March 28, 2024, 04:34:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NYTimes outs CIA operative  (Read 2725 times)
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: June 22, 2008, 07:00:34 PM »

New York Times Outs CIA Operative
By Mick Wright | June 22, 2008 - 10:12 ET

In an astonishing stroke of irony, the New York Times has outed the name of the CIA operative who interrogated 9/11 mastermind Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, over the objections of CIA Director Michael V. Hayden and a lawyer representing the operative.

Agency officials and legal counsel told the Times that publishing the agent's name would "invade his privacy and put him at risk of retaliation from terrorists or harassment from critics of the agency."

In an Editor's Note linked from the story on KSM's interrogation, the Times defended its decision by stating that "other government employees" had been "named publicly in books and published articles" or had chosen to go public themselves, by explaining that its policy "is to withhold the name of a news subject only very rarely," and by arguing the operative's name "was necessary for the credibility and completeness of the article."

Times reporter Scott Shane describes his scoop as "the closest look to date beneath the blanket of secrecy that hides the program from terrorists and from critics who accuse the agency of torture."

The CIA apparently believes that by publishing the operative's name, the Times put the agent at risk for retaliatory strikes from such "critics" and terrorists, despite his here-described lack of participation in the agency's "harsh interrogation methods."

Of course, this is just the latest in a long string of Times articles that have leaked classified and guarded information critical to America's security and that of its people and public servants. Alert readers have long since stopped expecting any level of consistency from the same liberal media that was obsessed with the naming of Valerie Plame (though they've been considerably less obsessed with the actual source of Robert Novak's column, Richard Armitage).

The Central Intelligence Agency asked The New York Times not to publish the name of Deuce Martinez, an interrogator who questioned Khalid Shaikh Mohammed and other high-level Al Qaeda prisoners, saying that to identify Mr. Martinez would invade his privacy and put him at risk of retaliation from terrorists or harassment from critics of the agency.

After discussion with agency officials and a lawyer for Mr. Martinez, the newspaper declined the request, noting that Mr. Martinez had never worked under cover and that others involved in the campaign against Al Qaeda have been named in news stories and books. The editors judged that the name was necessary for the credibility and completeness of the article.

The Times's policy is to withhold the name of a news subject only very rarely, most often in the case of victims of sexual assault or intelligence officers operating under cover.

Mr. Martinez, a career analyst at the agency until his retirement a few years ago, did not directly participate in waterboarding or other harsh interrogation methods that critics describe as torture and, in fact, turned down an offer to be trained in such tactics.

The newspaper seriously considered the requests from Mr. Martinez and the agency. But in view of the experience of other government employees who have been named publicly in books and published articles or who have themselves chosen to go public, the newspaper made the decision to print the name.

Mike Wright, Memphis, Tennessee.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 09:43:35 PM »

Amazing.  Does the media truly think scooping a story like this is in the best interest of our country and those who are protecting?  Where are compassion and prirorities in this country coming too?  What good do they think will come out of outing a CIA interrogator and the actions taken to protect us.   I hate that the media is a two edged sword.  I appreciate there investigative reporting, but not at the expense of somebody's life and the safety of our country!

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 05:21:50 PM »

first of all either the CIA (because Mr. Martinez refused to train in waterboarding) or the interrogator himself must have given his name to the NYT of course.

second, how incompetent is the CIA if they have interrogators who don't even speak Arabic??

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/washington/22ksm.htm

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 05:41:24 PM »

How competent are you that you would respond to such a loaded question and then defend the idiocy that you do.  You are too easy.  You are putty in my hands.  If you want to talk issues, load yourself with history of this country and the oath which the CIA takes.  Don't be such a third-rate responder to a country that has provided your country with freedom against Hitler and the Muslims.  Pick up your chin off the floor and abandon your ship as any good liberal would do.

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 05:58:13 PM »

Don't be such a third-rate responder to a country that has provided your country with freedom against Hitler and the Muslims. 

the current administration can't use that to counter all criticism.
it's not an excuse to wage a illegitimate war and violate human rights 60 years later.

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 06:05:06 PM »

Don't be such a third-rate responder to a country that has provided your country with freedom against Hitler and the Muslims. 

it's not an excuse to wage a illegitimate war and violate human rights 60 years later.

Don't pout and threaten, just take your scattered marbles and go home.

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 06:14:26 PM »

Don't pout and threaten, just take your scattered marbles and go home.

the way you respond says a lot. 

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 06:22:12 PM »

Your sentences are so predictable, "Bush ..."  "The current administration.."  No one has to read what you say, it's all going to start with some semblance of "Bush's fault." 

So as your only chorus is "Bush's fault," there is no need for me to waste my time on your pompous, but petty scribbling.

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 07:47:16 PM »

Your sentences are so predictable, "Bush ..."  "The current administration.."  No one has to read what you say, it's all going to start with some semblance of "Bush's fault." 

So as your only chorus is "Bush's fault," there is no need for me to waste my time on your pompous, but petty scribbling.

stop wasting your time on me then. and continue with wasting your time instead on copy-pasting.
i am look forward what kind of crap you will pull out tomorrow out of those blogs like FreeRepublic and others.

but i am just not willing to give the current administration / Bush credit for liberating Europe in 1945.

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 12:22:44 AM »

stop wasting your time on me then. and continue with wasting your time instead on copy-pasting.
i am look forward what kind of crap you will pull out tomorrow out of those blogs like FreeRepublic and others.

but i am just not willing to give the current administration / Bush credit for liberating Europe in 1945.

I don't know anything about New Republic but as to your last comment, the Bush administration has not saved Europe from the ravages of World War II, but President Bush's father was very instrumental in that.  However, we have aided and assisted in saving Europe from herself during the Bush administration.  Even the voters are electing more right-leaning politicians.  Incredible.

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 08:00:54 PM »

I don't know anything about New Republic but as to your last comment, the Bush administration has not saved Europe from the ravages of World War II, but President Bush's father was very instrumental in that.  However, we have aided and assisted in saving Europe from herself during the Bush administration.  Even the voters are electing more right-leaning politicians.  Incredible.

if you know anything about European politics you know that also there, there is a periodic shift between more left and more right wing governments.
but that has nothing at all to do with Bush.

however the GOP losing the 2006 US congress election and the GOP likely to lose the 2008 US election does have everything to do with the failure on all fronts of the Bush administration.

"assisted in saving Europe from herself during the Bush administration", i have no idea what you are talking about.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.