April 24, 2024, 08:00:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harrowing Rescue, Perfect Operation  (Read 1380 times)
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 03, 2008, 11:54:49 AM »

Leading The News      PDF        Print        E-mail
McCain says he knew of Colombia rescue mission
By Klaus Marre
Posted: 07/02/08 06:43 PM [ET]
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said Wednesday that he was given the heads up by Colombian President Alvaro Uribe about a military strike that freed 15 hostages, including three Americans and a former Colombian presidential candidate.

“Last night, President Uribe and the defense minister did brief us that the operation was going to take place today,” said McCain, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee, who was visiting Colombia Wednesday to promote a free trade agreement and to discuss drug trafficking.

“Today, I spoke by phone to President Uribe. He told me some of the details of the dramatic rescue of the people who were held hostage. Three Americans are now free and Ingrid Betancourt is now in good condition,” said McCain. “I’m pleased with the success of this very high-risk operation.”

The hostages were held by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia.

McCain hailed the rescue as “great news.”

The Arizona senator’s rival for the presidency, Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) also applauded the successful mission.

“I join with the families and the American people in celebrating the wonderful news that these three American citizens – Marc Gonsalves, Thomas Howes, and Keith Stansell – have been released from the terrorist organization that held them hostage for so many years, along with former Colombian presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt and eleven other Colombian hostages,” Obama said.

“I strongly support Colombia’s steady strategy of making no concessions to the FARC, and its targeted use of intelligence, military, law enforcement, diplomatic, and political power to achieve important victories against terrorism,” Obama added. “I congratulate President Uribe and the Colombian government, express my gratitude for everyone who aided in this rescue, and will do everything that I can to assure the success of future efforts to free the FARC’s hostages and to defeat this terrorist organization.”

COMMENT:  It's a good thing Obama was not told ahead.  The admirer of Che would not have allowed that to take place.  Did you ever wonder why Obama had posters of Che in his campaign offices? 

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.