March 29, 2024, 08:53:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lipstick on a Pig - weigh in here for an informal poll  (Read 11247 times)
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 05:53:32 AM »

bair=bait

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 06:48:18 AM »

i think it is pretty obvious what's going on here.
every day the MSM doesn't talk about the political differences between Obama and McCain.
and the simularities between McCain and Bush.

that's a good day for McCain.

so they invent false uproars.
and the MSM takes the bait everytime.

but McCain can do this only once of twice more and then it is going to backfire huge.

caesu - can you explain to me why Biden said Hillary would have made a better VP than he for Obama?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD3Yk9RZRF0 this is the first part of the interview that appeared last night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAlxUChYpj4&feature=related part 2
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:57:30 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

I continue to stand with the girl.
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 07:57:46 AM »

every day the MSM doesn't talk about the political differences between Obama and McCain.

and the MSM takes the bair everytime.

but McCain can do this only once of twice more and then it is going to backfire huge.

caesu - can you explain to me why Biden said Hillary would have made a better VP than he for Obama?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD3Yk9RZRF0 this is the first part of the interview that appeared last night

he said she is as qualified as he is.

and might have been a better pick as VP.
to win the election that is.

but Obama didn't choose a VP to win the election. that's what McCain did.

i wasn't too impressed by the ABC interview.
she didn't know what the Bush doctrine was for example.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_Doctrine

and no questions about the numerous controversies surrounding her.
but i believe the interview is split up over three days?

memphis
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 11:11:29 AM »

caesu, I can gtd you that the msm is biased towards Obama, not McCain.

Also, if you think Obama did not choose a running mate to win the election you are very naive.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »

Direst insult.

No way around that.  The expression is "Perfume on a pig" but he modified it to reflect Palin's statement about the hockey moms.  It is sort of sad to the the presidential candidate so concerned about the vice-presidential one. 

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
memphis
Monkey Junky

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 11:29:39 AM »

Direst insult.

No way around that.  The expression is "Perfume on a pig" but he modified it to reflect Palin's statement about the hockey moms.  It is sort of sad to the the presidential candidate so concerned about the vice-presidential one. 

Hi Anna! I didn't realize that the phrase was actually "perfume on a pig". He really did intend to insult.
It is pathetic how they are so concerned with Palin, but I suspect the new strategy will be to ignore her and not mention her.
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 12:18:53 PM »

caesu, I can gtd you that the msm is biased towards Obama, not McCain.

Also, if you think Obama did not choose a running mate to win the election you are very naive.

if Obama would have chosen a running mate to win the election, he would have chosen Hillary.

if the MSM is biased towards Obama.
they should call McCain/Palin on their lies.

for example this Bridge to Nowhere lie, and saying in an ad that Obama wants sex education for kindergarten kids - in fact it is to make children aware of sex offenders.

memphis
Monkey Junky

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 12:35:30 PM »

if Obama would have chosen a running mate to win the election, he would have chosen Hillary.
if the MSM is biased towards Obama.
they should call McCain/Palin on their lies.

for example this Bridge to Nowhere lie, and saying in an ad that Obama wants sex education for kindergarten kids - in fact it is to make children aware of sex offenders.

So, why do you think he picked Biden? Was it because Biden's thinking aligned so closely with his own?
I suspect Obama is regretting not picking Hillary now. Hence the big "buddy up" to Bill Clinton.
I guess he's just not as smart and savvy as everyone thought. Wink
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 03:46:24 PM »

Barack Obama picked Joe Biden to help him lead the country.
John McCain picked Sarah Palin to win an election.

with Hillary Obama would have a better chance of winning the election.
but Obama looks a bit more ahead than McCain.
who he actually wants as VP, not just running-mate.
not just a short-term strategy.

i've got a feeling that, if McCain wins (and i doubt that very much)
then after January he will let go of Palin soon.
and nominate Lieberman for VP.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 04:38:40 PM »

Anna is correct, originally the term began as perfume on a pig, only in recent years did I begin to hear the morph into lipstick on a pig. I've used the term in business prior myself, not recently but years ago, typically when discussing an ugly business situation one has to fix or remedy.

In rambling around on MSN there was a feed of political cartoons - lipsticks on pigs.

The more I see, the more I think it's important we open our eyes to the impact of this. When McCain used the term it was not within a slam against another candidate but rather against a health program that had not panned out. Obama couched his lipstick on pig comment within direct criticism of his opponents in this race. That was his mistake, it was also his freudian slip.

The details matter, that's where the clarity emerges and the lessons are learned.

I am attaching a sampling of the cartoons, one might surprise you for the tables were turned on Obama, and yes by a male cartoonist. I saved that one for last.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 04:52:26 PM »

caesu - one more point I'm not sure you would have heard if you don't live in the US, but Obama didn't want ANY VP who was interested in running in another 4 years for the presidency.

He backed himself into a corner with that one, his error.

Hillary will run against him in four years if he's elected, she will run against whoever is elected in 4 years. Now Obama's had to ask for more of their help and I really do not want the Clintons in office again but Obama has really opened that door wide now.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 01:00:20 AM »

Glenn Beck of CNN presented this today, so like caesu's posts of rebuttals to slams against Obama, let's give Palin equal opportunity.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/11/beck.palin

Commentary: The Sarah Palin smear-fest

By Glenn Beck
CNN

Editor's note: Glenn Beck is on CNN Headline News nightly at 7 and 9 ET and also is host of a conservative national radio talk show.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Campaigns are ugly. Watching the way politicians act makes you long for the respect and self-control of the Sopranos. Throughout, there are legitimate attacks and outright lies.

Every once in a while, I get a call on my radio show from someone telling me that Barack Obama is secretly a Muslim, who admitted it in an interview with George Stephanopoulos, and has a fake birth certificate. No, no, and no. As I tell them, there are legitimate reasons not to vote for Barack Obama, no need to make them up.

But the newest target is Sarah Palin. Let's take a quick look at just a fraction of what she has faced in her first few days as John McCain's choice for vice president. iReport.com: Do you think Palin is being treated unfairly?

"Sarah Palin believes God told her to go to war with Iraq!"

There has been some hard-core journalistic malpractice on this one. The Associated Press ran this headline about a speech she gave at her church: "Palin: Iraq war 'a task that is from God'"

In the story, they omit the first part of the sentence they're quoting along with the entire previous sentence for good measure.

Here are her actual words: "Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending them out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan."

Palin is clearly praying that we're doing the right thing in Iraq, something sensible for an introspective woman of faith concerned about the lives of our troops to do. She's not saying that she just received a text message from heaven's BlackBerry ordering her to launch missiles. Sorry to disappoint you.

And for those of you who think politicians asking God for guidance is offensive, might I remind you of this famous politician's prayer:

"Give me the wisdom to do what is right and just. And make me an instrument of your will." --Barack Obama

"She has no experience!"

It's fair to assume that Barack Obama believed he was qualified to be in the White House when he announced he was running for president. At that point, he had been a U.S. Senator for 767 days. When Sarah Palin was announced as a vice presidential candidate, she had been the governor of Alaska for 634 days.

While I'm sure those extra 133 days were filled with personal discovery, I can't imagine anyone seriously trying to make the case that Obama is experienced and Palin isn't.

Unless, of course, you're Matt Damon, who said a Palin presidency would be a really "scary thing" because she has been "governor of Alaska for...for less than two years!" (Damon originally expressed his presidential preference for Obama in December 2006, when he had been a senator for less than two years.)

More importantly, Palin's career has been filled with executive experience. She's the only one of the four in this race who has run a business, town, and/or state (a state that gives her crucial energy experience in the middle of an energy crisis).

When Obama's campaign complains that Palin would be one heartbeat away from the presidency, they should consider that their candidate would be zero heartbeats away.

"But Obama is running a huge campaign -- Palin was just a small town mayor!"

Believe it or not, this one was actually trotted out by Obama himself.

"My understanding is, is that Gov. Palin's town of Wasilla has, I think, 50 employees. We've got 2,500 in this campaign. I think the budget is maybe $12 million a year. We have a budget of about three times that just for the month."

Apparently, Barack missed that she's become the governor of Alaska in the interim. Why would he compare his current duties with her former duties?

Well, since he announced his candidacy, Barack Obama has raised about $22 million a month. That's a large organization for sure, unless you are directly comparing it to Sarah Palin, who is handling state revenues that are about 61 times as large, or more than $1.3 billion per month.

"Palin only supports abstinence to be taught in sex-ed!"

This claim is usually followed by a super classy comment about her daughter and the use of contraception, but the premise is false. Palin hasn't said she doesn't want condoms discussed in sex-ed, calling their discussion "relatively benign."

"I'm pro-contraception, and I think kids who may not hear about it at home should hear about it in other avenues. So I am not anti-contraception. But, yeah, abstinence is another alternative that should be discussed with kids. I don't have a problem with that," Palin said. Hers is hardly an extreme point of view in America today.

"If she cares about children with special needs, then why did she cut spending on them by 62 percent?"

Actually, Palin almost tripled their funding in only three years from $26,900 per student to $73,840 per student.

Incidentally, the amount of government money you spend on a specific group doesn't equal the amount you care for that group, but that's another story for another column.

All of these represent just a small percentage of the bizarre collection of claims being thrown at Palin by her opponents and some in the media -- who are desperately hoping something will stick. I leave you with my favorite so far: The Internet rumors that she harbors racism against Eskimos. If true, she sure has a strange way of expressing it -- her husband, Todd, is half Yupik Inuit Eskimo.

To balance that out, she must really love his other half.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the writer.

snoopy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2008, 01:59:40 AM »

direct insult but I think Sarah or should I say the soon to be
Vice President Palin can handle it.   
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2008, 08:52:31 AM »

yes she will snoopy, but I am very concerned about the sexist nature of Obama's insults now, particularly since he is a diversity candidate. He of all people should know the damage of that to the psyche of women and also it's impact on youth who are listening.

I learned something last year that supports some of this as a concern in our society. A team member went to HR to report an executive for "sexually harrassing" me. I thought I could handle it alone, had not even discussed it with others, just trying to manage through it. But I began my career in management straight out of college many years ago, and this was the first time I had experienced harrassment like this since the early 80's.

So how far have we really come? I think not very far in light of Obama's insults.

That truly disturbs me so I do welcome MSM slapping his hand or his mouth publicly for it.

SteveDinMD
Scared Monkey

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2008, 11:44:35 PM »

none, I think it was just very poor timing for an over used phrase.  Every politician seems to put their foot in mouth these days.

I tend not to get too excited over comments made by any candidate when it comes to "garbage" type comments.

"Lipstick on a pig" is, in fact, something of a well-known metaphor.  Nevertheless, it is obvious that Obama, through his remark, intended to ridicule Sarah Palin by drawing what he considered to be a witty parallel to Palin's lipstick on a pit bull line given during her triumphant televised address at the Republican National Convention.  Moreover, by continuing to defend his remark, he only digs himself into a deeper hole by allowing the public see him stubbornly defend a transparent lie.  He should have simply and quickly apologized for an "honest mistake;" (dishonestly) claimed that no disrespect was intended; and admit that in retrospect he can understand how his remarks could be seen as insensitive. 

This was a major political blunder for Obama.  For those who claim otherwise, consider this.  What if McCain had criticized Obama's new "Kill the Terrorists" policy using another well-known metaphor -- "Monkey see; monkey do?"  Does anyone in the World deny that it would have been a major story among the national media for weeks?  McCain would have been relentlessly criticized and denounced as a "racist."  What makes Obama's blunder, though, far more politically damaging to him than my hypothetical blunder would have been to McCain is the fact that Obama desperately needs the voters he chose to ridicule -- white females.  If Obama keeps this up, he's going to be buried in the November election, and deservedly so. 
crazybabyborg
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2008, 12:16:36 AM »

There's no doubt in my mind it was a clever quip directed at undermining Palin's hocky mom remark. Watch the clip. Obama's audience took it that way, and that was the way it was intended.

I'm far more concerned with what None has brought up in the article she posted. Charlie Gibson's tone with Palin was WAY out of line, IMO, and I have never seen Obama or Biden interviewed with that "I'm the Principal and you're the student in trouble so you had better pass this quiz" attitude. PLEASE NOTE that the "Bush Doctrine" is NOT written anywhere. It is not a penned document from President Bush, or anyone else in President Bush's cabinet or administration and when she first answered "his world view", she was more accurate than when Charlie Gibson went on to define it. The only clue is that Gibson did caveat his definition with "MY UNDERSTANDING is............" I saw an Obama supporter, Washington Post reporter, that has covered Politics for 20 years say that the question was really ridiculous because the "Bush Doctrine" means a lot of things to a lot of people and it is, at best, a vague concept.

That interview went on to include this question to her: Do you think our participation in Iraq is a Holy War? Please, somebody tell me since when is it a social feaux paux to pray for our troops, or to actually attend a church where acknowledging God's Will is preferred over screaming racist's epitaphs and damning your country?

I'm asking: Has anyone ever seen Barbara Walters on The View, or ABC's Charlie Gibson conduct an interview with  Obama or Biden with the same dismissive annoyance and veracity as they approached Palin or McCain?
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2008, 09:48:49 PM »

The Palin bounce ~

Musings in the middle
Palin's swing-state appeal

Steve Gruber
Monday, September 15, 2008

I am not sure what to make of all I am hearing on the nightly news on the major networks and the endless blathering from talking heads on cable, but it does not match up with what I am hearing here in the middle.

I live in one of those small towns that seems to have become the laughing stock of the pontificating class living on the coasts. I live in a place where families venture to small farms on weekends to pick apples and raspberries. It's a place where people go to football on Friday nights, and yes, church on Sundays. I live in a place where boys and girls hunt and fish and are not ashamed to say so. I live right here in the middle in a place called Michigan.

Most of the educated class tell me Michigan will certainly go for Sen. Barack Obama this November, and if I am somehow not in lockstep with that I must be some sort of Neanderthal. Well, it seems Mr. Obama and the Harvard crew have forgotten a couple of important things: 1) Despite our low-rent, fly-over status we still have the right to vote; and 2) We really don't like being insulted by people who look down their noses at us.

This brings us to Gov. Sarah Palin, the newly selected vice presidential nominee for John McCain. I, like some 37 million other Americans, tuned in with great interest to see what she was all about last week. Twenty minutes or so into her first prime-time national speech, I felt a smile crossing my face. It was not because she had offered some new compelling proposal of great impact or had lined up with me on some close-to-my-heart issue. No, I smiled because for the first time in too many years to remember I was looking at the real thing. I was looking at a genuine American with a real story who took great joy in the pitfalls of life. She did not make excuses or try to take on the mantel of being a victim. No, she stood up and said she was blessed by the challenges of having a Down syndrome baby and a teenage daughter about to make her a grandmother at 44.

She lives in the world most of us do with good days and bad and with tough decisions that have to be made, regardless of who's happy about it and who's not. I felt a kinship for this woman and for her courage to stand up for a country she believes is the epitome of greatness and not the country to blame for everything that goes wrong in the world. I felt good about myself and my country when she was done. I was proud to be an American where a working mom could stand up and challenge the establishment and actually make a difference.

Over the past few days polls have appeared showing Mr. McCain has benefitted from his unexpected choice of Mrs. Palin and the race is tilting in his direction. Meanwhile, the talking heads blather on about her "energizing the base and exciting Republicans." News flash from the middle: Mrs. Palin has gone far beyond the base with her appeal.

In just the last three days I have spoken to three women I know fairly well. Without exception, all three repeated a similar story and here it is: I have not been focusing that much on the election, but I had been thinking I would vote for Mr. Obama because I am tired of George W. Bush. But after seeing Mrs. Palin speak and then the way she has been treated, I am voting for her. Voting for her, they said! Two of them are actually taking it one step farther and organizing fund-raising events! Here in Michigan, like many other swing states, we take our hunting and fishing seriously - and that includes Republicans, Democrats, independents, Libertarians, and Green Party members. It includes doctors, lawyers, teachers, laborers and union members, and the list goes on. I was quite sure those who live exclusively on concrete would sneer at Mrs. Palin's time spent hunting with her father and running fishing boats off the coast of Alaska, but for many of us that resonates in a very real and positive way. We respect people who join us in the woods or on the water. We identify with them as real and reliable.

In Michigan more than two million people bought hunting or fishing licenses last year. That represents 20 percent of all residents. Listen closely to the next part: Pennsylvania sells significantly more! And guess what tens of thousands of those license holders are - believe it or not - women. Women that we respect and would vote for.

Mr. Obama would do well not to dismiss the millions of Americans who hunt and fish every year in this country and the small towns and places we represent, because I guarantee you on Election Day we show up in great numbers. This year we have a new reason and a new champion of our values and she should not be trifled with.

Meanwhile, back on television the commentators continue to downplay her significance and try to put light on any scandal they can find. So far, that seems to be coming up empty, while the women in my small town are falling in line with Mr. McCain and the "former mayor of a small town." By the way, the men are with their wives on this one, too. The earth has shifted here in the middle and it's not likely to shift back.

I predict that for the first time in many elections, Michigan will be going into the red column this November. This son of a working mom knows what he learned from his mother (who loves to fish) many years ago; when a woman makes up her mind it is almost impossible to ever change it back. Trust me on this one.

P.S. The only pigs that should concern themselves at this point with lipstick are those of the male-chauvinist kind.

Steve Gruber owns Wolf Creek Productions, which specializes in outdoor adventure programming. He hosts two nationally syndicated television programs on The Outdoor Channel and a weekend talk show on WJR radio in Detroit.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/sep/15/musings-in-the-middle/

Sara Palin could be a member of my family, or my friend.  She is just a regular person.  She could even be a Democrat.  She almost reminds me of Jimmy Carter.  jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2008, 09:19:52 AM »

I'm not getting excited over anyones comments.
I do, however, think Obama is way too smart to have just accidentally used that phrase. Nope, it was directed at SP.

absoulutely 100% agree Memphis.  He knew what he was saying

Maine, born and raised!
Bebesc
Scared Monkey

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »

Could have been a slip by Obama but it was taken by the audience who rose and cheered as a direct insult to Palin
crazybabyborg
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2008, 01:16:08 PM »

Could have been a slip by Obama but it was taken by the audience who rose and cheered as a direct insult to Palin

Glad you weighed in with your first post, Bebesc! WELCOME TO SM ! 
Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.