March 28, 2024, 10:17:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inspiring Response by Young and Lovely Jilted Nearly A Bride  (Read 4145 times)
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: September 08, 2006, 03:32:51 PM »

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/wedding-off-jilted-bride-turns-party/20060908125009990012?ncid=NWS00010000000001

What an outstanding family, she surely deserves a better man than the fiance.

Wedding Off, Jilted Bride Turns Party Into a Benefit

By STEPHANIE STROM, The New York Times

(Sept. Cool - Six weeks before Kyle Paxman’s scheduled wedding, a stranger walked into her office with e-mail messages and other evidence that Ms. Paxman’s fiancé was cheating on her — with the stranger’s girlfriend.

“The dress had arrived, the flowers were done, the menus were chosen,” said Ms. Paxman, manager of two food and beverage outlets at La Costa Resort and Spa in Carlsbad, Calif. “One hundred and eighty guests had tickets from all over the country and the Virgin Islands to come and make a weekend of my wedding.”

But rather than cancel the reception, planned for this Saturday in Vermont, Ms. Paxman, 29, has turned it into a charity benefit, at which strong women will be celebrated. “How do you turn something so awful around?” she said. “We needed to turn this into something positive and start the healing process.”

Right after getting the bad news on July 28, her mother, Patricia Carbee, began canceling reservations and events like a golf outing, but she learned that the family was still on the hook for the reception costs, a block of rooms at the Basin Harbor Club on Lake Champlain, in Vergennes, Vt., and other expenses.

“We had already spent the money, and I started trying to think of other ways we might be able to put the things we’d bought to use,” Mrs. Carbee said.

Ms. Paxman and her parents have invited 125 women, only some of whom were among the original invitees, to enjoy the cocktails and four-course dinner and, in return, she hopes they will write checks to two charities she has chosen, the Vermont Children’s Aid Society and CARE USA, the American affiliate of the international relief group.

“If you think about it, she’s not only empowering herself, she’s reaching out and helping to empower other women,” said Bibiana Betancourt, a fund-raising executive at CARE. She said Ms. Paxman’s plans were the most unusual she had encountered in her seven years raising money for CARE.

Ms. Paxman and her parents came up with the plan over dinner one night, she said, and quickly hit upon the Vermont Children’s Aid Society as one beneficiary. “We had supported things like the March of Dimes in the past, but this had to be something Kyle could embrace and support,” Mrs. Carbee said.

The next morning, as she and Ms. Paxman were mulling other possibilities over coffee, they were distracted by an advertisement for CARE on television. It shows hundreds of women from various countries striding across a desert, then zeroes in on four who stare straight into the camera and declare, “I am powerful.”

It ends as a narrator says: “She has the power to change her world. You have the power to help her,” and it spoke to Ms. Paxman. “It was the most powerful commercial I’ve ever seen,” she said. “I knew then that I had found my other cause.”

She said she did not know whether her former fiancé, whom she declined to name, knew what she was doing, but said his parents were aware of the benefit. They have not been invited. “It would just be too hard to have them there on the day I was supposed to be marrying their son,” she said.

After the event, she and her mother will head for Tahiti and the honeymoon trip she planned.

“It’s going to be hard, of course,” she said of appearing before her guests. “But the end of my story now isn’t so awful.”

I continue to stand with the girl.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 09:35:51 PM »

Thanks, None.  This young woman made more than lemonade.  

Makes me recall weddings where in lieu of favors, a donation was made to a charity.  Give and you shall receive.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 01:50:23 PM »

I agree 2NJ_Son's Mom, I wish there were far more of this behavior in our world today. I see she's gotten more press nationally too, and has continued to be quite humble about it.

I'd say the young man who does eventually marry her is a lucky man.

I continue to stand with the girl.
Kimmy53
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 03:28:35 PM »

Good for her!!!!  It is refreshing to see someone like this girl do something that will reach FAR beyond what she has even imagined.  She is fortunate in another way, that she found out the truth about her fiance before it was too late.  It may be painful now, but would have been so much more so later on....

~Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up everytime we fail~
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 03:02:29 PM »

She is an exceptional young woman. I bet God has someone truly worthy of her waiting in the wings.
Her Mother sounds like a wonderful woman as well, so we know where the daughter learned her graciousness.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.