April 23, 2024, 10:51:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mind of the South - Newsweek recent article  (Read 5252 times)
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: August 04, 2008, 08:30:38 AM »

Very thought-provoking article.

Craig's List is full of ads for 'paying' jobs for Obama supporters to campaign for him locally, I saw those last week and suggested my children go get hired and then complete an independent report on what they learn and what they hear and what they see. Both are fairly good writers and we know enough folks in the newspaper biz to get an expose I suspect.....one of the two has responded to the ads.

One line in this piece resonates with me and I do pray that it's true, for it it is true, I don't think there is a ghost of a chance Obama will be elected. I'll be interested to see if some of our foreign posters can locate that line by themselves?

Oh and let me know if when you open the link, if you too get the same blazing flash ad for Obama's website so that you can contribute that I did 

http://www.newsweek.com/id/150478

I continue to stand with the girl.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 10:05:32 PM »

None ~ I opened the link four different times and didn't get the flash ad for Obama.  I just had a vision of monkeys sitting around opening the link over and over to see if the flash ad pops up   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
crazybabyborg
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 11:08:37 PM »

That's a great read, None! Thank you for bringing us the link! 
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 12:35:38 AM »

Nonesuche I went to your link but didn't get any ads at all    I think the Obama people must have your number, they are taunting you, LOLOL 
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 11:09:11 AM »

Muffy and Klaas, guess what? I just opened the link and sure enough, there was the Obama ad  I have attached the screenshot for you below.

Yes, Obama likes me, very much. I signed up at his website early on and I get hundreds of emails weekly from his buddy David Plouffe and even some from Michelle !! 

I should report them for spamming but but no foolish me, I'm saving all those emails. Maybe I'll send them to caesu's mailbox ? 

I'm glad we can disagree on political candidates and laugh about it too ! 

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 11:29:04 AM »

i don't get the ad when i click on the link.

no need to send me those e-mails, i am already getting them.
only hardly a few a week, not hundreds.

nonesuche, you can unsubscribe here: http://my.barackobama.com/page/unsubscribe/

as for the article, Obama doesn't really need the southern states to win.

crazybabyborg
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 11:59:04 AM »

Muffy and Klaas, guess what? I just opened the link and sure enough, there was the Obama ad  I have attached the screenshot for you below.

Yes, Obama likes me, very much. I signed up at his website early on and I get hundreds of emails weekly from his buddy David Plouffe and even some from Michelle !! 

I should report them for spamming but but no foolish me, I'm saving all those emails. Maybe I'll send them to caesu's mailbox ? 

I'm glad we can disagree on political candidates and laugh about it too ! 

I'm glad we can laugh about our different views too, none! Count me in with you and caseau; I also signed up at all the candidates websites early on. I really wanted to approach this election with an open mind and wanted to understand where everyone was on each issue. Now I am drowning in e-mails!! 

The three of us have that in common! 

BTW: I get the ad too!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 12:08:30 PM »

i don't get the ad when i click on the link.

no need to send me those e-mails, i am already getting them.
only hardly a few a week, not hundreds.

nonesuche, you can unsubscribe here: http://my.barackobama.com/page/unsubscribe/

as for the article, Obama doesn't really need the southern states to win.

AGREED!! 

The numbers may very well prove to be that Obama can win without the help of the South. It would be the first time in recent history that a Democrat won a Presidential election without it, but this election is different in many ways than any other. Pollsters are speculating that their polls may be "more off" this year than ever before. We'll just have to see in November, and then we'll watch the experts explain how they really predicted the outcome all along! 
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 01:05:48 PM »

and that can go either way.

but i suspect Obama's lead is actually much larger than shown now in the polls.
i think there are so much who never voted before and now going to vote for Obama.
the pollster haven't been able to access this group enough.

then there is also the Bradley effect.
but i doubt that this will have a decisive effect.

Obama is even close in some polls to McCain in Arizona.
wouldn't it be hilarious if McCain can't even carry his own state.

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 01:32:19 PM »

I am on both mailing lists, McCain & Obama.

The Obama group seems to send out four times as many emails and requestions for donations/action as the McCain group.

Very interesting.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
crazybabyborg
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 02:00:29 PM »

and that can go either way.

but i suspect Obama's lead is actually much larger than shown now in the polls.
i think there are so much who never voted before and now going to vote for Obama.
the pollster haven't been able to access this group enough.

then there is also the Bradley effect.
but i doubt that this will have a decisive effect.

Obama is even close in some polls to McCain in Arizona.
wouldn't it be hilarious if McCain can't even carry his own state.

Humor is in the eye of the beholder, but even though laughter wouldn't be my response, I hope you get a real chuckle if that should happen.

I do think it's entirely possible that Obama will win and win big. The pollsters are a little concerned about their data because usually they can figure in "most likely" voters with more weight, but Obama seems to be inspiring new voters and they aren't sure how to classify the most likely anymore.

There's also the added factor of people who may be saying they'll vote for Obama out of political correctness, but in the booth will not. I don't put a lot of stock in that, but the pollsters cite that factor.

At any rate, the one thing that's for sure is that predictions will move before November one way or the other.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 07:08:55 PM »

The Obama group seems to send out four times as many emails and requestions for donations/action as the McCain group.

Very interesting.

I have to agree with you WhiskyGirl, I also signed up at Hillary's site and several of the republican candidates. One week I got 11 separate "buy a ticket to an exclusive dinner with Obama for $1,000.00" and I got so mad, that I emailed Plouffe and also unsubscribed - but guess what? They still spam me?

CBB-

I really do not think Obama can be elected without a measure of southern support but the south has also changed dramatically as has the sunbelt demographically - we've had an onslaught of relocations from the northern US. So essentially it is a 'new south' in that the population is far less 'southern'.

Today Obama seems to be losing the battle a bit, for I do think voters will not forget the gas prices anytime soon. His unwillingness to support remedies like offshore drilling may be his undoing, but then it's also coming to light that as a senator he voted FOR incentives for the big oil companies and McCain did not. 

As McCain is now stating, what you say isn't as important as what you DO Obama !

I also think Clinton still has enough supporters that his disdain of Obama is going to impact him, some are speculating it could be the show stopper for Obama - we shall see.

I am all for humor however, I think this election is as serious as any ever has been and should be, but I am very determined not to endure attacks from anyone for exercising my opinions. I 'pay' for my vote with my hard work and taxes, enough said !

crazybabyborg
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 02:18:22 AM »

Very interesting.

I have to agree with you WhiskyGirl, I also signed up at Hillary's site and several of the republican candidates. One week I got 11 separate "buy a ticket to an exclusive dinner with Obama for $1,000.00" and I got so mad, that I emailed Plouffe and also unsubscribed - but guess what? They still spam me?

CBB-

I really do not think Obama can be elected without a measure of southern support but the south has also changed dramatically as has the sunbelt demographically - we've had an onslaught of relocations from the northern US. So essentially it is a 'new south' in that the population is far less 'southern'.

Today Obama seems to be losing the battle a bit, for I do think voters will not forget the gas prices anytime soon. His unwillingness to support remedies like offshore drilling may be his undoing, but then it's also coming to light that as a senator he voted FOR incentives for the big oil companies and McCain did not. 

As McCain is now stating, what you say isn't as important as what you DO Obama !

I also think Clinton still has enough supporters that his disdain of Obama is going to impact him, some are speculating it could be the show stopper for Obama - we shall see.

I am all for humor however, I think this election is as serious as any ever has been and should be, but I am very determined not to endure attacks from anyone for exercising my opinions. I 'pay' for my vote with my hard work and taxes, enough said !

None, you and I share a belief that this is as serious as it gets in terms of an election. I'm watching closely the impact of gas prices and it's taking some very interesting turns. There's been a lot of speculation about Obama's running mate, but unless he turns face on this issue as well, his running mate is Pelosi no matter who he chooses. That's going to be a deal breaker for a lot of voters. She's managed to really get herself in deep this time, and Obama chose to duck and weave instead of lead.

Contrast that to McCain over the issue of the surge in Iraq. The dems and a lot of Republicans were dead set against increasing troops in this war that was not going well. Many voters agreed with them, too. McCain knew he was going to make a run for election, but he took a stance for what he really felt was right and what he felt was best for our country. McCain chose to LEAD rather than hide in safe rhetoric.

Pelosi has misjudged this one badly. She doesn't want a vote, so that the voting record cannot be used against Democrats in the election, and she was also betting that because she can block a vote, gas prices would continue upward, and voters frustration would transfer to wanting a new party in the White House. Bush put a crimp in part of that plan when he signed the executive order allowing exploration and offshore drilling, and futures responded with a decline in price. She also didn't count on the Republicans making it their issue and being responsive to the people's wants. It's a matter of whether we want to buy oil from Middle eastern countries, or from ourselves. We will always need the oil. Hopefully, we'll have alternative sources as well, but we cannot approach the energy problem without answering the question as to whether we want to develop all WE have, or depend on others to sell it to us. That means OUR coal, OUR natural gas, OUR solar, OUR nuclear, OUR wind power, and OUR OIL. The vote was just to follow Bush in lifting the restrictions on the continental shelf and Pelosi's response was amazing: "I have to save the planet and offshore drilling is a hoax!" 

Obama and Pelosi WANT higher gas prices! That fact is sinking in to Americans and suddenly the image of Obama in front of cheering crowds in Germany and France are causing different emotions and different questions: What Country's interests is he vested in, anyway?

The tire gauge is hitting home. People understand that the solution to the health care crisis is not to eat an apple a day, and the solution to gas prices is not a tire gauge.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 10:03:50 AM »

VERY well said CBB, we totally agree. I didn't start out a McCain supporter but he is growing on me, and for many of the reasons you point to. He isn't afraid to take a stand, even if it's unpopular or misunderstood, he has principles.

The black american head of urban studies at Temple University was on BOR last night speaking about Tyra Banks depicting Michelle, but he also very clearly said much about Obama that is at the core of the issue here. He called Obama a 'rock star' and a 'celebrity' and that he is at times 'arrogant' - he also was quick to say he has significant reservations regarding Obama's capability to be the President.

Just as I posed previously, in my opinion as more of Obama is exposed by, the onion isn't as pretty. Time will tell......

Alan Spechter is on the airwaves this morning calling for congress to return to DC and get the energy vote done. I can just imagine Pelosi is going to duck and weave but I think the republicans called on Spechter to do this, for he does know how to use the media effectively to leverage.

It's getting interesting, ain't it? 

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.