April 23, 2024, 09:40:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brooke Bennett 12yrs old missing 6/25/08 Randolph Vermont(BODY FOUND)  (Read 188526 times)
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2008, 07:34:35 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/30/vermont.missing.girl.ap/index.html?eref=rss_latest

Uncle of missing Vermont girl arrested on sex charges

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) -- Vermont State Police said Sunday the uncle of a missing 12-year-old girl -- one of the last people to see her before she vanished -- has been arrested on unrelated sex charges.

Michael Jacques, 42, of Randolph, who dropped off Brooke Bennett at a convenience store Wednesday and was seen leaving it in a different direction on a surveillance camera video, was charged with aggravated sexual assault against a minor. The alleged victim wasn't Bennett, who remained missing Sunday, despite an intensive search by state police, the FBI and other agencies.

Jacques, who is married to Bennett's mother's sister, is listed on Vermont's sex offender registry. He was convicted of sexual assault and kidnapping in 1993.

The arrest came as the result of information uncovered by investigators assigned to the disappearance.

Jacques was being held at the Southern State Correctional Facility in Springfield, pending an arraignment Monday. If convicted, he could get 10 years to life in prison.

Police said Jacques and a cousin of Brooke's dropped the girl at Cumberland Farms in Randolph about 9 a.m. Wednesday. On the video, which was released Friday, Jacques and Brooke are seen in the store, where Jacques makes a purchase with Brooke at his side. They walk out together, then part ways. She was seen about 45 minutes later inside a coin laundry, police said.

Her grandmother reported Bennett missing 12 hours later, and on Thursday an Amber Alert -- the first in Vermont history -- was issued for Brooke.

Police have said they believe Brooke may have been headed to meet someone with whom she had been communicating online. On Friday, Vermont State Police director Col. James Baker said the investigation centered on contacts Brooke made on the MySpace.com social networking site.

No suspects have been named in her disappearance.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2008, 07:53:58 AM »

Front Page post:

Michael Jacques, Uncle of Missing Brooke Bennett Arrested for Sexually Assaulting a Minor

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2008/06/30/michael-jacques-uncle-of-missing-brooke-bennett-arrested-for-sexually-assaulting-a-minor/

The case of missing 12 year old Brooke Bennett just got a little for strange, bizarre and complicated. 42 year old Michael Jacques, the uncle of Brooke Bennett, who left her off at a convenience store in Randolph, VT has been arrested in a separate case of sexual assault against a minor. Police are claiming that the sexual assault charge does not involve his niece, Brooke Bennett.

According to the AP, Michael Jacques is listed on Vermont sex offender registry. He was convicted of sexual assault and kidnapping in 1993.

Sexual Offense Conviction(s) Date of Conviction
AGGRAVATED SEXUAL ASSAULT 07-12-1993
KIDNAPPING 07-12-1993

more ...
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2008, 08:01:27 AM »

http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080630/NEWS01/806300390

Uncle of missing Vermont 12-year-old arrested
Police: Sexual assault charges are unrelated to missing girl
June 30, 2008

Times Argus Staff

BETHEL — The mysterious disappearance of a 12-year-old Braintree girl took an unexpected twist Sunday when the Vermont State Police arrested her uncle and charged him with aggravated sexual assault in an unrelated case.

Police said they arrested Michael Jacques, age 42, of Randolph, as a result of the on-going investigation into the disappearance of Brooke Bennett, who is still "considered missing at this time," police said.

A statement from State Police Sgt. Tara Thomas said the arrest of Jacques for aggravated sexual assault "is not a result of Jacques sexually assaulting Brooke Bennett." Thomas said Jacques was placed under arrest for sexual assault he committed against another minor in the Randolph area.

According to police, the details that lead to Jacques' arrest were uncovered by investigators assigned to investigate the disappearance of Bennett, who disappeared Wednesday. Authorities reported no major breaks in the investigation on Sunday but did announce they would hold a press conference in Bethel Monday afternoon to update details in the case.

Jacques, who lives in Randolph Center, is also a convicted sex offender whose profile and photo are listed on the Vermont Sex Offender Registry based on a conviction in 1993 of aggravated sexual assault and kidnapping. However he is listed as "no longer supervised for sexual crime" by the Department of Corrections and is listed as "compliant" under treatment status.

In order to stay focused on locating Brooke Bennett, personnel from the Chittenden Unit for Special Investigations (CUSI) have been called to further investigate the sexual assault for which Jacques was arrested, police said.

Jacques was lodged at the Southern State Correctional Facility in Springfield, Vermont, where he is reportedly being held on $100,000 bail.

Jacques is scheduled to appear in Vermont District Court in Chelsea on Monday at 1 p.m. to answer to the charges of aggravated sexual assault on a minor, a crime that carries a sentence of 10 years-to-life in prison and a fine of $50,000.

Bennett was last seen in Randolph on Wednesday after her uncle dropped her off at a convenience store. She had told family members she planned to meet a friend and visit the friend's relative in a hospital. But police have said they doubt the girl had such a plan. Instead, they believe she may have been to meet someone she had contacted through the MySpace social networking Web site.

Thomas said investigators had planned to do aerial searches on Sunday, but that weather factors, including a low cloud cover, prevented that. She said she expected searching from the air would begin early this week. Police had been searching in the Brookfield area where family members found articles of her clothing.

Police on Friday issued Vermont's first-ever AMBER Alert, which is essentially a missing-person report extensively sent to media and even to cell phone customers who have signed up to receive such messages. Thomas said Sunday authorities had received more than 150 tips in response to that notification.

"Then it's a matter of getting on the phone, tracking down those leads, seeing what information they might provide," she said. She could not say whether any of the tips received so far had led investigators to hope they might soon resolve the case.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2008, 08:27:40 AM »

http://www.dps.state.vt.us/vtsp/press/press_062908a_royalton.html

VERMONT STATE POLICE

STATE OF VERMONT
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
VERMONT STATE POLICE

PRESS CONFERENCE
UPDATE ON MISSING BROOKE BENNETT

For Release: June 29, 2008

Contact: Sgt. Tara Thomas, Vermont State Police – Public Information Officer (802-234-9933)

The Vermont State Police will have a press conference to update the media in reference to the investigation over the weekend into the disappearance of 12 year-old Brooke Bennett of Braintree, VT.  Brooke has been missing since June 25th, 2008 where she was last seen in Randolph, VT.     

SPEAKERS:  Colonel James Baker, Director, Vermont State Police / Major Thomas L’Esperance, Commander, Criminal Division / Captain Ed Ledo, Chief Criminal Investigator /   Captain David Covell, Troop “D” Commander

WHAT:  Investigation update

WHEN: Monday, June 30th, 2008, Afternoon, time to be announced 

WHERE: Whitcomb High School, Pleasant Street - VT Rt. 12, Bethel, VT

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2008, 08:48:27 AM »

http://170.222.137.2:8080/sor/servlet/SOR?id=X000005393

VERMONT SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY
INFORMATION

State of Vermont | Vermont Department of Public Safety | Division of Criminal Justice Services
Registry Detail

Registrant Information

Name: JACQUES,MICHAEL STEPHEN 
 Date of Birth: 03-18-1966 
 City: RANDOLPH CENTER 
 Sex: M 
 Race: W 
 Height: 5 feet 08 inches 
 Weight: 150 lbs 
 Eye Color: BLU 
 Hair Color: BRO

Treatment Status:  COMPLIANT
Wanted: NO

Reason For Internet Posting
    Conviction For Aggravated Sexual Assault

Department Of Corrections 
    Supervising Office & Phone#
        No longer supervised for sexual crime

Conviction Information 
 Sexual Offense Conviction(s)                Date of Conviction
    AGGRAVATED SEXUAL ASSAULT          07-12-1993
    KIDNAPPING                                    07-12-1993

Vermont Sex Offender Registry Home Page
Department of Public Safety Home | State of Vermont Home Page | Email Webmaster
Copyright 2004 The Vermont Department of Public Safety - All rights reserved -
Database as of: Jun 28 2008 at 01:00 am

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2008, 08:58:33 AM »

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=8576141

Police Arrest Missing Girl's Uncle

<snip>

Two days ago, WCAX asked Brooke's father, Jim Bennett, whether he believed a family member was involved with Brooke's disappearance. He said, "I guess there's some question about the uncle, but I don't personally know him that well, so I can't say."

Jacques will be arraigned in Orange County District Court on Monday. He is being held on $100,000 bail. Aggravated sexual assault carries a sentence of ten-years-to-life in prison, and a fine of up to $50,000.

WCAX News

Video
http://tinyurl.com/4n5lgn

I believe in miracles!
sparrow
Scared Monkey

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2008, 09:48:15 AM »

http://170.222.137.2:8080/sor/servlet/SOR?id=X000005393

VERMONT SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY
INFORMATION

State of Vermont | Vermont Department of Public Safety | Division of Criminal Justice Services
Registry Detail

Registrant Information

Name: JACQUES,MICHAEL STEPHEN 
 Date of Birth: 03-18-1966 
 City: RANDOLPH CENTER 
 Sex: M 
 Race: W 
 Height: 5 feet 08 inches 
 Weight: 150 lbs 
 Eye Color: BLU 
 Hair Color: BRO

Treatment Status:  COMPLIANT
Wanted: NO

Reason For Internet Posting
    Conviction For Aggravated Sexual Assault

Department Of Corrections 
    Supervising Office & Phone#
        No longer supervised for sexual crime

Conviction Information 
 Sexual Offense Conviction(s)                Date of Conviction
    AGGRAVATED SEXUAL ASSAULT          07-12-1993
    KIDNAPPING                                    07-12-1993

Vermont Sex Offender Registry Home Page
Department of Public Safety Home | State of Vermont Home Page | Email Webmaster
Copyright 2004 The Vermont Department of Public Safety - All rights reserved -
Database as of: Jun 28 2008 at 01:00 am

sparrow
Scared Monkey

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2008, 09:51:02 AM »

He looks like he's been crying! I have a sick feeling he's harmed this child. Hope I'm wrong.

Sexual predators, as we all know, can never be cured. They need some really strong penalties for these sick SOB's.
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2008, 11:13:23 AM »

This is bad, really bad.....

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2008, 11:46:37 AM »

You know ~ he could have been the *friend* on MySpace that she was thought to be meeting. 

A far-out thought, but a slim possibility, I guess.  Shocked Sad
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2008, 01:44:17 PM »

He looks like he's been crying! I have a sick feeling he's harmed this child. Hope I'm wrong.

Sexual predators, as we all know, can never be cured. They need some really strong penalties for these sick SOB's.

When I first read about this child missing I said why aren't they looking at the uncle.  My suspicions were right.  I think he did it.  It makes me sick.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2008, 01:45:22 PM »

You know ~ he could have been the *friend* on MySpace that she was thought to be meeting. 

A far-out thought, but a slim possibility, I guess.  Shocked Sad

Yes I agree.  And if he knew any information about her myspace then he is the one.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2008, 01:48:51 PM »

Unfortunately the laws need to be applied to sites like Myspace.  That site is a haven for sexual predators.  Something needs to be done.
tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2008, 02:04:44 PM »

Fox News is now saying uncle has become a major focus of the investigation.  News conference to come shortly. 
KC
Scared Monkey

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2008, 02:41:05 PM »

My first post was why the *&^$% are they not talking to/about the uncle.  It hit me right square in the face from the first report.  Why was she staying the night at a sexual predator's house?  OMG this is sooo awful.  And of course he could lure away a girl whose parents are so seemingly screwed up that they can't even pull it together for a united front when their daughter is missing.  And, if you know your kid is misbehaving on myspace...or at least putting themselves out there in a way you don't like, um, why does the kid have access to a computer at all???  And wasn't the clothing found near his house?  This doesn't add up to a very good outcome.
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2008, 03:11:22 PM »

Search for missing girl turns to uncle's property

June 30, 2008
RANDOLPH, Vt.—The search for a missing 12-year-old girl has turned to the property of her uncle who was last seen with her.

Forty-two-year-old Michael Jacques, of Randolph, has been arrested on unrelated sex charges developed as part of the investigation into Brooke Bennett's disappearance.

Police planned to search Jacques' property Monday with dogs and by air.

Jacques, who is married to Bennett's mother's sister, was charged with aggravated sexual assault against a minor -- the victim wasn't Bennett.

The arrest came as the result of information uncovered by investigators assigned to the disappearance. The victim wasn't identified.

He was being held at the Southern State Correctional Facility in Springfield, pending an arraignment in Orange County District Court Monday

http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermont/articles/2008/06/30/search_for_missing_girl_turns_to_uncles_property/

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2008, 03:33:02 PM »

My first post was why the *&^$% are they not talking to/about the uncle.  It hit me right square in the face from the first report.  Why was she staying the night at a sexual predator's house?  OMG this is sooo awful.  And of course he could lure away a girl whose parents are so seemingly screwed up that they can't even pull it together for a united front when their daughter is missing.  And, if you know your kid is misbehaving on myspace...or at least putting themselves out there in a way you don't like, um, why does the kid have access to a computer at all???  And wasn't the clothing found near his house?   This doesn't add up to a very good outcome.

I thought the clothing was found near the uncles house also.  I have to go back and read.  I agree with you that it hit me square in the face also.  I am wondering if the uncle cut a deal and told the cops where he put her body.

EDITED TO ADD:

A family member searching for her Thursday in Brookfield — near her uncle's home, where she spent the night — found items belonging to her near Route 65 that were similar to what she had been wearing, prompting an intensive search by police and dogs in the area of the Floating Bridge, a popular hangout among local teens.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 03:38:27 PM by San » Logged
Sea Searcher
Monkey Junky

January 8th, 1935 On this day, a King was born !

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2008, 03:34:10 PM »

I haven't done this in a while so I hope it's right...

This search is going on now..there's a lot of area to cover over there. The police seem to
have some strong info in this direction. I agree with KC.. why was a young girl allowed to
stay the night at this guys house..haven't heard anything from her mother to this point..

very sad  story so close to home..

the uncle is held on 250,00 bail...waiting more info but I don't think this
ones going to have a happy ending.

http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080630/NEWS/159045543

We will never be able to make a woman want her child. But we as a society could make a safe haven for those children in that situation. Let not one more child die from lack of wanting... We could call it the Caylee House.
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2008, 03:39:02 PM »

sorry I didn't mean to post that above post I wanted to post this one instead.....

+++++++++++++

Search for missing girl turns to uncle's property

June 30, 2008
CHELSEA, Vt.—A probe into the disappearance of a 12-year-old girl zeroed in on her uncle Monday, with police searching his home while he was being arraigned on sex charges in an unrelated case, authorities said.

Michael Jacques, 42, of Randolph, a registered sex offender who was one of the last people to see Brooke Bennett before she vanished, pleaded not guilty to aggravated sexual assault and was being held on $250,000 bail.

The alleged victim was a girl who says Jacques assaulted her over a five-year period, beginning when she was 9 years old and ending a few weeks ago, Orange County State's Attorney Will Porter said. The charge was filed as a result of the investigation into Bennett's disappearance, but Bennett wasn't the victim, police said.

Jacques, who is married to the sister of Bennett's mother, dropped Bennett off at a Cumberland Farms convenience store in Randolph on Wednesday after she told family members she was going to meet a friend and visit a relative of the friend's in the hospital.

Police believe that was a lie, and that Bennett may have bound for a meeting with an unknown individual she had been communicating with through MySpace.com, the social networking site. On Friday, Vermont State Police director James Baker said the MySpace communications were the main focus of the probe.

Surveillance video from the store showed Bennett and Jacques leave the store and go in separate directions.

Bennett, who just finished seventh grade at Randolph Union High School, has not been seen since. She is the subject of Vermont's first-ever Amber Alert, which was issued Friday.

In court Monday, a pallid Jacques -- handcuffed and shackled at the waist -- entered a not guilty plea through public defender L. Brooke Dingledine, who persuaded Judge Theresa DiMauro to grant bail over the objections of Porter.

Jacques has 1993 convictions for kidnapping and aggravated sexual assault and there is "a threat of prejudicial violence to this particular juvenile complainant," said Porter, in arguing for no bail. "Her personal safety was threatened."

He also noted the serious nature of the crime, which could lead to a life prison term, and said Jacques had violated his probation.

"There's no condition or series of conditions that could guarantee the safety of the juvenile complainant in this case," said Porter.

Dingledine said Jacques has a full-time job as an operations manager for a company in West Lebanon, N.H., owns his home and a rental property next door, has strong family ties and a family that depends on his income.

DiMauro said she was considering barring Jacques from leaving the county, but Dingledine -- who called the corroborating evidence on the sex charge "very sparse" -- said he needed to get to work. So the judge ordered a 24-hour curfew -- except for work -- if he makes bail.

Relatives of Bennett watched from the gallery as Jacques made his appearance.

Vermont State Police called in state police units from Connecticut and Massachusetts and planned to use helicopters and dogs to search Jacques' home.

Trooper Mark Magnant said police would not comment on either case pending a 4 p.m. briefing.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermont/articles/2008/06/30/search_for_missing_girl_turns_to_uncles_property/

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2008, 03:39:48 PM »

It said she was dropped off at the store by the uncle and a cousin.  Who is the cousin and how old was the cousin.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 04:19:33 PM by San » Logged
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.