April 26, 2024, 01:10:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama campaign creates Web site to debunk rumors  (Read 36640 times)
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2008, 08:42:31 PM »

You Europeans, you always have your begging hand out asking for money and wanting our military when the need arises.  You are too cowardice to fight your own battles and tax your citizens to death, while supporting the drug industry with prostitution.  Now, get off denigrating the country that has propped yours up through thick and thin when you and yours lacked the courage to stand on your own.  The only thing this country has ever asked yours for is real estate to bury our dead military who died to save you from Hitler.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »

there is still a lot of debunking to do.
good that they put this site up.

the fact that such a site is needed shows that the GOP still thinks smearing instead of honest debates is more effective.
sad really, mccain himself was victim of the bush/rove-smear about the 'illegitimate black baby'. mccain should know better.
but apparently he knows he will lose in honest debating due to his closeness to bush.

PHOTO OF BRACK OBAMA AND JEREMIAH WRIGHT
http://ndn.newsweek.com/media/58/080314_ObamaWright_vl-vertical.jpg

++++++++++++++

BARACK OBAMA: "MY PASTOR, COUNSELLOR, FRIEND AND GREAT LEADER"
June 5, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpzHQ_PC1uI&feature=related

+++++++++

Obama Explains Why He Quit Church
June 01, 2008 4:54 AM

ABC News' Sunlen Miller Reports: Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., held a long press availability in Aberdeen, South Dakota Saturday night to discuss his resignation from Trinity United church.

"Michelle and I told Rev Otis Moss that we were withdrawing as members of Trinity. It's a decision that Michelle and I had discussed for quite some time after the National Press Club episode. I had discussed it with Rev. Moss. We had prayed on it. We had consulted with a number of friends and family members who are also connected to the church. And so this is not decision I come to lightly, and frankly it is one that I make with some sadness," Obama said in prepared remarks.

Obama praised the current pastor of Trinity, Rev. Moss and said that he continues to admire the work that Rev. Jeremiah Wright did in building up the church.

He insisted that Trinity itself is not a church worth denouncing. "I'm not denouncing the church and I'm not interested in people who want me to denounce the church, because it's not a church worthy of denouncing

More:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/06/

+++++++++++++

"... NOT A CHURCH WORTHY OF DENOUNCING"

Best of Jeremiah Wright's Sermons Pt. 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617eK2XIaLk

Best of Jeremiah Wright's Sermons Pt. 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaNBzU6iryo

+++++++++

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2008, 08:57:20 PM »

Kermit, first I read Obama's book, the original version, the uncut, undoctored version of "Audacity of Hope..."  and I do opposition research. 

I contacted Obama's people and hope to get a response from them regarding what you said you read.

I think it's important to know the facts and I would like and hope they do respond. If they do, I'll post it.

Have you read Barkley's book, "Who's Afraid of a Large Black Man yet?
It has some interesting truths in Obama's own words. A fascinating book in general and quick read.

Kermit,  I see you as a pretty intelligent frog, but do you seriously believe a presidential candidate is going to give you anything but what is viewed as positive in light of 'there' candidate?  I don't think ANY political 'people' would give anything other than what they want us to know,  I don't care WHO it is!   Obama wrote that book, it's HIS words, no if's, ands or but's about it.   Of course his 'people' are going to come back and spin it to there advantage!

Tyler!  Please stay here and continue to shower us with your political wisdom!   We MISS YOU!   [HUGS]

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2008, 09:40:32 PM »

BARACK OBAMA UPHOLDS REVEREND MOSS

ELECTION 2008
Posted: May 29, 2008
11:56 am Eastern

By Aaron Klein

JERUSALEM – Recognizing her inevitable loss, Sen. Hillary Clinton cried in public because she thought being white entitled her to the Democratic presidential nomination, declared a close associate and spiritual adviser of Sen. Barack Obama at the Illinois senator's Chicago church.

Chicago Catholic pastor Michael Pfleger, speaking Sunday at Obama's Trinity United Church of Christ, implied Clinton was a white supremacist who believed she would win the nomination because of "white entitlement."

Pfleger, who practices black liberation theology, is a regular guest speaker at Trinity church. He was introduced at Sunday's sermon by Obama's new pastor, Rev. Otis Moss III, who called Pfleger a "brother beloved, he is a preacher par-excellence, he is a prophetic powerful pulpiteer."

After Pfleger's remarks about Clinton, Moss thanked Pfleger repeatedly.

Pfleger told the Trinity congregation, "We must be honest enough to expose white entitlement and supremacy wherever it raises its head."

He continued: "Reverend Moss, when Hillary was crying, and people said that was put on, I really don't believe it was put on. I really believe that she just always thought, 'This is mine. I'm Bill's wife. I'm white. And this is mine. I just got to get up and step into the plate.'

"And then out of nowhere came, hey, I'm Barack Obama. And she said, 'Oh damn, where did you come from? I'm white. I'm entitled. There's a black man stealing my show.'"

Pfleger then mimicked Clinton crying as the audience erupted into applause and gave Pfleger's remarks a standing ovation. Clinton has become emotional during several interviews this year, and some media commentators have questioned her sincerity.

In his sermon, Pfleger added, "She wasn't the only one crying. There was a whole lot of white people cryin'."

Apparently realizing his remarks might attract media attention, Pfleger stated, "I'm sorry. I don't want to get you into any more trouble."

Moss then took the stage, stating, "We thank God for the message, and we thank God for the messenger. We thank God for Father Michael Pfleger. We thank God for Father Mike."

Moss assumed the leadership of Trinity earlier this month following the retirement of Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., whose controversial sermons have raised questions about Obama's judgment and beliefs.

Obama has said in media interviews he will retain his membership in Trinity under Moss, whom he lauded as a "wonderful young pastor."

Pfleger is a regular guest lecturer at Trinity and has been featured a number of times in Wright's Trumpet magazine, which drew some media attention after it honored controversial Nation of Islam head Louis Farrakhan.

http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=65625

+++++++++++

Obama Explains Why He Quit Church
June 01, 2008 4:54 AM

ABC News' Sunlen Miller Reports: Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., held a long press availability in Aberdeen, South Dakota Saturday night to discuss his resignation from Trinity United church.

"Michelle and I told Rev Otis Moss that we were withdrawing as members of Trinity. It's a decision that Michelle and I had discussed for quite some time after the National Press Club episode. I had discussed it with Rev. Moss. We had prayed on it. We had consulted with a number of friends and family members who are also connected to the church. And so this is not decision I come to lightly, and frankly it is one that I make with some sadness," Obama said in prepared remarks.

Obama praised the current pastor of Trinity, Rev. Moss and said that he continues to admire the work that Rev. Jeremiah Wright did in building up the church.

He insisted that Trinity itself is not a church worth denouncing. "I'm not denouncing the church and I'm not interested in people who want me to denounce the church, because it's not a church worthy of denouncing

More:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/06/

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2008, 09:56:37 PM »

Kermit, I hope you get a response but unless you are able to donate large, a la George Soros, you will get some canned answer and referred to his book, which just like Janet states, has been changed from the version about trying to expunge the white from his body because he hated whites so much and going with the Muslims if things got ugly.  I expect all those books have been bought up but I would quote you the page if I had not lent it to my DIL who has a blood clot this week and a passion for reading.

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2008, 12:27:14 AM »

Here's one that they need to knock down like this man states in the article.

Eagleville Democrat's 'terrorist ties' comment about Obama causing stir
By JENNIFER BROOKS • Gannett Tennessee • June 13, 2008

Barack Obama’s campaign is having a rough go of it thus far in Tennessee.

He lost the state primary. Ten of the state’s 17 superdelegates still haven’t endorsed him. And to cap it all, a member of the state Democratic executive committee has speculated publicly that Obama may be “terrorist connected.”

“They reported that on Fox News, that he has associates who are connected to terrorism,” said Fred Hobbs, a state Democratic party official from Eagleville. “It does throw up a red flag for me … I certainly don’t think he’s a terrorist. I’ve just heard he has associates who might have those ties.”

Asked if he really believes his party’s presumptive nominee would associate with terrorists, or associates of terrorists, Hobbs said: “I really don’t know. A lot of people don’t know a whole lot about him. Maybe if he would address some of these questions … He refuses to go on these programs and talk about it.”

Hobbs’ speculation, first reported by the Nashville City Paper on Friday, went off like a bombshell on the state political scene.

Gleeful Republicans blast e-mailed his remarks everywhere. Mortified state Democrats frantically tried to pin the blame back on the GOP.

“The Tennessee Democratic Party is united behind our party’s nominee, Senator Barack Obama. Mr. Hobbs is obviously misinformed, and his statement highlights the perpetual efforts of the Republican Party, especially here in Tennessee, to turn internet smears and highly offensive gossip into their party’s message against Senator Barack Obama as we head into the General Election,” Tennessee Democratic spokesman Wade Munday said in a statement.

Hobbs, a Realtor, is a former state House member, Eagleville mayor, and Rutherford County school board member who represents western Rutherford and all of Lincoln, Marshall and Maury counties on the state Democratic Executive Committee. Munday said there has been no discussion yet about whether Hobbs would face a reprimand or any other consequences for his remarks.

Some Democrats are calling for Hobbs’ head.

“I’m outrageously angry,” said Sharon Fitzgerald, a freelance journalist from Murfreesboro, who nearly choked on her coffee when she spotted Hobbs’ remarks in the paper. She spent the rest of the morning on the phone and on her computer, trying to contact the 30-plus members of the state Democratic executive committee, calling for Hobbs to be stripped of his leadership position.

“I will be sorely disappointed in the party if they don’t officially take steps to distance themselves from him,” she said. “There can be no forgiveness for what he said.”

Also caught up in the backlash is uncommitted superdelegate and U.S. Rep. Lincoln Davis, a conservative Democrat who represents mainly rural and suburban Tennessee counties that swung for Clinton, not Obama, in the primary. His silence only fueled speculation that Davis and other conservative Democrats were trying to distance themselves from a candidate who may be wildly unpopular in their Republican-leaning districts.

Davis’s chief of staff, Beecher Frasier, did nothing to quell that speculation when, in response to Hobbs’ remarks, he said he could only assume that Obama was not a terrorist. On Friday, Frasier issued a clarifying statement.

“No one in their right mind, including me, believes Senator Obama has ties to terrorism,” he said by e-mail. “It is truly ridiculous for anyone to try to make hay out of these comments.”

Of Tennessee’s 17 superdelegates, seven have endorsed Obama, while six endorsed Clinton and have not yet switched allegiance officially. Four remain uncommitted: Davis, his fellow Democratic Rep. Bart Gordon, former U.S. Vice President Al Gore and AFL-CIO President Jerry Lee.

Gordon spokeswoman Julie Eubank said the congressman supports his party’s nominee.

“Congressman Gordon believes these accusations are ridiculous,” she said in a statement. “Both parties should refrain from absurd personal attacks that detract from a substantive debate about the future of our country.”

Hobbs, however, said there are plenty of other Tennessee Democrats who share his doubts and don’t quite know what to make of their party’s nominee.

“A whole lot of other people have concerns about him,” Hobbs said. “It’d be nice to hear from him before the election about some of these things that were said on TV.”

As for whether Obama, who has not set foot in Tennessee in almost a year, has a prayer of winning over the state’s skeptical conservative Democrats, Hobbs said there’s always hope.

“You never know,” he said. “Clinton carried Tennessee twice. Tennessee is a little hard to predict.”

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2008, 12:29:44 AM »

He seems to be just going through a rough patch.

Welcome to the real campaign, Sen. Obama

DAN K. THOMASSON

WASHINGTON -- Pitching himself to voters as a centrist candidate with a slight adjustment to the left who appeals to both sides of the political aisle and is a prototypical outsider is going to be a tough sell for Barack Obama who has supported his party's line for the two years he has been in the Senate and is advised by leading insiders.

His economic mantra of readjusting the nation's incomes to soak the rich and help the middle and lower classes through government spending is pure liberal dogma. It is the solution to our economic ills that the Democratic Party has espoused since Franklin Roosevelt. There is nothing wrong with that if one believes it will work except that it has been roundly rejected in the last 50 years or so of presidential elections.

Obama would make sure everyone had health care at taxpayer expense. He would raise the capital gains tax and up the corporate and individual income taxes for the "wealthy" and slow down if not end trade agreements in an effort to protect American labor despite the fact these alliances work. He is calling for a $50 billion economic stimulus plan that would include rebate checks for the unemployed and health care subsidies paid for by the above mentioned tax increases. So much for "Mr. Down the Middle."

But that doesn't seem to be all that may not be quite as the presumptive Democratic nominee likes to portray. On the same news pages that reported on Obama's economic proposals were stories about his connections to Capitol insiders like controversial former Fannie Mae chief executive James Johnson, belying somewhat the image of the consummate outsider he used effectively in his campaign for "change" against Hillary Clinton. He now hopes to hang the same tag on Republican John McCain, a 26-year veteran of Washington maneuvering.

Johnson, a long time political mover and shaker, was helping Obama choose a suitable running mate. Just coincidentally he has served on several corporate boards that have settled lavish pay on their chief executive officers, a practice Obama has tried to stop with legislation. Johnson resigned his Obama duties after his role was exposed.

Well, welcome to the real campaign, Sen. Obama.

Running against Washington is an approach that by the narrowest of margins won the presidency for Jimmy Carter, the first chief executive elected from the South since the Civil War. But Carter found he could not sustain that image during a one-term tenure that was marred by ineffectiveness. McCain's backers answer repeated Obama charges that McCain is running for President Bush's third term by contending that Obama is running for Carter's second.

Obviously Republicans are going to challenge the outsider image and begin a vetting process that will attempt to turn any negative nugget into a boulder as they have done with Johnson. But they also must worry about a backlash that paints them and the party as unreconstructed in matters of race. As for Obama, he will have difficulty running a racially neutral campaign on the one hand while appealing to his black constituency on the other.

The contrast between the two candidates could not be sharper. In age and appearance alone there never has been a larger difference. They are also strikingly dissimilar in the way they can be expected to approach the campaign and then the job each wants. Obama contends he would have voted against the Iraq war resolution had he been in the Senate while McCain, who voted for it, defends the war policy. McCain's economic positions are for lower capital gains, tax cut stimulation and a variety of other proposals that are diametrically the opposite of Obama's.

But the task of maintaining his primary image as an independent facilitator of a kinder, gentler, more civil and inclusive approach to governance is going to be difficult for Obama to sustain. Certainly he would like to have the benefit of the doubt about that and on other issues the national press has given him. That dispensation isn't likely to be granted now by a press that finally has become embarrassed by its deference to him, as the Johnson stories attest.

Probably the most prominent question in the next few months is whether Obama is as anti-establishmentarian as he has portrays himself. It remains to be seen whether his contention that he is reaching out to everyone from the center of the road is for real or just another attempt by a savvy politician to package old ideas in new wrapping.
E-mail Dan K. Thomasson, former editor of the Scripps Howard News Service, at thomassondan@aol.com.

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2008, 12:34:53 AM »

Obama VP Committee Member Helped Enable 2000 Elian Gonzalez Seizure
Photo of Tom Blumer.
By Tom Blumer | June 13, 2008 - 13:14 ET

Now that Jim Johnson has quit Barack Obama's vice-presidential candidate selection team, maybe somebody, anybody, in the media, instead of making "He's havng a bad day" excuses, might focus on the questionable judgment of Barack Obama in having Eric Holder serve on that team.

Besides his already-known role in facilitating the Clinton pardons, including that of fugitive billionaire financier March Rich, there's the matter of former Clinton Administration Deputy Attorney General Holder's involvement in the Elian Gonzalez case in 2000.

As the April 23, 2000 edition of the Media Research Center's CyberAlert noted at the time, Andrew Napolitano of Fox News charged that the early-Saturday seizure of the then 6 year-old Gonzalez flagrantly disobeyed a ruling of the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.

In response to a question from Fox News anchor Jeff Asman, Napolitano said the following (bolds are mine throughout this post):

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2008, 12:39:34 AM »

Now when Mort quits stuttering and asking a question of a Democrat, he is really as fired up as a tricycle.

June 13, 2008
Why Won't Obama Agree to Townhalls?
By Mort Kondracke

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) got an answer from Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) Tuesday on his proposal for 10 town hall-style debates: Not going to happen. That's too bad - and, the fewer there are, the more Obama should suffer for it politically.

The town halls not only would give ordinary citizens a chance to ask the candidates some pointed questions (see suggestions below), but - because they would be nationally televised - they would let voters nationwide see how the candidates handle challenges from across the political spectrum.

When Obama was debating Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY) and - in the distant past - when McCain debated his GOP rivals, the Democrats rarely got tough questions premised from the right, or the Republicans, from the left.

McCain has challenged Obama to 10 joint appearances to take place before the national conventions. Obviously, McCain thinks they're to his advantage because Obama is such a better orator and McCain performs well in informal settings.

Moreover, McCain - with less money to spend than Obama - wants the free national exposure that the town halls would provide. Obama is ahead in the polls and probably doesn't want to risk his advantage on possibly risky joint appearances.

So, on Tuesday, Obama told reporters, "You know what we've said is we are happy to do more than the three typical presidential debates in the fall ... We hope to have negotiations soon."

He added, "It's not realistic for us to do 10 ... It will probably be somewhat fewer than 10 but more than the three that have been already agreed to, and we'll probably propose a mix of formats."

That's a far cry from the ideal - 10 or more free-wheeling, longish (say, 90 minutes) exchanges centered on a specific topic area but with time left for random (say, political) inquiries. The questioners could be a mix of ordinary citizens and policy experts, maybe with a media person occasionally thrown in.

The ideal would be an exchange very soon on Topic A - gasoline prices, energy policy and environmental policy. Sample question: Senators, you both complain about high gasoline prices but also favor a cap-and-trade system to control global warming. That surely will raise energy prices - in fact, it's meant to. How does that square?

Also, you both oppose drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and off-shore, yet you talk about making the U.S. less dependent on foreign sources. How can you do that - and don't talk about 'alternatives' like wind and solar, which can't replace oil for decades?

If gas prices are Topic A, then the economy and jobs are Topic A1/2 and deserve the second exchange - also soon. McCain needs to be asked: You favor extending all the Bush tax cuts - but they haven't raised incomes for the average American. Why do you think they would in the next four years?

And, Sen. Obama, all your promises - middle-class tax cuts, infrastructure, education, health care and energy investment - will cost how much? Three trillion dollars over 10 years, as Sen. McCain charges? How are you going to pay for that with just tax increases on the wealthy, estimated to raise $1.5 trillion?

Both candidates also need to be asked: Just what are you going to do to prevent meltdowns in the housing and financial markets - and why are your solutions better than his?

There ought to be two or more debates on foreign policy - one on Iraq, one or more on the rest of the world. Question for Obama: Suppose the U.S. had followed your policy and hadn't done the surge in Iraq - wouldn't al-Qaida now be in charge of Sunni areas, radical militias of Shiite areas and wouldn't the U.S. have suffered a strategic defeat it might now avoid? That is, wasn't Sen. McCain right?

To both candidates: If diplomacy can't stop Iran's nuclear program, are you going to bomb?

There ought to be separate town halls on entitlements, education, health care and trade. So, some more questions: Sen. Obama, even AARP advocates some shaving back of retirement benefits to prevent Social Security and Medicare from going broke. Why don't you?

Sen. McCain, independent analysts say that your health care proposal - detaching insurance from the workplace - will make insurance unaffordable for older and sicker workers, and those whose kids may have pre-existing conditions. What about that?

Both of you: A third of ninth graders won't finish high school - 50 percent for minority kids. Where is the dropout crisis on your priority list? Come to think of it, both of you have put a lot of proposals out there - what will you tackle first, second and third?

So many questions, so little time. If Obama really means to change the political landscape, he ought to agree to lots of open exchanges with McCain. And if he won't, the media should ask, why not?

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2008, 12:41:12 AM »

I guess Obama lost this superdelegate's vote. 

Judge sets Dec. 2 trial date for Jefferson
by Bruce Alpert, The Times-Picayune
Friday June 13, 2008, 12:57 PM
AP Photos/Susan WalshCongressman William Jefferson and his lawyers will argue today that his trial should be moved from Virgina to Washington, D.C.
ALEXANDRIA, VA. -- U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III today set a Dec. 2 trial date in the federal corruption case of Rep. William Jefferson, D-New Orleans, although the judge admitted that it could be delayed again.

Ellis made his comments during a hearing in which he again refused a request by Jefferson's attorneys to grant a change of venue for the trial from Virginia to Washington, D.C. The defense attorneys say prosecutors chose Virginia because it has a smaller proportion of African-American jurors to consider the black congressman's case.

Attorney Robert Trout accused the Justice Department of "purposeful discrimination" in bringing the case in Virginia.

Ellis said he found no evidence that the government had manipulated events to hold the trial in Virginia, but Jefferson's lawyers said it's impossible to know that without questioning government prosecutors and reviewing their e-mails and other material. Justice Department attorneys said that would amount to a fishing expedition.

Jefferson, who faces charges of bribery, racketeering and conspiracy in connection with business deals he was assisting in Africa, also asked the judge to order the Justice Department to use international legal treaties to compel three witnesses, including Atiku Abubakar, the former vice president of Nigeria, his wife and businessman Sulieman Yahyah to answer questions in legal depositions.

Ellis asked for more briefs before ruling on that motion.

The defense attorneys want Ellis to allow them to take depositions from Jennifer Abubakar, the former vice president's wife and a citizen of the United States, in Europe, where she has agreed to answer questions.

The testimony of the three is important to the defense, Jefferson's lawyers said, because all three have denied they participated or were aware of an alleged scheme in which the congressman was to pass bribes to promote a telecommunications project proposed by a Kentucky firm Jefferson was assisting.

Ellis seemed to agree with the government argument that depositions taken from abroad are a problem because the testimony would not be subject to U.S. perjury laws. The judge suggested that Trout subpoena Mrs. Abubakar to testify at the trial.

Government attorneys also said that arranging such depositions could further delay a trial that originally was slated to begin in January but had been indefinitely postponed while an appeal on another Ellis pretrial ruling is heard by a federal appeals court.

During the hearing Ellis asked government prosecutor Charles Duross if any of the three could face potential charges if they return to the United States. "That could happen," Duross said.

The appeals court is scheduled to take up some constitutional issues in the case the week of Sept. 23, but Ellis said he is hopeful of starting the trial in December.

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2008, 12:51:56 AM »

REMEMBER THOSE NASTY REMARKS FROM OBAMA TO HILLARY ABOUT HER BEING ON WAL-MART BOARD AND HOW HE DOES NOT LIKE WAL-MART FOR THE WAY THEY TREAT THEIR EMPLOYEES.

Beware the Chicago boys

Obama's vow of love for free markets gives reason to fear a replay of Bill Clinton's 1993 U-turn
All comments (20)

* Naomi Klein
          o Naomi Klein
          o The Guardian,
          o Saturday June 14 2008
          o Article history

Barack Obama waited just three days after Hillary Clinton pulled out of the race to declare, on CNBC: "Look. I am a pro-growth, free-market guy. I love the market." Demonstrating that this is no mere spring fling, he has appointed the 37-year-old Jason Furman, one of Wal-Mart's most prominent defenders, to head his economic team. On the campaign trail, Obama blasted Clinton for sitting on the Wal-Mart board and pledged: "I won't shop there." For Furman, however, Wal-Mart's critics are the real threat: the "efforts to get Wal-Mart to raise its wages and benefits" are creating "collateral damage" that is "way too enormous and damaging to working people and the economy ... for me to sit by idly and sing Kum Ba Ya in the interests of progressive harmony".

Obama's love of markets and his desire for "change" are not inherently incompatible. "The market has gotten out of balance," he says, and it most certainly has. Many trace this profound imbalance to the ideas of Milton Friedman, who launched a counter-revolution against the New Deal from his perch at the University of Chicago. And here there are more problems, because Obama - who taught law at Chicago for a decade - is embedded in the mindset known as the Chicago School.

Obama chose as his chief economic adviser Austan Goolsbee, a University of Chicago economist on the left side of a spectrum that stops at the centre-right. Goolsbee, unlike his Friedmanite colleagues, sees inequality as a problem. His primary solution, however, is more education - a line you can also get from Alan Greenspan. Goolsbee has been eager to link Obama to the Chicago School. "The guy's got a healthy respect for markets," he told Chicago magazine. "It's in the ethos of the [University of Chicago], which is something different from saying he is laissez faire."

Another of Obama's Chicago fans is the 39-year-old billionaire Kenneth Griffin, the CEO of the hedge fund Citadel. Griffin, who gave the maximum allowable donation to Obama, is a poster boy for an unbalanced economy. He got married at Versailles, and is one of the staunchest opponents of closing the hedge-fund tax loophole.

While Obama talks about toughening trade rules with China, Griffin has been bending the few barriers that do exist. Despite sanctions prohibiting the sale of police equipment, Citadel has been pouring money into controversial China-based security companies that are putting the local population under unprecedented levels of surveillance.

Now is the time to worry about Obama's Chicago Boys and their commitment to fending off regulation. It was in the two-and-a-half months between winning the 1992 election and being sworn into office in 1993 that Bill Clinton did a U-turn on the economy. He had promised to revise the North American Free Trade Agreement, adding labour and environmental provisions - but two weeks before his inauguration, the then Goldman Sachs chief, Robert Rubin, convinced him of the urgency of embracing liberalisation.

Furman, a Rubin disciple, was chosen to head the Brookings Institution's Hamilton Project, the thinktank Rubin helped found to argue for the free trade agenda. Add to that Goolsbee's February meeting with Canadian officials, who got the impression that they should not take Obama's anti-Nafta campaigning seriously, and there is every reason for concern about a replay of 1993.

The irony is that there is absolutely no reason for this backsliding. The movement launched by Friedman, introduced by Ronald Reagan and entrenched under Clinton faces a legitimacy crisis around the world - nowhere more evident than at the University of Chicago itself. In May, when the university president Robert Zimmer announced the creation of a $200m Milton Friedman Institute, more than 100 faculty members signed a letter of protest. "The effects of the neoliberal global order ... strongly buttressed by the Chicago School of Economics, have by no means been unequivocally positive," the letter states. "Many would argue that they have been negative for much of the world's population."

When Friedman died in 2006, the memorials spoke only of grand achievement, with one of the more prominent appreciations, in the New York Times, written by Goolsbee. Yet now, just two years later, Friedman's name is seen as a liability even at his own alma mater. So why has Obama chosen this moment, when all illusions of a consensus have dropped away, to go Chicago retro?

The news is not all bad. Furman claims he will be drawing on the expertise of two Keynesian economists: Jared Bernstein, of the Economic Policy Institute, and James Galbraith, son of Friedman's nemesis, John Kenneth Galbraith. Our "current economic crisis", Obama recently said, is "the logical conclusion of a tired and misguided philosophy that has dominated Washington for far too long".

True enough. But before Obama can purge Washington of the scourge of Friedmanism, he has some ideological house cleaning of his own to do.

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2008, 12:56:45 AM »

KKK for OBAMA

Mr. Farakahn already told us that he and David Duke have a special relationship and that David Duke had already called him to congratulate him on Obama's candidacy and that they have a common bond.

Why White Supremacists Support Barack Obama

How do racists, anti-Semites and all-purpose hate-mongers view the possibility of America’s first black president? Not necessarily the way you think they would.

By: David Peisner
How do racists, anti-Semites and all-purpose hate-mongers view the possibility of America’s first black president? Not necessarily the way you think they would.

If recent polls are to be believed, white voters favor John McCain over Barack Obama by nearly ten percentage points, but the McCain and Obama camps probably haven’t factored in the following fact: In an informal Esquire survey, three out of four white supremacists prefer Obama, while McCain is the clear favorite among black nationalists. (Sure, our methodology suffered from an extraordinarily low sample size -- limited to four white supremacists and one black nationalist -- but just because it wouldn’t fly with Gallup doesn’t mean there ain't a kernel of truth in there.) This is just one of many surprising views that emerged after we talked to extremists about this historic electoral showdown between a 46-year-old black man and a 71-year-old white man.
Tom Metzger

Who: Director, White Aryan Resistance

Dislikes: Race-mixing, Jews, the federal government, capitalism

Career Highlights: Was Grand Dragon of Ku Klux Klan in the 70s; won the Democratic primary during his bid for Congress in 1980; appeared on the episode of Geraldo Rivera’s show in 1988 when Rivera’s nose was broken in a brawl.

“The corporations are running things now, so it’s not going to make much difference who's in there, but McCain would be much worse. He’s a warmonger. He’s a scary, scary person -- more dangerous than Bush. Obama, according to his book, Dreams Of My Father, is a racist and I have no problem with black racists. I’ve got the quote right here: ‘I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother’s white race.’ The problem with Obama is he’s being dishonest about his racial views. I’d respect him if he’d just come out and say, ‘Yeah, I’m a black racist.’ I don’t hate black people. I just think it’s in the best interest of the races to be separated as much as possible. See, I’m a leftist. I’m not a rightist. I hate the transnational corporations far more than any black person.”
Ron Edwards

Who: Imperial Wizard, Imperial Klans of America

Dislikes: Black people, homosexuals, immigrants

Career Highlights: Sued in 2007 by the Southern Poverty Law Center for inciting the brutal beating of a Latino teenager; building the IKA into one of the nation’s largest Klan groups by allowing non-Christians to join.

“Obama, I think he’s a piece of shit. I don’t care that his mother was white. I don’t think he has enough brains to do anything good. All he’s living off of is the color of his skin to get elected. I don’t think America wants a black president. Most of them are too afraid to say that they believe the way I believe. They sit around their dinner table and talk the way I do, but when they get out in public, they have two faces and show the other face. When people are voting in the booth privately, they’ll vote Republican even if they’re a Democrat. If he wins, I’ll laugh. I don’t like McCain, but he’s the only one I can vote for. He’s against a lot of the things that I’m for. I’m afraid that he’s going to mess with gun laws. But I’m going Republican and I talked to my guys and most of them are voting for McCain too.”
Erich Gliebe

Who: Chairman, National Alliance

Dislikes: integration, Jewish-controlled media

Career Highlights: Turning white-power record label, Resistance Records, into a million-dollar-a-year business juggernaut; an 8-0 record as a professional boxer under the nickname, “The Aryan Barbarian.”

“Obama might be a better candidate for our cause because he’s racially conscious. One of our big things in the National Alliance is to raise the racial consciousness of our people. Young whites in universities, they’ve been stripped of any kind of racial identity. Obama may be a racist in a positive sense for his people -- that will awaken a lot of the whites, knock some sense into them. They’ll see that non-white Americans are allowed to be proud of who they are, to be racially conscious, to talk about their people or their community without being attacked as being racist. Let’s face it, white people aren’t going to fight for their causes, for their kind with a white president. I don’t think McCain even acknowledges that a white race exists. He’s all about granting amnesty to illegal aliens. The fact he wants to keep us in wars in the Middle East for 100 years, that’s not a good thing. I give Obama credit, he seems to have stuck to his guns as far as pulling the troops out of Iraq. He’s a very intelligent man, an excellent speaker and has charisma. John McCain offers none of that. Perhaps the best thing for the white race is to have a black president. My only problem with Obama is perhaps he’s not black enough.”
Rocky Suhayda

Who: Chairman, American Nazi Party

Dislikes: Jews, immigrants, multinational corporations Career highlights: Being widely quoted bemoaning in the fact that so few Aryan-Americans had the cojones of the 9/11 hijackers: “If we were one-tenth as serious, we might start getting somewhere.”

“White people are faced with either a negro or a total nutter who happens to have a pale face. Personally I’d prefer the negro. National Socialists are not mindless haters. Here, I see a white man, who is almost dead, who declares he wants to fight endless wars around the globe to make the world safe for Judeo-capitalist exploitation, who supports the invasion of America by illegals -- basically a continuation of the last eight years of Emperor Bush. Then, we have a black man, who loves his own kind, belongs to a Black-Nationalist religion, is married to a black women -- when usually negroes who have ‘made it’ immediately land a white spouse as a kind of prize -- that’s the kind of negro that I can respect. Any time that a prominent person embraces their racial heritage in a positive manner, it’s good for all racially minded folks. Besides, America cares nothing for the interests of the white American worker, while having a love affair with just about every non-white on planet Earth. It’d be poetic justice to have a non-white as titular chief over this decaying modern Sodom and Gomorrah.”
Yahanna

Who: General, Israelite School Of Universal Practical Knowledge

Dislikes: White oppressors, black women, American culture, Muslims, Christians, Martin Luther King Jr.

Career Highlights: Featured in 1999 BBC program about black supremacists; his street corner rants in Washington D.C. spurred changes in the local noise ordinance.

“Finding out Barack Obama is the Democratic nominee for president was one of the saddest days in black history. Another legacy of black death is about to begin, just like it began back in the '60s with probably the greatest traitor to black people in modern-day history, Martin Luther King. Every black leader that has some form of power has given black people false hope, when in fact, the closer they get to the white establishment, the more they become an actual enemy to black people. Black people need to move away from the establishment and towards a moral change. As for Obama, first of all, he’s not even a black man in the terms of what real black people consider a black man. He’s of African and white descent. How easily he dismissed his affiliation with Reverend Wright, was a clear indication that this is a politician, not a man of any real conviction. The same way he threw away that Reverend, once he becomes president, he must throw away black people. He’s going to have to harm black people to make white people satisfied that he’s not Reverend Wright’s boy. The disappointment we’re going to suffer from him is going to set us back another fifty years. McCain is definitely the better shot for black people.”

Find this article at: http://www.esquire.com/the-side/feature/racists-support-obama-061308

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2008, 12:59:14 AM »

NOT ANOTHER OBAMA SUPERDELEGATE
Dodd Tied to Countrywide Loans
By DAMIAN PALETTA
June 13, 2008; Page A11

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Christopher Dodd, a top figure in Democrats' response to the housing crisis, defended through a spokesman two mortgages he reportedly received under a special Countrywide Financial Corp. program that awarded preferential interest rates to people referred to as "friends" of the company's chairman and chief executive, Angelo Mozilo.

"The Dodds received a competitive rate on their loans," said Bryan DeAngelis, Sen. Dodd's press secretary. "They did not seek or anticipate any special treatment, and they were not aware of any." He declined further comment.

The news could cause headaches for the Connecticut senator, who is trying to negotiate housing legislation designed to deal with the foreclosure crisis. The final bill could include expanding a government program to insure up to $300 billion in refinanced home loans.

Publicly, Mr. Dodd has been critical of some of the mortgages in which Countrywide specialized, such as loans known as "payment-option ARMs," adjustable-rate mortgages that give borrowers multiple payment options each month. In December 2007, he co-signed a letter to Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke that called these mortgages at Countrywide "abusive" because "these loans were not made on the basis of a borrower's ability to pay."

The "Friends of Angelo" program was first disclosed by The Wall Street Journal on Saturday and focused on former Fannie Mae Chief Executive James Johnson. Mr. Johnson resigned from Sen. Barack Obama's vice-presidential-search task force because of loans he received from the mortgage lender under the little-known program.

Condé Nast Portfolio magazine reported Sen. Dodd's participation in the program, among a handful of other Washington luminaries, on its Web site late Thursday. A spokesman for Countrywide, of Calabasas, Calif., didn't return a message seeking comment.

Portfolio said Countrywide made two loans in 2003 at special rates to Sen. Dodd: a $503,000 loan to refinance a Washington townhouse and a $275,042 loan to refinance a loan on a home in East Haddam, Conn. The article said Countrywide waived fractions of points on the loans, a move that likely saved Sen. Dodd money. Portfolio said the lower interest rates could have saved Sen. Dodd a combined $75,000 during the life of the 30-year loans, though this could be difficult to measure because the mortgages were reportedly adjustable-rate loans.

Write to Damian Paletta at damian.paletta@wsj.com

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2008, 01:01:52 AM »

I BET THAT OBAMA IS ON A STEADY DIET OF WAFFLES

Obama Risks `Pristine' Image in Question of Public Financing

Kristin Jensen and Jonathan D. Salant Fri Jun 13, 12:01 AM ET

June 13 (Bloomberg) -- Barack Obama learned the pitfalls of claiming the moral high ground this week when a top adviser resigned under pressure. His next challenge is whether to forfeit a huge financial edge over Republican John McCain or renege on a promise to accept public-funding limits.
ADVERTISEMENT

Obama pledged in March 2007 to pursue an agreement with the Republicans to participate in the public-financing system, which is designed to limit the influence of big money. That was before he began shattering private-fundraising records.

Strategists from both parties say the presumptive Democratic nominee would have an advantage of more than $100 million in the general election if he declines public money and its spending restrictions. The question is how much criticism he'd take for becoming the first presidential candidate to opt out of the system, which dates back to the Watergate era.

``The pressure once again is to prove that he's a different politician,'' said Kevin Madden, a Republican strategist who worked on Mitt Romney's primary campaign this year. Backing out would have ``all the elements of hypocrisy and expediency that could hurt this pristine brand that he tries to promote.''

The issue may have special resonance because both Obama and McCain are vying to be seen as reformers. Five aides have been forced out of McCain's campaign because of special-interest ties, and former Fannie Mae Chairman James Johnson quit Obama's vice presidential search committee on June 11 after reports that he may have received preferential mortgage terms from Countrywide Financial Corp.

Using the Issue

McCain has signaled he will use the public-financing issue against Obama.

In March 2007, McCain's campaign said the candidate would accept public money if the Democratic nominee did. Obama spokesman Bill Burton said his candidate would ``aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to preserve a publicly financed general election.''

By February 2008, the Obama campaign said public financing was only an ``option.'' Obama has refused to be pinned down on whether he'll participate, citing concerns about the effects of outside political groups that can raise millions and aren't controlled by campaigns.

``That's Washington double-speak,'' McCain responded. ``That's not transparency, nor is it keeping one's word to the American people.''

Minimal Damage?

Some strategists say the public-opinion damage may be minimal if Obama raises his own money for the election. And the advantages will be so great, they say, that they can't see how he would accept public financing.

``He'd be crazy to do it,'' said Lynn Cutler, a former vice chairwoman at the Democratic National Committee.

Obama, 46, an Illinois senator, has raised almost three times as much as McCain, 71, an Arizona senator. The downside for Obama is that the national party coffers traditionally filled by the DNC lag behind the Republican National Committee.

That matters because the two party committees act as shadow campaigns, doing their own advertising and get-out-the-vote efforts. A shortfall in DNC fundraising would hurt Obama even as his own campaign tops McCain's. At the end of April, Obama had a cash edge of $15 million over McCain; the RNC exceeded the DNC by $36 million.

Closing the Gap

Republican and Democratic strategists said they don't expect that disparity to last. Obama is sending staffers over to the DNC and should be able to help the committee raise as much money as the RNC, while his own campaign collects and spends at least $100 million more than McCain before the nominating conventions, they said.

``A lot of Obama's contributors have no identification with the sense of being a Democrat,'' said Eddie Mahe, a former deputy RNC chairman. ``They are Obama supporters. With communication from him, `You are doing this for me,' I think he can raise all the money he needs.''

The big question for Obama centers on the two months between the nominating conventions and the Nov. 4 election. If both he and McCain take public financing, each will get about $85 million to spend in that time.

They would also continue raising money for their party committees during that period. And Obama would probably push the DNC's money total over the RNC's if he focused his fundraising efforts only on the committee.

Still, by accepting public financing, Obama might not be able to raise as much money for the DNC as he would for his own campaign and wouldn't be able to coordinate spending efforts.

$500 Million

Should he opt to raise money privately, Obama could bring in as much as $500 million in the two-month general-election campaign, predicted Democratic strategist Joe Trippi. McCain has never raised more than $22 million in a month.

While others have lower estimates for Obama's fundraising, all expect him to outmatch McCain. That's because his list of donors tops 1.5 million and he's gotten a flood of contributions on the Internet.

``It's been an extraordinarily broad-based grassroots effort,'' said Roger Altman, a former deputy Treasury secretary who was a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter. Now that Obama is the nominee, he said, his ability to ``raise enormous sums going forward is huge.''

To contact the reporters on this story: Kristin Jensen in Washington at kjensen@bloomberg.net ; Jonathan D. Salant in Washington at jsalant@bloomberg.net

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2008, 01:04:09 AM »

Uh oh, Obama's got trouble in the Latina Community.  Those Che posters may need to go on the road.  The Cubans don't like Che.  Obama needs to read a little history about America and quit worrying about the boys in Pakistan and Kenya.
 House Latinas Irked by Obama's Neglect

By Jonathan Allen, CQ Staff Thu Jun 12, 10:15 AM ET

Barack Obama has a Latina problem in the House of Representatives, and it could be symptomatic of a larger obstacle to unifying his party.
ADVERTISEMENT

Several Hispanic women who backed New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton in the primaries are miffed at the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee's failure so far to seektheir support, according to several sources familiar with their discontent.

"We were told that he was going to make some approach to us to join the fold," said Rep. Grace F. Napolitano, D-Calif., a former chairwoman of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus. "I haven't heard from Mr. Obama."

It is not unusual for members of Congress to feel taken for granted by a president of their own party or a White House hopeful. But Obama has a tough task ahead in courting Clinton's strongest constituencies, including Hispanics, women and working-class white voters.

In particular, the Illinois senator, who got swamped in most heavily Hispanic districts across the country, can ill afford to risk alienating potential surrogates in a community that has viewed him with skepticism.

Napolitano, who describes herself as a "dyed in the wool" Democrat, said she will vote for and support the Democratic nominee in the fall. But she has not seen the type of commitment to Latino issues from Obama that she says she saw in Clinton.

"Unless I see something inherently helpful to our community, I'm going to sit back and see what happens," Napolitano said. Napolitano and some of her Hispanic colleagues are informally boycotting Obama campaign events aimed at reaching out to Clinton supporters because the candidate himself has not asked for their help.

Another lawmaker said anger over Obama's inattentiveness extends to women who are not Hispanic and even to Obama backers in the CHC who feel that they have been ignored by the campaign.

"It's about respect," that House member said. "I don't understand why third parties have to be intermediaries."

Over the course of the campaign, many House Democrats have privately expressed frustration with what they describe as Obama's neglect of elected officials.

The issue appears to be particularly acute among Hispanic women, who say the Democratic primaries were tinged with sexism and that Obama has shown little interest in issues of importance to Hispanic voters.

"They are pissed," said a congressman who has observed the developing anger. "People have said to Obama 'Call them.'"

With Clinton issuing a hardy endorsement of Obama last Saturday, backers of both campaigns say this is a critical period for Obama to reach out to Democrats who were loyal to Clinton.

"The scab is still drying," said one of the Hispanic women.

But the wound was exacerbated earlier this week when Rep. Xavier Becerra, one of Obama's most prominent Hispanic supporters, told Politico that he advised the Obama campaign that he could wrap up Hispanic backing by saying "Just give him to me for a week, and I will deliver the Latino vote."

Becerra's comments left some Hispanic lawmakers feeling that their support was being taken for granted.

But on Thursday, Becerra sought to reassure them.

"It's clear Sen. Obama will undertake energetic efforts to reach out to all of Sen. Clinton's supporters in order to build his team and unite all of us behind him," Becerra said. "His personal story, his message of hope and change and his tireless work to reach every corner of the country will no doubt resonate with all Americans, especially those in the Latino community."

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2008, 01:32:12 AM »

Oh, Dear, more superdelegates on the "housing crisis" dole.  More friends of Obama.   Let's just shorten that to MFOO, more friends of Obama.

Senators Caught in Mortgage Fallout

* Sign In to E-Mail or Save This
    * Print
    * Reprints
          o Digg
          o Facebook
          o Mixx
          o Yahoo! Buzz
          o Permalink

Article Tools Sponsored By
By LESLIE WAYNE
Published: June 14, 2008

When Senator Kent Conrad of North Dakota wanted a mortgage for his beach house, he turned to a Washington insider, James A. Johnson, former head of Fannie Mae, the government mortgage giant, who then put the senator in touch with Angelo Mozilo, chief executive of the mortgage lender Countrywide Financial.
Skip to next paragraph
Tomas Bravo/Reuters

Christopher J. Dodd

The ensuing telephone call between Mr. Conrad and Mr. Mozilo led to two Countrywide mortgages, including one in which the company bent its rules to give Mr. Conrad a loan.

Those loans are now among a number of Countrywide mortgages at the center of an examination into whether a number of top politicians in Washington — members of Congress, the cabinet and celebrated advisers — received favorable deals from a company whose lax lending standards are at the center of the subprime mortgage crisis.

This week, Mr. Johnson, whom Mr. Conrad turned to for help, was forced to step down as head of Senator Barack Obama’s vice-presidential selection committee in part over Countrywide home mortgage loans that Mr. Johnson had received at favorable rates.

At the center of the scrutiny is Countrywide’s “V.I.P.” program, also known as the “Friend of Angelo” program, in which Countrywide appeared to bend its lending rules for prominent people. Now, many of those receiving Countrywide home mortgages say they were not aware the company might have been working behind the scenes to give them favorable loan terms.

Senator Christopher J. Dodd of Connecticut, chairman of the Senate Banking Committee and a leader in the effort to help homeowners caught in the mortgage crisis, denied on Friday that he received preferential treatment for his two Countrywide loans. A spokesman for Mr. Dodd, Bryan DeAngelis, said that neither Mr. Dodd nor his wife had spoken to Mr. Mozilo about their loans.

“As a United States senator, I would never ask or expect to be treated differently than anyone else refinancing their home,” Mr. Dodd said in a statement. “This suggestion is outrageous and contrary to my entire career in public service. Just like millions of other Americans, we shopped around and received competitive rates.”

But Portfolio.com, the Web site of the business magazine Portfolio, cited internal documents indicating that Countrywide had reduced the rate on the mortgage of Mr. Dodd’s Washington town house by three-eighths of a point, saving him $2,000 a year in interest payments, and reduced the rate on a Connecticut house by a quarter point, saving $17,000 over the life of the loan.

For Mr. Dodd, who is said to be on a short list for vice president for Mr. Obama, the Countrywide mortgages may prove to be a problem in light of Mr. Obama’s ejection Mr. Johnson from his campaign over a similar issue.

“Obama has set such high standards on ethics,” said James Thurber, director of the Center for Congressional and Presidential Studies at American University in Washington. “If indeed Chris Dodd got below-market loans, it could be a disqualifier for someone being considered for an important appointment.”

In the case of Mr. Conrad, a member of the Senate Finance Committee, Portfolio.com cited Countrywide memorandums in which Mr. Mozilo told an employee to “make an exception due to the fact that the borrower is a senator.” That exception applied to a mortgage for an eight-unit apartment building in Bismarck, N.D., that Mr. Conrad was buying. Countywide normally provided mortgages for apartments with only four or fewer units.

For Mr. Conrad’s $1.07 million mortgage on his home in Bethany Beach, Del., Mr. Mozilo sent an e-mail message directing an employee to “take off 1 point,” or reduce the interest rate by a percentage point.

In an interview, Mr. Conrad said he was unaware of any special effort on his behalf and called his credit rating “spotless” in suggesting that he was eligible for favorable loan terms. He said he turned to Mr. Johnson and Mr. Mozilo because he was buying a property in Delaware and did not know where to get a mortgage in that state. After the phone call with Mr. Mozilo, a Countrywide loan officer called Mr. Conrad.

“I have a very high credit rating and that made me a pretty attractive customer,” said Mr. Conrad, who said he has had about 11 mortgages in his life. “I did not believe for a moment that I was getting preferential treatment. I thought I was getting good service from a real capable loan officer. I felt I was getting special treatment, but not that I was getting a special rate.”

Such loans to members of Congress or executive branch officials — if given on favorable terms — could run afoul of federal ethics laws that limit the amount public officials can receive as a gift, according to campaign ethics watchdogs. But if the senators were unaware that they were receiving favorable treatment and if there was no quid pro quo, it would be harder to make a case. Still, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, a nonprofit watchdog group, has called for Congressional ethics committees to investigate.

“There are legitimate questions that need to be answered,” said Melanie Sloan, executive director of the group. “It sounds like these senators didn’t inquire too closely about what they were getting.”

Portfolio.com reported that Alphonso Jackson, the former secretary of housing and urban development under President Bush; Donna E. Shalala, the secretary of health and human services under President Bill Clinton; and the former United Nations ambassador Richard C. Holbrooke also were part of the Countrywide V.I.P. program.

Richard Beattie, a lawyer for Mr. Holbrooke, said his client “personally had no contact with anybody at Countrywide and, to his knowledge, he got no favorable treatment.” Annette Herrera, a spokeswoman at the University of Miami, where Ms. Shalala is president, said Ms. Shalala was “not commenting on the issue at this time.”

Rachel L. Swarns contributed reporting.

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2008, 01:00:34 PM »

Very interesting reading from such a wide variety of sources.  You and Janet bring such a plethora of info. that is very enlightening.   With your background in politics,  it amazes me that CAESU would question your integrity.  You have my full respect and I love what you bring here to the political forum.  A VARIETY of view points and facts!

Please continue to share!   

Thanks for what you do Tyler and Janet(a great neighbor and supporter of Americans and democracy)   {HUGS}  to both of you!

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2008, 02:32:38 PM »

i am impressed by the very good copy-paste work Tylergal!

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2008, 03:34:46 PM »

Is she supposed to type the entire text herself, when it is simpler to copy for sharing??   Isn't that what you or all of us for that matter do too? 

She gives credit to the author and source of each article.....   So your point is?

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2008, 04:38:51 PM »

Is she supposed to type the entire text herself, when it is simpler to copy for sharing??   Isn't that what you or all of us for that matter do too? 

She gives credit to the author and source of each article.....   So your point is?

posting 11 articles in row without some own thoughts/comments, without a link to the source.
i find that a bit too easy. doesn't have much to do with discussing.

or is it the amount of articles someone can copy-paste that counts and makes someone supposedly 'experienced and knowledgeable'.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.