March 29, 2024, 12:14:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Make right turns! Save gas  (Read 1914 times)
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 03, 2008, 02:34:05 PM »

Take it from UPS: Left turns waste gas

By RACHEL TOBIN RAMOS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/03/08
By driving 2 billion miles a year, UPS has learned a thing or two about how to save fuel. The Sandy Springs-based package carrier — the largest in the world, by the way — operates 93,637 vans, delivery trucks, tractor trailers and motorcycles. Of those, only 1,629 use alternate fuels.

With fuel becoming the carrier's No. 1 expense, conserving the precious petroleum product has become a top priority for Big Brown.

As Americans prepare to drive to the fairgrounds, the mountains, the beaches and beyond for the Fourth of July, here are three tips from the pros.

Avoid left turns. UPS routes are designed to avoid left turns. Idling while waiting to turn left wastes time and gas. This tip shaved 29 million miles off its U.S. drivers' routes last year, saving UPS more than 3 million gallons of gas. At $4 a gallon, that's a $12 million savings.

Reduce idling. UPS practices a "no idling" policy — no matter how short of a stop a UPS driver makes, the engine is turned off. By reducing idling time by 24 minutes a day, UPS can save $188 per driver per year.

Plan your route. For errands or trips, plan a route that doesn't backtrack. Find the quickest and most direct route with a map or Web site.

I just want to make note here that #1 son who is a corporate executive now but started out as a grunt, taught this at his first PR gig with his large corporation years ago and the papers who now advocate it were some of his harshest critics back in the day.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 05:39:09 PM »

Smart son tyler !

I didn't realize that driving above 40 mph with your windows down costs more in gas than driving with your air conditioning (at a moderate fan)? It seems going faster than 40 with your windows down creates a drag on the aerodynamics that results in using more gas?

go figure.....anything that saves that outrageous gas I say !

I continue to stand with the girl.
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 07:27:37 PM »

Smart son tyler !

I didn't realize that driving above 40 mph with your windows down costs more in gas than driving with your air conditioning (at a moderate fan)? It seems going faster than 40 with your windows down creates a drag on the aerodynamics that results in using more gas?

go figure.....anything that saves that outrageous gas I say !

Yes, it does and my son married that girl who as a college kid would drive at 50 with her windows open to save gas.  He tried to tell her.  Finally, her daddy splained it to her and she got it.  She's been cool ever since.  Smile  Of course, she is spending #1 son's money on A/C and gas now. 

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.