April 25, 2024, 01:24:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: McCAIN'S VP IS SARAH LOUISE HEATH PALIN  (Read 15134 times)
crazybabyborg
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2008, 03:07:47 AM »

TYLER! I loved it! Thank you so much for posting it! I just think she is SO refreshing! FINALLY! A politician with the possibility of high office that is not tainted by ego, power, and authority! I just get the sense that she has ordinary concerns and practical solutions, and is one of those "middle class" Americans that every politician makes promises to, but can't relate with!
Kermit
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 11:58:20 AM »

A FIGHT FOR THE VOTE - OBAMA CHOOSE A CATHOLIC AS V.P. TO GET THE CATHOLIC VOTES,
Catholics, often pivotal, are divided closely between the rivals. The ABC-Post poll shows McCain ahead by 11 points among white Catholics.

MC CAIN CHOOSE A WOMAN IN THE RACE FOR THE WOMEN VOTE
BUT what about THE ELDERLY/BABY BOOMERS/ AND...

With an estimated 8 million or more families with special needs children their voting power will matter.
http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/2071219/replies?c=1

Tuesday, August 19, 2008
John McCain has recaptured the lead over Barack Obama in Florida, besting his Democratic opponent 46% to 43%
http://tinyurl.com/6l683k
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 09:54:46 PM »

Newsweek has an interesting piece on McCain's background, including some of his private family pain, I never knew his father was an alcoholic prior. I was having trouble sleeping night before last, I cut on CNN and found a biography on Obama was broadcasting.

Very interesting, how many of you are aware that Obama turned on his own mentor to gain his seat in the Senate? Indeed he did, he also was termed "ambitious and even ruthless" by his own in Chicago. Make no mistake about this, Obama has an ego. It may well be his achilles heel before long.

Yes he worked with the poor in Chicago instead of Wall Street, but he also left that work when he realized the wheels turn slowly when changing policies or building programs for the poor. That tells me a great deal about him, I left a possible career in nuclear disaster planning with the DOD due to the slow wheels of bureaucracy but I've been honest about that always. He however hasn't been, he also affiliated with unsavories to get ahead.

I don't think it's fair to judge Palin at a surface level. If you are familiar with Alaska at all, well it's a man's state, not a woman's. Tough environment and tougher for a woman to gain respect there. I suspect Palin has had to do it twice as well as any man, to even become governor. Are any of you aware that when she became Governor she got rid of the requisite governor's private jet? She flies commercial just like the rest of us, she felt the jet was an unecessary extravagance. She's already been to Iraq, unlike Obama she didn't need a presidential election to push her there, now her son will be going and risking his life for all of us.

I'm anxious to learn all that I can about her and about McCain. Obama's stage presence has worn thin on me and I suspect most of those thinking women who won't support him, feel the same way also.

I continue to stand with the girl.
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 11:46:39 PM »

Newsweek has an interesting piece on McCain's background, including some of his private family pain, I never knew his father was an alcoholic prior. I was having trouble sleeping night before last, I cut on CNN and found a biography on Obama was broadcasting.

Very interesting, how many of you are aware that Obama turned on his own mentor to gain his seat in the Senate? Indeed he did, he also was termed "ambitious and even ruthless" by his own in Chicago. Make no mistake about this, Obama has an ego. It may well be his achilles heel before long.

Yes he worked with the poor in Chicago instead of Wall Street, but he also left that work when he realized the wheels turn slowly when changing policies or building programs for the poor. That tells me a great deal about him, I left a possible career in nuclear disaster planning with the DOD due to the slow wheels of bureaucracy but I've been honest about that always. He however hasn't been, he also affiliated with unsavories to get ahead.

I don't think it's fair to judge Palin at a surface level. If you are familiar with Alaska at all, well it's a man's state, not a woman's. Tough environment and tougher for a woman to gain respect there. I suspect Palin has had to do it twice as well as any man, to even become governor. Are any of you aware that when she became Governor she got rid of the requisite governor's private jet? She flies commercial just like the rest of us, she felt the jet was an unecessary extravagance. She's already been to Iraq, unlike Obama she didn't need a presidential election to push her there, now her son will be going and risking his life for all of us.

I'm anxious to learn all that I can about her and about McCain. Obama's stage presence has worn thin on me and I suspect most of those thinking women who won't support him, feel the same way also.

So far, I Love Palin!  She is so down to earth.  I can't wait to hear more from her at the RNC.

I will give Obama credit on one fact I feel very strongly about, FAMILIES ARE OFF LIMITS!

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 11:54:04 PM »

Oops, accidently hit post, before I finished.   Ok, her daughter at 17 is pregnant.  So what.   She comes from a very strong family background and no doubt, her and baby will be very well taken care of.   That is nobody's business.  I have two daughters, who I love with all my heart, but darn,  they aren't perfect!    Did they do things, they knew I disagreed with on occasion?   Did they make mistakes, like I did?  Yes!  Does that make me a horrible mother?  Well, I'm not a perfect mother, but I did teach my kids right from wrong,  I have and always be there for them, but they are now adults and have done nothing horrible, but YES, they've made bad decisions and make mistakes.    That's Life!

That absolutely has no bearing on her credentials for VP. She still has more experience than Obama and she did it with integrity, fierce fighting of her own party to fight corruption.  This is one strong, highly respectable lady, with an 80% acceptance rating in a man's world!   Unless I hear otherwise,  she has every right and experienct in that position!

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 02:26:00 AM »

This woman has no VP qualifications.  It is scary to think that she may be a heartbeat away from the presidency behind a 72 year old president with a history of poor health.  She has a degree in journalism, no experience in Washington or on the national or international level at all.  Are we to assume she could go head to head with Putin or Ahmadinejad when the time comes?  She is years away from being prepared for high level leadership.  What was McCain thinking?  There are a number of accomplished Republican women who could have enhanced the ticket and perhaps attracted the female vote.  Why Palin?
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 04:11:11 AM »

i think McCain took a huge gamble by picking her.
for now it doesn't seem to be working out too well.

tonight she gives a speech.
there she has to turnaround the bad impression she seems to be getting now.

AMY GOODMAN: And she’s also a strong anti-abortion activist?

RICHARD MAUER: Very much so, but a very—and—but as a great campaigner, and I think McCain is going to see that, as well. She’s a great speaker, very energetic. People really warm to her. She’s great at one-on-one. She’s great on one-on-a-thousand.
http://www.democracynow.org/2008/9/1/in_surprise_move_mccain_taps_alaska

so she is a great speaker.
apparently she also as has an eidetic memory, so she will be able to get a lot of information in fast.
of course that's not directly experience - but i've got a feeling there is going to be surprise.

mccain likes the underdog position. remember last year he was nearly written off.
all expectations are low now regarding sarah palin.
this speech tonight might be brilliant. surely for the conservatives.

here is she adressing a church in Wassila, AK:
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1766638341

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 09:54:59 AM »

A's Fever, I understand your concerns. I was thinking last night that I think I fear Biden's beltway boy worse than inexperience on her part. I'm also thinking that soon McCain will need to expose his own medical record for closer examination in this election, I feel sure Obama's camp will push for that.

caesu, it will be an interesting speech. I plan to tune in and to listen to both BOR with Obama and Palin at the RNC. Thank heavens for TiVo for I feel sure they will occur at competing times.

Her daughter's situation is one many families deal with in the US, I know this from my own children's friends, but more often than not the result was an abortion. My own sister had an abortion while in college, she never confessed this to my parents to this day......but she did have one. It changed her forever as well, so I truly do see both sides of this issue and am willing to be so candid because I don't think abortion is a positive or easy result either. FYI, my nephew who died last year in the auto accident was my sister's firstborn as well, which brought some of the pain from that choice she made to the forefront all over again.

If Palin's daughter marrying works long-term for both she and this baby, as well as the baby's father, I truly do feel that is the best possible solution.

It must be hard on the daughter and also this entire family to play this out in such a public fashion. Those types of experiences define you, your character and your resolve.

I think Meghan's post that caseu brought forward demonstrates the level of compassion and maturity that I do think both McCain's should be very proud of in their daughter.

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »

I do think Palin brings something to the table: she is youthful, energetic, refreshing. Very likeable.  But for me the warm feelings are not the criteria to consider in such a high level position. 

Her family situation does not influence my feelings here, in fact, it is refreshing to find a political family faced with the problems every day Americans face.  We can teach and guide our teenagers but they are teenagers, we can't hold their hands anymore, and teens are faced with a lot every day.  Sexual activity is rife in todays high schools, as are alcohol and drugs.  It would be great to stop denying and judging this and to deal with it in a forthright manner with our teens. It saddens me that adult activities have permeated our youth to such a great degree, but that is modern life.  I wish Bristol and her young man the best and hope that it all works out for them.  It must be very difficult for this to have exploded from their own personal drama to the national stage.

One thing that does bother me, a lot, are the reports that Palin went back to work three days after giving birth to her Down's Syndrome baby.  I try not to let this personal matter influence my thinking about Palin's ability to execute VP duties, however, if true, I find it shocking.  Usually women find this a very special bonding time, and for a special needs child, I would think that one would spend as much time as possible getting to know this little guy and his needs, and giving him all the love one could.  By day three, how could all of the assessments and counseling even have been completed?     
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 12:12:22 PM »

A's Fever, it's good to have your perspective in these threads again, I appreciate it.

I didn't mean to emphasize the family issues over true credentials to do the VP role, I guess I am holding off judgment on that until we learn more about her and hear more from her. The inexperience bothers me but her demonstrated initiative such as going to Iraq not for a VP photo opp but of her own accord some time ago, give me hope that unlike Obama she's not interested in just leaders opinions but those in the ranks and on the ground. I'm not sure Obama is willing to make that effort, his tour of Iraq seemed more about he and Iraq leadership and less about gaining a full bodied perspective.

A's one question I have had, is if Palin's husband works? If not it could be that they have simply reversed roles, something I do have respect for having an open mind to parenting and less of a traditionalist. Even though Rick was not my children's natural father, at times he was better and supporting their needs than I was, due to my work schedule. He worked far less overtime than I was required to, and also he was just better than myself with certain issues.

We also don't know what pressing issues she had as governor at that moment, I am hoping we learn more about all of this and about Palin.

When it comes to experience however, I do think she's had more significant experience than Obama in managing fiscal budgeting, in having to work through to solutions in spite of partisanship as Governor, and unlike Obama in the Chicago political machine - she did not have insiders in Alaska paving the way for her as Obama did.

McCain is known for thumbing in the face of convention, it appears he's prepared to do so again - now I'd like to know what he saw in Palin to inspire this? Hopefully we'll have enough time to learn as much as we can........now I'm feeling November is coming far too fast.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 01:34:49 PM »

A's Fever, I just found this piece online. If you do a search on Todd Palin there is quite a bit for review 'out there'.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122040040143693083.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

As for the troopergate, if that guy actually did threaten to take the governor 'out' or anything akin to a death threat, then he should have lost his job. A state trooper should know better, sorry but I have strong feelings about our LE being above reproach toward non-violent resolutions to issues.

Still googling.......

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2008, 03:35:44 PM »

Thanks, None, that article is full of good info.  I had read that he is an oil field worker, but had not heard of his taking a leave.  I wonder if the work is seasonal.  There is a lot of info out there now, but hard to tell how much is accurate at this point. . .

As far as the experience question, it may just be "six of one / half a dozen of the other".  Seems to me that Obama's experience as a lawmaker, being involved firsthand in the workings and policy making in Washington, along with his work on the FR committee, would be more relevant experience and a typical career path toward higher office in DC (though I have also posted my concerns about his level of experience.  But you make a good point about Palin having executive experience at the gubernatorial level, along with budgeting.  Though it is not a very populous state. Also, Obama's level of education is in the plus column for me.

But I'll keep reading . . . 
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 12:35:41 AM »

Sarah Palin is not running for President, Barack Obama, who has less experience than Sarah, is running for president.  He never wrote a paper or a brief for the Law Review at Harvard when he was the president of their law review.  He has never written a piece of legislature.  Sarah has negotiated with the Canadians, Russians and Mexicans on pipelines.  She has had to budget money.  The town where she was mayor went from 3000 to 11,000 before she left office. She took on her own Republican cronies, Mayor, Senator and Governor. She beat the mayor, the governor and got the senator indicted.  She has more experience in one year as a governor as far as making tough decisions than Barack has ever had to make.  He has done nothing but community organize, 115 days in the US Senate when he started his campaign.

This woman KNOWS how to delegate. She has 5 children, a pregnant daughter, a special-needs child, job as governor and has accomplished more in her 16 years of politics than Barack has in his 8 years.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2008, 12:54:34 AM »

Raw Data: Sarah Palin Remarks at GOP Convention
by Sharon Kehnemui Liss, FOXNews.com
Wednesday, September 3, 2008

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/03/raw-data-sarah-palin-remarks-at-gop-convention/

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 02:28:26 AM »

pretty well delivered speech as i expected.
i bet the (ultra)-conservatives love her.

i doubt it will attract many independents and surely not hillary-supporters.
only thing she has in common with hillary is her drive and gender.

clearly a continuation of the bush-years. maybe even more extreme.
the economy was hardly addressed.

she still has to answer to the lingering scandals surrounding here.
especially this troopergate. e-mails of her pressuring to fire this police chief surfaced today.

this ridiculing of community organizers by her and other speakers is offensive.
many families are forced to rely on them when they are hit by the subprime mortgage crisis for example.

and the praise of her running that tiny town as major and the state of alaska comes with sidenotes.
she left that town in a huge debt, she accepted earmarks, she was FOR the bridges to nowhere.
she wanted to ban books from the library. and there are more controversial acts noted.

i think they will shield her from any reporters to prevent her from running in trouble.
meanwhile giving her a crash course foreign police / national security for her debate with biden.

crazybabyborg
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2008, 03:46:49 AM »

I thought she did a great job with the speech tonight. Just a couple of points: My understanding is the baby wasn't diagnosed with Down's at birth, so when she returned to work she didn't know. Actually, the report I heard was that Trig was just recently diagnosed and conclusively tested.

The facts will come out about all the rumours. The bridge to nowhere was one that Palin scrapped when she evaluated the requirements and restrictions that were attached to the funding.

I heard on CNN tonight that the town she served as Mayor was left in debt, but on another network (sorry, it was either ABC or CBS, I'm not sure) they were discussing the media attention and rumours and it was said that some of the bloggers were using long term utility contracts negotiated and secured by Palin for the town, as debt she left the town in. I'm not sure that both networks were addressing the same issue, and it may be something else all together, but I did wonder if they were the same.

I think she has passed the first test with the speech, and would point out that no one brought up the fact that ALL speakers at either convention has speech writers. It has only been raised around Palin. I heard Liz Troter (sp?), a democratic strategist raise the issue of her ability to govern with 5 children, and was outraged at the question. I have also heard the argument that she is not prepared to be President should McCain die. I would point out that America likes governors for Presidents. Clinton, Carter, and Reagen were governors. I keep waiting for someone to remember that if McCain should pass away...........and if he got his Mom's genes, he's going to be around for a long time, she would select a Vice President. I have the impression she would fill that slot with a wise enough choice to shore up her weaknesses in much the same way Obama chose Biden for the same reason. Frankly, I'm amazed that no one has considered the scenario of Biden, who is touted as Obama's answer to Foreign Affairs, passing away. Everyone just assumes a level of comfort because we know that a Secretary Of State and Foreign Relation advisors would be in place. Those same positions would be filled in a McCain Presidency's Administration and would be available to Palin.

You know what I think? I think that primarily because Sarah Palin is a women that we haven't seen for years and years, she has been thrust into our deepest prejudice. I don't think that anyone who has even considered voting for Obama can criticize Palin on the basis of experience. I wonder if some of Hillary's acceptance wasn't subconsciencly because we knew she had a former President in her shadow.

I hate what I am seeing when I look at the scrutiny and hatred that has spawned the rumour mill around Palin. I have absolutely no problem with anyone challenging her on her record or on a position she takes on any issue. I agree that it would be very hard for Hillary supporters to overcome the pro-life stance she takes. I'm not sure how many of them are older women that perhaps it's not such a significant issue to, but to me, that issue alone is going to be a high hurdle to jump if the goal is to attract Hillary voters.

I heard Geraldine Ferraro speak about Palin, and she was appalled at the way the media was treating her and she felt that the Obama Campaign was responsible for it if the surface were scratched.

I'm watching closely as well as you guys. There may be a major flaw with her. There may not be. But I am totally convinced that either way, she will pay a higher price to win or loose than any other candidate for Vice President in history. I'm stunned and saddened by that.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2008, 09:20:01 AM »

Well I have to weigh in here, caesu I think you are now listening to more hype and less fact, something you have accused many of us here of regarding Obama.

Fact 1 - Troopergate as it's been nicknamed is appalling. It's appalling because this state trooper was using his stun gun on his wife. That is clear physical abuse and by a member of their LE. He also threatened Palin, as sitting Governor of their state. If that isn't an indication of an unbalanced person, I do not know what is. IMO he's lucky she didn't get him locked up asap.

Fact 2 - The state of Alaska might not impress some as a large entity but when you factor in the impact of the energy resources in Alaska, it's a big player in the US. I would not underestimate that if I were a thinking voter, nor the demand of navigating and leading that for it's governor no matter who the governor is.

Fact 3 - Palin's husband appears to have taken a leave of absence from work, yes having a newborn with issues is a concern, but do we have any of the details of her schedule going back to work? Was it part time, was it only around strategic issues leaving her staff to handle more minor issues? We just do not know, now do we? Lots and lots of assumptions here.

I TiVo'd her speech and watched it twice, it took that to really digest all the issues she spoke to. Honestly I have to agree with CBB that we are looking for the Presidential candidate to meet ALL of the requirements. Can anyone here tell me that Gore met all the presidential requirements when he and Clinton first took power? I do not think so.

Prior to Palin speaking I was struck by something precedent-setting. When in any election year have we seen THREE successful women (Whitman, Fiorina, Palin) as featured speakers at the RNC in one night? I wanted to chant "it's ladies night", that alone is a great accomplishment and indicative of huge change. Did Hillary have the same support within her own party? I do not think so, so caesu you can call the ultra conservatives whatever you wish but by golly, they are beating out the democrats in terms of breaking glass ceilings !

The other issue I was struck with post her speech, were the sheer numbers of gender-biased comments that were made, by the media. I also watched as a fair number of female journalists and political commentators were taking this in - I think we will see some real push back from these women as we move forward, for gender bias toward Palin is perceived as gender bias against all women.

Maybe Palin's role is like Ferraro's before her, to advance equality. If she moves that boulder and shines light on the crevices where equality is only lip service, then she will have served us well.

Like CBB, it was her first speech so I am going to wait to hear further details, give her the benefit of the doubt just as I did Obama, to allow her to deliver. THEN I will make my judgment, not on the advice of media or posters, or even my family.

I am an educated person and a woman, I don't need anyone else to make up my mind for me.

I'll be googling, listening, and trying to assimilate an accurate picture of Palin in the meanwhile.....

Also, I LIKE HER CONFIDENCE. She speaks like a man, no wonder it rattles cages !

Kermit
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008, 10:38:11 AM »

This woman has no VP qualifications.  It is scary to think that she may be a heartbeat away from the presidency behind a 72 year old president with a history of poor health.  She has a degree in journalism, no experience in Washington or on the national or international level at all.  Are we to assume she could go head to head with Putin or Ahmadinejad when the time comes?  She is years away from being prepared for high level leadership.  What was McCain thinking?  There are a number of accomplished Republican women who could have enhanced the ticket and perhaps attracted the female vote.  Why Palin?

Well, her values are exemplified in the fact that she didn't get rid of her down syndrome child, and her daughter didn't get an abortion. Unlike many politicians who can't talk the talk nor walk the walk or talk and walk. Heh heh!

Although, you bring up a good question, why did McCain choose THIS Republican woman?
I mean it's obvious he is trying to garner the women's votes, but why THIS candidate for his VP?

Interesting question A's Fever.

Kermit
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008, 10:41:11 AM »

One reason, just occured to me A's Fever.

She was selected because of her ability with oil companies!
And I believe, if memory serves me, that she is in favor of offshore digging in Alaska, which has been an issue of debate for some time, if we used the oil in Alaska, we wouldn't have to depend on foreign oil, if we don't depend on foreign oil, it will help our economy.

bet that is his main reason for picking Palin.

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 03:58:44 PM »

bio Sarah Palin RNC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7swzN6T-38

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.