March 29, 2024, 07:50:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #11 6/12 - 10/04/2008  (Read 182025 times)
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #220 on: August 03, 2008, 07:11:27 PM »

Did my avatar get larger, or did the boxed area it goes in get smaller? 

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #221 on: August 03, 2008, 07:30:57 PM »

Gee, I'm not sure either Shell.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #222 on: August 03, 2008, 10:14:35 PM »

Looks fine to me but I know every once in a while something happens to the forum software and things are a bit out of whack.  Seems fine now though. 
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #223 on: August 04, 2008, 04:58:06 AM »

Congratulations to the new moderators:
Blonde, 2NJ, Nut, Muffy and Barely

Thanks for all the work and for doing a great job:
San
Crazybabyborg
Mrs. Red
Bearlyhere

and to the leaders of the pack:
Red
Dugga
Klaasend

Thanks, Shell!

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #224 on: August 04, 2008, 05:01:27 AM »

Congrats to our newest Global Moderator Bearlyhere!  She joins a great group of moderators that have been a huge help to me keeping things running smoothly in the forum:

Global Moderators

San
Crazybabyborg
Blonde
2NJ
Nut44x4
Muffybee (been without internet for a while)
Mrs. Red (been too busy with her normal job - hasn't been around alot lately)
Bearlyhere (new as of today)

Adminstrators

Klaasend
Red
Dugga

Congrats Bearlyhere! And sincere thanks to all Administrators and Global Moderators for everything you do for us!  This is truly the BEST forum!

Thanks, TM, I'll try to keep up, but it's a tough crowd!

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #225 on: August 04, 2008, 05:04:03 AM »

Thanks, Shell.  How is it going with the house/insurance, etc.?  My SIL/BIL are still battling with the insurance company over the amount since their house fire a year ago here in NJ.....they gutted the home and the roof is on, as far as I know.  They've been living elsewhere, but that's another insurance story.

It is not going well, I am sorry to say. We (supposedly) have plenty of coverage. Their cost estimate and the estimates we got are extremly different. Our adjuster is not settling this in a timely manner, he has lowballed us, and so far they have not met their contractual obligation. Everyone that knows the facts is baffled as to why they are being this way. October 22 is the 1 year mark. If they don't settle this fairly, and soon, we have to take the next step. We just want what is rightfully ours and to get on with our life.The bottom line is, as a rule the insurance company does not give a rats behind about the people. Money is their bottom line. I am very upset about it all, and I sympathize with your SIL/BIL situation.

I'm so sorry, Shell.  That really stinks, but you are right about the bottom line.  They need it to be good so their leader gets several million as an end of the year bonus!

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #226 on: August 04, 2008, 05:32:19 AM »

We were hit with a bad storm last night, just following my last post around 7pm on the Caylee Marie Anthony thread.  We didn't have power for hours and when they changed the original time of restored power from midnight to 6am, we went to bed.  Son said it finally did come back between 1am-2am.  Lightning brought down wires at the end of our street, but when the crew left around 10pm, power was still out in other sections, so I'm assuming they were all linked in a grid, or whatever.  We don't have a generator, so it gets pretty frustrating when these things happen.

Shell, I agree with MuffyBee and am sorry you are getting the run around.  Although the circumstances of your fire & my BIL/SIL's are different, the insurance performance is the same.  I do hope it works out for you and please do keep us informed.  You have enlightened us to things we don't think of and are not prepared for, should the moment arise. 

One day when we were in NJ last week, there was such a bad storm.  We had just gone to breakfast on the boardwalk, and the sky opened up, the thunder and lightning over the ocean were pretty fierce. (It was so invigorating).  Hail started banging on everything, it was so loud.  The streets near the boardwalk were flooded because the rain came down so fast, it could not drain quickly enough.

When we were finished eating, it was over (very convenient).  When we got back to the motel, it looked like there had been a big ice cube fight.  It was fun to walk through the ice with our bathing suits on.

2NJ, we were in Ocean City.  The pictures you asked about came off of the internet and I don't know where they were from.  If I come across them again, I'll let you know.  NJ is such a beautiful state, especially if you like sand, water, fish, seafood (especially crabs), fresh fruit and veggies warm right off the land, eating outside, walking the boardwalk, fresh cut fries with lots of cider vinegar and ketchup, and going on the rides.  We also like riding in my brother's boat and his kayak. 

I have 2 brothers with houses down the shore and I invariably run into another one of my other brothers and his family while we are there.  We get to see Nights in Venice from my brother's dock.  My brothers work so much during the year, and their kids are always going to some practice or game, that we don't get to see each other much.  So we get to connect and the kids get to see their parents acting like goofballs.  No matter how old you are, when you get together with your siblings, you immediately go into age regression.  Two of my friends from elementary school have houses in Ocean City also, we go there for "girls" weekends with other friends from High School.  Then we get even younger!  Lots and lots of good memories there in Jersey.  I remember going to Wildwood for Senior week, 'nuff said.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 05:42:51 AM by Bearlyhere » Logged

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #227 on: August 04, 2008, 05:45:03 AM »

A friend sent this remarkable story about his wife to me today. I know you'll like it! My ex-wife started taking flying lessons about the time our divorce started and she got her license shortly before our divorce was final, later that same year.

Yesterday afternoon, she narrowly escaped injury in the aircraft she was piloting when she was forced to make an emergency landing in Southern Tennessee because of bad weather. Thank God our kids were with me at the Beach House this weekend.

The NTSB issued a preliminary report, citing pilot error: Tina was flying a single engine aircraft in IFR (instrument flight rating) while only having obtained a VFR (visual flight rating).

The absence of a post-crash fire was likely due to insufficient fuel on board. No one on the ground was injured.

Photograph below was taken at the scene and shows the extent of damage to her aircraft.

She was very lucky.

I don't care who you are, that's funny!!!!!

You found my broom!!!  I never leave home without it.   
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 05:49:15 AM by Bearlyhere » Logged

I believe in miracles!
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #228 on: August 04, 2008, 10:51:46 AM »

2NJ-Isn't it aweful when the power goes out. I don't know what to do with myself when it happens at night. Sleep sounds like the best thing to do. Although, if the air goes out and you have heat and humidity, it makes it hard to sleep.

I will for sure keep you posted on the insurance thing and you do the same. Sounds like the BIL/SIL are in the same predicament.

That's exactly how it was the other night.  It was humid, and I had to open windows.  You worry about surges when the power comes back on....thinking 'did we turn off as much as we could?'.  Food in fridge?  No shower, etc....Nothin' to do!!!  We found out it was actually 3am when the power came back on...younger son was mistaken.  I'm actually thinking that the work crew called in on overtime milked it so that they'd have more hours in their pocket.  Have seen it before, but can't prove it this time. 

SIL told us yesterday that the contractor worked 1 week on their home, and found a black mold condition in the basement.  Now, the insurance company isn't sure they want to pay for that clean up, which SIL said is 9K...the contractor has other jobs, therefore, everything at their home is at a standstill.  SIL said it will be in remediation, unless she comes up with the $.  My thought is, the insurance company let this house sit for a year, while SIL/BIL paid for water/sewer/taxes they couldn't use, no heat or air conditioning, so no surprise about the mold.  In the meantime, they were forced, going on a year ago, to live in a hotel, $100 (approx.) a day, because of the insurance policy.  They had started out staying with MIL and agreed to pay her rent, but insurance company poopoo'd that based on MIL having to declare that as income/pay tax, etc. It's all so convoluted.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #229 on: August 04, 2008, 11:55:41 AM »

Sad news:

http://www.tmz.com/2008/08/04/morgan-freeman-injured-in-car-accident/

Morgan Freeman Injured in Car Accident
Posted Aug 4th 2008 10:39AM by TMZ Staff

TMZ has learned that Academy Award winning actor Morgan Freeman, 71, has been injured in a serious car accident in Mississippi.

Cops tell us the "Dark Knight" star was in a one car accident around 11:30 PM last night north of the small town of Ruleville. He was airlifted from the accident scene to a hospital in Memphis, Tenn. We're told alcohol is not suspected as a factor in the wreck, news of which was first reported by MediaTakeout.

Freeman's condition is unknown, but state troopers tell us he was talking at the scene before he was taken to the hospital. The condition of an unidentified female passenger in the car also is unknown.

Story developing ...

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #230 on: August 04, 2008, 10:46:47 PM »

Sad news:

http://www.tmz.com/2008/08/04/morgan-freeman-injured-in-car-accident/

Morgan Freeman Injured in Car Accident
Posted Aug 4th 2008 10:39AM by TMZ Staff

TMZ has learned that Academy Award winning actor Morgan Freeman, 71, has been injured in a serious car accident in Mississippi.

Cops tell us the "Dark Knight" star was in a one car accident around 11:30 PM last night north of the small town of Ruleville. He was airlifted from the accident scene to a hospital in Memphis, Tenn. We're told alcohol is not suspected as a factor in the wreck, news of which was first reported by MediaTakeout.

Freeman's condition is unknown, but state troopers tell us he was talking at the scene before he was taken to the hospital. The condition of an unidentified female passenger in the car also is unknown.

Story developing ...

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/04/morgan.freeman.accident/index.html#cnnSTCPhoto 
(CNN) -- Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman was in serious condition but in "good spirits" Monday at a Tennessee hospital after a car wreck near his home in northern Mississippi, his business partner said.

Sunday night's wreck -- in which Freeman flipped a car owned by his passenger, according to a witness -- left him with a broken left upper arm, other fractures and neck and shoulder injuries, Bill Luckett said.

"He's in good spirits, but he's in a lot of pain," said Luckett, who co-owns a restaurant and blues club with Freeman.

Freeman and a woman were extracted by paramedics after the 11:30 p.m. wreck and airlifted to the hospital, according to Angie Underwood, a Mississippi Highway Patrol spokeswoman.

The condition of the woman, Memphis resident Demaris Meyer -- whom Luckett described as a mutual friend of his and Freeman's -- wasn't released.

Freeman may have surgery as early as Monday evening and could need three to four months to recover, Luckett told reporters outside the Regional Medical Center in Memphis.

The wreck happened on a state highway about five miles outside Charleston, Mississippi, where Freeman has a home. A witness said Freeman was driving Meyer's car when it flipped.

"I heard a noise outside that sounded like a car sliding," said Bill Rogers, who lives on the highway where the accident happened. "I turned around and looked out the window real quick, and I saw a car flipping bumper-to-bumper, head over heels."

Rogers, a former police officer and sheriff's deputy, said Freeman and Meyer were unconscious when the car came to rest on its wheels. But by the time he returned from calling an ambulance, both were talking, he said.

"He wanted to get out of the car and lay on the ground," Rogers said. "I told him no, he needed to stay put until the rescue people got there."

A spokeswoman for the Memphis hospital, Milla Borden, confirmed that Freeman was in serious condition there Monday.

The cause of the wreck is being investigated, the Highway Patrol said. But Rogers said it had rained earlier in the evening, and he saw no sign of alcohol or drug use at the scene.

"My understanding of it is she was going to give him a ride home and she did not know the way, so he was going to drive the vehicle," Rogers said.

Rogers said the car flew about 45 feet before it landed on its trunk, smashing open the compartment and scattering papers.

"The car was torn up so bad I couldn't tell what it was," he said.

According to The Associated Press, Mississippi Highway Patrol spokesman Sgt. Ben Williams said Freeman was driving a 1997 Nissan Maxima. Meyer and Freeman were wearing seat belts, Williams said.

The crash site is about 90 miles south of Memphis and 35 miles southeast of Clarksdale, Mississippi, where Freeman and Luckett own the Madidi restaurant and the Ground Zero blues club.

Freeman and Meyer were at Luckett's home in Clarksdale before the crash happened, Luckett said.

Freeman won an Academy Award for best supporting actor in 2005 for his role in the gritty boxing film "Million Dollar Baby." He has been nominated for Oscars three other times, for the movies "Street Smart," "Driving Miss Daisy" and "The Shawshank Redemption." Gallery: The career of Morgan Freeman »

He's currently appearing on movie screens in the action film "Wanted" and in the Batman film "The Dark Knight."

He was born in Memphis and grew up in the Mississippi Delta region, moving back to open the blues club and the restaurant in 2001. In a 2005 interview with CNN, he said returning to the area was "one of the smartest moves I've made in life."

"My aim in life, when I graduated from high school, was to get out of Mississippi," he said. "I started coming back in about 1979, because my parents moved back, which I couldn't understand. What in the world would make you come back here? It took me about 20 years to figure that out."

Freeman's nonprofit foundation has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to schools in the historically poor region, and he established the club in part to preserve the Delta's musical heritage.

Rogers said Freeman "has been a fixture here for a very, very long time," though Sunday night was the first time he had met him.

"He's got the fame, he's got the fortune, yet he's got a level head and used that to help people," he said. "We're all kind of used to seeing him around the community here, so we're not surprised when we do see him."

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
crazybabyborg
« Reply #231 on: August 05, 2008, 01:18:44 AM »

I don't know where to post this, but maybe here is ok. I just need a sounding board, and you guys have a lot of sense, so "muse" this with me, OK? 

Long story but: My ex-husband filed bankruptcy. I've had a Chase Credit Card since 1989. The balance was a $20.00 credit. After he filed, a different, additional Chase account appeared on my Credit Report with a $22,000.00 balance. I have Credit Reports dating back to 2004, and that account has never been on it.

The calls started from Chase Collections, informing me, and obnoxiously threatening me that I was now responsible for the balance. I was told that the reason it hadn't appeared on my Credit Report in the past is because he was the primary card holder, but I was now responsible. I was told they had done an investigation, and I had signed the application. I was told to send just a small payment, I was threatened with legal action, and harassed up to 8 times a day with calls. This began in April.

I responded in writing that according to the Federal Trade Commission, a credit card grantor MUST report under any party's SS#, who is monetarily and legally responsible for a credit account, to that party's Credit Report. A Joint Account would be reported under both names. An authorized user is not responsible for unpaid balances and the card company MAY report under the SS# of an authorized user or may not. I cited the source (Federal Trade Commission), and included my Credit Reports from 2004 until present (a total of 6 reports). I was also able to obtain my ex's Credit Report from him that listed the account as INDIVIDUAL for him. I also insisted the calls to stop immediately and that any contact be made in writing.

It did no good at all. The calls continued, the threats continued, and I sent a second, STRONGLY worded correspondence and copied it to my lawyer, who sent them a cease and desist letter. It did no good at all. He sent a second one, to no avail. I would go to bed, and be so enraged, I couldn't sleep. I'd get a call in the morning and be unable to focus at work. I may have lived a charmed life, but I'm simply unaccustomed to being talked to like a dog and threatened with loosing everything I've struggled to hang onto. One, particularly nasty call, ended with this bitch from Chase telling me that I could expect to pay the consequences through my credit if I intended to continue to ignore the account balance, and I responded that I had no intention of paying for an account that wasn't mine. She spit, "Oh, we'll see and have a nice day." The very next day, my credit report changed to add my son on the account as joint with me.

I started calling them, at that point, and my hair started coming out in clumps. My doc thought it was probably a thyroid thing but the tests were negative. My shower stopped up and backed up water ruined the wood floors in the hall behind it. The plumber said someone had thrown a wig down the drain. It was my hair, and I have bald spots.

Chase removed my son from the report, but began reporting the account as mine and listed it as the subject of bankruptcy! Every Credit Card and account I had immediately closed at "grantors request".

I finally sent all the correspondence, my credit reports, along with a narrative, to the Comptroller of Currency and my State Attorney General. Within 48 hours, a representative from the executive office of Chase in Chicago called to cheerfully say that I had never been anything but an authorized user on the account, and that it might take up to 7 weeks to show the account removed from my Credit Report, and have a nice day!!!! They had NO explanation for what I had been through, NO explanation why they were suddenly paying attention to the exact information I was supplying each and every caller, and NO way to restore the accounts that closed due to their false reports.

I am livid!!! I keep thinking about people who don't keep tangible records, or whose life experience hasn't taught them to be tenacious, or people who simply never consider that fighting against a giant such as Chase could have a positive result.

Did you all know that when you sign a Credit Card application (which I did not), that you waive your right to sue? You agree that if there is a dispute, it will go to mediation and that the amount of settlement will not exceed the balance of the account? It's in the fine print. I want them to regret their tactics. I want to change their tactics, I want them to feel as intimidated as they made me feel. I want them to loose sleep and smoke two packs of cigarettes a day and not be able to work. I want them to treat people with courtesy and decency and respect.

I hate people who sue at nothing and I do not think the world owes me a thing. I'm not a person who feels "entitled". Maybe it's best to just suck it up and let it fade away. Anyway, I'd appreciate your thoughts, and it's ok, whatever your opinion and perspective is. If I didn't value what you guys have to say, I wouldn't have asked. TIA!

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #232 on: August 05, 2008, 01:59:46 AM »

BRAVO CBB!  Sorry about your hair loss though it was clearly lost due to stress.

My FIL got a bill from Medicare saying he owed them over $30,000.  It went back to a $300 bill that got messed up years ago (it was paid) but ended up not showing as paid by Medicare.  Long story short, he called the Medicare fraud division and was told absolutely DO NOT pay it.  Looks like it might have been some kind of inside scam. 

Also, credit card companys will write off the bankruptsy account then sell it to a private party who will try and collect on it.  Was it actually Chase contacting you or someone saying they were calling on behalf of Chase?

Glad you got it resolved finally but so sorry you had to go through it!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #233 on: August 05, 2008, 02:20:08 AM »

BRAVO CBB!  Sorry about your hair loss though it was clearly lost due to stress.

My FIL got a bill from Medicare saying he owed them over $30,000.  It went back to a $300 bill that got messed up years ago (it was paid) but ended up not showing as paid by Medicare.  Long story short, he called the Medicare fraud division and was told absolutely DO NOT pay it.  Looks like it might have been some kind of inside scam. 

Also, credit card companys will write off the bankruptsy account then sell it to a private party who will try and collect on it.  Was it actually Chase contacting you or someone saying they were calling on behalf of Chase?

Three calls were from a collection agency in Texas, but they kicked it back to Chase after I presented them with my documentation. All the rest were actually from Chase.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #234 on: August 05, 2008, 02:42:01 AM »

Three calls were from a collection agency in Texas, but they kicked it back to Chase after I presented them with my documentation. All the rest were actually from Chase. I forgot to add that even though the account was apparently opened while we were married, I honestly was never aware he had it, and certainly never used the card.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #235 on: August 05, 2008, 09:45:40 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,397603,00.html

Researchers Discover 125,000 Gorillas in Congo Forests
Tuesday , August 05, 2008

EDINBURGH, Scotland —

Wildlife researchers said Tuesday that they've discovered 125,000 western lowland gorillas deep in the forests of the Republic of Congo, calling it a major increase in the animal's estimated population.

The Wildlife Conservation Society, based at New York's Bronx Zoo, and the Republic of Congo said their census counted the newly discovered gorillas in two areas of the northern part of the country covering 18,000 square miles.

Previous estimates, dating to the 1980s, put the number of western lowland gorillas at less than 100,000. But the animal's numbers were believed to have fallen by at least 50 percent since then due to hunting and disease, researchers said.

The newly discovered gorilla population now puts their estimated numbers at between 175,000 to 225,000.

"This is a very significant discovery because of the terrible decline in population of these magnificent creatures to Ebola and bush meat," said Emma Stokes, one of the research team.

• Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Natural Science Center.

The researchers in the central African nation of Republic of Congo — neighbor of the much larger Congo — worked out the population figures by counting the sleeping "nests" gorillas make. The creatures are too reclusive and shy to count individually.

Craig Stanford, professor of anthropology and biology at the University of Southern California, said he is aware of the new study.

"If these new census results are confirmed, they are incredibly important and exciting, the kind of good news we rarely find in the conservation of highly endangered animals."

He added that independent confirmation will be valuable because nest counts vary depending on the specific census method used.

Western lowland gorillas are one of four gorilla subspecies, which also include mountain gorillas, eastern lowland gorillas and Cross River gorillas. All are labeled either endangered or critically endangered by the International Union for Conservation of Nature.

While calling the new census important, Stokes said it does not mean gorilla numbers in the wild are now safe.

"Far from being safe, the gorillas are still under threat from Ebola and hunting for bush meat. We must not become complacent about this. Ebola can wipe out thousands in a short period of time," she said.

The report was released as primatologists in Edinburgh, Scotland warned that nearly half of the world's 634 types of primates are in danger of becoming extinct due to human activity.

That figure, carried in a comprehensive review of the planet's apes, monkeys, and lemurs, included primate species and subspecies.

Scientists meeting at the International Primatological Society Congress in Edinburgh said they hoped the report will help spur global action to defend mankind's nearest relatives from deforestation and hunting.

Primatologists warned that species from the giant mountain gorillas of central Africa to the tiny mouse lemurs of Madagascar are on the "Red List" for threatened species maintained by the IUCN.

The review was funded by Conservation International, the Margot Marsh Biodiversity Foundation, Disney's Animal Kingdom and the IUCN. It is part of an examination of the state of the world's mammals due to be released at the 4th IUCN World Conservation Congress in Barcelona, Spain, in October.

"It is not too late for our close cousins the primates, and what we have now is a challenge to turn this around," said Russell A. Mittermeier, president of Conservation International and the chairman of the IUCN Species Survival Commission's primate specialist group.

"The review paints a bleak picture. Some primates are quite literally being eaten to extinction. But it is by no means a doomsday scenario. There is a lot of will here among these scientists in Edinburgh and in the countries where primates live."

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #236 on: August 05, 2008, 11:19:38 AM »

I am so sorry for what you've been through CBB!  The way you handled it is very admirable!  Those people are ruthless and will say anything.  Years ago my husband broke his hand, when the cast was removed it was very obvious that the break had healed incorrectly; which required surgery and pins to correct it.  Needless to say he couldn't work for a while and we got behind on some bills.  Our credit card balances were always very small and affordable until they started tacking on all the "hidden" charges that occur when you can't make your payment on time.  I took all the nasty calls to heart and made myself very sick which just caused more bills!  I'll never forget some of the things that were said...my husband wasn't a MAN since he chose to pay the electricity bill instead of their's...and so on.  Go get 'em girl! 

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #237 on: August 05, 2008, 11:44:57 AM »

I am so sorry for what you've been through CBB!  The way you handled it is very admirable!  Those people are ruthless and will say anything.  Years ago my husband broke his hand, when the cast was removed it was very obvious that the break had healed incorrectly; which required surgery and pins to correct it.  Needless to say he couldn't work for a while and we got behind on some bills.  Our credit card balances were always very small and affordable until they started tacking on all the "hidden" charges that occur when you can't make your payment on time.  I took all the nasty calls to heart and made myself very sick which just caused more bills!  I'll never forget some of the things that were said...my husband wasn't a MAN since he chose to pay the electricity bill instead of their's...and so on.  Go get 'em girl! 

We've had the same experience, here, and I was the one who had to take the calls.  In the past decade, DH was unemployed a couple of times for long periods...the 1st was downsizing of a job he held for 26 years and the second was due to back problems which prevented him from performing his duties & they would not provide a light duty job while he was mending.  My salary only went so far and the boys were still in college.  We were hurt by the hidden costs, as well.  One card went over limit due to this and I'm still paying it off.  I worked with people who had once been in the collection business and know through this association that there is no sympathy or consideration given to the 'debtor'....they are hired and compensated based on their ability to collect, at all cost...no mercy.

CBB's circumstances are a little different and I'm glad she took the measures she did.  Hopefully, her credit record will be restored. 

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
crazybabyborg
« Reply #238 on: August 05, 2008, 01:45:40 PM »

Thanks for the sentiments and sharing your stories! 

I DO understand! This particular account is a little different, but make no mistake, I am struggling to keep up with the accounts that did legitimately fall on me due to my ex's bankruptcy. My divorce papers clearly state that all marital debt was awarded to him by the court, and it means nothing now that he filed. All of the payment history comes to me as well. So every late payment will stay with me for years. Get a load of this: The Chase account that was mine all along had been bumped from 10% to a 29% interest rate. I had a $20,000.00 credit limit, and the balance was $7,000.00. Never a late payment. Without notice, Chase dropped the limit to $5,000.00 and bumped up the interest rate because the balance exceeded it!!! I busted my butt to pay it off as quickly as I could and that's how I ended up with a credit. I wanted to BE SURE I sent enough to cover the fees.

I made a payment late by one day ( next day bank posting that I hadn't figured on ) on the mortgage trying to throw everything I could at the 29% Chase account and sure enough, that one is listed as a negative account on my Credit Report.

People who are doing all they can should be treated with respect. That simple courtesy should be afforded to everyone.
yapperz1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #239 on: August 05, 2008, 06:43:24 PM »

CBB you are allowed to write a letter of explanation & request it be attached to your credit report.
Honest creditors will take the circumstances into account.

I STAND WITH THE GIRL, NATALEE HOLLOWAY

ARUBA
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.