April 24, 2024, 09:52:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Natalee Case Discussion #762 6/30 - 7/6/08  (Read 290535 times)
ldstlou
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #440 on: July 04, 2008, 10:48:55 AM »

I thought this was an interesting thread on the aruba forum TexasMom just posted.....
Read on to page 2

This is from page 1

jenndrez

First Trip to Aruba - One week away!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello All,

I'm leaving for my first trip to Aruba on Tuesday, May 27th and staying one week with my boyfriend. We are staying at the Manchebo Beach Resort.

I've previously traveled to Turks & Caicos and Antigua...I'm excited to see how they all compare....

Here are some general questions I will throw out to the board. I'm sure many of these are repetitious of those already asked in prior threads. But I don't have the time to dig through past postings (plus I ultimately want the most up-to-date responses)

1) General comments from anyone who has stayed at Manchebo?
2) Any good Italian restaurants on the island?
3) Recommend a car rental for a day? (best company to use?)
4) Is it safe to walk around "off resort"?
5) Any beaches you can recommend that are nearly deserted? (i.e. no cruise ship people)
6) Where is the best snorkeling?
7) Is the water calm at Eagle Beach?

Thanks in advance everyone - All comments / stories much welcome!

Jenn 

05-21-2008, 04:44 PM    post #2 (permalink)   

Arubalisa

Quote:
2) Any good Italian restaurants on the island? 

Been a recent topic of discussion, see this thread: Giannis

Quote:
3) Recommend a car rental for a day? (best company to use?) 

http://www.arubaroyal.com/ Aruba Royal will deliver to your resort. You will need a 4 x 4 to see the Natural Pool. All other areas are pretty much accessible by car.

Quote:
4) Is it safe to walk around "off resort"? 

Absolutely positively beyond a shadow of a doubt safe. Take the same precautions you do at home.
Crime "The crime threat in Aruba is generally considered low although travelers should always take normal precautions when in unfamiliar surroundings. There have been incidents of theft from hotel rooms and armed robberies have been known to occur. Valuables left unattended on beaches, in cars and in hotel lobbies are easy targets for theft. Car theft, especially that of rental vehicles for joy riding and stripping, can occur. Vehicle leases or rentals may not be fully covered by local insurance when a vehicle is stolen or damaged. Be sure you are sufficiently insured when renting vehicles and jet skis."
As a disclaimer, in 13 years of travel to Aruba I have never heard of a tourist and an armed robbery.

Quote:
5) Any beaches you can recommend that are nearly deserted? (i.e. no cruise ship people) 

Dos Playa especially the second beach is one of the more remote ones. But you will have to hike to get there. I believe the closest road is also now blocked by construction. When hiking anywhere or going off road, be sure to bring plenty of fresh water. For your own safety, DO NOT SWIM on the Eastern side of the island, the water is rough and treacherous and the signs are posted there for a reason.

Quote:
6) Where is the best snorkeling? 

See http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/Aruba/index.htm for additional info, but imho the best snorkeling:
Catalina Cove
Boca Catalina
Mangel Halto

There are also some excellent snorkeling excursions by boat.

Quote:
7) Is the water calm at Eagle Beach? 

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Just depends on the weather and conditions. The water on Palm Beach except during a storm, will be lake like and flat with the exception of passing power boats.

Looks like today there are some small waves on Eagle Beach. http://www.bucuticam.com/tarabeach.jpg The Bucuti where this Cam is located is next door to the Manchebo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aruba Bound! ~ Hoosier Kitties ~ Our-Cruises ~ Blogging to Aruba
When Will Dh Take Me Back to Aruba? 331 Days, 02 Hours, 10 Minutes, 48 Seconds.

05-21-2008, 04:55 PM    post #3 (permalink)   

Oxblood
Banned

Posts: 19  To answer you're question about walking around off the resort and crime, yes there is some, and if I was you I wouldn't walk around much at night unless your in the downtown area, even then be careful.

I once was sitting with my girlfriend outside of the Black Hog Saloon, waiting for my dad and little brothers to get down playing in the arcade there, and a truck full of Arubians (most likely drunk), pulled up, and threw a full cup of soda at us (You know, like the size of a large from Taco Bell, McDonalds, etc.). Luckily, it missed us. We had done nothing wrong, we were just sitting there. There had to have been more than 10 of them in the bed of that pickup truck. When they pulled up yelling and acting crazy, we both just got that feeling that something bad was going to happen, and sure enough...

To me, the area's where the Arubians live (Not Downtown, or where the hotels are located) looks like a third world country. Goats, chickens, dogs running around. Children walking on the streets with no shoes, very dirty, and in scraggly clothes. It's just scary and quite sad. Not to mention, I really don't think the true natives there are too found of Americans, I mean let's be honest, who he?

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Oxblood; 05-21-2008 at 04:57 PM. 

05-21-2008, 05:12 PM    post #4 (permalink)   

cindyo

Images: 40 Dear oxblood, I think you have "over-done" this picture of aruba. I have yet to see sragly looking kids, I have yet to see any poverty, I have yet to see "wild" arubians. Lets face it, arubans livelyhood depends on tourism, probably every facet of their lives. Do they hate americans, heck no. We have had the pleasure of meeting, knowing, and communicating with fine people on the island. You have painted an unfair picture of the place. If you're so "scared" why the heck do you go, free vacation on the folks??

Cindyo
2009 is our 12th trip.
Renewing our vows April 2008, Divi Phoenix w/ Rev. Gibson at sunset....
Next Aruba trip in 279 Days, 14 Hours, 17 Minutes, 55 Seconds.

05-21-2008, 05:49 PM    post #5 (permalink)   

Oxblood
Banned

Posts: 19  Cindy, please do not come in here and treat me like garbage. I had a bad experience happen to me, and im just sharing everything I have seen while vacationing in Aruba. Over-done? Not the least. I'm trying to prevent the OP from possibly getting hurt. Just because you have had nothing but good times in Aruba doesn't mean everyone else has. There has been many more times when I have almost gotten in fist fights with Arubians, there has been times when weirdo's have offered us rides to somewhere (with no taxi license), and so on. This isn't painting an unfair picture of Aruba, it's just what I have personally noticed.

05-21-2008, 06:09 PM    post #6 (permalink)   

cindyo

Images: 40 Oxblood, your trip is in 283 days? Then you should have put 283 till you get beat up, killed, mugged in aruba. Why the heck do you go? It sounds like your scared to death. You talk about the island like its garbage. It the hat fits, wear it pal.

Cindyo
2009 is our 12th trip.

05-21-2008, 06:15 PM    post #7 (permalink)   

cindyo

"To me, the area's where the Arubians live (Not Downtown, or where the hotels are located) looks like a third world country. Goats, chickens, dogs running around. Children walking on the streets with no shoes, very dirty, and in scraggly clothes. It's just scary and quite sad. Not to mention, I really don't think the true natives there are too found of Americans, I mean let's be honest, who he?"

How to make yourself popular in aruba...

Cindyo
2009 is our 12th trip.

05-21-2008, 06:17 PM    post #8 (permalink)   

rob o

Originally Posted by Oxblood 
There has been many more times when I have almost gotten in fist fights with Arubians, there has been times when weirdo's have offered us rides to somewhere (with no taxi license), and so on. This isn't painting an unfair picture of Aruba, it's just what I have personally noticed.

Many times....fistfights? Times when weirdos offered you rides? Young man, you must be creating bad situations for yourself. If you go around and look for trouble, you will find it. The faster you learn that, the better your chance of surviving adolescence. My guess is that you find yourself in similar trouble in the USA.
Oxblood.... you're just 18 and still have a lot of growing up to do.

....with CindyO near California Lighthouse with High Rise shoreline in background
Next Aruba trip in 279 Days, 14 Hours, 11 Minutes, 48 Seconds. 

05-21-2008, 07:15 PM    post #9 (permalink)   

Oxblood
Banned

Posts: 19  You all can make as many assumptions about me as you want, I honestly don't care, and you don't know me. Like I said, im just trying to help the OP so she doesn't get hurt.

You would have to be extremely naive to think Aruba is heaven on earth, and nothing bad could happen there. Does anyone not remember a girl being kidnapped and killed there? C'mon now, I think im the only one here that's keeping things real...

05-21-2008, 07:29 PM    post #10 (permalink)   

confused1

Posts: 108  I must be going to the other Aruba (the good one)

confused1 

did you notice oxblood got banned

"No justice for Natalee - No tourists for Aruba!"
KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #441 on: July 04, 2008, 10:51:48 AM »

Looks like OxBlood got banned from the aruban forum lol
Here is some info on C&C/Senor Frogs

Carlos and Charlies closed in January. Next door and upstairs (on the left) is now Senor Frogs http://www.senorfrogs.com/ which is owned by the same parent company as C&C. Most of the same people that worked at C&C now work at SF. Another place for music & dancing is Mambo Jambo's at Royal Plaza Mall (next to the bus station). You can see their music schedule on http://www.mambojamboaruba.com/index_flash.html

Karma Is Coming

Justice for Natalee Holloway!

Rest In Peace Sweet Angels

Help Light Lindsey's Way Home
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #442 on: July 04, 2008, 10:55:29 AM »

Nice finds, Karma......I spent a little time reading that forum, but not long enough....

I find it humorous that the negative posts were left in there.   

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
SS
Monkey Junky

« Reply #443 on: July 04, 2008, 11:12:38 AM »

June 26, 2008  Daury aka Davens, Davin(?)

Posted by fierljepper, BFN - From Patrick's book

Some new data from car ride 13-01-2008

Joran says that he did not have intercourse with Natalee.

Joran defends Natalee against the apparent claims that he she had been in a “kick-off clinic” or was on drugs that night. He says he has never seen proof of these rumors.

Joran lies to Patrick that the text message said “Thanks for the lift, see you tomorrow”. Patrick doesn’t fall for this.

Joran says that the friend who helped him wanted to go to the police. Joran didn’t want that. Then the friend called a third person and after that told Joran to go home and that everything would be arranged. Joran says that he though the friend called for a boat.

Joran says that in hindsight he should have just told what happened but didn’t know at that time how big it would become.

New data from car ride 15-01-2008

P Where is that phone booth near the Hyatt… or near the Marriott?

J Every hotel has one

P Oh. In the hotel.

J Each hotel has ONE.

P Yeah, I know. Inside.

J No, outside.

P In the lobby?

J No just outside. Near the swimming pool.

P Ok.

J They are everwhere….each hotel…it’s not normal how many of these phone booths are out there.

P No, no, no. Everywhere, I know, ok.
(…)

P But one thing I don’t understand.. Oke, she lies there and she’s dead, heh…. That friend…, heh…I know this friend is your father.. I know it Joran.

J No, no, no.

P Why not? Why would somebody who picks you up tell you “you have to go to school”. After you said that to me, I knew it.

J No

Joran again strongly denies that his father is involved.

Joran also says that the friend wasn’t there when it all happened (i.e. Natalee collapsed) and also that all events went so terribly fast.

Joran says about “the friend” that he has committed an atrako (= “raid”).

Joran again explains that he would never hurt a girl and would rather kick a man that is doing harm to a girl.

Joran about the arrest and interrogations in December 2007

Joran says that they had something against Satish since he talked very nervously to his girlfriend in Suriname the first two days after the event.  Police even talked to the girlfriend.

Joran also says that (asshole) Deepak had mentioned in chat conversation that he had sex with her. Joran believes he has just been bragging.

Joran explains that they had nothing against him but even came up with a conversation between his brother and his girlfriend at the time who also was named Natalee.

Joran says he has remained silent all the time and looked the interrogators straight in the eyes.

The name Joran mentions is Daury Davens. Dutch mother, Aruban Father. Patrick thinks that Joran knows about the "Atrako" (=robbery) and that's the thing he holds against him. Patrick and Joran make plans to actually meet the guy who apparently is in NL at that time (Jan. '08).

Joran speaks very highly of his father and (pretty convincingly) says that he is extremely honest and would have turned him. Joran also says that he has lied to both his parents and to his lawyers (who he called stupid).

The planned meeting with Daury doesn’t take place since Joran calls Patrick in the morning to explain that Daury had just left the country that day.

Joran provides some interesting details about Daury:
• He was only a year in NL
• Joran knows him since he was 5 years old (!)
• He has “business” that require him to fly between Aruba and NL
• He has people working for him and recently an American woman who works for him has been caught in possession of cocaine. Daury had freaked out, since he was very afraid she would talk.
KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #444 on: July 04, 2008, 12:21:57 PM »

Nice finds, Karma......I spent a little time reading that forum, but not long enough....

I find it humorous that the negative posts were left in there.   
LOL....I used to read there all the time way back when but now when you type Natalee Holloway into the search it finds nothing.
Looks like OxBlood only joined them to post his "true"feelings about aruba.I also have looked at ALL of thier posted pictures of aruba.....one poster posted a missing fisherman poster(from 2006 I think)

Karma Is Coming

KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #445 on: July 04, 2008, 12:23:47 PM »

did you notice oxblood got banned
[/quote]

I did notice that....I think he was a member for about 4 days.

Karma Is Coming

SS
Monkey Junky

« Reply #446 on: July 04, 2008, 12:41:33 PM »

Does anyone know which Chemaly this is?

http://www.altlaw.org/v1/cases/425204

United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. v. Chemaly

Rosen & Rosen, P.A., Lawrence N. Rosen, Miami, Fla., for defendant-appellant.

Stanley Marcus, U.S. Atty., Patricia D. Kenny, Linda Collins Hertz, Gregory W. Kehoe, Asst. U.S. Attys., Miami, Fla., for plaintiff-appellee.

Appeal from the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.

Before GODBOLD, Chief Judge, TJOFLAT and HENDERSON, Circuit Judges.

GODBOLD, Chief Judge:

This case involves the warrantless search at the border of a person departing the United States. The search discovered over $5,000 in currency, and the defendant was charged with currency reporting violations and with making false statements to customs officials. The currency reporting statute, former 31 U.S.C. Secs. 1101, 1105, requires that probable cause and a warrant exist before searches for violations can occur. We must decide whether the border exception to the fourth amendment's warrant requirement, applicable to incoming passengers, applies in this case to the defendant, an outgoing passenger, and relieves the customs service of the warrant requirement of the statute. We hold that the border exception does not relieve the customs service of the statute's warrant requirement, that the defendant did not consent to the search, and that the convictions must be reversed because of the illegal search.

I. Background

DEA agent Marin received a phone call September 30, 1982 from a confidential informant (known to Marin as Number 24), who had previously provided reliable information. Number 24 stated that Chemaly would be taking Eastern Airlines flight 23 to Aruba that day and would be taking $500,000 in a cardboard box capable of holding TV sets or electrical equipment, to be used to purchase cocaine. After a second call from Number 24 to Marin, the DEA passed the information to special agents of the South Florida Task Force assigned to Miami International Airport.

Number 24 was unable to reach Marin for a third call, but the informant then spoke with Agent Turner. Number 24 described the prior conversations with Marin and then told Turner that Chemaly would carry the money in a brown box with yellow ribbon or tape. Turner passed this information to Agent Colon of the task force.

Colon, along with agents of the customs service, arrived at the airport shortly before flight 23 was to leave. The agents ascertained that Chemaly was a passenger on flight 23 to Aruba. The agents saw no one carrying a brown box with yellow tape or ribbon on it but spotted a person with a yellow shopping bag that contained a small brown box. At Colon's request a ticket agent paged Chemaly, who identified himself to the ticket agent. Chemaly was not the individual carrying the yellow bag but was standing near that person. Chemaly and that person were part of a group of five men standing together.

Task Force agents then placed English and Spanish language posters in the waiting area. These posters described currency reporting requirements (one must report the import or export of more than $5,000 in currency) and the civil and criminal penalties for violating the requirements. Announcements containing the same information were made over the public address system. Agent Colon noticed that Chemaly and those with him stopped talking and listened to the announcement.

After passengers entered the jetway, Agent Medellin of the customs service asked each passenger whether he or she was taking more than $5,000 out of the country. Medellin had customs form 4790 (used for reporting currency being taken out of the country) in his hand for distribution. Chemaly did not ask for a form. Medellin asked Chemaly if he was carrying more than $5,000, and Chemaly stated "no."

Further down the jetway Agent Riggs of the customs service and customs patrol officer Krockenburger stopped, questioned, and searched every person who had been standing with Chemaly in the waiting room. One by one each member of the group was questioned and his person and belongings searched, including the man in possession of the yellow shopping bag with the brown box in it. The box contained neither currency nor contraband. Chemaly was the last of the group to be stopped and searched. Thus, the customs agent stopped and searched him after the yellow bag and the brown box had been searched and found to be innocent.

When Chemaly reached the agents, he was also questioned. Chemaly was told to step aside so that the other passengers could continue to board the plane, and he was removed from the flow of traffic. Riggs requested Chemaly's passport and ticket, and Chemaly handed them to the agent.

Riggs asked Chemaly how much cash he was taking out of the United States. Chemaly replied that he had about $4,000. Riggs asked him to produce the money, and Chemaly pulled out $4,900 in $100 bills from his pocket. Riggs, suspicious because of the amount and the bill denominations, asked if he could examine Chemaly's attache case. Chemaly agreed and opened the case. Riggs found an envelope inside the case that because of its shape and size looked as though it might contain Federal Reserve notes. Riggs asked Chemaly if he knew the contents of the envelope. Chemaly stated that it was for his father. Riggs then asked if the envelope could contain currency. Chemaly responded that it could. Riggs opened the envelope and found $10,000 in $100 bills wrapped in gift wrapping.

Riggs had noticed a bulge in Chemaly's pants. He asked Chemaly if he was carrying any additional currency; Chemaly said he was not. Chemaly then consented to a pat-down search that produced an additional $10,049 from his pocket and wallet. Thus the total of currency found in Chemaly's possession was $24,949.

Chemaly was then taken back to the passenger waiting area where Medellin advised him of his rights. Chemaly stated that he did not fill out form 4790 when leaving because he had brought the money to the United States and had not filled out the form upon arrival. On three previous occasions he had filled out form 4790.

Chemaly was charged with making a false statement to a customs official in violation of 18 U.S.C. Sec. 1001 (1976) (Count I) and with failing to file form 4790 in violation of former 31 U.S.C. Sec. 1101 (1976) (recodified at 31 U.S.C.A. Sec. 5316 (1983)) (Count II). Chemaly filed a motion to suppress, which the district court denied. The district court found that only reasonable suspicion was necessary to search at the border a person leaving the country. The court found reasonable suspicion. The court further found Chemaly's consent to the search was voluntary but expressly stated that its consent determination was only a secondary ground for denial of the suppression motion. After denying the motion to suppress, the district court found Chemaly guilty on both counts.

Chemaly contends that reasonable suspicion did not exist for his seizure and that probable cause and a warrant are required for search of outgoing passengers at the border for currency violations. The government counters that no suspicion is required for a search of outgoing passengers at the border or its functional equivalent and that the search and seizure of Chemaly were thereby justified. Alternatively the government contends that, if the border search rationale did not justify the search, Chemaly consented to the stop and search and cannot complain of the results and that probable cause existed for his arrest and search.

always 1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #447 on: July 04, 2008, 12:55:41 PM »

Want to see some more Aruba pictures (2007) go to www.paranoiafactory.com    then type in Aruba - each set has several pictures - Destiny will love the pile of shoes picture on the beach.....

I am A1 because I am saucy!!!
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #448 on: July 04, 2008, 01:11:46 PM »

Well Carpe..Even Vanilla Ice rode in style..But no matter what Koen drives,all the Kalpoes still love him..Here's his pimp mobile,I am sure he won't be braggin about it when visiting Aruba this month though

That TIZ a hawwwg, Broseph!
Maybe we can write a spoof song to that Steppenwolf song
just for Koen...
BORN TO BE >ALMOST WILD.
Where's the horn on that pavement eating monster?
Are tassels optional?

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #449 on: July 04, 2008, 01:14:55 PM »

http://antilliaans.caribiana.nl/aruba/car20080704_hendrik-croes

the OM requested a week prison sentence conditional and a 750 florin fine for Hendrik Croes.
Hendrik is former justice minister, state-attorney and brother of justice minister Rudy Croes.

he drove his car into a police officer and then drove off.
now the OM says that he didn't actually hit the police officer.
but the police officer had to jump away when Hendrik started driving towards him.

(however the police officer was treated for his injuries?)

Hendrik shouldn't have driven off after that the OM argues.

Hendrik Croes says this is a political conspiracy by the AVP (the opposition party).

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #450 on: July 04, 2008, 01:20:40 PM »

Does anyone know which Chemaly this is?

http://www.altlaw.org/v1/cases/425204

United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. v. Chemaly

Rosen & Rosen, P.A., Lawrence N. Rosen, Miami, Fla., for defendant-appellant.

Stanley Marcus, U.S. Atty., Patricia D. Kenny, Linda Collins Hertz, Gregory W. Kehoe, Asst. U.S. Attys., Miami, Fla., for plaintiff-appellee.

Appeal from the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.

Before GODBOLD, Chief Judge, TJOFLAT and HENDERSON, Circuit Judges.

GODBOLD, Chief Judge:

This case involves the warrantless search at the border of a person departing the United States. The search discovered over $5,000 in currency, and the defendant was charged with currency reporting violations and with making false statements to customs officials. The currency reporting statute, former 31 U.S.C. Secs. 1101, 1105, requires that probable cause and a warrant exist before searches for violations can occur. We must decide whether the border exception to the fourth amendment's warrant requirement, applicable to incoming passengers, applies in this case to the defendant, an outgoing passenger, and relieves the customs service of the warrant requirement of the statute. We hold that the border exception does not relieve the customs service of the statute's warrant requirement, that the defendant did not consent to the search, and that the convictions must be reversed because of the illegal search.

I. Background

DEA agent Marin received a phone call September 30, 1982 from a confidential informant (known to Marin as Number 24), who had previously provided reliable information. Number 24 stated that Chemaly would be taking Eastern Airlines flight 23 to Aruba that day and would be taking $500,000 in a cardboard box capable of holding TV sets or electrical equipment, to be used to purchase cocaine. After a second call from Number 24 to Marin, the DEA passed the information to special agents of the South Florida Task Force assigned to Miami International Airport.

Number 24 was unable to reach Marin for a third call, but the informant then spoke with Agent Turner. Number 24 described the prior conversations with Marin and then told Turner that Chemaly would carry the money in a brown box with yellow ribbon or tape. Turner passed this information to Agent Colon of the task force.

Colon, along with agents of the customs service, arrived at the airport shortly before flight 23 was to leave. The agents ascertained that Chemaly was a passenger on flight 23 to Aruba. The agents saw no one carrying a brown box with yellow tape or ribbon on it but spotted a person with a yellow shopping bag that contained a small brown box. At Colon's request a ticket agent paged Chemaly, who identified himself to the ticket agent. Chemaly was not the individual carrying the yellow bag but was standing near that person. Chemaly and that person were part of a group of five men standing together.

Task Force agents then placed English and Spanish language posters in the waiting area. These posters described currency reporting requirements (one must report the import or export of more than $5,000 in currency) and the civil and criminal penalties for violating the requirements. Announcements containing the same information were made over the public address system. Agent Colon noticed that Chemaly and those with him stopped talking and listened to the announcement.

After passengers entered the jetway, Agent Medellin of the customs service asked each passenger whether he or she was taking more than $5,000 out of the country. Medellin had customs form 4790 (used for reporting currency being taken out of the country) in his hand for distribution. Chemaly did not ask for a form. Medellin asked Chemaly if he was carrying more than $5,000, and Chemaly stated "no."

Further down the jetway Agent Riggs of the customs service and customs patrol officer Krockenburger stopped, questioned, and searched every person who had been standing with Chemaly in the waiting room. One by one each member of the group was questioned and his person and belongings searched, including the man in possession of the yellow shopping bag with the brown box in it. The box contained neither currency nor contraband. Chemaly was the last of the group to be stopped and searched. Thus, the customs agent stopped and searched him after the yellow bag and the brown box had been searched and found to be innocent.

When Chemaly reached the agents, he was also questioned. Chemaly was told to step aside so that the other passengers could continue to board the plane, and he was removed from the flow of traffic. Riggs requested Chemaly's passport and ticket, and Chemaly handed them to the agent.

Riggs asked Chemaly how much cash he was taking out of the United States. Chemaly replied that he had about $4,000. Riggs asked him to produce the money, and Chemaly pulled out $4,900 in $100 bills from his pocket. Riggs, suspicious because of the amount and the bill denominations, asked if he could examine Chemaly's attache case. Chemaly agreed and opened the case. Riggs found an envelope inside the case that because of its shape and size looked as though it might contain Federal Reserve notes. Riggs asked Chemaly if he knew the contents of the envelope. Chemaly stated that it was for his father. Riggs then asked if the envelope could contain currency. Chemaly responded that it could. Riggs opened the envelope and found $10,000 in $100 bills wrapped in gift wrapping.

Riggs had noticed a bulge in Chemaly's pants. He asked Chemaly if he was carrying any additional currency; Chemaly said he was not. Chemaly then consented to a pat-down search that produced an additional $10,049 from his pocket and wallet. Thus the total of currency found in Chemaly's possession was $24,949.

Chemaly was then taken back to the passenger waiting area where Medellin advised him of his rights. Chemaly stated that he did not fill out form 4790 when leaving because he had brought the money to the United States and had not filled out the form upon arrival. On three previous occasions he had filled out form 4790.

Chemaly was charged with making a false statement to a customs official in violation of 18 U.S.C. Sec. 1001 (1976) (Count I) and with failing to file form 4790 in violation of former 31 U.S.C. Sec. 1101 (1976) (recodified at 31 U.S.C.A. Sec. 5316 (1983)) (Count II). Chemaly filed a motion to suppress, which the district court denied. The district court found that only reasonable suspicion was necessary to search at the border a person leaving the country. The court found reasonable suspicion. The court further found Chemaly's consent to the search was voluntary but expressly stated that its consent determination was only a secondary ground for denial of the suppression motion. After denying the motion to suppress, the district court found Chemaly guilty on both counts.

Chemaly contends that reasonable suspicion did not exist for his seizure and that probable cause and a warrant are required for search of outgoing passengers at the border for currency violations. The government counters that no suspicion is required for a search of outgoing passengers at the border or its functional equivalent and that the search and seizure of Chemaly were thereby justified. Alternatively the government contends that, if the border search rationale did not justify the search, Chemaly consented to the stop and search and cannot complain of the results and that probable cause existed for his arrest and search.

Looks like Robert Chemaly

http://cases.justia.com/us-court-of-appeals/F2/741/1346/
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #451 on: July 04, 2008, 01:32:22 PM »

http://antilliaans.caribiana.nl/aruba/car20080704_hendrik-croes

the OM requested a week prison sentence conditional and a 750 florin fine for Hendrik Croes.Hendrik is former justice minister, state-attorney and brother of justice minister Rudy Croes.

he drove his car into a police officer and then drove off.
now the OM says that he didn't actually hit the police officer.
but the police officer had to jump away when Hendrik started driving towards him.

(however the police officer was treated for his injuries?)

Hendrik shouldn't have driven off after that the OM argues.

Hendrik Croes says this is a political conspiracy by the AVP (the opposition party).
Thanks Caesu for the information.

The OM is FOS!
IMO
If an American or anyone else not "politically connected" had done what Hendrik Croes did....it would have been charged as attempted murder.....definitely a serious offense!  From what I understand Hendrik Croes did not even spend a night in jail!

TYPICAL ARUBAN JUSTICE!!!!!!

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #452 on: July 04, 2008, 02:08:38 PM »

FLASHBACK....JULY 4, 2005

From Dave's book ARUBA

On July 4, 2005, the unbelievable happened.  The Kalpoe brothers were released.  The judge ruled that there was not enough evidence to hold them for another sixty days.  Joran van der Sloot was to remain behind bars until September 4.

From Beth's book Loving Natalee

IN THE STATES IT'S INDEPENDENCE DAY.  At the Aruba courthouse we are not allowed to go inside the courtroom during the hearing.  The media are present en masse.  Competition among the networks is at an all-time high.  Everyone wants to get the story first.  Producers who at first shared satellite time and interview space are now very territorial.  It's tense.  And so very hot.

Time passes with no information.  We move to our attorney's office to wait it out.  Still no word.  Anola cuts more yarn for the schoolchildren.  "Every minute is like a day." Betsy observes.  We move to a restaurant to pass even more time.  Finally a call.  It's FBI attache Doug Shipley.  He says matter-of-factly.  "The Kalpoes have been released."  It happened an hour ago.  Everyone claims they never saw this coming.  Just a few days ago we heard the conflicting statements from Joran.  We heard Deepak and him implicate Paulus in a conspiracy to hide a crime.  Even police chief van der Straten says, "The suspects continue to change their stories every time they're interrogated.  The three boys are guilty of involvement."  Regardless, today is apparently independence day for two of the three suspects.
snip
In a meeting with prosecutor Janssen the day after the release, Jug's brother, Jar, asks her if she has a working theory.
"Yes," she says.  "It was sex gone wrong."
He asks her who she believes is involved.
The prosecutor says, "Definitely Joran, and at least one of the Kalpoe brothers."
"So they were involved in a crime..." Jar continues.
"Yes," she answers.
"And they are free to move around the country now?"
"Yes," the prosecutor replies.  "They are free to go wherever they want to go."
snip
The last thing we need is for two of the three individuals who might know what happened to Natalee to vaporize.  We compose a statement and call a press conference.  The media room is packed.  I'm jammed behind a small lectern covered with microphones.  It's hot.  And I'm emotional when I ask other nations not to allow the Kalpoe brothers a safe haven. 

"Two suspects were released yesterday who were involved in a violent crime against my daughter.  I am asking mothers and fathers in all nations to hear my plea.  Do not allow the Kalpoe brothers to enter your country until this crime is solved.  Do not allow these criminals to walk among your citizens.  Help me by not allowing these two to get away with this crime, in the name of my beautiful daughter whom I have not seen in thirty-six days and for whom I will continue to search until I find her."

No one is breathing.  Or moving.  Reporters and camera-people are crying.  The media have been here more than a month, and they've seen firsthand what we've experienced.  They are moved by this plea.  But some of the Arubans are not.  Calling their local sons "criminals" offends them.  Having just heard the prosecuting attorney tell us at least one of the Kalpoes could be involved in whatever happened to my daughter, I felt the term seemed appropriate.  But it led to an abrupt change in the tide of support.

johan555
Monkey Junky

hay welkom here !!!

« Reply #453 on: July 04, 2008, 02:50:17 PM »

This message circulating on June 16, 2005,  around in the  Town Hall andgouvenment (amtenaren) in Aruba!

What worries me is that the international pleefiguur (clumsily) that Aruba has beaten also may have an impact on Curacao.

What Aruba now must do is immediately (close)conclude this matter. A press conference to be attended by the prime minister recognises that any effort was made to find Natalee. Unfortunately, the girl missing and there is no evidence that the girl can be. The chance to  find  her now is zero and therefore will also Aruba than to close the case. Everyone is thanked etc etc.

I expect that the island still low criticism over the last round gets, but then the journalists will be broadcast elsewhere, because the teams can not forever remain in Aruba. Moreover, once criticism better than the daily teaching.

Of course remains the country searching internally, but externally, the case was closed. I therefore put an immediate spreekverbod on the responsible officials.

Only in this way can peace return.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this is for google

Flights to Aruba
best prices on Aruba flights
cheap flights to Aruba
the latest offers from all major airlines aruba
cheapest flight to Aruba
Cheap Flight to Aruba
Book cheap flights to Aruba
cheap plane tickets to Aruba
cheap international flights to Aruba
trip to Aruba
cheap  trip to Aruba
Cheap Airfare from/to Aruba
Search for cheap flights to Aruba with
flights,Aruba Search cheap flights aruba
cheap discount airfares to Aruba
Cheap flights from Aruba
Cheap flights to Aruba
goedkoop naar aruba
stuntreizen naar aruba
last minute to aruba
CheapTickets aruba
Flights to Oranjestad
Flights to aruba Oranjestad
best flights deals on flights to Aruba
best flights deals  Aruba
Book cheap flights to Aruba
boek een vlucht naar aruba
vliegreis aruba
ticket to aruba
hotel reservation flight aruba
discount aruba flight
Book Flights To Aruba
find the cheapest flight to aruba
Compare all cheap flights to Aruba 
find cheap flight to Aruba
Aruba from Brisbane , Australia
aruba flight  europe
KLM flight Aruba
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines to Aruba
KLM aruba
Aruba Travel Guide flight aruba ticket
Aruba Travel Guide aruba tipadvisor 

Wanneer domme mensen domme dingen beweren, dan moet je ze niet corrigeren, maar glimlachend gelijk geven.

http://www.nataleeholloway.smfnew.com/index.php
Destiny
Monkey Junky

unwatched kids will be given sugar + a free puppy

« Reply #454 on: July 04, 2008, 02:55:13 PM »

Want to see some more Aruba pictures (2007) go to www.paranoiafactory.com    then type in Aruba - each set has several pictures - Destiny will love the pile of shoes picture on the beach.....

Strange photo
Always...

Login
Gallery John Aruba IMG_7691
Advanced Search
View Slideshow
Aruba
1. Walking... ... 50. IMG_7476 51. IMG_7478 52. IMG_7696 53. IMG_7700 54. IMG_7689 55. IMG_7691 56. IMG_7692

IMG_7691

a shoe ship wreck maybe

Date: 07/14/2007
Size:
Full size: 1600x1200
nextlast
first previous
IMG_7691
Photo Properties
summary details
Make    Canon    Model    Canon PowerShot S410
Aperture Value    f/7.1    Color Space    sRGB