March 28, 2024, 07:34:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 7 Best Foods We Never Eat  (Read 5378 times)
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 27, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »

The 7 Best Foods We Never Eat
Date updated: December 19, 2006
Content provided by Revolution Health Group
Stuck in a food rut? You don't have to go far to find some overlooked food choices that are easy to prepare, pack a nutritional wallop and avoid unhealthy fats.

We asked two veteran nutritionists to help us identify seven great foods most of us skip. Our consultants: American Dietetic Association spokeswoman Cindy Moore, R.D., of the Cleveland Clinic Foundation; and Institute of Food Technologists spokeswoman Christina Stark, R.D., of Cornell University.

Avocado
The avocado is high in fat, but most of the fat is the heart-healthy monounsaturated kind. We know the avocado tastes great, but outside of an occasional guacamole dip, few of us reach for this high-fiber food for salads or as a great side dish.

You'll also get protein, a good dose of vitamins A and E, some B vitamins, lots of potassium and a dollop of copper. The rich and creamy avocado has been called the "chocolate" of fruits.

Sweet potato
At Thanksgiving, we dash for sweet potatoes as if they're available just once a year. But you can bake or microwave these tubers anytime for a super dose of vitamin A — five times the daily value (DV) the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends.

Sweet potatoes also offer some vitamin C and a significant helping of important minerals, including calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and iron. And this tasty fat-free combo of nutrients brightens your plate.

Soybeans

The FDA recently added soy to the list of foods that can make health claims because of its value in reducing the risk of heart disease. Soy is high in protein — one cup of beans can fill 40 percent of the DV for protein — and the bean also serves up generous helpings of fiber, calcium, potassium, iron, phosphorus and magnesium. How you eat this versatile food is up to you — cooked and mixed in salads or casseroles, roasted for snacks, or in tofu, tempeh or soy milk. Soy has some fat, but very little saturated fat.

The use of soy products to treat symptoms of menopause is controversial. While it may improve symptoms for some women, the phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) that may help relieve hot flashes may also increase the risk of breast cancer.

Dried figs
Tasty as Fig Newton cookies are, figs stand on their own. They provide high-fiber, topped with some B vitamins and iron, finished off with abundant potassium and calcium. Five figs give you as much calcium as half a glass of milk.

What to do with a fig? Pop a few in your mouth, sneak them into casseroles or replace raisins with them in a salad.

Lentils
We never think of this legume unless it's in our soup. But put lentils in rice or casseroles and you've added one of the highest-protein and highest-fiber foods around.

A cup of lentils supplies about 40 percent of the DV for protein and about 65 percent of the DV for fiber. The lentil is high in potassium, calcium and iron, and a good source of B vitamins, phosphorus and copper. The fat content? Zero.

Kale( I HATE)
Dark, leafy green vegetables are an acquired taste. Maybe now's the time to see if your taste buds have matured to accommodate this no-fat, low-calorie, super-high-vitamin-A food.

One cup of kale (boiled, but not overcooked) gives you double the DV for vitamin A. You'll also get some vitamin C, a small amount of B vitamins and a generous amount of calcium. Look for kale's healthy but ignored cousins: Swiss chard, mustard greens and collards.

Barley
Here's another soup secret we tend to forget despite its claim to protein, fiber, potassium, phosphorus and iron. One cup supplies 25 percent of the DV for fiber.

Eat pearled barley as a side dish instead of rice, use it for a hearty casserole, or boil it to create a unique base for a stir-fry meal. And look at the high nutritional content of some other forgotten but powerful grains, like quinoa and amaranth.

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/?s_kwcid=ContentNetwork|855605454

I thought if we can post good recipes to these foods we might eat them
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 11:00:46 AM by Blonde » Logged

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 10:58:34 AM »

Lentil Soup with Beef Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes I use a better cut
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 large celery stalks, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
6 (14-ounce) cans beef broth
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
2 cups (about 11 ounces) lentils, rinsed
1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves

Heat the oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper. Add half of the beef and cook until brown, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining beef. Add the celery, carrots, onion, garlic, rosemary, and oregano to the pot. Saute until the onions are translucent, about 8 minutes. Return the beef and any accumulated juices from the bowl to the pot. Add the broth and tomatoes with their juice. Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the meat is just tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Add the lentils. Cover and continue simmering until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Season the soup, to taste, with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
Top with  parsley leaves and crisp bacon bits.
This is ssoo good on a cold day

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 12:33:39 PM »

Stock your pantry with a powerhouse of nutrition with the 10 best foods to eat. Whether you're looking for a quick snack on the run or a side dish for dinner, these foods add flavor, diversity and a wide range of vitamins and other nutrients that promote healthy living.

Why is it the best

Sweet Potatoes

Nutrition Action.com lists sweet potatoes as "one of the best vegetables you can eat." Nutritionally, they are packed with fiber, carotenoids, vitamin C, and potassium.

Spinach

Green, leafy spinach is a great source of plant-based omega-3s, folate and lutein. They make the 10 best foods to eat list at Best Life Magazine: Health and Fitness because these nutrients help reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, and osteoporosis. Lutein also promotes eye health as it fights age-related macular degeneration.

Beets

Image:Beets.JPG

MSN Health and Fitness lists beets in the number one spot of "The 10 Best Foods You're Not Eating." Beets are a sweet root that provides folate and betaine to your diet. These nutrients combined help to lower homocysteine in the blood. Homocysteine is known to damage arteries and raise heart disease risk factors. If you buy fresh beets, don't throw out the leaves and stems. They are loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants and make a great addition to your salad.

Grape Tomatoes

Nutrition Action.com lists grape tomatoes as number two on their list of 10 best foods to eat. These bite-size tomatoes are sweeter and firmer than cherry tomatoes and make a great snack or salad topping. These snack-size tomatoes provide a tasty source of vitamins C and A.

Broccoli

Broccoli makes a healthy raw snack or delicious steamed dish. It has loads of vitamin C, carotenoids, and folic acid. Nutrition Action suggests adding red pepper flakes for a zesty seasoning, or spritzing with lemon juice to keep it the healthiest it can be.

Citrus Fruit

It has long been known that citrus fruit is a good source of vitamin C and folic acid. It also provides fiber to your diet. The sweet, tangy flavor makes them a great choice for healthy snacks or desserts.

Yogurt

Best Life Magazine: Health and Fitness recommends yogurt as one of the 10 best foods to eat. It contains beneficial bacteria that has been shown to boost the immune system and protect against cancer. To receive this benefit the yogurt must contain live, active cultures.

Carrots

Image:Carrots.JPG

Carrots are jam-packed with carotenoids which have been shown to help reduce a broad range of cancers. They also help to alleviate inflammatory conditions like asthma and rheumatoid arthritis. Carrots can be juiced to provide a power-packed health drink.

Blueberries

Best Life Magazine: Health and Fitness adds blueberries to the list of best foods to eat. These tiny berries offer a strong supply of antioxidants to help thwart cancer and diabetes. Not only that, but this brain berry helps fight age-related memory changes.

Walnuts

Walnuts wraps up our list of best foods to eat. They provide a healthy source of omega-3s, anti-inflammatory polyphenols and have as much protein as chicken. They make a perfect snack after working out.

JNGA
Scared Monkey

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 01:45:05 AM »

I love avacados with salads/tuna salad.  I have read that avacado can help lower cholesterol when used in moderation, but don't eat too much of it because it's high in calories.  What most people need to do when trying to eat healthier is know that a portion of meat should fit into the palm of your hand and should divide their plate into four sections.  One section should be meat, one section should be pasta/bread/rice/potatos/ect, and the last two sections should contain Vegetables!  And Eat fresh fruit for desert.  Be sure to drink plenty of water.  Also to be healthy you have to exersice and with all the eqipment I have tried I'd say the treadmill is the best, it is a lot of hard work, you sweat tons, and it can help you lose weight and can make you a lot healthier.

I have always loved to cook, it was my way of making people happy, But last December a friend of my families died of a heart Attack and I lost my passion for cooking.  How could I love something that made people so unhealthy.  I got to a point where I just didn't want to cook, but I have started using more vegetables when I cook and I'm getting to where I like it again, but I only cook healthy stuff with tons of vegetables.  Thanks for your post Blonde, I will deffinantly try to start using more of those ingredients in my cooking.  Oh yeah, most people/kids don't like broccoili, I personally love it.  I have read a lot that it is a major fighter of cancer.   
Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 10:33:08 AM »

wow blonde, thanks for this info.  Can you please keep up the vegetarian recipes, cos the doctor took me off a med that I had been on for ten years, and I wanted off it, cos it caused me weight gain.  Anyway, since being off it, I vomit after each meal almost, its cos my body is getting used to not being on the medication, but I can no longer even swallow meat now.  but, I dont need meat, and I really need to put all my food thru a blender even, but Im happy to do that, if it means I will be healthier. I love soups, and I love salads.  I just gotta make them well cut up so i can swallow them cos my oesophegus is so narrowed. 

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.