April 23, 2024, 07:32:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #11 6/12 - 10/04/2008  (Read 182910 times)
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 01:17:30 PM »

For those of you who have read the books with her illustrations or read them to your children, grandchildren, or even those interested in garden who read her book on gardening, Tasha Tudor died yesterday.

Tasha Tudor died today at age 92. She was a wonderful gardener and artist. I know about her through her illustrations and the book, "Tasha Tudor's Garden."

I particularly liked the pictures of her pushing a wheelbarrow of manure for her roses and other perennials, while she was in her 80's, I think. Barefooted, no less. She is someone I wish I had known in person.

I always wanted to be like Tasha Tudor. Unfortunately, recently my wheelbarrow days are quite limited by the MS that plays havoc on my muscle and nerves when I am out in the heat.   

Yikes, Klaas, I went through a several-month-long upgrade/remodel about 21 months ago, which was the upgrade from hell.  Nothing was normal about my house, I learned going through the project.  I knew our house was built by and for a contractor who was from Florida.  Little did we (or our worker bees) know, he had reinforced the concrete such that this house could sustain earthquakes, hurricanes and jackhammers from hell.    But with it completed, we are happily enjoying it now but I wish I had opted for marble and not granite for my kitchen countertops and let me say, "never, never get black granite bathroom countertops" if you have a cat who sheds a lot and likes to drink from the faucet.

Klaas, we have been at 100 intermittently for a couple weeks.  We went from what was like fall weather, suddenly to the hottest temperatures of summer, quite a change, but today, I am thankful for not having to live through what the unfortunate people of the Midwest are suffering. 

I heard one volunteer describe 20 miles of highway under water and another who volunteersmanship is his way of life to say that this is like "Katrina," is very much an understatement.  So for those of you who do not already have enough on your volunteer plate or prayer list, let's remember these brave and unfortunate people of the midwest, the heart of America, where homes are destroyed, lives are lost and hope is through our volunteers, our monetary contributions and most of all through our prayers.

Klaas, about the Alabama couple on the Australian honeymoon, did you see Greta last night?

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 02:19:07 PM »

For those of you who have read the books with her illustrations or read them to your children, grandchildren, or even those interested in garden who read her book on gardening, Tasha Tudor died yesterday.

Tasha Tudor died today at age 92. She was a wonderful gardener and artist. I know about her through her illustrations and the book, "Tasha Tudor's Garden."

I particularly liked the pictures of her pushing a wheelbarrow of manure for her roses and other perennials, while she was in her 80's, I think. Barefooted, no less. She is someone I wish I had known in person.

I always wanted to be like Tasha Tudor. Unfortunately, recently my wheelbarrow days are quite limited by the MS that plays havoc on my muscle and nerves when I am out in the heat.   

Yikes, Klaas, I went through a several-month-long upgrade/remodel about 21 months ago, which was the upgrade from hell.  Nothing was normal about my house, I learned going through the project.  I knew our house was built by and for a contractor who was from Florida.  Little did we (or our worker bees) know, he had reinforced the concrete such that this house could sustain earthquakes, hurricanes and jackhammers from hell.    But with it completed, we are happily enjoying it now but I wish I had opted for marble and not granite for my kitchen countertops and let me say, "never, never get black granite bathroom countertops" if you have a cat who sheds a lot and likes to drink from the faucet.

Klaas, we have been at 100 intermittently for a couple weeks.  We went from what was like fall weather, suddenly to the hottest temperatures of summer, quite a change, but today, I am thankful for not having to live through what the unfortunate people of the Midwest are suffering. 

I heard one volunteer describe 20 miles of highway under water and another who volunteersmanship is his way of life to say that this is like "Katrina," is very much an understatement.  So for those of you who do not already have enough on your volunteer plate or prayer list, let's remember these brave and unfortunate people of the midwest, the heart of America, where homes are destroyed, lives are lost and hope is through our volunteers, our monetary contributions and most of all through our prayers.

Klaas, about the Alabama couple on the Australian honeymoon, did you see Greta last night?

Hi Tylergal - great to see you!

For the most part our construction has gone pretty well even though it always seems one thing leads to another.  Our big problem right now is that the tile guy messed up the order for the tile and we are short some of the blue tiles.  This is a problem as it took forever to get the tile in the first place.  We are being told that they think they can overnight it on Monday and we'll have it by Tuesday.  I hope that's the case as we need the fireplace done so our carpet can be installed on Friday the 27th.  I should know by Monday if it''s going to be an issue.

Black...eeeks not in this house with our 2 Jack Russells and their shedding, LOL   We do have a dark burgandy couch but it's leather so the dog hairs don't stick, LOL 

Seems like it might be a little cooler today.  Like you it's the drastic changes in temperature that are hard.  Lately it seems like one day it's 60 and the next 100.  Hard to get used to.  Also like you, my husband is about useless when it gets this hot because of his MS. 

Are you talking about the man who was just convicted of killing his wife on their honeymoon snorkeling?  I missed Greta but I did read about the case.  What a jerk, I'm glad they found him guilty.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 02:34:14 PM »

I was at work and saw this story.  This man makes me sick.  He murdered his wife and as you can see he watched another diver try and go rescue her.  He said he went for help instead of trying to save her but as you can see he is just floating there looking and still didn't help.  He is an experienced diver also.

The girls father said he wanted her to take out extra life insurance before they got married and put it in his name but the girl told him she did when she really didn't.  She didn't put anything in his name.
================================

This Oct. 22, 2003, photo supplied by Queensland Police shows novice diver Christina Watson of the United States lying motionless on the sea floor, rear at right, as an unidentified diver poses for the photo, center, while a dive leader, left, partially hidden, hurries to Watson. An Australian coroner on Friday ruled that Watson's husband, Daniel Gabriel Watson, should face a murder trial in the death of his wife, who drowned while on a reef dive during their honeymoon in 2003.
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 02:58:23 PM »

Klaas, I trust you will get your tile.  We had a situation similar on the slate in one of our bathrooms and I asked them not to put it down until the extra shipment arrived (we only needed 4 pieces but they don't sell it like that on order) that we needed arrived. It looks pretty and the blue pearl granite that we already had installed was a great match.   

Klaas, San, this is the right person.  He is from Hoover (Birmingham) area and she is from Helena (I think that is sort of in the area where SB lives, but not sure).  San got it right, not only is he a POS, he is a big POS.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 06:51:47 PM »

Hi Tylergal...long time no see.

Forgive if this has been posted....have not read much in this thread recently.

Study:
Chimps calm each other with hugs, kisses    smooch

9:16 PM EDT, June 16, 2008
WASHINGTON - For most folks, a nice hug and some sympathy can help a bit after we get pushed around. Turns out, chimpanzees use hugs and kisses the same way. And it works. Researchers studying people's closest genetic relatives found that stress was reduced in chimps that were victims of aggression if a third chimp stepped in to offer consolation.

"Consolation usually took the form of a kiss or embrace," said Dr. Orlaith N. Fraser of the Research Center in Evolutionary Anthropology and Paleoecology at Liverpool John Moores University in England.

"This is particularly interesting," she said, because this behavior is rarely seen other than after a conflict.

"If a kiss was used, the consoler would press his or her open mouth against the recipient's body, usually on the top of the head or their back. An embrace consisted of the consoler wrapping one or both arms around the recipient."

The result was a reduction of stress behavior such as scratching or self-grooming by the victim of aggression, Fraser and colleagues report in Tuesday's edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Dr. Frans de Waal of the Yerkes Primate Center at Emory University in Atlanta said the study is important because it shows the relationship between consolation and stress reduction. Previous researchers have claimed that consolation had no effect on stress, said de Waal, who was not part of Fraser's research team.

"This study removes doubt that consolation really does what the term suggests: provide relief to distressed parties after conflict. The evidence is compelling and makes it likely that consolation behavior is an expression of empathy," de Waal said.

De Waal suggested that this evidence of empathy in apes is "perhaps equivalent to what in human children is called 'sympathetic concern.'"

That behavior in children includes touching and hugging of distressed family members and "is in fact identical to that of apes, and so the comparison is not far-fetched," he said.

While chimps show this empathy, monkeys do not, he added.

There is also suggestive evidence of such behavior in large-brained birds and dogs, said Fraser, but it has not yet been shown that it reduces stress levels in those animals.

Previous research on conflict among chimps concentrated on cases where there is reconciliation between victim and aggressor, with little attention to intervention by a third party.

Fraser and colleagues studied a group of chimps at the Chester Zoo in England from January 2005 to September 2006, recording instances of aggression such as a bite, hit, rush, trample, chase or threat.

The results show that "chimpanzees calm distressed recipients of aggression by consoling them with a friendly gesture," Fraser said.

Consolation was most likely to occur between chimpanzees who already had valuable relationships, she added.

The research was supported by the Leakey Trust.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nationworld/politics/wire/sns-ap-sci-there-there-now,0,1591656.story

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 08:29:01 PM »

<snip>

Hi TG.  Here is some info on that couple.

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=2942.0

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 08:33:40 PM »

<snip>

I was at work and saw this story.  This man makes me sick.  He murdered his wife and as you can see he watched another diver try and go rescue her.  He said he went for help instead of trying to save her but as you can see he is just floating there looking and still didn't help.  He is an experienced diver also.

The girls father said he wanted her to take out extra life insurance before they got married and put it in his name but the girl told him she did when she really didn't.  She didn't put anything in his name.

This Oct. 22, 2003, photo supplied by Queensland Police shows novice diver Christina Watson of the United States lying motionless on the sea floor, rear at right, as an unidentified diver poses for the photo, center, while a dive leader, left, partially hidden, hurries to Watson. An Australian coroner on Friday ruled that Watson's husband, Daniel Gabriel Watson, should face a murder trial in the death of his wife, who drowned while on a reef dive during their honeymoon in 2003.

Hi San

The husband is not in this picture.  I found some info on this case:

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 10:16:40 PM »

<snip>

Hi San

Thanks Bearly I didn't know that was another person in the picture.

This guy is a murderer.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 07:34:48 PM »

Our new Samsung 52" LCD HDTV in our unfinished livingroom, lol 

Yes, that is GREEN DAY 

And this is what it looks like from my computer desk, lol (lighting not the best)

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 08:26:11 PM »

Klaas, is that the name of your paint 'GREEN DAY?'  You have a clear shot of your TV in the living room from you computer.  Now, can I ask, is that a dedicated computer room or are you in another room, i.e., library, bedroom, etc.  I am trying to imagine where you are.  Smile

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2008, 08:45:52 PM »

Klaas, is that the name of your paint 'GREEN DAY?'  You have a clear shot of your TV in the living room from you computer.  Now, can I ask, is that a dedicated computer room or are you in another room, i.e., library, bedroom, etc.  I am trying to imagine where you are.  Smile

I was joking, Green Day is the band and it is a DVD of Green Day on the TV.  The TV is not hooked up to the satellite dish yet 

My computer desk is at the far side of the room in the dining room area.  We really never use the dining room but do have a dining table and hutch.  So it's not a dedicated computer room.  I could have a computer room but choose not to, I'd rather be in the living room/dining room where the action is instead of hiding in a room in the back 

The living room, dining room/computer area are all open with only a half wall dividing them.  The kitchen is open as well so I guess it's called a "great room". 
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 07:09:17 PM »

I was joking, Green Day is the band and it is a DVD of Green Day on the TV.  The TV is not hooked up to the satellite dish yet 

My computer desk is at the far side of the room in the dining room area.  We really never use the dining room but do have a dining table and hutch.  So it's not a dedicated computer room.  I could have a computer room but choose not to, I'd rather be in the living room/dining room where the action is instead of hiding in a room in the back 

The living room, dining room/computer area are all open with only a half wall dividing them.  The kitchen is open as well so I guess it's called a "great room". 

Klaas, I have enjoyed following your construction.  Are you going to be able to have your 4th of July party?  Everything is beautiful.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 08:28:24 PM »

Hi BlueMoon - yes, I'm certain we will be able to have our 4th of July party.  As of today, it looks like the fireplace will be done before Friday.  Carpet will be laid on Friday and we will be able to move back into the area over the weekend.  The exterior of the house (new paint) won't be done before the 4th but that's OK, no big deal.  We'll just be happy to get back into the living room and master bedroom.   

I should have some more photos tomorrow to post 
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008, 08:51:46 PM »

Hi BlueMoon - yes, I'm certain we will be able to have our 4th of July party.  As of today, it looks like the fireplace will be done before Friday.  Carpet will be laid on Friday and we will be able to move back into the area over the weekend.  The exterior of the house (new paint) won't be done before the 4th but that's OK, no big deal.  We'll just be happy to get back into the living room and master bedroom.   

That's great.  I know you cannot wait to get everything back in order. I love the fireplace. AND the TV is awesome.  I have a 42" and we love it.  Older we get the more we need the big screen to properly focus.

So you have completely quit smoking?  Me and hubby are going to give it a go after vacation.  Guess he will go the route of nicotine gum and I will go with the new pill they came out with.  I have already tried the patch in the past. It worked until after the 3 months and as soon as I quit wearing it it was back to smoking.  Hope this time will be easier. 

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 09:06:57 PM »

That's great.  I know you cannot wait to get everything back in order. I love the fireplace. AND the TV is awesome.  I have a 42" and we love it.  Older we get the more we need the big screen to properly focus.

So you have completely quit smoking?  Me and hubby are going to give it a go after vacation.  Guess he will go the route of nicotine gum and I will go with the new pill they came out with.  I have already tried the patch in the past. It worked until after the 3 months and as soon as I quit wearing it it was back to smoking.  Hope this time will be easier. 

Yes, completely quit smoking and actually no desire but I'm still on the 7mg patch right now.  So you went back to smoking after being on the patch for 3 months?  I was on the patch many years ago but cheated, I'd wear it during the day then take it off at night and smoke, LOL.

My husband actually quit cold turkey, no patch.  We've both been doing great.  Smoking is just no longer an option for me, I really would rather breathe than smoke 
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2008, 10:50:55 PM »

<snip>

Hi San

Thanks Bearly I didn't know that was another person in the picture.

This guy is a murderer.
I saw some of this story a night or two ago; I agree with you San...he is a murderer!  The report I saw said there is a witness that saw him giving her a "bear hug" right before she went to the bottom!

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008, 10:54:59 PM »

My sister sent me this link today, some of you may have seen it.  It's a little over 11 minutes long...but well worth watching.  It is a very touching story!

http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=3cb212972883e07b3716

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 11:01:12 PM »

Yes, completely quit smoking and actually no desire but I'm still on the 7mg patch right now.  So you went back to smoking after being on the patch for 3 months?  I was on the patch many years ago but cheated, I'd wear it during the day then take it off at night and smoke, LOL.

My husband actually quit cold turkey, no patch.  We've both been doing great.  Smoking is just no longer an option for me, I really would rather breathe than smoke 

Klaas,
So glad to hear that the remodel is almost finished, and you've been successful in "kicking the habit"!  I hope you'll soon forget to put your patch on one morning...and not even notice, lol..  Awesome about your hubby quitting cold turkey, he was probably inspired by all you went through!  I know I need to quit too, I don't ever want to go through what you did!

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2008, 01:48:38 AM »

Klaas, I think I know the floor plan you have now, so I can imagine where you are.  I am into paint right now, so naturally I was thinking that was the name of a paint color.  I am always painting and repainting.  I can never be satisfied. I love green paints.  I don't know why but I am into off-whites and greens right now.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2008, 09:46:35 AM »

Klaas, I think I know the floor plan you have now, so I can imagine where you are.  I am into paint right now, so naturally I was thinking that was the name of a paint color.  I am always painting and repainting.  I can never be satisfied. I love green paints.  I don't know why but I am into off-whites and greens right now.

I'm into greens right now as well. I think I'm going to paint the exterior a sage green with white trim 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.