March 29, 2024, 06:59:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HURRICANE GUSTAV & HANNA & IKE- INFORMATION  (Read 31310 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: August 30, 2008, 09:28:06 PM »

Please post any information, email addys, needs, offers, etc regarding this hurricane Gustav that looks like it will become a category 5.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 04:48:48 PM by klaasend » Logged
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 09:36:41 PM »

New Orleans - Evacuation Information

http://www.wwltv.com/video/?nvid=57429&live=yes
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 09:41:40 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,413941,00.html

Nagin Orders Mandatory Evacuation of New Orleans as Gustav Approaches
Saturday , August 30, 2008

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin ordered the mandatory evacuation of New Orleans, while Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal warned residents that the state "could see flooding worse than Hurricane Katrina," as Gustav approached the Gulf Coast.

The announcement turned informal advice to flee from Gustav into an official order to get out.

Nagin said Saturday that the evacuation becomes mandatory at 8 a.m. Sunday on the city's vulnerable west bank. It becomes mandatory on the east bank at noon.

The announcement comes as officials continued to evacuate the elderly, disabled, poor and others without means ahead of Gustav's march toward the Gulf Coast.

"[This is] as bad as it gets," the Republican governor said, quoting the National Weather Service.

An estimated 1 million residents fled the Gulf Coast Saturday, ahead of any official evacuation order, according to the Associated Press, but after the National Hurricane Center issued a hurricane watch for Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and part of Texas.

The watch area includes New Orleans, where residents marked the third anniversary of Hurricane Katrina's devastation on Friday. The watch stretches from east of High Island, Texas, to the Alabama-Florida border.

Hurricane Gustav strengthened to a dangerous Category 4 storm Saturday, prompting officials to plan a special advisory and some Gulf Coast residents to leave town ahead of mandatory evacuations.

Data from an Air Force reconnaissance aircraft indicated that Gustav's maximum winds have increased to close to 145 mph, making the already-deadly storm an extremely hazardous Category 4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale.

The advisory was issued about 2 p.m. EDT to modify an earlier warning.

Gustav could strengthen even further to a Category 5 hurricane just before or shortly after it passes over Cuba into the Gulf of Mexico, according to the National Hurricane Center.

New Orleans residents, with the memory of devastating Hurricane Katrina still fresh in their minds, didn't waste time getting out of the city on Saturday.

Click here for satellite, radar and tracking maps at MyFOXHurricane.com.

Click here for photos.

Lines of people waiting for buses to take them out of the Big Easy grew longer and traffic grew heavier on main highways as Hurricane Gustav strengthened into a dangerous storm on track for the Gulf Coast.

"I'm getting out of here. I can't take another hurricane," said Ramona Summers, 59, whose house flooded during Katrina. She hurried to help friends gather their belongings. Her car was already packed for Gonzales, nearly 60 miles away to the west of New Orleans.

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said a mandatory evacuation hadn't yet been issued, but could come later in the day to begin Sunday morning.

He said he was confident the levees wouldn't fail the way they did during Katrina if Gustav hits New Orleans.

"We have invested a significant amount of money in levee protection, so I’m not anticipating the same type of levee flooding we had with Katrina," Nagin told reporters Saturday. He said he was expecting street flooding, and city officials would be working through the night in preparation for the monster storm.

As for whether or not New Orleans could survive another devastating hurricane, Nagin said it would be difficult.

"Emotionally can we handle it? I think there's a lot of fragileness in the city," he said. "It’s going to be a tough one, but New Orleanians are very resilient."

A line well over a mile long stretched in six loops through the parking lot at Union Station Terminal in New Orleans. Under a blazing sun, many led children or pushed strollers with one hand and pulled luggage with the other. Volunteers handed out bottled water, and medics were nearby in case people became heatsick.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) was already working feverishly to avoid the kind of problems that surfaced in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. FEMA said it expects a "huge number" of Gulf Coast residents will be told to leave the region this weekend.

Joseph Jones Jr., 61, wore a towel over his head to block the sun. He'd been in line 2 1/2 hours, but wasn't complaining. During Katrina, he had been stranded on a highway overpass.

"I don't like it. Going someplace you don't know, people you don't know," Jones said. "And then when you come back, is your house going to be OK?"

The city had yet to call for a mandatory evacuation, but began ushering out the sick, elderly and those without their own transportation on Saturday. The state has a $7 million contract for more than 700 buses to carry an estimated 30,000 people to shelters.

Many residents said the evacuation was more orderly than Hurricane Katrina, which struck three years ago Friday. But not everyone was happy.

Elizabeth Tell, 67, had been waiting on the corner since 6:30 a.m. for a special needs bus to take her and her dog, Lee Roy, to the station. It was three hours before the first bus arrived, completely full of people in wheelchairs.

"They're not taking care of us down here!" she shouted as the brown-and-white spotted hound mix panted inside his hip-high plastic kennel.

Many residents weren't waiting for a formal evacuation call. Cars packed with clothes, boxes and pet carriers drove north among heavy traffic on Interstate 55, a major route out of the city. Gas stations around the city hummed. And nursing homes and hospitals began sending patients farther inland.

Police and firefighters were set to go street-to-street with bullhorns over the weekend to help direct people where to go. Unlike Hurricane Katrina, there will be no shelter of last resort in the Superdome. The doors there will be locked.

Those among New Orleans' estimated 310,000 to 340,000 residents who ignore orders to leave accept "all responsibility for themselves and their loved ones," the city's emergency preparedness director, Jerry Sneed, has warned.

There were signs Saturday morning of people racheting up their plans to leave. ATM machines were running out of cash. Long lines were sprouting up at gas stations as motorists filled up their cars. Cases of bottled water were selling briskly at convenience stores.

Gustav swelled into a major hurricane south of Cuba and could strike the U.S. coast anywhere from Mississippi to Texas by Tuesday.

Forecasters said if Gustav follows the projected path it would likely make landfall on Louisiana's central coast, sparing New Orleans a direct hit. But forecasters caution it is still too soon to say exactly where the storm will hit.

"Any little jog could change where it makes landfall," said Karina Castillo, a hurricane support meteorologist at the National Hurricane Center said.

One shop along Magazine Street, its windows covered up, showed a flash of New Orleans' storm humor. "Geaux Away Gustav," it read, giving it a French flair.

President Bush called Gulf Coast governors Saturday and told them they would have the full support of the federal government, White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said.

Officials plan to announce a curfew that will mean the arrest of anyone still on the streets after a mandatory evacuation order goes out. Police and National Guardsman will patrol after the storm's arrival, and Gov. Bobby Jindal has said he requested additional search and rescue teams from other states.

Jindal also said the state would likely switch interstate lanes on Sunday so that all traffic would flow north, in the direction an evacuation would follow.

By midday Saturday, Gustav was about 185 miles east of the western tip of Cuba and just 55 miles east-southeast of the Isla de Juventud. It was expected to be moving northwest near 14 mph.

Hurricane force winds extended out 60 miles in some places.

Cuban officials raced to evacuate more than 240,000 people

The center of Gustav was to pass over western Cuba later Saturday and strengthen is forecast after it reaches the Gulf of Mexico.

The second major hurricane of the Atlantic season has already killed 78 people in the Caribbean.

Haiti's Interior Ministry on Saturday raised the hurricane death toll there to 66 from 59. Gustav also killed eight people in the Dominican Republic and four in Jamaica.

Cuba grounded all national airline fights, though planes bound for international destinations were still taking off at Havana's Jose Marti International Airport.

Authorities also canceled all buses and trains to and from the capital, as well as ferry and air service to the Isla de Juventud, the outlying Cuban island-province next in Gustav's path.

The U.S. naval base at Guantanamo, Cuba, was hundreds of miles to the east, out of the storm's path.

Gustav could strike the U.S. Gulf coast anywhere from the Florida Panhandle to Texas, but forecasters said there was an increasing chance that New Orleans will get slammed by at least tropical-storm-force winds, three years after devastating Hurricane Katrina.

As much as 80 percent of the Gulf of Mexico's oil and gas production could be shut down as a precaution if Gustav enters as a major storm, weather research firm Planalytics predicted. Oil companies have already evacuated hundreds of workers from offshore platforms.

sleddogs
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 09:51:40 PM »

http://www.wwltv.com/local/orleans/stories/wwl083008bhorleansevac.2afaf5f8.html

“You need to be scared. You need to be concerned,” Nagin said during a Saturday evening news conference. “You need to get your butt out of New Orleans. This is the storm of the century.”

. . . .

Nagin said that the Westbank will be the first hit, with water being pushed up by a storm surge that could potentially hit 20-feet and higher. He said that because the Harvey Canal is not completed, leaving the area vulnerable to catastrophic flooding.

“For the Westbank, you were spared in Katrina,” Nagin said. “This is not that type of storm. The Harvey Canal is not complete. There’s holes in it. The surge will punch holes and will fill up the Westbank.

“This is not the storm to ride out.”

Who said Siberian Huskies are too big to be lap dogs?

If ya ain't the lead sleddog, the scenery never changes.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 10:14:27 PM »

Here is my suggestion for those who are generous enough to offer their homes to others or just want to help in some way.

Create a hotmail email account specifically for this.  You can always delete it later.  When you register your email address at hotmail you don't even have to use real information.  I have used klaasend as a first name and scaredmonkeys as a last name.  Then you can feel pretty safe about posting your email address in the forum. 

www.hotmail.com

That way people can email you directly and I don't always have to be the go-between.  You can just leave a message in this thread...."email me at xxx@hotmail.com if you need some place to stay"

Make sense?
BamaBlues
Scared Monkey

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 10:22:25 PM »

Minnie_Mouse215@yahoo.com

It's on my profile,

Just want people to be safe,
Please get to a SAFE place

Prayers for Caylee
sleddogs
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 10:24:25 PM »

I wouldn't wait!!!

Who said Siberian Huskies are too big to be lap dogs?

If ya ain't the lead sleddog, the scenery never changes.
snoopy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 12:02:21 AM »

I'm about 30 miles south of St. Louis on I-55.  Our home is open and your pets are welcome.  scaredmonkeysnoopy@gmail.com
cubbeegirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 12:55:21 AM »

What to do....what to do....They are saying that while we are safe from any storm surge , we will experience some high sustained winds and possibility of tornadoes, and lots of rain....People we are in contact with that are on the road are going nowhere slowly....I am going to get some sleep and get up early and see what Gustav is doing...
I am more concerned about the trees surrounding my house than anything else with this one....Will post tomorrow...Nighters!

"Natalee deserves to return to her country...."
    ~ Beth Holloway Twitty ~

Fly free with the angels KK!

We will never forget you sweet Caylee!
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 01:21:05 AM »

This is a great idea Klaas.  I will use dihannah1@yahoo.com.   Though, I am not in a position to take anybody in, due to remodeling, I will send any neccesities, so plese do NOT hesitate to ask, we are family.

One other thing I can think of is maybe a central place for Monkyes who have to evacuate, a place or somebody to contact they are ok, so we at least know everybody is safe.  Maybe an email, a phone number or some way  somebody can track and relate each and every Monkey is safe.  I know if I don't know, it will make me sick to my stomoach  with worry.   I'd even give my my phone # for those to call and provide updates if necessary.   I am really surprised at how many here are so close to the danger and it may be hard to know who, especially the newbies, who is in danger.   I understand this may be difficult for those displaced, but I would like to figure out something with everybody's ideas.

This may sound silly or too difficult, but I'm open to suggestions.  I want to know ALL is safe, and then send anything necessary to help those in need.

Love ya all and please stay safe!

This is what I would expect and do with my own family and I consider you all family, so need to know you are all fine.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 01:21:51 AM »

Shell just mentioned something over in the Caylee thread.

If you evacuate, be sure to take your FAMILY PHOTOS.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 01:25:29 AM »

This is a great idea Klaas.  I will use dihannah1@yahoo.com.   Though, I am not in a position to take anybody in, due to remodeling, I will send any neccesities, so plese do NOT hesitate to ask, we are family.

One other thing I can think of is maybe a central place for Monkyes who have to evacuate, a place or somebody to contact they are ok, so we at least know everybody is safe.  Maybe an email, a phone number or some way  somebody can track and relate each and every Monkey is safe.  I know if I don't know, it will make me sick to my stomoach  with worry.   I'd even give my my phone # for those to call and provide updates if necessary.   I am really surprised at how many here are so close to the danger and it may be hard to know who, especially the newbies, who is in danger.   I understand this may be difficult for those displaced, but I would like to figure out something with everybody's ideas.

This may sound silly or too difficult, but I'm open to suggestions.  I want to know ALL is safe, and then send anything necessary to help those in need.

This is what I would expect and do with my own family and I consider you all family, so need to know you are all fine.

Well along those lines, a message can always get to us via me, Red, Dana or Dugga.

klaasend@scaredmonkeys.com
red@scaredmonkeys.com
dana@scaredmonkeys.com
dugga@scaredmonkeys.com

See a pattern in the email addresses, LOLOL.    Easy to remember.  You can even send emails from many phones. 
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 01:30:45 AM »

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/louisiana/neworleans/bourbonstreet/

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 01:38:01 AM »

Above link for cam says live, but I can't tell if it is or not.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 01:41:30 AM »

http://neworleanswebsites.com/cat/en/lc/lc.html

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 01:44:15 AM »

traffic looks backed up on the I10 and 610 split.

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 02:11:10 AM »

Well along those lines, a message can always get to us via me, Red, Dana or Dugga.

klaasend@scaredmonkeys.com
red@scaredmonkeys.com
dana@scaredmonkeys.com
dugga@scaredmonkeys.com

See a pattern in the email addresses, LOLOL.    Easy to remember.  You can even send emails from many phones. 

True that.  Late afterthought, if they can email, then they should be able to post.

Hey, I feel left out!  I wanna @scaredmonkeys.com email addy too       j/k

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
GabbyG
Scared Monkey

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 02:24:49 AM »

Prayers for all of you facing this monster storm. I will be praying consistently throughout the days and nights ahead until this is over.
Sneed's words are haunting me:  This is the storm of the century......

If I can help in any way just message me at njackson1245@neto.com

Please Angels, watch over all our lost children.

My Emmy, my ears. I am deaf and my Lab Emmy hears for me, and does her job well! She is my fur baby and is much loved. Applaud our working animals, they have earned it.

"A lie told a thousand times becomes the truth" -- Joran van der Sloot
GabbyG
Scared Monkey

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 02:32:52 AM »

You're right Dihannah1...if they can E mail they can probably post. That's why I am thinking it would be a good idea for those having to evacuate to send some of us posting E mails a message soon and get a phone # for contact later when they arent able to keep contact by posting. That way they could give someone a call to keep us all updated regarding their safety as I know that a lot of us Monkeys are going to be worrying about our missing Monkeys until this is over.
My prayers are with all of you.

Please Angels, watch over all our lost children.

My Emmy, my ears. I am deaf and my Lab Emmy hears for me, and does her job well! She is my fur baby and is much loved. Applaud our working animals, they have earned it.

"A lie told a thousand times becomes the truth" -- Joran van der Sloot
crazybabyborg
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 03:24:07 AM »

Slapping my head here.................Thanks Klaas for posting the e-mail addresses! I can be contacted with this e-mail addy:

crazybabyborg@scaredmonkeys.com

There are a lot of folks being flown from New Orleans to Knoxville, and I'm thinking of going down to help out for a day. If there is anything at all I can do for any monkey, just e-mail me!!

I said anything, but a large pet might prove difficult, right now. But I'd figure it out for a monkey! 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.