April 18, 2024, 11:12:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: McCain In Canada Strikes Nerve  (Read 1213 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: June 23, 2008, 09:19:39 PM »

McCain In Canada Strikes Nerve

INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY

Posted 6/23/2008

Election: Going to Canada to show appreciation doesn't seem an obvious way to win a U.S. election. But based on the fury it drew from Democrats, maybe John McCain was on to something.

(snip)

Canada in fact has been stunned to find itself at the center of free-trade debate in the U.S. election season, one that shouldn't be happening.

It's finding itself condemned by Democrats, who seem to think trading with the U.S. amounts to theft. Barack Obama has called free trade with Canada "devastating" and vowed to punish our ally into renegotiating the 1994 treaty on his terms — rhetoric he's now backtracking on.

Compare that to McCain:

"For all the successes of (NAFTA), we have to defend it without equivocation in political debate, because it is critical to the future of so many Canadian and American workers and businesses," he said. "Demanding unilateral changes and threatening to abrogate an agreement that has increased trade and prosperity is nothing more than retreating behind protectionist walls."

McCain also thanked Canada for its friendship, which has blossomed along with the trade, noting that the U.S. had lucked out getting Canada, (instead of, say, Syria or Venezuela), as the country next door.

more at the site -
http://www.investors.com/editorial/editorialcontent.asp?secid=1501&status=article&id=299113294588368

I never found politics so interesting before...

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.