April 17, 2024, 11:19:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are You A Parent or Grandparent??  (Read 6422 times)
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« on: September 05, 2006, 09:10:24 AM »

Here is something special..

http://www.raisingsmallsouls.com/wp-content/themes/179/aschool.html

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 09:32:43 AM »

Thank you G.O., that is a remarkable piece, so glad you shared it.

I have one child who was diagnosed with an auditory processing disorder at age 5, gratefully her teachers supported her, and she's now a dean's list student with unlimited potential creatively.

I have another child who was diagnosed with ADD, his teachers were not patient and wanted only medication, his path was harder when we chose to use learning strategies instead of medication. Now he plays football for an SEC team, so I am proud that he found his alternate path.

Every child wants to shine, every child wants to be successful.

You might enjoy reading the Gallup Organization's book Now Discover Yourself by Clifton, it appears corporate america also needs help in learning the very lessons detailed in your link.

Will we ever learn?

I continue to stand with the girl.
Cat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 09:55:18 AM »

I have 2 children-1-who is out the nest and 1- who is just starting high school.Different as night and day.Cat

Live with hope,looking for justice
Kimmy53
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 11:10:43 AM »

Great Owl:  

Thank you so much for the link.  I am the parent of 2 boys, 14 & 8.  They are as different as night and day.  Each with their own special uniqueness that I could have never dreamed of.

It is refreshing to see that people are actually beginning to wake up to the idea that all do not learn in the same way.  School for too long has been to "make" these special kids conform instead of nurturing their individual tallents.  Sadly there are those that are left behind - because of their differences.  Or those that do "give up" because they learn differently.  Instead of stifling these kids we need to nurture them.. they are all so very special and have so much to offer.

~Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up everytime we fail~
Cat
Monkey Junky

owl
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 11:29:44 AM »

Thank you.The video is great and very true.My oldest was judged to need special Ed.in kidegarten,instead he was a fellow at Emory and now a professor at Nebraska.My youngest has musical talents,but not in Math and science.The previuos music teacher felt he was to disruptive,so we changed schools.Now he sings in the choir,leads the marching band and acts.cat

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 12:07:17 PM »

Thank you, Great Owl.  My sons are now adults, but I, too, recognize the differences in the two.  The older loved nature, fishing & sports, but cried when young because his closest friends did minimal studying and still got A's, while he studied and got C's.  He's had struggles with self-esteem.  He failed his 2nd year at a community college.  He's talked about going back, but never has.  Poor test taker, reading comprehension, but had excellent auditory learning ability.  His aptitude tests were at the borderline....and landed him in remedial classes off and on 4th through 12th grades, as well as tutoring we sought for him.   Child study team psychologist in middle school, said' he's never had a grade under a C, let him take shop.....Nice, huh?   His younger brother thought fishing was boring, but also had a love for sports.  He was a quick study, observant and academically strong.  Still referred to as the 'golden boy', by older brother, much to my dismay.

Reading the link, I felt the pangs of a mom who so much wanted both to excel in all they hoped for.  I just know that the older has some scars that my support and encouragement didn't heal.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 12:49:47 PM »

I know the feelings of all, being a parent of four and grandparent of eleven.  I also have two step children as of my marriage two years ago.  My strongest feelings come from my own childhood.   Unfortunately, one of my children had many of my same problems.  He overcame them the same as I did, but not without many frustrating times.

I hated school for all the reasons most of you state.  I graduated in the bottom 10% of my high school class.  If not for athletics I would have never gone to college.  I was told to go work in the iron foundry by my teachers.  My standardized scores were near the bottom.  

I struggled.  Long story short is that I grew and progessed, as an undergraduate. Only then was I ready to blossom. My graduate and post grad grade point was near 4.0.  However, I never feel that there is anything better than the education I recieved on the streets and out of the classroom.   I know I am scarred for life by my growing up.  I succeeded in spite of educators.  Lest you feel education is the sole culprit here, consider please that I have chosen to spend my career as an educator.  We live in a society which is intolerant of differences.  This is sad.

I now am retired and spend time helping where I can to help those who just do not fit the mold.  I am convinced that I would have never had a chance to suceed in today's society.  I would never wish to start over again.  I am very content even though I am on the down side of my life.

Cat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 11:27:30 PM »

Great owl,you are this food list forever.I am scarred by growing with a bunch of mean drunks, and other things.Scouts gave an outlet.I got an Education,and I never took a typing course.I am still a lousy speller,among other faults.Hey but what the heck,I am still trying to make lemonade........Cat(Tiger)

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 12:44:24 PM »

G.O.-

This appeared on the web today, I thought you'd find the support for your beliefs affirming. Reading this made me remember sweating bullets with son's challenges with the advent of "whole language" as he started first grade. Where is the whole language concept now? Just one more 'fad' in the history of educational theory.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14638573/site/newsweek/?GT1=8506

I continue to stand with the girl.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 04:41:49 PM »

Quote from: "nonesuche"
G.O.-

This appeared on the web today, I thought you'd find the support for your beliefs affirming. Reading this made me remember sweating bullets with son's challenges with the advent of "whole language" as he started first grade. Where is the whole language concept now? Just one more 'fad' in the history of educational theory.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14638573/site/newsweek/?GT1=8506

yes, a child  today is under tremendous pressure. as I  said earlier.  I am glad I am not a student in school today.

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 08:58:20 PM »

Owl,
Thanks for that... I think even those of us w/o kids but have very close ties to our nieces and nephews and the kid's of our close friends can benefit from this.

Yes, I agree with you all about school...there were some amazing mentors and teachers along my way... and yet there were also the teachers that hated any difference of thought... one example ... I got into trouble in first grade and wasn't allowed recess for 2 weeks because before the Christmas open house we were told to draw a picture of ourselves singing... I drew my tounge in my mouth instead of just an open mouth... the teacher thought I was being "impertinent" and not following orders... well, to me when someone sings their tounge moved... I was just drawing what I saw... it's that kind of thing that discourages kids every day... I definately had bee parents.... and even though I hated school - I loved and excelled at college...

anyway, I just think that anyone that deals with kids in any capacity needs to see this...Thanks OWL...

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.