April 18, 2024, 05:26:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Democratic National Convention Site News  (Read 2520 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 26, 2008, 05:29:48 PM »

Democratic Convention Gets a Native American Blessing
By Jonathan Weisman
The Democratic National Convention has had its share of problems, what with a compressed schedule between voter selection of the candidate and his actual nomination, splintered fundraising concerns and a late scramble to prepare a new location for Barack Obama's acceptance speech.

But now, at least, the gathering has been blessed on high.

The Democratic National Convention Committee announced today that members of the Ute Mountain Ute and Southern Ute Indian tribes of Colorado performed a Native American blessing outside the Pepsi Center in Denver, where the convention will open Aug. 25. Chants were chanted, songs sung, prayers prayed and sage burned. A feather was used to "smudge" the smoke around the site.

"With all that goes into planning a Convention, there is tremendous value in spiritual grounding in the home stretch. Our Native American brothers and sisters have a deep understanding of spirituality and its place in our lives," said DNCC CEO Leah Daughtry. "The rich Native American traditions of the West are an important part of our country's history and will be an important part of this historic Convention -- set to open right here in just one month's time."

The convention has been so strapped for cash that the Obama campaign has been quietly chipping in to make sure the facilities will be in order, according to organizers. Obama Deputy Campaign Manager Steve Hildebrand said the Democrats have faced a three-fold crunch: the time between Obama's clinching the primaries and the start of the convention, the fact that most conventions raise the majority of their funds in the host city and that Denver is a relatively small host town, and the campaign's decision to shift the nominee's acceptance speech to Invesco Field at Mile High, necessitating preparations for a whole new arena.

But, he said, organizers have had a good couple of weeks.

"The money will be in place before the convention," he said.

And today, Democrats had more important things on their minds.

"In one month, there will be talk of Democrats, Republicans, politics and polls," said Frank LaMere, chairman of the Democratic National Committee's Native American Caucus, in a statement. "However, I offer that the Creator cares most about heart, commitment, and those who will give voice and care for the people, and who will change things in our country."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/07/25/democratic_convention_gets_a_n.html

What do the Republicans have planned?  Anyone?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 05:36:53 PM »

July 24, 2008 7:01 PM

Native American blesssing at Pepsi Center

Leaders from the Ute Mountain Tribe and Southern Ute Tribe will bless the Pepsi Center in a short ceremony Friday morning to mark the Democratic National Convention's start a month from now.

Damon Jones, spokesman for the Democratic National Convention Committee, said it will be a traditional blessing ceremony and will include remarks by DNCC Chief Executive Officer Leah Daughtry, who also happens to be a Pentacostal minister. See profile here.

The blessing will be conducted by Boyd Lopez, spiritual leader of the Ute Mountain Tribe and Byron Red. Sr. of the Southern Ute Indian Tribe. Frank LaMere, chairman of the Native American Caucus of the Democratic National Committee will also be there along with Barbara O'Brien, Colorado's lieutenant governor.

The ceremony begins at 9:45 a.m.

links from article here -
http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/dnc_conventional_wisdom/archives/2008/07/native-american-blesssing-at-p.html

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 05:43:03 PM »

Police Prepare for Thousands of Protesters at Denver Convention

With just one month to go until the Democratic National Convention in Denver, the city and the Secret Service are preparing for activist crowds estimated to be between 20,000 and 50,000.

Authorities are taking every precaution to make sure those looking to disrupt what the Democratic Party expects to be a historic moment don’t go too far.

“I think we have to give the police the ability to act in certain circumstances where the intent … is clear. That is to act before something actually happens,” said Al Lacabe, safety manager in Denver.

Police will not comment on whether they will use stun prods and shields, or guns that fire pepper balls.

But at a recent City Council meeting, Denver police revealed some of the equipment they are acquiring to meet potential threats. On the list is something called “the bearcat,” a tactical vehicle used by SWAT teams.

They’ll also use mountain bikes to get around the convention scene more easily.

Police deny rumors they will be using any high-tech sonic wave weapons that cause people to lose control of their bowels, or that use “slime” or “goo” to immobilize protesters.

Meanwhile, protest groups say the city is overreacting.

“They are doing their best to make people afraid of us, to make people afraid to be anywhere near us,” said Mark Cohen, of the group Recreate ‘68.

Though the group’s name suggests it is interested in recreating the riots outside the 1968 Democratic convention in Chicago, the Recreate ‘68 Web site promises “peaceful, nonviolent protests” against the two-party system and says the name merely refers to the “spirit of mass political participation of the ‘60s.”

The list of groups that have filed for permits spans the political spectrum. Aside from Recreate ‘68, another plans a massive immigrants’ rights march. There will also be a demonstration against abortion.

(snip)

FOX News’ Alicia Acuna contributed to this report.

read more here -
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/07/26/police-prepare-for-thousands-of-protesters-at-denver-convention/

(I think I will just stay home.)

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 05:53:43 PM »

Officials: Denver won’t hide homeless during DNC

Denver is trying to help, not hide, the homeless during the Democratic National Convention, leaders of agencies dealing with homelessness said Friday in an effort to blunt what they called “misinformation” on the Internet and elsewhere about the city’s plans.

“We are always about helping the homeless, not hiding them,” Greta Walker, spokeswoman for the Denver Rescue Mission, told reporters during a conference call.

The officials said they are working to find safe indoor places for the homeless to go during the Aug. 25-28 DNC because some may feel overwhelmed by the event, but insisted those efforts are not aimed at moving street people out of sight of delegates and visiting news crews.

There will be “hustle and bustle in Denver that we’ve probably never seen before,” Walker said. “And so our goal is to make sure that we have an alternative place for the homeless to go. ... If they’re downtown and they want to be there, that’s fabulous. They’re welcome to go anywhere that any other person is welcome to go.”

Many homeless people are “very impacted by mental health issues and is very vulnerable,” and may need help with coping and a place to go, said Jamie Van Leeuwen, project manager of Denver’s Road Home, the city’s multi-year anti-homelessness initiative. “When you have homeless veterans on the street, and you have increases in helicopters [and] police presence,” he said, officials want to “make sure that the homeless individuals ... do have a place to go where they can stabilize and be safe. We’d much rather have them indoors in a safe and stable place than in an emergency room.”

Some homeless people will have to be moved from their accustomed overnight spots near convention venues for security reasons, Van Leeuwen said, but police have assured homeless advocates that “there will be very minimal impact on the homeless in terms of where they’re sleeping.”

The city’s plans for the homeless during the DNC have been a popular subject for bloggers and in website comment columns in recent weeks, with much of the commentary describing those plans as an effort to roll up the homeless.

“Denver homeless to be sent to zoo,” one website headline declares, showing a picture of a homeless man in a cage. “The haves are busy making sure the have-nots don’t interfere with their good time in Denver for the Democratic National Convention,” says a conservative website.
(snip)

read more here -

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2008/07/21/daily45.html

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 06:21:28 PM »

Preston on Politics: PUMAs stalking Obama

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Party Unity My A--!

Not exactly the slogan you want heading into your presidential nominating convention, but one that is being repeated online and in neighborhood bars by a group of disenchanted Democrats, who have dubbed themselves PUMAs.

Why are they angry? It all depends on whom you ask.

Some of the PUMAs accuse Democratic leaders of rigging the primaries to favor Sen. Barack Obama, while others feel that he is not qualified to be the party nominee, let alone competent enough to lead the country.

Kim Mann said she thinks that Obama is too liberal. Webster Tarpley said the senator from Illinois is too conservative. But Mann, a 52-year-old project manager from Manassas, Virginia, and Tarpley, a self-described 62-year-old "controversial author," agree on one thing: Neither wants Obama to be the Democratic nominee.  Watch why some Democrats oppose Obama's nomination »

Even though Sen. Hillary Clinton conceded the Democratic presidential nomination to Obama in early June and urged all of her supporters to vote for him, not all of her backers heeded the call. Hence, the beginning of the PUMA movement.

"What we are really organizing about is to reinitiate Hillary back into the presidential race," Mann said during a recent interview at a Washington bar, where she met with fellow PUMAs for kinship and to strategize about how to make Clinton the Democratic nominee.

Will Bower, the 36-year-old head of the PUMA pack, and his like-minded Democrats are angry because they charge that the Democratic National Committee unfairly imposed sanctions on Michigan and Florida after both states violated party rules by holding primary contests before February 5. Clinton won both primaries -- Obama's name was not even on the Michigan ballot -- and had those states counted at the beginning, well, who knows what would have happened.

"I have never voted for anything but a Democrat, and I feel that there has been an internal coup, and they are putting forward a candidate that does not represent the will of the Democratic Party," Bower said.

"I would say McCain is on track to be a tired old lame duck as soon as he gets into office, and he will face a very hostile Congress," said Tarpley, noting that Democrats are projected to maintain majorities in the House of Representatives and Senate. "I think what you will have is gridlock, and I would say at this point gridlock is about the best you can do."

read more here -
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/23/preston.puma/

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.