March 28, 2024, 03:40:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STATES release DECKs of CARDs With FACES OF UNSOLVED CASES  (Read 58756 times)
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 07:43:56 PM »

the cards are working

Cold case cards" help solve 32-year-old murder
April 23, 2011 4:29 PM

::snipping2::
(AP)  SEATTLE — A tip generated by a deck of "cold case" playing cards has helped solve a killing that occurred more than three decades ago, investigators said.

A 57-year-old Seattle man was arrested Friday night at his home and booked for investigation of first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of Susan Schwarz, 22, who was killed in her home near Lynnwood, about 15 miles north of Seattle, on Oct. 22, 1979.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/04/23/national/main20056769.shtml
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:39:44 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 02:42:46 PM »

Unsolved 1988 Sheboygan County double murder featured on prisoner playing cards
One of the most high-profile unsolved murders in Sheboygan County history is getting a unique kind of publicity as part of a playing card set distributed to prisoners throughout Wisconsin.

The 1988 murders of Eddie and Frances Cizauskas have remained unsolved despite a local publicity push beginning in 2008. Investigators asked for the public’s help after new technology and information brought them closer to solving the case.

The bodies of Eddie Cizauskas, 75, and his 73-year-old wife Frances, were discovered Nov. 30, 1988, in a barn used to store salvage parts at the couple’s Town of Sheboygan business, Eddie’s Jalopy Jungle, 2215 Mill Road. Investigators at the time said the murders occurred during a robbery attempt.

Capt. Dave Adams of the Sheboygan County Sheriff’s Department has said detectives know who killed the couple, but they so far lack the evidence to prove it.
snipping
http://www.sheboyganpress.com/article/20110730/SHE0101/307300046/Unsolved-1988-Sheboygan-County-double-murder-featured-prisoner-playing-cards?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »

Playing cards serve pivotal role in solving 1993 cold case murder

Submitted by KATU Communities Staff

Friday, July 8th, 2011, 1:01pm
PORTLAND, Ore. -- The man who shot and killed a 30-year-old woman inside her car in 1993 pleaded guilty to murder July 7.

Brad Richard Ballantyne, 37, was sentenced to 25 years in prison for the shooting death of Kimberly Jean Dunkin.

At 10:30 a.m. Jan. 1, 1993, Dunkin was found shot to death inside the driver's seat of her blue 1973 Chevrolet Camaro parked in front of 4927 Northeast Skidmore Street. An autopsy determined Dunkin died from a gunshot wound to her head.
Cold Case Homicide Detectives began examining this case in 2008. Dunkin's unsolved homicide was featured in a set of playing cards that are distributed throughout correctional facilities in Oregon. A tip directly related to the playing cards was given to detectives that ultimately helped lead to the arrest of Ballantyne in July of 2010.  ::snipping2::

Dunkin's sister, Karin Dunkin, regularly contacted members of the Cold Case Homicide Unit and members of the Portland media during the past several years. Police said the family never gave up hope and that their tenacity was also critical to the successful resolution of Dunkin's case.

As a part of the plea negotiation, the family had the opportunity to confront Ballantyne privately in a jury room on the 5th Floor of the Multnomah County Courthouse. The family handled this encounter with such passion, restraint, grace, and class, that Sergeant Paul Weatheroy, the supervisor of the Cold Case Homicide Unit, said, "I have never seen anything like this in my 25 year law enforcement career."
In May 2009, Crime Stoppers and local law enforcement agencies announced the release of decks of playing cards featuring homicide cases that have gone cold. Featured on each card is a different homicide cold case from the Portland Police Bureau and Sheriff's Offices from Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas and Clark Counties. Modeled after similar programs in Florida and Los Angeles, the decks of playing cards purchased by Crime Stoppers are sold in all State and Federal correctional facilities in Oregon as well as county jails in Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas, and Clark Counties.
http://northeastportland.katu.com/news/crime/playing-cards-serve-pivotal-role-solving-1993-cold-case-murder/441751
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:49:44 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 02:48:52 PM »

Kimberly Dunkin...................RIP

from link above

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2017, 07:45:34 PM »

http://www.registercitizen.com/general-news/20170411/connecticut-releases-4th-deck-of-cold-case-playing-cards-for-inmates

Connecticut releases 4th deck of cold case playing cards for inmates
POSTED: 04/11/17, 1:55 PM EDT

The fourth edition of “cold case” playing cards soliciting information about unsolved homicides and missing person cases is now available to inmates throughout the Connecticut correctional system.

The playing cards were produced by the Cold Case Unit in the Office of the Chief State’s Attorney in conjunction with the Department of Correction and other law enforcement agencies working to solve cases that have gone “cold,” or unsolved for a prolonged period of time, according to a release.

Arrests or convictions have occurred in 20 of the cases featured on the previous three decks of cards, including several cases where arrests followed tips received because of inmates seeing the cards, officials said.

Cold case investigators have received more than 675 tips since the first deck was introduced more than six years ago, according to the release. 

Although the cards are not available for sale to the public, all four editions can be seen on the website of the Department of Correction or the Division of Criminal Justice. The public is encouraged to view the cards and share any information they might have about any of the cases. Information may be submitted by telephone at 1-866-623-8058, by email at cold.case@ct.gov or by regular mail at P.O. Box 962, Rocky Hill, CT 06067.

Each card in the deck of 52 features a photograph and brief details about an unsolved homicide or missing person case and lists telephone, mail and e-mail contacts inmates can use to provide information.

The cases featured on the cards are generally changed in subsequent decks to allow for the maximum number of cases to be circulated through the correctional system, although some cases have been featured a second time to include updated information, most notably the identity of a previously unidentified victim, according to the release. 

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.