April 30, 2024, 10:17:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #11 6/12 - 10/04/2008  (Read 183078 times)
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2008, 06:03:41 PM »

Wreck, son installed Open office on mine. You are right it does all the same as Microsoft office.

Crazybabyborg,
I saw this today and thought of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWPL8dq6XM&feature=related

Just a swinging with the tribe
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2008, 08:45:03 PM »

PS -- (Microsft works is okay but if you have a "trial version" of "Office" or a "Anti-Virus" pre-installed) get rid of them. When you get it -- let us know and we all can advise you! I use some "free" programs that will use less resources and serve you and your computer better. "Open Office" will do everything that Microsoft Office does for free (save yourself $200.)

I got a new laptop after the fire, and I have been on my own, winging it. It came with lots of free stuff, and I am clueless as to what to keep and what to get rid of. I am sure it would work faster and better if I didn't have all this crap on it. For starters, how do I get rid of the free office version and anti virus that came with this? I know how to delete a program, but something tells me there is stuff left behind. Any advice would be appreciated.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2008, 11:35:55 AM »

PS -- (Microsft works is okay but if you have a "trial version" of "Office" or a "Anti-Virus" pre-installed) get rid of them. When you get it -- let us know and we all can advise you! I use some "free" programs that will use less resources and serve you and your computer better. "Open Office" will do everything that Microsoft Office does for free (save yourself $200.)

I got a new laptop after the fire, and I have been on my own, winging it. It came with lots of free stuff, and I am clueless as to what to keep and what to get rid of. I am sure it would work faster and better if I didn't have all this crap on it. For starters, how do I get rid of the free office version and anti virus that came with this? I know how to delete a program, but something tells me there is stuff left behind. Any advice would be appreciated.
I used this program:

"Removes unwanted preinstalled software from Windows XP and Vista machines. Free for personal use, commercial version includes automation capability.
pcdecrapifier.com/"

http://pcdecrapifier.com/

Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2008, 06:58:23 PM »

I used this program:

"Removes unwanted preinstalled software from Windows XP and Vista machines. Free for personal use, commercial version includes automation capability.
pcdecrapifier.com/"

Wreck, loved that name decrapifier.  I uninstalled Mc Afee. last night on a Gateway, Vista, Laptop. I went to Start-Control panel-when  control panel came up there was a place that said Programs and uninstall programs. I clicked on Programs.This brought up a menu that said Program and features and under that it said uninstall programs. When I clicked on that (the uninstall programs) it brought up a list of installed programs. In my case I just went to Mc Afee and clicked once and found the uninstall button. From there it talked you through it.

Just a swinging with the tribe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2008, 07:29:37 PM »

Serious monkey business
Girls make and sell toys to help orphans in Uganda

Posted 7/16/08
Two local children are using their talents to raise money for a small orphanage in East Africa.

Bo Hundley and Patty Driscoll, best friends, Lutherville residents, and rising eighth-graders at Ridgely Middle School, make sock monkeys by hand, sell them and donate the proceeds to Kinship House, an orphanage in the Ugandan village of Gganda.

Both girls describe themselves as being very religious. Hundley said she was inspired to do the charity work through the Catholic church she attends, Church of the Nativity in Timonium.

"One day at church they were talking about using your gifts to help the world," she said.

Hundley thought it would be a good idea to do something unique.

"There's plenty of organizations donating things like food and water," she said.

Instead, they settled on making sock monkeys.

The monkeys are "cute and happy and they make us happy," Driscoll said.

The pair make various-size sock monkeys at Driscoll's home and sell them for $8 to $12. The profit depends on the cost of materials -- the expense of the socks being primary among them -- but after selling more than 50 of the puppets, the pair has raised $800 for Kinship House.

They plan to send the money to the orphanage along with one sock monkey for each of the 27 children there.

After raising money for Kinship House, Hundley said she and Driscoll plan to research charity opportunities in other parts of the world.

To purchase a sock monkey, visit www.pb.bigcartel.com.
http://explorebaltimorecounty.com/community/1565/serious-monkey-business-girls-sell-toys-help-orphanage/

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #165 on: July 21, 2008, 07:47:13 PM »

I used this program:

pcdecrapifier.com/"

Wreck, loved that name decrapifier.  I uninstalled Mc Afee. last night on a Gateway, Vista, Laptop. I went to Start-Control panel-when  control panel came up there was a place that said Programs and uninstall programs. I clicked on Programs.This brought up a menu that said Program and features and under that it said uninstall programs. When I clicked on that (the uninstall programs) it brought up a list of installed programs. In my case I just went to Mc Afee and clicked once and found the uninstall button. From there it talked you through it.
A very good FREE Anti-Virus program is AVG 8.0 (free edition). It will automatically download the updates every day. Set it and forget it!!
Find it here:
http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2008, 09:07:38 PM »

Wreck, AVG free addition kept telling me it would not continue to give me updates on my free version. So, I bought it. Problem is, the firewall is causing me headaches, so I turned the firewall off. The free version was a breeze to use and maintain. This version, not so good. I didn't know 8.0 had a free version. sigh

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2008, 09:10:43 PM »

also, I can't seem to get to the decrap site. (probably my avg stopping it, the one I paid for 

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2008, 09:13:22 PM »

Wreck, AVG free addition kept telling me it would not continue to give me updates on my free version. So, I bought it. Problem is, the firewall is causing me headaches, so I turned the firewall off. The free version was a breeze to use and maintain. This version, not so good. I didn't know 8.0 had a free version. sigh
They quit updating version 7 when they brought out 8.0. They unfortunately don't really make it easy to switch to "Free" version 8. (they want your money  ). Version 8. is actually better because you can choose precisely what time of day to run the scan. You really need to keep the firewall enabled -- what problems are you having with it?

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2008, 09:20:02 PM »

also, I can't seem to get to the decrap site. (probably my avg stopping it, the one I paid for 
The AntiVirus won't prevent you from going TO a site -- it will stop you or warn you if you are about to DOWNLOAD something bad or if an e-mail has a virus in it. The
"Decrapifier" should only be used for brand new computers -- use the method Sam used (via the control panel) to uninstall programs you don't want anymore. Also, don't try to run 2 different Anti-virus programs simultaneously.

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2008, 09:23:08 PM »

They quit updating version 7 when they brought out 8.0. They unfortunately don't really make it easy to switch to "Free" version 8. (they want your money  ). Version 8. is actually better because you can choose precisely what time of day to run the scan. You really need to keep the firewall enabled -- what problems are you having with it?

Problem with deciding what profile to use. When I chose home/small office option, it caused problems when I wanted to play cards in my card room, and problems with msn messenger. When I chose allow all profile, I still had problems. Hubby says we have a firewall in our router? so I really don't need any other firewall. I turned avg firewall off, and it keeps turning back on. All I really do on my computer is email, read and surf, play cards and games, and messenger. So when I can't do those simple things, it makes me mad. I loved avg free. Thinking maybe I should download the free version again using your link. 

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #171 on: July 22, 2008, 12:03:10 AM »

Well, it won't download so I am sending the free version link to another computer (hubbys) and he will make a cd of it and then install it here. He says I must have a setting wrong since it won't download. This monkey has a lot to learn. 

Thank you very much for the advice and the links.

crazybabyborg
« Reply #172 on: July 22, 2008, 01:24:57 AM »

Wreck, son installed Open office on mine. You are right it does all the same as Microsoft office.

Crazybabyborg,
I saw this today and thought of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWPL8dq6XM&feature=related

OH I LOVED IT, SAM! Made my day, and it was a good day to follow that advice, too! 
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #173 on: July 22, 2008, 09:14:41 AM »

Well, it won't download so I am sending the free version link to another computer (hubbys) and he will make a cd of it and then install it here. He says I must have a setting wrong since it won't download. This monkey has a lot to learn. 

You would probably need to uninstall the V.8 befroe you can download the "free" edition. It sounds as though you may hace something else going on (security settings in your browser) for your firewall to "acting up." Which browser do you use?

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #174 on: July 22, 2008, 09:16:32 AM »

I REALLY need to edit my posts before hit the send button.

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #175 on: July 22, 2008, 04:00:47 PM »

AZSunny's husband is scheduled for serious surgery this Thursday.  I posted on her behalf last night in the Lounge Prayer Thread, if you haven't been there.  Please add them to your prayer list and keep them in your thoughts.  I'm sure it will be a great comfort for both of them.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #176 on: July 22, 2008, 08:01:36 PM »

Just when you thought it was done, LOLOL.  CONSTRUCTION UPDATE:

Now we are scraping the ceiling from the back rooms, the ones we had to stay in for the last 3 months while we were going through all of the foundation construction work.

This was the small bedroom we were staying in, it's ready to be painted probably tomorrow or Thursday (kindof a bad shot but I wanted to get the ceiling and walls without facing the window):

This was the room we had our TV and my computer in.  It's really a small room only about 10x10 and has a door that opens into the garage.  It will be ready to paint tomorrow too but the ceiling isn't quite ready yet:

This is a photo of the bathroom.  It was carpeted but we took the carpet out.  We didn't know what we were going to replace the carpet with, maybe vinyl tiles.  BUT....under the carpet, totally by surprise, there was ceramic tile.  This stile had to have been originally installed in the 70's.  It's in great shape so we're going to keep it!

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #177 on: July 23, 2008, 12:30:40 PM »

RIP Estelle.....Sophia was always my favorite Golden Girl.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #178 on: July 23, 2008, 04:39:26 PM »

DANA PRETZER TONIGHT

www.scaredmonkeysradio.com

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #179 on: July 23, 2008, 07:58:17 PM »

You would probably need to uninstall the V.8 befroe you can download the "free" edition. It sounds as though you may hace something else going on (security settings in your browser) for your firewall to "acting up." Which browser do you use?

I uninstalled .8 and downloaded the free edition. Whew, I like this much better. I use ie browser. Looked at security, and I have "protected mode" checked. Should it be unchecked?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.