March 28, 2024, 03:45:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Post your favorite recipes here  (Read 89865 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: July 26, 2008, 11:22:14 PM »

Decided it's about time we had a separate area for recipes.  Feel free to start a thread and post your favorite recipes or request recipes in this forum.

For those that don't know, to start a new thread click on NEW TOPIC from the previous screen and you will start a new thread.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 11:24:04 PM by klaasend » Logged
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 12:44:00 AM »

Thanks Klaas, I lost my cookbook collection, and believe me, I had a cabinet full. Any good recipes shared will be appreciated.

does anyone have: one made with chicken breasts, soup, swiss cheese and Pepperage Farm stuffing mix? It was easy and yummy.

A good coleslaw?

Soups, I love soups.

A chicken salad made with curry?

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 01:36:01 AM »

Thanks Klaas, I lost my cookbook collection, and believe me, I had a cabinet full. Any good recipes shared will be appreciated.

does anyone have: one made with chicken breasts, soup, swiss cheese and Pepperage Farm stuffing mix? It was easy and yummy.

A good coleslaw?

Soups, I love soups.

A chicken salad made with curry?

Would this be the Chicken Casserole recipe, Shell?

Chicken Casserole

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken soup
¾ cup water
Swiss and/or American cheese slices
Pepperidge Farm stuffing (small blue bag)
½ cup margarine

Line 13x9 pan with chicken. Mix soup and water. Pour over chicken. Cover with cheese. Pour stuffing on top. Melt margarine and pour over stuffing. Bake uncovered for 1 ½ hours at 300 degrees
crazybabyborg
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 01:46:47 AM »

Shell, I make an easy cole slaw that's really good. I just buy the cole slaw in a bag, and a jar of Marzetti's cole slaw dressing. I add peeled and sliced cucumbers, and halved grape tomatoes. You'll have to proportion the slaw to the dressing depending on how much you're making. Sometimes I add extra carrots, depending on how the bag mix looks. Anyway, add salt to taste, and maybe a little sugar. It's a good summer side when you can get fresh tomatoes and cucumbers!

There's a cole slaw with granny smith apples I use more in the winter that's really good with Pork dishes. I'll look for the recipe...........
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 10:27:05 PM »

CBB, yes! That is the chicken recipe I was looking for. I will try the slaw too. Thanks so much!

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
yapperz1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 12:13:28 PM »

Shell, here is a curry dip/dressing recipe I use. It is great with fresh veggies or can use on salad. Bet it would be great in a chicken salad.

2 c. mayonnaise
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
3 tbsp. ketchup
3 tbsp. honey
3 tbsp. grated onion
1 1/4 tsp. lemon juice
7 to 9 drops tabasco (optional)

I STAND WITH THE GIRL, NATALEE HOLLOWAY

ARUBA
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 05:48:42 PM »

~ Coleslaw Recipe ~

1/2 head of cabbage shredded (green or purple)
1/2 pepper shredded (red, yellow, or green)
1/2 onion shredded (purple or sweet)

Gently mix together in a large bowl.

Make a dressing of the following -

1/3 cup vinegar (apple cider, wine, rice, or other)
1/3 cup oil (olive, soybean, corn, or other)
1/3 cup water
dash of salt & pepper (to taste)

Season with one of the following or your favorite combination of fresh herbs

1 tablespoon of celery seed

1 teaspoon of oregano and basil and one clove of garlice minced or crushed

1 tablespoon of sesame oil, 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, and one clove of garlice minced or crushed

This is a flexible recipe.  If you don't like peppers or onions don't add, if you like hot peppers, feel free to substitute a reasonable amount.  If you like more sour, add a little more vinegar and cut back on the water.

I make it most often with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, & celery seed.  Before serving I sprinkle with Sunflower seeds.  I also make it without the salt.  Salt may be added at the table.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
sandy leiva
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 01:36:45 PM »

Hi monks   I had posted tis previously in the recipe files to be shared. Nice on a cold rainy day. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sandys Zuccini Bread

1 cup oil
1cup sugar
2 cups ground zuccini
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1tsp baking powder
2 tblspoons cinamon
handful of chopped walnuts

1 cup pineapple cut in small chunks (optional)

mix ist 5 ingredients

mix dry ingredients after sifting together

combine wet and dry ingredients , add pineapples and mix well
pour into greased and floured breadpans  (makes 2)
bake at 325 for 1 hour  center of tooth pic comes out clean. 

and enjoy with a nice cup of mexican cofee.

Mexican cofee

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetend cocoa
2 tsp cinnamon
1 pot cofee
stir in brown sugar cocoa and cinnamon into the whole pot of cofee and top with whipped cream.  mmmmmm yummmy..
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 06:06:41 AM »

Tortilla Soup

SERVES: 4
It's the tortillas that give it a slight thickness and a special flavor.

ingredients:

6 tablespoons cooking oil
8 6-inch corn tortillas, halved and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
1 onion, chopped
4 large cloves garlic, smashed
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 1/2 quarts canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
3 cups canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree (one 28-ounce can)
2 bay leaves
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup lightly-packed cilantro *(a must)leaves plus 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
1 3/4 pounds boneless, skinless cooked chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1 avocado, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/4 pound cheddar, grated
Lime wedges, for serving *(I don't always use the lime)

directions:

1. In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Add half the tortilla strips and cook, stirring, until pale golden, about 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining tortilla strips.
2. Reduce the heat to moderately low. Add the onion, garlic, and spices; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, cilantro leaves, if using, and one-third of the tortilla strips. Bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes; remove the bay leaves.
3. In a blender, puree the soup in batches (if you put too much in the blender it ends up all over, and you have a big mess) I know, I did it  ; pour it back into the pot. Add the chicken, bring the soup back to a simmer, and simmer until just cooked through, about 1 minute. Stir in the avocado. *(I do not stir avo in. I put the avocado chunks on the top when serving)
4. To serve, put the remaining tortilla strips in bowls, top with the cheese, and pour in the soup. *(I put in the strips in a bowl, pour in soup and top with grated cheese/avo chunks, sprinkle with the chopped cilantro , if using, and serve with the lime wedges.

Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 09:12:19 AM »

Hi, I have several recipes that I would like to submit. Is that okay or do I need to narrow it down to one? They would be in different categories, desserts, appetizers, casseroles. Thanks alot, Ill check back! Monken

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
crazybabyborg
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 12:37:41 AM »

Hi, I have several recipes that I would like to submit. Is that okay or do I need to narrow it down to one? They would be in different categories, desserts, appetizers, casseroles. Thanks alot, Ill check back! Monken

Post away, Monken! All you'd like! 
crazybabyborg
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 12:11:29 AM »

I'm all into EASY and GOOD I recently got this recipe from a co-worker when she brought it to the office. It's delicious and I can't believe how easy it is! It tastes like a butterscotch cake, and develops the nicest "outer baked glaze-like texture" when it bakes. Really moist, too! Starts with a mix, but tastes "made from scratch!"

Mamaw Cook Cake

1 Box Yellow “Moist Deluxe” Duncan Hines Cake Mix
Butterscotch Morsels (use ½ pkg. only)
2 Tblsp. Mayonnaise
½ C water
3 eggs
¼ C Cooking Oil

Mix all ingrediants. Pour into greased Bundt Pan. Bake @ 350* for 30-35 minutes
BeachGirl4
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 10:40:02 AM »

Breaded Pork steak recipe

I have to cook for 5 every night soooooo.  I was tired of putting pork steaks on the grill and tried this recipe.  My family loves it.  (pork steaks are cheap and a little fatty but I love them) This recipe is for those on a diet.  lol

Ingredients
3-4 pork steaks, cut bone out and divide in serving size
2 cups crushed club crackers
1 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons cooking oil
3 tablespoons melted butter or margarine, melted
salt, pepper,garlic powder
Directions
1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2 Put 2 tablespoons cooking oil in baking dish.
3 Tip dish to disperse oil.
4 Mix milk with sour cream.
5 Dip pork steaks in sour cream, covering both sides.
6 Place in crushed club crackers, and cover meat completely.
7 Put in baking dish.
8 Spread melted margarine or butter over meat.
9 Lightly season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
10 Bake 45 minutes.

As I received information and relayed it to the defendant after her arrest, she continued to claim ignorance and at times laughed about the situation.
Yuri Melich
BeachGirl4
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 10:46:53 AM »

OK this recipe is to show your nasty Mother in Law you can out cook her.  HA

Every time I have fixed this...everybody raves about it. Its really tasty and is great for when you have company over.  Caution...some people don't like lamb...my family does.

Ingredients 
4 lamb shanks (14 to 16 ounces each) or leg of lamb  (I use leg of lamb)
3 to 4 large cloves garlic, cut into slivers
salt and coarse ground black pepper
2 sweet onions, sliced
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup dry white wine
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup orzo pasta
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
With paring knife, pierce lamb shanks or leg of lamb and insert garlic slivers into meat (4 to 5 in each shank.)
Sprinkle with generously with salt and pepper.
Place shanks in roasting pan. Cover with onion slices and drizzle with oil.
Roast 25 minutes.
Sprinkle meat with oregano. Pour tomatoes and wine over.
Roast an additional 45 minutes.
Remove lamb from roasting pan and set aside.
Add chicken stock to roasting pan and stir in orze.
Place lamb shanks on top. Return to oven.
Roast until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Remove pan and cover. Let stand 10 minutes.
Arrange on serving platter.
Sprinkle with cheese

As I received information and relayed it to the defendant after her arrest, she continued to claim ignorance and at times laughed about the situation.
Yuri Melich
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 12:19:15 PM »

BANANA NUT BREAD

* 1 cup butter or margarine
    * 2 cups sugar
    * 4 eggs
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 2 teaspoons soda
    * 4 cups flour
    * 6 large bananas, very ripe, mashed
    * 1 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)

Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Sift dry ingredients together; add to creamed mixture. Stir in bananas and chopped pecans (if included).

Pour banana nut bread batter into 2 well-greased loaf pans; bake at 325° for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Makes two loaves.

**NOTE
These make great gifts!  Simply wrap in plastic wrap and add a festive ribbon/bow. 

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 02:57:53 PM »

My favorite dessrt of all time!!

Banana split dessert

3 sticks margarine( room temp)
2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 box(2 c.) powdered sugar
2 eggs (or equivalent egg substitute)
3 bananas(sliced)
1 med. can crushed pineapple(drained)
1 lg. cool whip( or any whipped topping)
1/2 c. chopped maraschino cherries
1/2 c. chopped pecans(optional)

Melt 1 stick margarine & mix with graham cracker crumbs. Spread in bottom of 9x13 pan.
Refrigerate. Beat together( no less than 15 minutes!) 2 sticks of margarine, the powdered sugar and eggs(or egg substitute). Spread on top of crumbs. Place sliced bananas on top of cream layer. Next, the pineapple. Top with cool whip. Sprinkle with the cherries and pecans. Refrigerate at least 3 hours. Serves about 20 (less in my family!)

Important: Beating the marg.,sugar, & egg mixture for 15 mins. is necessary because the texture changes into a whipped delight! So no cheating on the time! 

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 02:59:59 PM »

My favorite dessrt of all time!!

Banana split dessert

3 sticks margarine( room temp)
2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 box(2 c.) powdered sugar
2 eggs (or equivalent egg substitute)
3 bananas(sliced)
1 med. can crushed pineapple(drained)
1 lg. cool whip( or any whipped topping)
1/2 c. chopped maraschino cherries
1/2 c. chopped pecans(optional)

Melt 1 stick margarine & mix with graham cracker crumbs. Spread in bottom of 9x13 pan.
Refrigerate. Beat together( no less than 15 minutes!) 2 sticks of margarine, the powdered sugar and eggs(or egg substitute). Spread on top of crumbs. Place sliced bananas on top of cream layer. Next, the pineapple. Top with cool whip. Sprinkle with the cherries and pecans. Refrigerate at least 3 hours. Serves about 20 (less in my family!)

Important: Beating the marg.,sugar, & egg mixture for 15 mins. is necessary because the texture changes into a whipped delight! So no cheating on the time! 

I also have not tried the egg subsitute, but I know people who have. I prefer the real thing.

Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 03:22:54 PM »

I've made this candy for Christmas for 30 years, & my mother did before me!

Martha Washington Balls

2 boxes powdered sugar
1 can condensed milk
1 stick margarine
2 tsp. vanilla
3 c. chopped pecans
1 box Baker's semi-sweet choc. squares
1 stick paraffin wax (usually found by the choc. in stores)

In large bowl, mix together first 4 ingredients( use your hands) Work in the pecans. Roll mixture into balls & refrigerate. Melt the chocolate squares & paraffin together in double boiler or use a bowl over boiling water. Dip balls into melted chocolate and place on lightly greased pan. Makes 5 lbs. of candy.

This recipe makes alot of candy. You will need more than one pan for the balls. Although this makes 5 lbs, I always end up making it twice. I give alot of it away to friends & family!!

Some people substitute choc. chips for the choc.squares. It DOES NOT TASTE THE SAME!
It's not nearly as good so, no shortcuts. The extra effort is worth it!! 

Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 04:06:20 PM »

Bar-B-Cups

1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion(chopped)
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 c. shredded cheese
1 container (regular sized ) canned biscuits-12 count
salt & pepper

Brown ground beef & onion. Drain fat, season with salt & pepper. Mix in BBQ sauce.Simmer for 5 minutes. Flatten & stretch each biscuit & place one in each muffin pan cup. Fill each biscuit cup with equal amounts of meat mixture & top with cheese. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until biscuits are done. Makes 1 dozen.

Kids Love these!!! 

Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 04:06:59 PM »

I'm not done yet, I'll be back!! 

Phaedrus
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.