March 28, 2024, 12:19:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dark horses emerge in Obama-McCain VP stakes  (Read 1377 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: August 03, 2008, 07:51:22 PM »

I have been awaiting the VP choices.  It seems like it is taking forever.   

Dark horses emerge in Obama-McCain VP stakes

WASHINGTON (AFP) — Speculation over potential running mates to Barack Obama and John McCain heated up Sunday as two little-known contenders emerged in the increasingly bad-tempered White House stakes.

The two campaigns kept up a war of words over a combustible new mix of negative attacks by the Republican McCain on his Democratic rival, who are both finalizing their selections of vice presidential nominee.

In the run-up to the party convention season starting in late August, House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi urged Obama to add Texas congressman Chet Edwards, 56, to his list of potential running mates.

The top Democrat touted Edwards, whose district includes President George W. Bush's hometown of Crawford, as an "extraordinarily talented person" and a champion for military veterans who deserves a shot at the vice presidency.

"I just wanted people to be aware of the extraordinary credentials of Chet Edwards. And I hope he will be the nominee," she said on ABC News.

(snip)

McCain meanwhile was reported to be running the rule over Virginia congressman Eric Cantor as a potential VP pick.

Cantor, who at 45 would bring relative youth to the 71-year-old McCain's ticket, has provided personal records to the Republican's vetting team, Politico.com quoted a campaign adviser as saying.

"With a Southern lilt and a talent for raw politics, Cantor is one of the nation's most prominent Jewish Republicans; he has impressed the McCain team by becoming a prolific fundraiser for the campaign," the website reported.

With Virginia Governor Timothy Kaine also in the frame for Obama's running mate, both campaigns would then have VP nominees from a pivotal state that is up for grabs in November's election.

But pundits' tongues were also set wagging by Obama's schedule for the coming week: he is due to spend much of Wednesday in Indiana, the state of another VP front-runner, Senator Evan Bayh.

read the whole story here -
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5ijTahOIzyfhV4w2D8BQtzv3NPNNA

I'm wondering if they will have a hard time replacing the Supreme Court retirees.  jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.