March 28, 2024, 06:51:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama's Glass House  (Read 2882 times)
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 01, 2008, 08:03:03 AM »

A dear friend forwarded this to me yesterday, it is a prime example of the sleight of hand of a poker player, not a truthful candidate. This is a most personal issue to me as well, I work within a male dominated industry of IT consulting, particularly global implementation. I do not appreciate that Obama doesn't value his own female staff equal to the males, but even moreso I resent him attacking McCain for a sin he has not committed.

There is a vast difference between voting for a bill related to legislation supporting litigation timelines for discrimination, and a Senator discriminating against their own employees. I can't know all the fine print of the legislation but at least am not so naive that I don't realize at times, it's that fine print such as with the extension of the litigation deadline that can stall a bill from passing.

No one wants to truly examine in granular detail what Obama has done, even when he hasn't done in his short time in the Senate. The reality of him is in those granular details and I hope at some point we have educated voters that ask these questions and care about the answers.

As a female citizen, head of household, and voter - I don't need your lip service Obama.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=/Politics/archive/200806/POL20080630a.html

Obama's for Equal Pay, Yet Pays Female Staffers Less Than Males
By Fred Lucas
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
June 30, 2008

While Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has vowed to make pay equity for women a top priority if elected president, an analysis of his Senate staff shows that women are outnumbered and out-paid by men.

That is in contrast to Republican presidential candidate John McCain's Senate office, where women, for the most part, out-rank and are paid more than men.

Obama spoke in Albuquerque, N.M. last week about his commitment to the issue and his support of a Senate bill to make it easier to sue an employer for pay discrimination.

"Mr. McCain is an honorable man, we respect his service. But when you look at our records and our plans on issues that matter to working women, the choice could not be clearer," Obama told the audience in New Mexico, a voter-swing state. "It starts with equal pay. Sixty-two percent of working women in America earn half or more than of their family's income. But women still earn 77 cents for every dollar earned by men in 2008. You'd think that Washington would be united it its determination to fight for equal pay."

He continued, saying that he is proud to have supported the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Restoration Act, which would extend the limit on how long an employee can wait before suing an employer for pay discrimination.

The legislation was named after Lilly Ledbetter, who was a supervisor at Goodyear Tire & Rubber's plant in Gadsden, Ala. She sued for pay discrimination before retiring after 19 years because she had made $6,500 less per year than the lowest paid male supervisor.

However, the U.S. Supreme Court threw out her case, saying she waited too long to file a complaint. The court said that under the 1964 Civil Rights Act, an employee must sue within 180 days of a decision regarding pay if alleged discrimination is involved. The bill sought to change the law, but Democrats could not muster the needed 60 votes to override a Republican filibuster.

Obama voted for the equal pay litigation bill in April. McCain was campaigning that day and did not vote. But he has expressed opposition to the legislation, fearing it would open the door to too much litigation.

On average, women working in Obama's Senate office were paid at least $6,000 below the average man working for the Illinois senator. That's according to data calculated from the Report of the Secretary of the Senate, which covered the six-month period ending Sept. 30, 2007. Of the five people in Obama's Senate office who were paid $100,000 or more on an annual basis, only one -- Obama's administrative manager -- was a woman.

The average pay for the 33 men on Obama's staff (who earned more than $23,000, the lowest annual salary paid for non-intern employees) was $59,207. The average pay for the 31 women on Obama's staff who earned more than $23,000 per year was $48,729.91. (The average pay for all 36 male employees on Obama's staff was $55,962; and the average pay for all 31 female employees was $48,729. The report indicated that Obama had only one paid intern during the period, who was a male.)

McCain, an Arizona senator, employed a total of 69 people during the reporting period ending in the fall of 2007, but 23 of them were interns. Of his non-intern employees, 30 were women and 16 were men. After excluding interns, the average pay for the 30 women on McCain's staff was $59,104.51. The 16 non-intern males in McCain's office, by comparison, were paid an average of $56,628.83.

I continue to stand with the girl.
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 11:10:24 AM »

A dear friend forwarded this to me yesterday, it is a prime example of the sleight of hand of a poker player, not a truthful candidate. This is a most personal issue to me as well, I work within a male dominated industry of IT consulting, particularly global implementation. I do not appreciate that Obama doesn't value his own female staff equal to the males, but even moreso I resent him attacking McCain for a sin he has not committed.

<snipped>

HI NONE!!!

Janet

++++++++

Obama Suggests GOP Will Use Race to Scare Voters
by FOXNews.com
Saturday, June 21, 2008

Barack Obama told a group of Florida donors Friday night that Republicans will try to make voters afraid of him, and suggested they would use his race to scare up votes for John McCain.

Apparently girding for a nasty general election fight, the Illinois senator has in recent days predicted that independent GOP groups are waiting in the wings to attack him, and said his presumptive GOP rival is already “fear-mongering” when it comes to foreign policy.

But his comments Friday night in Jacksonville, Fla., seemed to reflect elevated concerns that his campaign to be the first black president would run headlong into political race baiters.

We know what kind of campaign they’re going to run. They’re going to try to make you afraid,” Obama said at the fundraiser. “They’re going to try to make you afraid of me. He’s young and inexperienced and he’s got a funny name. And did I mention he’s black? He’s got a feisty wife.”

More:
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/06/21/obama-suggests-gop-will-use-race-to-scare-voters/

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:16:25 AM »

The old saying about the "Pot and the Kettle" comes to mind.

Janet

+++++++++

Obama's Buddy List
By Guy Benson
Sunday, April 13, 2008

"John McCain is a good man. He's an American hero. We honor his service to the nation. But he's made some bad decisions about the company he keeps." This magnanimous pronouncement from Barack Obama in February sounded noble at the time it was uttered. The country should reject Senator McCain not because of his biography, he argued, but because of his questionable associations—many of whom are wicked right-wingers like President Bush. With his remark, Obama unwittingly constructed a new standard of judgment that can, and should, be used against him mercilessly in the general election. An alarmingly large portion of the company Obama keeps seems to be a ragtag posse of unreformed leftists, race baiters, and blame-America-first polemicists. Although none of these individual associations will singlehandedly derail his candidacy, when considered in the aggregate, they will give many Americans reason to pause before pulling the lever for the unvetted freshman senator.

Read more at ...
http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/GuyBenson/2008/04/13/obamas_buddy_list

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 12:32:37 PM »

Why would anyone be afraid of race?

John McCain has an adopted daughter from India.  During the last presidential race, there were all kinds of rumors/smears circulating about John McCain and his daughter.

Why would John McCain start any rumors?  I imagine he knows what it is like to have a child that is different.  I am sure he (and his family) have felt the pain of that child in the face of the ugly things people do and say. 

Racism is everywhere, it isn't limited to any group.  The "race" card is available to everyone, to use to their advantage.  imho

I imagine that the "race" card will always find new and different applications.  imho

Cindy McCain seems to have found a niche working to help all kinds of people.  That kind of service comes from the heart.  imho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 12:36:05 PM »

The old saying about the "Pot and the Kettle" comes to mind.

Janet

+++++++++

Obama's Buddy List
By Guy Benson
Sunday, April 13, 2008

"John McCain is a good man. He's an American hero. We honor his service to the nation. But he's made some bad decisions about the company he keeps." This magnanimous pronouncement from Barack Obama in February sounded noble at the time it was uttered. The country should reject Senator McCain not because of his biography, he argued, but because of his questionable associations—many of whom are wicked right-wingers like President Bush. With his remark, Obama unwittingly constructed a new standard of judgment that can, and should, be used against him mercilessly in the general election. An alarmingly large portion of the company Obama keeps seems to be a ragtag posse of unreformed leftists, race baiters, and blame-America-first polemicists. Although none of these individual associations will singlehandedly derail his candidacy, when considered in the aggregate, they will give many Americans reason to pause before pulling the lever for the unvetted freshman senator.

Read more at ...
http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/GuyBenson/2008/04/13/obamas_buddy_list

What comes to my mind is the childhood of Barack Obama and his association with Islam.  Sometimes children are not free to choose, adults are.

What comes to mind next, is the church in which Obama was married and chose to raise his children.  What values does the church promote?  Are they all inclusive or does the church have a specific agenda?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 01:09:09 PM »

Hi back Tamikosmom !!

maybe I'm too busy with work to read everything that is currently being stated by either candidate, frankly I'm unsure any of us can as they campaign across the country in many places and venues. That being said, I haven't seen or noted one instance of McCain using race as a reason or advancing it's even an issue.

Actually last week while having a team dinner and meeting a young addition, he made a reference to gender I found offensive and politely called him on it. I see this in the workplace weekly now, gender or age bias, which I view just as seriously as I do racial bias. Discrimination is never limited just to race, but I do resent Obama trying to advance to the US that it remains an larger-than-life issue. I don't see it as anymore relevant or prolific than gender or age bias in this day and age.

What I am growing to resent daily is Obama's deliberate strategy to pepper the voter's minds with this growing litany of half-truth's and assumptions, and in some cases outright lies.

I'm not getting that from McCain's strategy but if he is, then can someone bring forward evidence of this.

I am not a solid fan of McCain's but when weighing both candidates on the important issues to me - experience base, capability to make qualified historical record decisions, fiscal and foreign relations experience base beyond domestic issues.......so far there is no race. I see only a short record on Obama's part, not a glorious record either, a very shallow record of voting and leadership in the Senate to date.

But I will hand him this much, he is rapidly becoming a great spin master and is playing his charisma factor for all it's worth in terms of drawing voters to him. I need more meat and bones to commit my vote than that.

WhiskeyGirl, I agree that there are foundational and early influences in Obama's past that should be examined more closely, and he should also be asked to answer and clarify those influences instead of simply stating such as he did with Trinity recently - we've left that church, end of story.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 01:19:12 PM »

Hi back Tamikosmom !!

<snipped>

But I will hand him this much, he is rapidly becoming a great spin master and is playing his charisma factor for all it's worth in terms of drawing voters to him. I need more meat and bones to commit my vote than that.

<snipped>

Transcript: Rev. Jeremiah Wright speech to National Press Club
April 28, 2008

REV. WRIGHT: … We both know that if Senator Obama did not say what he said, he would never get elected.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-wrighttranscript-04282008,0,3593201.story?page=6

++++++++

Obama: ‘I’m a Pretty Darned Good Politician’
by FOXNews.com
Wednesday, April 16, 2008

… I’m a pretty darn good politician. And I can give a pretty good speech and I can connect and inspire the American people in ways that I think will become apparent.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/04/16/obama-im-a-pretty-darned-good-politician/

++++++++

Obama supports supreme court reversal of gun ban
Friday, June 27, 2008

Barack Obama intensified his campaign to appeal to voters on the life-and-death issues of the American heartland yesterday by stepping away from his past support for gun control …

“He ran to the left to get nominated, and he is running back to the centre in the general election,” said Larry Sabato, a politics expert at the University of Virginia. “You can call it flipflopping, or you can call it readjusting, or you can call it determined to win.”

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jun/27/barackobama.usa

_____

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 02:32:27 PM »

Tamikosmom-

Thank you for understanding and gathering the support for our concerns. We don't need anymore snake oil salesmen as politicians, I think we have a plethora of those. Also, that exact quote from Wright is the one that makes my skin crawl. I am hoping that soon, since Obama and his campaign staff have marveled how well the internet push helped him to achieve the nomination, will soon realize this instant information age also captures every half-truth, assumption, and outright lie.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.