Dead Musicians

<< < (8/8)

Nut44x4:
Hendrix's manager murdered him, says former aide

London, May 31 : A former roadie has claimed in a new book that rock legend Jimi Hendrix was murdered by his manager.

According to James 'Tappy' Wright, Hendrix's manager, Michael Jeffrey, who stood to collect millions of dollars on the star's life insurance policy, drunkenly confessed to killing him by stuffing pills into his mouth and washing them down with several bottles of red wine.

Wright says Jeffrey did so because he feared Hendrix intended to dump him for a new manager, according to a report in the Mail on Sunday.

In his book, Rock Roadie, Wright says Jeffrey told him in 1971 that Hendrix had been 'worth more to him dead than alive' as he had taken out a life insurance policy on the musician worth 2million dollars, with himself as the beneficiary. Two years later, Jeffrey was killed in a plane crash, reports The Independent.

Hendrix passed away in September 1970. He was 27.

An ambulance crew found his body in the Samarkand Hotel, west London, in the room of a woman called Monika Dannemann, whom he had known for only a few days.

Describing the night of Jeffrey's confession, Wright wrote: 'I can still hear that conversation, see the man I'd known for so much of my life, his face pale, hand clutching at his glass in sudden rage.'

Wright claims Jeffrey told him: 'I had to do it, Tappy. You understand, don't you? I had to do it. You know damn well what I'm talking about.

'I was in London the night of Jimi's death and together with some old friends... we went round to Monika's hotel room, got a handful of pills and stuffed them into his mouth... then poured a few bottles of red wine deep into his windpipe.

'I had to do it. Jimi was worth much more to me dead than alive. That son of a bitch was going to leave me. If I lost him, I'd lose everything.'

Surgeon John Bannister, who dealt with Hendrix at hospital, said he was convinced the star had drowned in red wine, despite having very little alcohol in his bloodstream.
http://www.newkerala.com/nkfullnews-1-47508.html

MuffyBee:
Stevie Ray may be here under "Dead Musicians", but for many of us, the blues legend and his music lives on.  It's hard to believe it's been twenty-five years.  Lots of good memories of listening to Stevie Ray in clubs around Austin and out on the lawn at Auditorium Shores.  I remember hearing the sad news of the helicopter going down and  part of Eric Clapton's entourage were in it and for a short time, I thought we had lost "Slow Hand".

Thank you for the good times and good memories, all of the music you sang and played that we still enjoy today. 

::MonkeyHeart::

http://music.blog.austin360.com/2015/08/27/25-years-later-remembering-stevie-ray-vaughan/
 25 years later: Remembering Stevie Ray Vaughan
August 27, 2015

Twenty-five years ago, on the morning of Aug. 27, 1990, Austin woke up to the news that one of the brightest stars of its music community, guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan, had died in a helicopter crash overnight after a show in Wisconsin.

Vaughan’s legacy grew in the years that followed, through such commemorations as the iconic statue on Lady Bird Lake, a definitive biography by Austin writer Joe Nick Patoski, and this year’s induction of Vaughan and his band Double Trouble into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
 ::snipping3::

Stevie Ray Vaughan. 1985 photo by Jay Godwin / American-Statesman

Stevie Ray Vaughan, left, and his brother, Jimmie, recording a live album at the Austin Opera House. 1986 photo by Zach Ryall / American-Statesman

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page