March 29, 2024, 03:43:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brooke Bennett 12yrs old missing 6/25/08 Randolph Vermont(BODY FOUND)  (Read 187866 times)
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 02:59:56 PM »

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 04:37:28 PM »

<snip>

Suspects
Male

Age    Height    Weight

Hair Unknown    Eyes Unknown

Unknown

http://amberalert.com/

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 04:48:21 PM »

Investigation continues for Brooke Bennett
4:13 p.m. Update
June 28, 2008

RANDOLPH, Vt. (AP) — Fliers went up around Vermont and state lottery tickets included a notice of Vermont’s first-ever AMBER Alert as the search for a missing 12-year-old girl entered its third day Saturday. Her father said he was staying close to the phone, hoping for good news.

Brooke Bennett of Braintree was last seen Wednesday in Randolph, where her uncle dropped her off after she said she wanted to meet a friend and go visit the friend’s sick relative at a hospital.

Police have since raised doubts that such a rendezvous was planned and have been focusing their investigation on contacts the girl is believed to have made through the MySpace social networking Web site.

Vermont State Police said they searched again Saturday in and around the rural village of Brookfield, about eight miles from Randolph, where they said items of the girl’s clothing were found. The search turned up no new leads, said Sgt. Tara Thomas, state police spokeswoman.

State police and the FBI were conducting forensic evaluations both of the found items, which they declined to describe, and of the computer the girl had been using.

Authorities said they were following up on more than 150 leads in the investigation, including some generated by the AMBER Alert.

AMBER Alerts are a national program administered by the U.S. Department of Justice designed to “to activate an urgent bulletin in the most serious child-abduction cases. The goal of an AMBER Alert is to instantly galvanize the entire community to assist in the search for and the safe recovery of the child,” according to a program Web site.

Authorities were asking for anyone with information to call the Vermont State Police barracks in Bethel at 802-234-9933.

Meanwhile Saturday, James Bennett, Brooke’s father, said he was feeling both anxious and frustrated. A constable in Bethel, where he lives, Bennett said he would like to be participating in the searches for his daughter but at been advised by state police not to.

“They’ve advised me to stay here and answer the phone and be where they can reach me if they need to,” said Bennett, 41. “I really don’t know what to think. I’m hoping it’s something where she decided she had to take off and she’s going to call and tell me she’s OK. But I’m well aware it could be something much worse.”

Bennett said his daughter had weathered a difficult transition this past school year from the small elementary school in Braintree to seventh grade at the much larger Randolph Union High School. “She had some issues, but she ended up with passing grades. She turned it around all right.”

http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080628/NEWS/474070131

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 04:57:02 PM »

Residents shaken by missing child

June 28, 2008

Sarah Hinkley
Times Argus Staff

RANDOLPH — The reality of Brooke Bennett's disappearance really hit Jennifer Emmons when detectives stopped by the Randolph Village Laundromat to ask questions.

The North Main Street business is one of the last locations that witnesses saw Bennett, 12, sometime between the hours of 9 and 11 a.m. Wednesday morning, state police reported on Friday.

"It's not my kid, but I still feel for these parents," said Emmons whose son was in Bennett's seventh-grade class at Randolph High School. "My mother always said, 'there's got to be two of you.'"

Standing in front of a flier of Bennett with "Missing" written across the top, Emmons said the search for the girl, who has not been seen since she was dropped off in Randolph Wednesday, has been the talk of the town. She and other parents had been talking, fighting disbelief and admitting that there is no such thing as being too smothering.

"A sense of, wow, I can't believe it happened in Randolph," said Emmons, the mother of three, including two girls.

The laundry is located just over the bridge, toward Randolph village, from the Cumberland Farms where Bennett, of Braintree, was dropped off by her uncle around 9 a.m. Wednesday.

There is video surveillance of Bennett and her uncle entering the convenience store, making a purchase and exiting in opposite directions. Police reported that witnesses have said Bennett was seen near the laundry and at the Dunkin' Donuts on the other end of the village during the morning.

"You think you're grown up and you realize you're not," said Kayla Striebe, 13, of Northfield about being 12 years old. "Last night when we were watching the news, my parents just kept saying, over and over, 'Don't talk to strangers.'"

Vermont State Police Col. James Baker reported on Friday afternoon that the disappearance of Bennett is a "MySpace case." Police have reason to believe her disappearance involves someone with whom Bennett was communicating with on the Internet social networking site. When an Amber Alert was put out by the state police around 5:25 p.m. on Thursday, it was posted on the top of MySpace addresses, notifying those in Vermont accessing MySpace.

"My kids are not allowed on MySpace," said Emmons. "My kids are not allowed on the Internet without me there."

"We never thought of this stuff when I was growing up. Of course, we didn't have Internet," said Brenda Traegde of Royalton, who was talking with Emmons about the case.

From Bethel to Randolph and throughout central Vermont, talk of the young girl having vanished was on the tongues of everyone, even those without children. Most asked how anyone could be capable of an abduction, though no one is clear on what has happened to Bennett.

Those closest to Bennett's age are especially leery about her disappearance and the information that has surfaced in the last couple of days, including the fact some of her clothing was found on Route 65 in Brookfield.

"Right now it makes you feel like pretty much everyone around here you can't trust," said Emma Brooks, 14, of Hartford. "You don't really think that Vermont is where this type of thing happens."

She and several other teens, including Striebe, were hanging out in the gazebo of the park in Randolph Village early Friday afternoon. They were in town for a theater production at the Chandler Music Hall, located next to the Randolph Village Laundromat.

During a break in their activities, a number of youth were hanging out on the steps in front with two Randolph Police officers in their midst.

"It makes you more aware that you can't trust anybody," said Molly Clark, 14, of Northfield.

The group admitted they are making a point of traveling in packs, even the block walk from the music hall.

State Police Col. Baker stated during a morning press conference that his hope is that the community would not be scared, but instead focus on caution and trust that the police are doing their jobs. There are 30 detectives interviewing witnesses and following up on leads, Baker said.

Investigators from the FBI have been brought in for the case, including five who specialize in investigating missing children. Several federal agents are also working with the state's chapter of the Internet Crimes Against Children – or ICAC – task force in Burlington to look through Bennett's computer for information.

"It's sad for society to come to this, for our children to become prey to people that aren't necessarily right in the head," said Mark Ramsey, of Randolph. "Hopefully she turns up okay."

He was standing outside the Super Suds Laundromat, just over a block from the one where Bennett was spotted.

"It's bound to start happening in more rural towns," said Ramsey. "It's happening all over the United States."

Fliers with Bennett's photo were posted in the windows of businesses throughout downtown and life seemed to bustle as usual, but with the occasional mention of the missing girl. Rumors – discredited by police Friday afternoon – of her body being found in Sunset Lake were flying around in the shops and restaurants.

"We are gravely concerned about the wellbeing of Brooke Bennett," said Baker. "This case is very much centered around and about social networking online."

And as long as there is access to the World Wide Web, children everywhere are vulnerable.

"I feel like it could happen in any town, at any time," said Matt Caron, 15, of South Royalton, one of the theater group.

Contact Sarah Hinckley at sarah.hinckley@timesargus.com.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2008, 05:25:44 PM »

Brooke Bennett

James Bennett, Brooke's Dad

Casandra Gatnon, Brooke's Mom

Police Dive Team                  Searcher and Dog on Floating Bridge

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2008, 05:40:37 PM »

FBI sends Agents to look for Brooke Bennett

Friday, June 27, 2008 Written By OS9USER At 4:54:00 PM

The search of Sunset Lake is complete and nothing was found. LE thinks Brooke may have been taken out of state.

It is reported that the item believed to be Brooke's found in Brookfield is a sneaker. Police have also called off the ground search for today and will decide where to continue searching tomorrow.

However, The FBI has been called in to help. Here is an official press release from FBI Headquarters ...

FBI CARD Team Assists in Search for Missing Vermont Child

The FBI has dispatched five FBI agents from its Child Abduction
Rapid Deployment (CARD) team to assist the Vermont State Police and our Albany Division in the search for missing 12-year-old Brooke Bennett. Additionally, two special agents from our Behavior Analysis Unit in Quantico, Virginia are en route to help.

“We will do everything we can to assist our partners at the Vermont State Police to help find Brooke, and bring those responsible to justice,” said Kenneth W. Kaiser, Assistant Director of the FBI’s Criminal Division.

CARD teams consist of four to six FBI agents trained in kidnapping and child abduction investigations who can quickly augment FBI resources as well as assist local and state police efforts, when requested.

Their expertise, combined with the unyielding efforts of local and state officers, often help generate leads and help put an extra set of eyes on the facts of the case.

The FBI can also provide technical support with electronic communications, aerial surveillance, polygraph examinations, evidence collection and behavioral analysis.

Brooke has shoulder length brown hair with purple highlights and blue eyes. She is 5'3" tall and weighs 98 lbs. She was last seen wearing blue jeans, a pink sweater and white sneakers with pink lettering. Brooke's ears are pierced on top and bottom. She has a freckle in the front of her neck and a bug bite above her left eyebrow.

If anyone has any information about Brooke please call Vermont State Police at (802) 234-9933

I believe in miracles!
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2008, 05:46:02 PM »

Missing Girl's Father: 'We Love You'

4:18 pm EDT June 28, 2008
BROOKFIELD, Vt. -- Federal and Vermont authorities have received more than 150 leads in the case of a girl missing since Wednesday.

Vermont State Police issued the state's first Amber Alert on Wednesday after Brooke Bennett, 12, of Braintree, Vt., disappeared after her uncle dropped her off at the Cumberland Farms in Randolph.

"We love you. We want you home. Call us. We'll come get you," said Brooke's father, James Bennett. "Bring my daughter back. Bring her back."

Authorities searched on Saturday an area where a sneaker that investigators said they believe belongs to Bennett was discovered. Forensic investigators continue to review the sneaker and other items found.

NewsChannel 5's Jackie Bender reported the most frustrating part for Brooke's family on Saturday was when police called off the Sunset Lake search.

"It's frustrating because there really isn't anything I can do except hope somebody calls with some information," James Bennett said.

State police also said investigators are reviewing video footage from cameras located in the area. Some video includes footage captured from a surveillance camera in a Randolph convenience store that police said shows Bennett entering the store.

"It's frustrating because there really isn't anything I can do except hope somebody calls with some information."

The video from about 9 a.m. Wednesday shows Bennett in a pink sweater, with her uncle at the checkout of the Cumberland Farms in Randolph. Police said he bought cigarettes and coffee, and the two walked out of the store and parted ways (More).

Brooke Bennett has brown hair with purple streaks and blue eyes. She's 5 feet 3 tall and weighs just under 100 pounds. Police said she was last seen wearing blue jeans, a pink sweater and white sneakers.

If you have information regarding this investigation, contact the Vermont State Police crime information tip line by dialing 802-234-9933.

http://www.wptz.com/news/16736894/detail.html

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2008, 06:42:01 PM »

NEW INFORMATION: Vermont Issues First Amber Alert

Posted: June 26, 2008 10:30 AM

Updated: June 27, 2008 10:21 AM
   Fox44 Links
   Bonus: Missing Girl Press Conference

The first Amber Alert used in the state of Vermont was activated Thursday afternoon in the case of a missing 12-year old girl.  Brooke Bennett was last seen Wednesday morning at a convenience store in Randolph.   

An uncle and cousin dropped the girl off for a pre-arranged meeting with a friend.  Bennett told her family she was going to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center to visit the friend's relative.  Police now suspect that was a lie.

Fox 44 News has learned the Vermont State Police Computer Crime Unit is examining Bennett's computer to determine the identity of the person she was communicating with via the internet.

Right now, State Police along with K-9 teams and the State Police Search and Rescue Team are searching for the Braintree, Vermont girl.  Items of clothing belonging to Bennett have been found.  The clothes have been sent to the Vermont Forensic Labratory for testing.

Vermont State Police describe the search as active and aggressive.   Bennett is 5' 03" and weighs 98 pounds.  She has brown hair with purple highlights and blue eyes.  She was wearing blue jeans, a pink sweater and white sneakers with pink lettering.  If anyone has seen her or has any information , call the Vermont State Police at (802) 234-9933.

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2008, 06:49:09 PM »

BROOKFIELD, Vt. -- Federal and Vermont authorities have received more than 150 leads in the case of a girl missing since Wednesday.

Vermont State Police issued the state's first Amber Alert on Wednesday after Brooke Bennett, 12, of Braintree, Vt., disappeared after her uncle dropped her off at the Cumberland Farms in Randolph.

"We love you. We want you home. Call us. We'll come get you," said Brooke's father, James Bennett. "Bring my daughter back. Bring her back."

Authorities searched on Saturday an area where a sneaker that investigators said they believe belongs to Bennett was discovered. Forensic investigators continue to review the sneaker and other items found.

NewsChannel 5's Jackie Bender reported the most frustrating part for Brooke's family on Saturday was when police called off the Sunset Lake search.

"It's frustrating because there really isn't anything I can do except hope somebody calls with some information," James Bennett said.

State police also said investigators are reviewing video footage from cameras located in the area. Some video includes footage captured from a surveillance camera in a Randolph convenience store that police said shows Bennett entering the store.

"It's frustrating because there really isn't anything I can do except hope somebody calls with some information."
- James Bennett,
Missing Girl's Father
The video from about 9 a.m. Wednesday shows Bennett in a pink sweater, with her uncle at the checkout of the Cumberland Farms in Randolph. Police said he bought cigarettes and coffee, and the two walked out of the store and parted ways (More).

Brooke Bennett has brown hair with purple streaks and blue eyes. She's 5 feet 3 tall and weighs just under 100 pounds. Police said she was last seen wearing blue jeans, a pink sweater and white sneakers.

If you have information regarding this investigation, contact the Vermont State Police crime information tip line by dialing 802-234-9933.

http://www.wptz.com/news/16736894/detail.html

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2008, 08:49:44 PM »

I posted above the article about the missing sneaker having been found. It certainly doesn't sound good.

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2008, 09:26:03 PM »

I know I saw it after I already posted it 

I pray that she's  OK and just ran a way for a few days.

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2008, 01:22:12 AM »

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=8574397&nav=4QcS

Rumors Hard On Missing Girl's Family

Randolph, Vermont - June 28, 2008

Another day of searching on Saturday, and still no sign of missing 12-year-old, Brooke Bennett. Brooke's family is holding out hope that their daughter will be found safe and alive, but the rumors around town are making the search difficult to bear.

Missing poster signs hang in the windows of storefronts in downtown Randolph, where Brooke Bennett was last seen on Wednesday morning. On many, people have added the words, 'still missing.' That's because there have been rumors that the young girl was found dead yesterday in Sunset Lake in Brookfield.

"There was an issue yesterday in South Royalton that they were taking posters down," said Brooke's father, Jim Bennett. "She wasn't found dead. The rumors aren't true."

The rumor wasn't just spread by word of mouth. On the social networking Web site, Facebook, people were writing on a special "Find Brook(e) Bennett" page that the 12-year-old was dead.

Companies from across the northeast are helping Brooke's family with their efforts to get more posters out, especially in the South Royalton area where the others were taken down. Spaulding Printing Press, in Bethel, donated 100 missing person flyers this morning. The Molly Bish Foundation in Massachusetts, is donating more than 100 pins with Brooke's picture on them. They will be distributed throughout the Randolph area on Sunday.

As for the investigation, the Vermont State Police did not talk to the media on Saturday. In a statement, they said they are working with the FBI to analyze Brooke's computer and her clothing that was found hear Sunset Lake on Thursday morning.

"It's frustrating not knowing what's going on. There are certain aspects of the investigation that they have to keep to themselves so they don't compromise the investigation, and I understand that. But it's still frustrating," Jim Bennett said.

As for the evidence the police are reviewing, they say that process will take some time, so no new information is expected for a few days.

Matt Henson - WCAX News

I believe in miracles!
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008, 04:08:01 AM »

This is a worrisome situation.  I am glad the FBI is on the case.  I'm afraid for this young girl.

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2008, 08:35:13 AM »

This looks like the one she is using.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=358797754

From the page:

"i wanna leave stupid vermont and go to texas already!!! sorry to all my friends but i need to get away!?"

The sign up date for this myspace seems to be the cut off date from the one she set up with her father until he changed the password.

This account was logged in yesterday.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2008, 08:52:27 AM »

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=8567911&nav=menu183_2

Police Analyze Missing Girl's Online Chats

Burlington, Vermont - June 27, 2008

As police search for a missing 12-year-old from Brookfield, they are focusing on her internet communications as potentially critical evidence that could help find her.

Specially trained investigators are already analyzing computers that they suspect Brooke Bennett may have used in recent months for online chatting that could have been with her pals-- or with a predator.

"Well here is a hard drive taken out of its casing," computer investigator Mike Touchette says, demonstrating. "This is what the police are looking at."

Touchette is one of a dozen specially trained Vermont law enforcement officers who analyze computer hard drives. The hard drive is a computer's filing cabinet, storing the addresses of every computer it has communicated with. Brooke Bennett has been talking with a lot of other people, apparently through the social networking website called MySpace.

"What they're hoping to find is info that would lead to... give us information about any unusual associations she's had with people, that will help them lead to finding her," explains Touchette.

Touchette says in a best case scenario, the police detectives could find her contacts in just a few hours, but that is unlikely.

"In a case like this you're probably talking several weeks for a true, full forensic analysis," Touchette estimates. "The volume of data that were dealing with is just huge. So what we do is we try and pinpoint specifics that are truly important to the case."

The Federal Bureau of Investigations has assigned half a dozen computer experts to work with a similar number of Vermont detectives, and what they are looking for are the leads that could identify possible predators.

"Internet history, social networking sites she has been looking at, or blogging at, or using with some regularity," explains Touchette.

Touchette says some internet predators have become so good at hiding their identities that it could take months to track them down. In fact, he is working on an international case that has already taken nearly two years. But in this case, he is optimistic and he thinks that the police probably have all the best possible resources, especially now with the FBI task force involved.

As for MySpace, they have to cooperate. The feds will get a subpoena if necessary.

Brian Joyce - WCAX News

Don't friends tell each other everything any more?

I believe in miracles!
KC
Scared Monkey

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2008, 03:15:01 PM »

So, why isn't the Dad talking with the Mom or the Uncle?  Why hasn't there been a statement from the Uncle?  And my kids wonder why I don't let them have myspace pages.  Since myspace pages are so  interrelated, I wonder what her friends know based on comments that we can't see because her pages are private. 
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2008, 03:58:07 PM »

So, why isn't the Dad talking with the Mom or the Uncle?  Why hasn't there been a statement from the Uncle?  And my kids wonder why I don't let them have myspace pages.  Since myspace pages are so  interrelated, I wonder what her friends know based on comments that we can't see because her pages are private. 

I would say her friends know more.  They are going to get the information from Myspace whether they like it or not.  I would never let my child have an account there end of story.  Too many nuts in this world and they know how to manipulate.
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2008, 06:23:16 PM »

I know I saw it after I already posted it 

I pray that she's  OK and just ran a way for a few days.

Me too very scary. The hours are passing......... Crying or Very sad

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2008, 06:24:42 PM »

Search continues for missing girl, 12

June 29, 2008
BETHEL, Vt.—Additional state troopers and FBI agents were brought Sunday onto the case of a 12-year-old girl who disappeared Wednesday, but authorities reported no major breaks in the investigation.

Brooke Bennett of Braintree was last seen in Randolph on Wednesday after her uncle dropped her off at a convenience store.

She had told family members she planned to meet a friend and visit the friend's relative in a hospital. But police have said they doubt the girl had such a plan. Instead, they believe she may have been to meet someone she had contacted through the MySpace social networking Web site.

State Police Sgt. Tara Thomas said investigators had planned to do aerial searches on Sunday, but that weather factors, including a low cloud cover, prevented that. She said she expected searching from the air would begin early this week.

Police on Friday issued Vermont's first-ever AMBER Alert, which is essentially a missing-person report blasted to media and even to cell phone customers who have signed up to receive such messages. Thomas said Sunday authorities had received more than 150 tips in response to that notification.

"Then it's a matter of getting on the phone, tracking down those leads, seeing what information they might provide," she said. She could not say whether any of the tips received so far had led investigators to hope they might soon resolve the case.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermont/articles/2008/06/29/search_continues_for_missing_girl_12/

KC
Scared Monkey

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2008, 07:24:17 PM »

You would think Myspace would volunteer whatever they can to help...as each hour passes, I would think the chances of finding her alive diminish.  Even if the person she was communicating with was very clever, there would still be other comments, messages and such that would perhaps give a clue? 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.