March 29, 2024, 09:21:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: School Choice?  (Read 2106 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: June 25, 2008, 09:16:03 PM »

I wonder where the Obama or McCain children would go to school in D.C.?  Public school?  Private school?

Amy Carter did not receive the same "media hands-off" treatment that the Clintons insisted upon for their daughter, Chelsea. The fact that Amy went to public school, her views on nuclear disarmament, and the time she was seen to be reading a book at the table during a state dinner were all subjects of media stories. (Some furor attended the "reading at the table" incident, which some saw as an affront to foreign guests.)
http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/2000/02/17/p19s3.htm

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 09:20:34 AM »

Our national government needs to keep its nose out of school choice.  Certainly, I can see a need for it in D.C. or other very large metro areas.  However, in small rural areas it causes more problems than it solves when a government sets the same standards for large city schools as it does rural schools.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 11:13:02 AM »

Who looks after the public schools in the large urban areas?

I believe education starts in the home.  I've know quite a few immigrants that were given the opportunity for a free education in the countries of origin.  Sometimes, they lacked books, paper, pencils or pens, shoes, and food to name a few things.  The school buildings were in poor shape, shabby by many standards.  What they did have were parents that insisted they walk each and every day to school and learn.  Parents that insisted they get an education and an opportunity for a better life.

I've been humbled many times by comments -

"How can you not be successful in a place like this?  Look at all this?"  (comment about school building)

"You have so much, how can you not be successful?" (comment about community/jobs/opportunities)

Where are the dreams for a better life?  Who can see opportunity through all the material things that people in this country already have, and may not appreciate?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 04:28:27 PM »

Who looks after the public schools in the large urban areas?

Good Question!  I assume it is an elected school board implementing federal and state standards.  I can not say whether issues are dealt with equally or not.  I am only familiar with far less populated areas. 

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.