March 29, 2024, 03:54:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: PA woman found dead (Kia Johnson), her unborn baby missing (baby safe) suspect convicted  (Read 11787 times)
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 20, 2008, 11:58:18 AM »

PA woman found dead, her unborn baby missing

Sun 20 July 2008
(NECN/ABC) - There are new developments in the case of a woman found dead inside an apartment in Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania.

Autopsy results reveal the woman was tied up with duct tape, her Uterus cut open.

And police believe it's all connected to another woman who showed up at the hospital with a newborn baby, that wasn't hers.

Script: Investigators are slowly piecing together what took place inside this home along Ella street.

An autopsy now shows the body belongs to a woman, who according to the medical examiner, who is having a hard time identifying since the body is moderately decomposed.

He tells us investigators found the victims hands mouth and feet duct taped, and placenta near the scene.

Pieces of an "it's a boy banner" still remain outside this home on Ella street. Its where some say, they gathered for a baby shower for Andrea Curry Demmus. Now accused of faking her pregnancy. Friends and neighbors stood outside her house, Friday as police searched for clues.

They did not want to believe Curry Demas was capable of any wrong doing.

Finally there was word a body was found inside.

According to police reports Curry Demas says she had a miscarriage in June.

Then agreed to purchase an infant from a woman named Tina for 500 dollars.

There was speculation the body belonged to Tina Carter, a pregnant woman who was an acquaintance of the suspect, but police have ruled that out.

http://www.necn.com/Boston/Nation/PA-woman-found-dead-her-unborn-baby-missing/1216553318.html
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:06:24 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 07:55:16 PM »

Woman accused of falsely claiming newborn as her own charged with homicide, kidnapping

PITTSBURGH: A woman suspected of cutting open a pregnant woman's uterus and stealing the baby has been charged with homicide, unlawful restraint and kidnapping, police said Sunday.

Andrea Curry-Demus, 38, of Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania, is charged in the death of Kia Johnson, 18, of McKeesport. Curry-Demus is accused of taking the baby boy to a Pittsburgh hospital and claiming it was her own.

Johnson's body was found Friday in Curry-Demus's apartment. The body was positively identified through dental records, Allegheny County Medical Examiner Karl Williams said Sunday.

Police said in court papers that video surveillance at the Allegheny County Jail from Tuesday afternoon shows Curry-Demus talking with Johnson for several minutes. The women were at the jail visiting different inmates, police said.

The clothing Johnson is seen wearing on the surveillance tape was consistent with the garments found on her body, police said.

Allegheny County Police Superintendent Charles Moffatt said the jail was the last time Johnson was seen alive. Curry-Demus had denied meeting Johnson, police said in court papers.

Curry-Demus showed up at the hospital Thursday with a newborn that still had the umbilical cord attached, police said. Tests later proved that she was not the mother.

Police said Curry-Demus then said she bought the baby for $1,000 from the baby's mother.

The baby was "apparently doing well," Williams said Saturday. The hospital would not release any information about the boy's condition.

In 1990, Curry-Demus, then known as Andrea Curry, was accused of stabbing a woman in an alleged plot to steal the woman's infant. A day after that stabbing, Curry-Demus snatched a 3-week-old baby girl from a hospital. The baby was found unharmed with Curry-Demus at her home the next day.

Curry-Demus pleaded guilty in 1991 to various charges from both incidents and got three to 10 years in prison, according to court records. She was paroled in August 1998.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/07/20/america/NA-US-Body-Found.php

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 07:56:27 PM »

Pennsylvania woman charged with homocide

Last Update: 4:36 pm 

PITTSBURGH (AP) - A suburban Pittsburgh woman accused of cutting open another woman's womb and stealing her baby has been charged with homicide, unlawful restraint and kidnapping.

Andrea Curry-Demus of Wilkinsburg has been in police custody since she showed up at a hospital with a newborn baby she falsely claimed was her own. Police say she later claimed she bought the baby for $1,000 from the baby's mother.

The 38-year-old Curry-Demus is accused of killing 18-year-old Kia Johnson and stealing her baby. Investigators found Johnson's body in Curry-Demus' apartment on Friday.

Curry-Demus was previously charged with child endangerment and dealing in infant children. She was ordered jailed in lieu of $10,000 bail and a psychiatric exam.
http://www.wfrv.com/news/national/story.aspx?content_id=5da23d22-fa62-43dd-90dd-3c21950fa119&rss=852

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 07:59:11 PM »

baby pix

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 12:44:44 PM »

What a sweet baby! I can not believe the woman now accused of murdering the mother and stealing the baby has previously been convicted of "child endangerment and dealing in infant children". Her intention was obviously to sell this baby.

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 08:57:15 PM »

What a sweet baby! I can not believe the woman now accused of murdering the mother and stealing the baby has previously been convicted of "child endangerment and dealing in infant children". Her intention was obviously to sell this baby.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
kissyface
Scared Monkey

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 06:10:33 PM »

Sickening how these individuals are let back into society where they can do these things again.  Prayers to Kia, her family, and that poor baby who will now never know it's mother.

***Love is stronger than death.***

>>> bring Bri justice<<<
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 03:22:06 PM »

W.Pa. woman to trial in baby snatching, murder

Last updated: Friday, August 22, 2008 12:46 PM EDT

PITTSBURGH - A suburban Pittsburgh woman has been ordered to stand trial on criminal homicide, kidnapping and other charges for allegedly cutting an infant from his mother's womb and then killing the woman.

A district judge says there's enough evidence for 39-year-old Andrea Curry-Demus to stand trial in the death of 18-year-old Kia Johnson, of McKeesport. Johnson's body was found in Curry-Demus' Wilkinsburg apartment on July 18.

Authorities say Curry-Demus tried to pass off Johnson's son as her own. Authorities say the two women met several days before while visiting other inmates at the county jail.

Curry-Demus' attorney Angela Carsia says her client has a history of mental problems, but another judge has so far rejected defense arguments that's she's mentally incompetent.
http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2008/08/22/ap-state-pa/d92nds1o0.txt

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 06:51:20 PM »

Victim met suspect at County Jail
Sunday, September 07, 2008
By Jerome L. Sherman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The day Andrea Curry-Demus met Kia Johnson -- the 18-year-old pregnant girl who would later end up dead in her Wilkinsburg apartment -- both women were visiting male inmates at the Allegheny County Jail, according to police.

Yet, under the jail's own regulations, Ms. Curry-Demus should have been prohibited from visiting anyone at the jail because she had been a prisoner there herself just seven months before.

The jail doesn't allow former inmates to meet with current inmates until they've been out for at least a year, Warden Ramon Rustin said.

Correction officers, however, don't run background checks on every visitor, he said, and some visitors lie about how recently they served time.

Ms. Curry-Demus was incarcerated from Nov. 11 to Dec. 3, after being arrested for shoplifting.

County jail visitation logs show that, on July 15, she saw her husband, Raymond Demus, from 11 a.m. to noon, according to a criminal complaint. Ms. Johnson visited her boyfriend from 12:45 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. the same day.

Surveillance cameras caught footage of Ms. Curry-Demus and Ms. Johnson talking for several minutes around 12:18 p.m.

Police found Ms. Johnson's body in Ms. Curry-Demus' apartment four days later.
First published on September 7, 2008 at 12:00 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08251/909791-56.stm

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
estee023
Scared Monkey

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 12:27:38 PM »

I don't understand how if this woman has done this before and she is still being let out
what the heck is going on? why is she permitted to be let out again and again. this woman should be locked up in a mental institute for the rest of her life or if not sit her in the electric chair and get rid of her why would we want this parasite walking our streets.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 05:46:11 PM »

Baby cut from womb turns 1; a grandfather grieves
Jul-13-09 5:04pm

Terrell Kian Johnson is turning 1 on Wednesday. It's also the day his mother died — when she was kidnapped, bound with duct tape and Terrell sliced from her womb.

Now the woman's father, 47-year-old Eric Johnson, is raising Terrell and trying to plan his first birthday party, complete with cake and maybe a clown, but also a day for profound grief.

"It was a birthday and a death. ... It's a wee bit hard to swallow," said Johnson, of McKeesport.

Kia Johnson was 18 years old and 36 weeks pregnant when authorities say 40-year-old Andrea Curry-Demus abducted her.

The two met at the Allegheny County jail, where Johnson was visiting her baby's father and Curry-Demus was visiting another inmate. Prosecutors say Curry-Demus somehow lured the young woman to her suburban Pittsburgh apartment to steal the baby, then tried to pass off Johnson's son as her own, according to authorities.

It wasn't the first time Curry-Demus allegedly tried to take a baby. She's being held in a state mental hospital until a judge decides whether she can become competent to stand trial.

While Johnson waits for justice for his daughter, he tries to focus on his grandson, named after Kia and the baby's father, who is serving a five- to 10-year sentence for robbery. Johnson is raising Kian with his cousin.

"I can't wait till I can take him fishing, do the camping thing. I just wish my daughter was here to share that with us," Johnson said in a recent interview with The Associated Press.

The killing left him so depressed that he quit his job as a customer service representative. He can't sleep. Sometimes, he finds himself sitting outside, waiting for his daughter to return.

"I don't have it no more ... took the whole world out of me," he said, acknowledging that having Terrell around sometimes takes the edge off the pain.

"He's the happiest little baby; he just laughs all the time. There ain't nothing but Jesus flowing through him," Johnson said, fighting back tears. "I just thank God that we have him."

Johnson recalled his daughter as mature, kind and generous. She volunteered with him at the local Salvation Army feeding the homeless and worked as candy striper at the local hospital.

Shortly before her death, she moved from her father's into her own apartment. She wanted to be on her own and raise her child, Johnson said. A week before she was killed, she rededicated herself to Christ, he said.

Johnson is skeptical that Curry-Demus may be mentally ill.

"I don't think she's crazy. I think she's playing crazy," he said.

Christopher Patarini, Curry-Demus' attorney, had planned to visit her at the state hospital on Friday. He did not return messages seeking comment.

Curry-Demus was found to have major depression and a mixed personality disorder following two other criminal cases involving acquiring babies.

In May 1990, several months after Curry-Demus said she had a miscarriage, she stabbed a woman in an apparent plot to steal her newborn, according to court records. The next day, she kidnapped a baby from a hospital.

Court records from those cases described her as obsessed with getting an infant. She was twice briefly committed to a mental hospital while the cases played out in court.

She pleaded guilty in January 1991 to kidnapping, concealing the whereabouts of a child and related offenses, and was sentenced to three to 10 years in state prison. She also pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and was placed on probation for 10 years. She was released in August 1998.

At his daughter's funeral, Johnson and his ex-wife said they forgave Curry-Demus. Now, he's less certain.

"God says to forgive, but wow," he said.

"I feel that why should she get to breathe air and live life? ... I've got to wake up every day and hold my daughter in an urn ... I kiss that urn every day. It's the only thing I got left, that and my grandson," he said.

He keeps Kia's ashes in a blue cloisonne urn patterned with butterflies on a shelf in his sparsely decorated house. A framed picture of Jesus hangs nearby, apparently the only picture hanging in the house.

Some of her ashes are also in a tiny silver angel pendent that he wears.

"They say God does everything for a reason. Maybe God needed another angel," he said. "That's how I look at that, because that's the only place she could have went."

http://www.zimbio.com/Andrea+Curry-Demus/articles/XxWNBeHDYOi/Baby+cut+womb+turns+1+grandfather+grieves

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 10:41:03 PM »

I don't understand how if this woman has done this before and she is still being let out
what the heck is going on? why is she permitted to be let out again and again. this woman should be locked up in a mental institute for the rest of her life or if not sit her in the electric chair and get rid of her why would we want this parasite walking our streets.

so true!!! she should have never been out on the streets!
now a woman is dead because of it and a baby has no mother!

Tina Bee
Scared Monkey

Hassani Campbell *Still Missing*

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 05:46:37 PM »

She should've been locked up the first time. This is a classic example of the justice system failing.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 03:07:49 PM »

Pa. Woman Gets Life For Cutting Baby From Womb
Pittsburgh-area Woman Gets Life Sentence In Prison For Killing Woman, Cutting Baby From Womb
PITTSBURGH (AP) - A woman who lured a pregnant teen to her apartment, drugged her, cut the child from the womb to try to pass it off as her own and killed the teen was sentenced Monday to life in prison plus 20 years.

The penalty for Andrea Curry-Demus, 40, of Wilkinsburg was largely determined in March when Allegheny County Judge Jeffrey Manning found her guilty but mentally ill of second-degree murder. That carries the mandatory life sentence imposed formally on Monday, and Manning tacked on 20 years for kidnapping, saying, "It would be a huge injustice if you were ever released into society."

At her sentencing, Curry-Demus briefly turned around and faced the family of her victim, Kia Johnson, 18, of McKeesport. "I want to apologize to the family," Curry-Demus said, before facing the judge and saying, "I'm sorry."

Johnson's mother, Darlene Lee, said she was satisfied with the life sentence.

"I don't want her to have the death penalty. I want her to suffer, I really do," Lee said. "I want her to suffer and think about what she did to my daughter and see my daughter's face every day that she wakes up."

Curry-Demus met Johnson at the Allegheny County Jail in July 2008 while both were visiting inmates, prosecutors said. Curry-Demus had been telling her family she was pregnant, even putting her name on another woman's ultrasound that she showed people and decorating a nursery.

Curry-Demus eventually befriended Johnson by offering her clothes for her unborn son and a ride home from the jail on July 15, 2008. But Curry-Demus got Johnson to her own Wilkinsburg apartment, drugged her, bound her with duct tape and cut the baby from her.

Curry-Demus wrapped Johnson's body in more tape, plastic wrap and bags and a comforter before stuffing it in a space behind the bed. Johnson died of a combination of blood loss and suffocation, prosecutors said.

Curry-Demus then told her sister that she gave birth, but hospital tests showed she wasn't the mother. Curry-Demus then told police she bought the baby from a crack addict, but police found Johnson's body after Curry-Demus' neighbors reported the stench of decomposition.

Curry-Demus had been sentenced to three to 10 years in prison in a similar plot two decades ago. In May 1990, she stabbed a woman in an apparent plot to steal her newborn and the next day kidnapped another baby from a hospital. She pleaded guilty in January 1991 to kidnapping, aggravated assault, concealing the whereabouts of a child and related offenses.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/05/17/ap/national/main6492246.shtml

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.