW FRONT PAGE POST:

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2008/07/24/some-times-we-just-need-to-some-bizarre-monkey-humor/

Some times We just Need to Some Bizarre Monkey Humor

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2008, 12:39:19 AM »

Wreck, yes, uninstalling avg paid version, and installing the free version you were so kind to give me worked. Turning on the vista firewall now. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #188 on: July 25, 2008, 11:36:51 AM »

I just saw Mama Mia last night and had a wonderful time! The entire audience had a great time! I had seen this on Broadway, and didn't expect to enjoy it as much, but I did! Here's a clip from the movie worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPcgj8OXU8
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2008, 04:24:51 PM »

The 7 Best Foods We Never Eat
Date updated: December 19, 2006
Content provided by Revolution Health Group
Stuck in a food rut? You don't have to go far to find some overlooked food choices that are easy to prepare, pack a nutritional wallop and avoid unhealthy fats.

We asked two veteran nutritionists to help us identify seven great foods most of us skip. Our consultants: American Dietetic Association spokeswoman Cindy Moore, R.D., of the Cleveland Clinic Foundation; and Institute of Food Technologists spokeswoman Christina Stark, R.D., of Cornell University.

Avocado
The avocado is high in fat, but most of the fat is the heart-healthy monounsaturated kind. We know the avocado tastes great, but outside of an occasional guacamole dip, few of us reach for this high-fiber food for salads or as a great side dish.

You'll also get protein, a good dose of vitamins A and E, some B vitamins, lots of potassium and a dollop of copper. The rich and creamy avocado has been called the "chocolate" of fruits.

Sweet potato
At Thanksgiving, we dash for sweet potatoes as if they're available just once a year. But you can bake or microwave these tubers anytime for a super dose of vitamin A — five times the daily value (DV) the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends.

Sweet potatoes also offer some vitamin C and a significant helping of important minerals, including calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and iron. And this tasty fat-free combo of nutrients brightens your plate.

Soybeans
The FDA recently added soy to the list of foods that can make health claims because of its value in reducing the risk of heart disease. Soy is high in protein — one cup of beans can fill 40 percent of the DV for protein — and the bean also serves up generous helpings of fiber, calcium, potassium, iron, phosphorus and magnesium. How you eat this versatile food is up to you — cooked and mixed in salads or casseroles, roasted for snacks, or in tofu, tempeh or soy milk. Soy has some fat, but very little saturated fat.

The use of soy products to treat symptoms of menopause is controversial. While it may improve symptoms for some women, the phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) that may help relieve hot flashes may also increase the risk of breast cancer.

Dried figs
Tasty as Fig Newton cookies are, figs stand on their own. They provide high-fiber, topped with some B vitamins and iron, finished off with abundant potassium and calcium. Five figs give you as much calcium as half a glass of milk.

What to do with a fig? Pop a few in your mouth, sneak them into casseroles or replace raisins with them in a salad.

Lentils
We never think of this legume unless it's in our soup. But put lentils in rice or casseroles and you've added one of the highest-protein and highest-fiber foods around.

A cup of lentils supplies about 40 percent of the DV for protein and about 65 percent of the DV for fiber. The lentil is high in potassium, calcium and iron, and a good source of B vitamins, phosphorus and copper. The fat content? Zero.

Kale( I HATE)
Dark, leafy green vegetables are an acquired taste. Maybe now's the time to see if your taste buds have matured to accommodate this no-fat, low-calorie, super-high-vitamin-A food.

One cup of kale (boiled, but not overcooked) gives you double the DV for vitamin A. You'll also get some vitamin C, a small amount of B vitamins and a generous amount of calcium. Look for kale's healthy but ignored cousins: Swiss chard, mustard greens and collards.

Barley
Here's another soup secret we tend to forget despite its claim to protein, fiber, potassium, phosphorus and iron. One cup supplies 25 percent of the DV for fiber.

Eat pearled barley as a side dish instead of rice, use it for a hearty casserole, or boil it to create a unique base for a stir-fry meal. And look at the high nutritional content of some other forgotten but powerful grains, like quinoa and amaranth.

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/?s_kwcid=ContentNetwork|855605454

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2008, 04:26:02 PM »

Do we have a recipe thread?

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2008, 04:36:30 PM »

There might be one in the Lounge...not sure, anymore, Blonde.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2008, 11:25:22 PM »

There might be one in the Lounge...not sure, anymore, Blonde.

I just set up a new forum area for Recipes called "What's Cooking".  It's in the Monkey Lounge area after the Games forum:

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?board=38.0
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #193 on: July 28, 2008, 05:49:23 PM »

Published on Scientific Blogging (http://www.scientificblogging.com)
Africa's Newly Discovered 'Kipunji' Monkey Already Threatened With ExtinctionBy News Account
Created Jul 28 2008 - 2:00am

Zoology
If you're a pessimist, the primate known as the "Kipunji'"discovered just three years ago, is already bordering on extinction.

If you're more of an optimist, you may think that its small numbers are why it was never discovered until recently so 1,117 of them are nothing to be alarmed about.

The Wildlife Conservation Society is in the alarm business so they're saying that the first-ever census of the forest-dwelling primate showing 1,117 individuals, according to a study released in the July issue of the journal Oryx, is worrisome.

Kipunji

Discovered in 2005, the kipinji made headlines again in 2006 when DNA analysis revealed that the species represented an entire new genus of primate; the first since 1923.

The population estimate was the result of more than 2,800 hours of field work by WCS scientists in the Southern Highlands and Udzungwa Mountains in Tanzania where the kipunji was discovered. The team found that the monkey's range is restricted to just 6.82 square miles (17.69 square kilometers) of forest in two isolated regions.

The authors also discovered that much of the monkey's remaining habitat is severely degraded by illegal logging and land conversion. In addition, the monkey itself is the target of poachers. Because of these combined threats, WCS proposes that the kipunji should be classified by the World Conservation Union (IUCN) as "critically endangered" – which means it is threatened with extinction in the wild if immediate conservation action is not taken.

"The kipunji is hanging on by the thinnest of threads," said Dr. Tim Davenport, Tanzania Country Director for the Wildlife Conservation Society. "We must do all we can to safeguard this extremely rare and little understood species while there is still time."

Along with the IUCN designation, WCS is investing in the protection and restoration of the kipunji's remaining habitat and local conservation education of local people to help safeguard remaining populations.

Technorati Tags: Zoology
ION Publications LLC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source URL: http://www.scientificblogging.com/news_releases/africas_newly_discovered_kipunji_monkey_already_threatened_with_extinction

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #194 on: July 29, 2008, 01:17:20 PM »

Animal shelter caring for lost 44-pound cat
Posted by jryan July 29, 2008 06:22AM
AP Photo/Courier-Post, Al SchellA 44-pound cat who is in need of a loving home is seen, Monday, July 28, 2008 in Sicklerville. The cat was found outside, without a collar, in Voorhees, and is being cared for at the Camden County, N.J., Animal Shelter.
Officials at the Camden County Animal Shelter are trying to figure out how someone lost a 44-pound cat.

The cat was found outside, without a collar, in Voorhees.

The largest tabby on record weighed 46 pounds, 15 ounces. That cat, who lived in Australia, died in the 1980s.

Shelter officials are calling the kitty "Princess Chunk."

Shelter volunteer Deborah Wright tells The Courier Post of Cherry Hill the cat is built like a quarterback.

The cat's owner has until Saturday to reclaim her. After that, "Chunk" will be eligible for adoption.

Categories: Camden County

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/07/animal_shelter_caring_for_lost.html

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #195 on: July 29, 2008, 02:44:14 PM »

Good size earthquake here in Southern California just now.  Not on USGS site yet.  
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #196 on: July 29, 2008, 02:51:24 PM »

Good size earthquake here in Southern California just now.  Not on USGS site yet.  

FYI - biggest earthquake I've felt in probably 10 years.  Still no damage at my house, just some rather fun shaking  

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 03:03:57 PM by klaasend » Logged
yapperz1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #197 on: July 29, 2008, 03:02:07 PM »

Glad to know you are safe Klaas & no damage to your newly remodeled home. Just a bit of rockin n rollin.

I STAND WITH THE GIRL, NATALEE HOLLOWAY

ARUBA
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #198 on: July 29, 2008, 03:07:38 PM »

Glad to know you are safe Klaas & no damage to your newly remodeled home. Just a bit of rockin n rollin.

Yeah, it was fun actually.  Hope there's not alot of damage near the epicenter.  It really lasted a long time.
tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2008, 03:16:09 PM »

Yeah, it was fun actually.  Hope there's not alot of damage near the epicenter.  It really lasted a long time.
Klaas ~ so glad you're okay ~ hope our other CA monkeys are good, too.

Could you please (in all that free time you don't have  ) delete that stuff over in Caylee's thread . . . I posted there about the earthquake . . . exactly why I rarely post.  sigh.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.