March 28, 2024, 01:09:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Animal Stories  (Read 2864 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: August 05, 2008, 12:52:54 PM »

Dead dog's owner creates FIVE cloned puppies of her beloved pet

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 1:39 PM on 05th August 2008

These five puppies may look unassuming but they have a place in history as the first hounds to be commercially cloned from a pet dog.

The dark haired pups were created by the South Korean company RNL Bio for Bernann McKinney, a scriptwriter from Hollywood, who lost her beloved dog Booger recently.

'This is a miracle,' Ms McKinney said, hugging the five clones at Seoul National University's veterinary school.

'These guys gave me the best present,' she added.

The 57-year-old provided ear tissue from her deceased pet and paid £25,000 to have him cloned. The five puppies were born from two surrogate mothers on July 28th, according to Ra Jeong-Chang, CEO of RNL Bio.

'They are perfectly the same as their daddy. I am in heaven here. I am a happy person,' McKinney said, recalling her years with Booger who saved her life by chasing off a ferocious mastiff which had attacked her.

She said she would consider training some of the pups as service dogs for the handicapped or elderly when they arrive at her home in September.

McKinney said she had contacted South Korean experts after a US company failed to re-create Booger.

The operation was launched in May by a SNU team led by Professor Lee Byeong-Chun. He played a key role in creating the world's first cloned dog, an Afghan hound named Snuppy, on a non-commercial basis in 2005.

Ra's company originally charged £75,000 dollars to clone Booger, but agreed to slash this to celebrate what it calls the first commercial deal for a pet dog.

(snip)

'For my next project, I will consider cloning camels for rich people in the Middle East,' he added.

(snip)

He added that he will contest claims by a US dog-cloning firm, BioArts International, that it is infringing on its patent. Both companies maintain they have the sole right to clone dogs worldwide.

read the rest of the story and see cute pictures here -
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1041709/Dead-dogs-owner-creates-FIVE-cloned-puppies-beloved-pet.html

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 08:58:53 AM »

Why you never kiss a monkey!  (Watch on an empty stomach)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0TO9ApY8r0

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 12:14:01 PM »

How to sing your puppies to sleep:

http://www.maniacworld.com/how-to-sing-puppies-to-sleep.html

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 07:22:17 PM »

Dog Calls 911 for Owner

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1746429/dog_calls_911_after_owner_collapses/

Our deeds are seeds and by them, we plant the world we will walk through tomorrow
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 02:44:29 PM »

This is an article, and not a story, but it's a nice one about animals.  For so many, our pets are a big part of our lives and are considered family.

Church invites congregants to weekly 'Woof 'n' Worship' services

Pilgrim Congregational Church is encouraging congregants to bring their canine companions to weekly "Woof 'n' Worship" services in Weymouth, Mass., The Patriot Ledger says.

“People are really struggling in everyday life, and the animals that we have are something that give us joy every day,” the Rev. Rachel Bickford tells the paper.

She says they had "to pay a little extra" to get the insurance company to cover pit bulls.

"We're going to have doggy clean-up stations, but I'm not worried," she tells the Boston Globe. "Dog owners are very responsible folks. I fully expect it will be wonderful and that there will be a lot of giggles and all sorts of fun."
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/10/church-invites.html

I believe even authorities have come to realize what pets mean to people as a result of the hurricane evacuations.  Many chose to stay and face the storm with their pets rather then leave them.  In Austin, TX the humane society was housing pets temporarily for those people that had to seek refuge in shelters from the hurricanes and had brought their pets.  The pets couldn't stay in the shelter with their humans, but had their own shelter and there was even transportation provided to bring the people to visit the pets.  I wish it could be this way for everyone that had pets and evacuated.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 02:21:04 PM »

Hero dog risks life to save kittens from fire
Sun Oct 26, 11:06 am ET
SYDNEY (Reuters) – A dog was hailed as a hero on Sunday after it risked its life to save a litter of newborn kittens from a house fire, rescuers said.

In a case which gives the lie to the saying about 'fighting like cats and dogs', the terrier cross named Leo had to be revived with oxygen and heart massage after his ordeal. Fire broke out overnight at the house in Australia's southern city of Melbourne, where he was guarding the kittens.

Fire fighters who revived Leo said he refused to leave the building and was found by them alongside the litter of kittens, despite thick smoke.

"Leo wouldn't leave the kittens and it nearly cost him his life," fire service Commander Ken Brown told reporters.

The four kittens also survived the fire and Sunday Leo, who fire fighters nicknamed 'Smoky', was again back at the house.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081026/od_nm/us_animals_odd

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.