March 28, 2024, 01:21:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Powell shoots down Democratic convention talk  (Read 1216 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: August 13, 2008, 07:50:32 PM »

Powell shoots down Democratic convention talk

32 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) — Former Republican secretary of state Colin Powell denied Wednesday that he was to appear at the upcoming Democratic convention, in what would have been a coup for White House runner Barack Obama.

The idea of Powell, a former chairman of the US military's joint chiefs of staff, crossing party lines in a spectacular endorsement of Obama was raised earlier by conservative journalist William Kristol.

But Powell told ABC News in a telephone interview: "I do not have time to waste on Bill Kristol's musings. I am not going to the convention. I have made this clear."

ABC said Powell ended the conversation without entertaining any more questions about whether he might endorse Obama.

On Fox News, Kristol had cited unnamed sources as saying Powell would endorse Obama and "may well give a speech" at the August 25-28 Democratic convention in Denver, Colorado.

The extent of Powell's remaining influence among US voters is unclear, as he is one of the figures most associated with the decision to wage war in Iraq, despite his well-known qualms about military action abroad.

But his vast foreign policy experience outweighs even that of Republican Senator John McCain, Obama's veteran opponent in the White House race.

Powell was also one of the highest-ranking African-American public officials ever in US history, and has been complimentary about Obama's bid to become the nation's first black president.

Rebuffing a key line of attack by Obama's critics, Powell told ABC in April: "He didn't have a lot of experience in running a presidential campaign, did he? But he seems to know how to organize the task.

"He doesn't have experience at the senior levels of national government. But I've seen other individuals who have come along that didn't have that breadth of experience," said the former top official under President George W. Bush.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h2UmXILPJ1qfLfZctS2lodOrq06g

Interesting...

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.