April 23, 2024, 12:46:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #11 6/12 - 10/04/2008  (Read 182907 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #280 on: August 23, 2008, 07:09:06 PM »

On a lighter note.... Expensive, but sooooooo cute!
Heavenly Handfuls Li'l Monkey Hugs Collectible Baby Monkey Doll Collection
http://www.collectiblestoday.com/ct/product/prdid-913327.jsp

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #281 on: August 24, 2008, 04:31:56 AM »

Update

We have decided to get on with the rebuilding of our home. We haven't settled with the insurance but we really need to move  forward. (The air conditioner in this rental was out all last week    ) Our builder is going to run the plans through the city which should take 3-6 weeks (I think). It is so exciting!

One of the ladies who lost their home is a writer. She is working on a book of stories from the firestorm.

Another lady is an artist and has been commissioned by some to do paintings of things they lost so they will have something to help them remember.

The 1 year anniversary of the fire is October 22. I can't believe it. That is only 2 months away. I often think of Katrina and wonder how those people are doing. Things do not move very fast in the aftermath of a disaster. At least not as fast as we thought they would.

Mark Twain, whose daughter died of meningitis, said losing a child is like your house burning down. At first you’re crushed by the calamity that the house is gone. And then, over the months and years to follow, you remember all the precious and irreplaceable things that were found only in that house. The ripples of grief stretch out of sight.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #282 on: August 24, 2008, 09:15:30 AM »

Shell ~ You must be very excited indeed, getting closer to getting your home rebuilt.  I remember when you first posted about the fire.  You said it's been almost a year.   I hope it won't be too much longer before you and your family are out of temporary housing and into your own home again, to start creating memories of home, together.  It reminds me of Dorothy:  "There's no place like home.  There's no place like home."  Please keep us posted. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #283 on: August 24, 2008, 08:45:25 PM »

On a lighter note.... Expensive, but sooooooo cute!
Heavenly Handfuls Li'l Monkey Hugs Collectible Baby Monkey Doll Collection
http://www.collectiblestoday.com/ct/product/prdid-913327.jsp

I saw these adorable monkeys and thought of everyone here.  They are too cute.

Maine, born and raised!
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #284 on: August 25, 2008, 05:15:24 PM »

Shell ~ You must be very excited indeed, getting closer to getting your home rebuilt.  I remember when you first posted about the fire.  You said it's been almost a year.   I hope it won't be too much longer before you and your family are out of temporary housing and into your own home again, to start creating memories of home, together.  It reminds me of Dorothy:  "There's no place like home.  There's no place like home."  Please keep us posted. 

Muffy, It is even comforting to go to the site and just stand on the soil and look at the view. There truely is no place like home.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #285 on: August 27, 2008, 03:44:28 PM »

TONIGHT - DON'T MISS IT! 

www.scaredmonkeysradio.com or go the the front page of SM just before 9pm ET and click on the listen now link:

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #286 on: August 30, 2008, 01:22:03 AM »

O/T

Anyone in the gulf area that might be affected by Gustav can use me as a contact if you wish.  You can check in with me or let me know if you need something and I'll spread the word.  You can email me at either:

smklaas@hotmail.com

or

klaasend@scaredmonkeys.com

The SM email addy won't work if the forum is down, it's on the same server.

Please stay safe!
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #287 on: August 30, 2008, 07:21:02 AM »

Posted by Carolyn in Clinton’s Thread…

National Missing Persons Organization Let's Bring Them Home continues their efforts in the search for missing man, Clinton Nelson.   Nelson was last see on Friday, September 1, 2006 in the vicinity of Ward Lane and Highway 80 in Princeton, Louisiana.

This weekend represents the second anniversary of Nelson's disappearance. Nelson's family, along with law enforcement and missing persons organizations Let's Bring Them Home and the Kristen Foundation have assisted in efforts to recover Nelson.  However, to date, Nelson has not been recovered.

Nelson was last seen on Friday, September 1, 2006 at approximately 8:30pm leaving a friend's house in the vicinity of Ward Lane and Highway 80 in Princeton, Louisiana.  It is believed that Nelson is deceased.  Currently there are rewards totaling $15,000 for the recovery of Nelson's remains or the arrest and conviction for those involved in his disappearance.

"We, like Clinton's family," says Amy Smith, Executive Director of Let's Bring Them Home, "will never stop searching for Clinton.  We will never let people forget he's missing until he's found."

Never letting people forget that Nelson is missing is the key to solving this mystery.  One of the ways  Nelson's family and Let's Bring Them Home are accomplishing this goal is asking for the public to support the drafting of Clinton's Law.

"Clinton's law is a simple plea," explains Smith.  "When Clinton went missing it took law enforcement almost five days before they would take a report.  By the time cell phone tower records were subpoenaed, the tower records had been purged.  Any help those records could have provided were lost with Clinton."

The call to action is an effort between Nelson's family, Let's Bring Them Home and concerned citizens across the United States to change law enforcement procedures in missing person's cases by requiring law enforcement to pull cell phone records once the missing person's report has been filed.

"We know that it could have made a difference in Clinton's case," says Carolyn Johnson, Nelson's mother.  "Our lives might be different today had those records been pulled in a timely manner.

"To support the drafting of Clinton's Law, as well as to remember his disappearance, the family of Nelson is asking home owners in the Princeton, Louisiana area to leave their porch lights on September 1st to symbolize "lighting the way home for Clinton."
  In addition, Let's Bring Them Home is asking business owners to request posters to distribute of Nelson in their stores, as well as place the words "Where is Clinton Nelson" on store marquees.

To get involved in the effort to remember Clinton, or to request a poster to distribute, please contact Let's Bring Them Home at 479-966-0471 or visit  www.letsbringthemhome.org.

Clinton’s Thread

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=1318.860

Please light a Candle for Clinton

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=CLINT

Truth Baby
Scared Monkey

« Reply #288 on: August 30, 2008, 09:04:35 PM »

hello -testing 
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #289 on: August 30, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »

hello -testing 

Hi Truth Baby, and welcome to Scared Monkeys.    

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #290 on: August 31, 2008, 08:58:18 AM »

Unexpected Large Monkey Population Discovered In Cambodia: Tens Of Thousands Of Threatened Primates
ScienceDaily (Aug. 29, 2008) — A Wildlife Conservation Society report reveals surprisingly large populations of two globally threatened primates in a protected area in Cambodia.

The report counted 42,000 black-shanked douc langurs along with 2,500 yellow-cheeked crested gibbons in Cambodia's Seima Biodiversity Conservation Area, an estimate that represents the largest known populations for both species in the world.

Much more at the site>
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080828120326.htm

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
numbersgirl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #291 on: September 01, 2008, 08:35:45 AM »

Test post
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #292 on: September 01, 2008, 04:16:22 PM »

LEGGO MY EGG_TART     

Monkey mugs woman for egg tarts at Hong Kong bus stop
Hong Kong - A 25-year-old woman was taken to hospital after being mugged by a monkey for a box of egg tarts at a bus stop in Hong Kong, police said Monday. The primate struck seconds after the woman got off a bus for a Sunday picnic in rural Sai Kung Country Park in Hong Kong's New Territories near the Chinese border.

The monkey scratched her arm as it grabbed the box of egg tarts, police said. The shocked victim was taken to hospital for treatment for minor injuries, a spokesman said.

Hong Kong's rural New Territories are home to thousands of grey macaque monkeys, whose population has exploded in recent years because of the population shift to urban areas.

The monkeys usually keep clear of humans, but occasionally, hungry lone males will prey on hikers from the city unused to seeing monkeys and arriving in country parks with bags of food.
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/229002,monkey-mugs-woman-for-egg-tarts-at-hong-kong-bus.html

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #293 on: September 02, 2008, 01:41:45 AM »

Not really test, but just curious why the avatar is not moving this time around.   probably something to do with size.  I am calling it a night.   have a good week all.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #294 on: September 02, 2008, 10:22:07 AM »

Not really test, but just curious why the avatar is not moving this time around.   probably something to do with size.  I am calling it a night.   have a good week all.

Hello GreatOwl.  It's good to "see" you.  I'm not a techie, so am not able to say why your avi isn't moving.   scratch  Perhaps CrazyBabyBorg  can help you with that. I hope you are able to resolve the avi issue.  It's extra nice when it moves around.   

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #295 on: September 03, 2008, 04:55:21 PM »

I swear it wasn't me...nope...I didn't do it!! 

8-foot mechanical ape stolen from Maine store

EAST MACHIAS, Maine (AP) -- A giant gorilla that's been a longtime fixture outside a flea market store in East Machias has gone missing and its owner is asking that the mechanical ape be returned, no questions asked.

Lowell Miller didn't realize that his gorilla had been stolen from Sandy's Sales on U.S. 1 until closing time Sunday. Miller thought his clerk had wheeled the ape inside, and the clerk thought Miller had.

Miller said he was amazed that anyone would steal such a heavy object. Valued at about $1,500, it has a cement platform and is equipped with motors that turn the gorilla sideways and make its arms go up and down.

State police have put out an all-points-bulletin on the primate, which they suspect may be holed up in some college students' apartment.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ME_ODD_MISSING_GORILLA_MEOL-?SITE=RIPRJ&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #296 on: September 04, 2008, 12:59:31 AM »

Hello GreatOwl.  It's good to "see" you.  I'm not a techie, so am not able to say why your avi isn't moving.   scratch  Perhaps CrazyBabyBorg  can help you with that. I hope you are able to resolve the avi issue.  It's extra nice when it moves around.   

Hi Muffy, I didn't catch this until now.  Good to see you also.  I was able to resize the av myself.  I just needed to find the time.   thanks.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #297 on: September 04, 2008, 02:06:49 PM »

Hi Muffy, I didn't catch this until now.  Good to see you also.  I was able to resize the av myself.  I just needed to find the time.   thanks.

GreatOwl ~  I'm glad to see you've resolved the issue with your avi.  Lookin' good now  thumleft

casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #298 on: September 04, 2008, 10:41:57 PM »

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but didn't know where it fits.  I only pop in and read.  Don't have time to post much with school going on!  I've really missed seeing Mrs. Red but maybe I have just managed to miss her posts.  I was just asking cause I hope all is well with her. I figured that someone would know if something was wrong.  Thanks!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #299 on: September 05, 2008, 12:14:49 AM »

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but didn't know where it fits.  I only pop in and read.  Don't have time to post much with school going on!  I've really missed seeing Mrs. Red but maybe I have just managed to miss her posts.  I was just asking cause I hope all is well with her. I figured that someone would know if something was wrong.  Thanks!

Hi Casa - I asked Red about her the other day and he said she was really really busy with work, but she's fine.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.