April 23, 2024, 09:04:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jennifer Lee Hampton, 21, AL -Missing 9/17/08 Knoxville BODY FOUND-Suspect in Custody  (Read 14739 times)
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: September 25, 2008, 04:26:09 PM »

Search continues in Knoxville for missing Ala. woman

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 10:44 AM

Updated: Sep 22, 2008 06:36 PM
KNOXVILLE (WATE) -- Officers continued their search Monday for a missing Alabama woman who disappeared in Knoxville at the end of last week.

Investigators believe Jennifer Lee Hampton, 21, of Florence, Alabama, may be the victim of foul play.

Nearly four dozen officers searched the Turkey Creek area across from the Days Inn where Hampton was last seen around 9:00 p.m. on September 19.

A search of a marsh and creek in the area came up empty Monday. Police believe that area is the most likely place someone would dispose of evidence.

Hampton worked for a restaurant chain called Mama Blues. She was in Knoxville on a four day business trip to help with employee training and the opening of the new location at 9647 Kingston Pike.

"Please, please let her come home. Please," says her mother, Cynthia Senn. She says she and Jennifer talked several times a day.

"She talked about coming home, going to the fair, missing home," Senn says.

She left Mama Blue's around 8:30 Friday night and headed to the Days Inn where she was last seen.

"They decided they wanted to go to McDonald's to go get something to eat. They got back around 9:00 or 9:15 and he walked her to her room and made she got in and closed the door," says Mama Blues owner Steve Barnhill, of the events before Jennifer's disappearance.

Hampton went to McDonald's with a co-worker. She was in a different room than her co-workers.

The Days Inn was busy with football fans, but friends and the police don't believe she would've willingly left her room.

"She doesn't smoke, drink, go to bars. That's just not the type of person she is," Barnhill says.

"Right now, it's a process of elimination," says police spokesman Darrell DeBusk. "We are trying to go through every area to make sure there is nothing there. That gives our investigators time, too, to develop other information, other leads."

Hampton is 5'3" and 110 lbs. with a  thin build. She has brown hair and brown eyes.

Mama Blues Restaurant is offering a $5,000 reward for any information that leads to Hampton's  recovery.

Anyone who may have seen Hampton or any unusual activity around the Lovell Road area either late Friday night or Saturday is asked to call investigators at (865)-215-7014.

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=9050401&nav=menu7_6_3

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 04:28:30 PM »

Woman missing from Lovell motel

Thu, Sep, 25, 2008
Jennifer Lee Hampton, a 21-year-old Florence, Ala., woman, disappeared from Day’s Inn off Lovell Road Friday night, Sept. 19.

Hampton and three co-workers were in town to train new employees of Mama Blues Buffet.

Hampton, staying in room 146, was last seen around 9 p.m.

According to Knoxville Police Department Public Information Officer Darryl Debusk, as of presstime Tuesday, officers have found evidence to suggest Hampton was a victim of foul play.

“We discovered some evidence on Saturday that would indicate that it’s possible that she has been a victim of foul play.”

Debusk could not say what evidence KPD had found, but did correct a rumor KPD had recovered her vehicle and purse.

“There was some erroneous information put out by one of the local media outlets that we had recovered her purse and car and all kinds of stuff, and that was unfortunate.

“That’s just not accurate information,” Debusk said.

Monday morning, more than four dozen KPD officers and recruits formed a search grid of the wooded area between Lovell Road and the Turkey Creek development.

“We were doing a grid search in the wetland area … there’s also a walkway trail that goes through that area,” Debusk said.

“We also had the rescue squad that responded with some of their boats and divers and we’re looking in and around some of the ponds and the deep area of the creek that runs along the trail,” he added.

According to Debusk, KPD has marked some evidence sites through the woods, but has uncovered nothing concretely connected to Hampton.

“We’ve found a few things that we’ve marked that we cannot at this time say is connected … nothing that solidly ties to this case,” Debusk said.

He was not sure of the location of the next search grid.

“We are continuing our investigation. We have conducted numerous interviews … we are working with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.

“They are examining some evidence that we recovered,” Debusk said.

Saturday, KPD arrested two employees of the Day’s Inn, but on unrelated charges, Debusk said.

Monday afternoon, Mama Blues Buffet offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to Hampton’s recovery.

Hampton has brown hair and brown eyes, was born June 28, 1987, and is 5-feet-3-inches tall.

KPD is asking anyone with information on Hampton or with knowledge of suspicious activity in the area to call 865-215-7014.

http://www.farragutpress.com/articles/2008/09/9100.html

pmadams
Scared Monkey

My Little Monkey

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 06:08:48 AM »

I live in the Knoxville area and this has really saddened me. There is very little media coverage and the police, in my opinion, just seem to be running around in circles. Anyone have any updates on this?

http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/29743214.html
pmadams
Scared Monkey

My Little Monkey

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 06:17:42 AM »

Sorry, I didn't know a post had already been started for this case. I looked, but somehow missed it!
pmadams
Scared Monkey

My Little Monkey

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 06:25:17 AM »

I started another post about this case because I didn't see this one. I live in the Knoxville area, pretty close to where Jennifer disappeared, and this really makes me sad. That area is generally a pretty good area, but there are a ton of truck drivers that come right through there.
I am surprised that there is not more media coverage on this. I think they try to keep things like this quiet in Knoxville, trying to hide any negative images of Knoxville.
pmadams
Scared Monkey

My Little Monkey

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 10:46:36 AM »

http://www.wate.com/global/story.asp?s=9077162
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 01:06:38 PM »

Search for missing AL woman leads authorities to Ft. Loudoun Lake

Updated: 9/26/2008 10:05:54 AM 

It's been nearly a week since a young Alabama woman went missing. Jennifer Hampton, 21, was last seen Friday night at her hotel. She was in Knoxville to help set up a restaurant here.

The search has now made its way south to Fort Loudoun Lake near Northshore Drive. Thursday, Knoxville Police searched near Cedar Bluff Center, based on tips from the community.

Hampton's family and an attorney are set to make a statement on the search for their daughter, this afternoon.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=64843&provider=rss

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 01:10:07 PM »

Sorry, I didn't know a post had already been started for this case. I looked, but somehow missed it!

No problem, I just merged them.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 09:00:11 PM »

Family of missing Alabama woman seeks help while search goes on
2 men questioned at Days Inn, where Jennifer Hampton stayed, arrested on bogus IDs

Updated 03:09 p.m., September 26, 2008

Tears flowed at a press conference held this afternoon by the Alabama family of 21-year-old Jennifer Lee Hampton, who disappeared sometime Friday night or early Saturday morning and who police believe is the victim of foul play.

"Whatever I can do to help this family, I'm going to do it," said Eddie Daniel, a Knoxville attorney and former police officer who said he's representing the family free of charge.

Daniel said the family is not wealthy and that SunTrust Bank has set up an account for donations to help them defray the costs of staying in Knoxville. Donors can give money at any branch.

"They want to stay here until their daughter is found," Daniel said.

Daniel corrected what he said was inaccurate information that has been disseminated in some media as the case has gotten national attention, including a comment that Hampton expressed concern to a boyfriend about two men Friday night outside her room at the Days Inn on Lovell Road.

Daniel said the last family member Hampton spoke with was her mother, Cynthia Senn, around 11:30 p.m. Friday.

She has "no formal boyfriend," Daniel said, and spoke to her mother "seven or eight times a day. … This is a very close family."

Hampton's mother, stepfather Tim Senn, fraternal twin Michelle Hampton, younger sister Jessica and grandmother Shairee Dorrill are in Knoxville. A third sister is on her way.

Hampton's mother was in tears the moment she walked into this afternoon's meeting with reporters, and her sisters wept throughout the press conference. Daniel said Cynthia Senn hasn't slept in three days and has been prescribed medication to help her sleep.

Family members didn't speak at the press conference, but Daniel asked anyone with information to contact authorities or him, and to consider donating to the SunTrust fund.

"Whether it be 50 cents or a dollar," Daniel said. "These folks work and won't be able to work. They're incurring expenses every day. … They have very limited resources and want to stay in Knoxville."

Hampton's mother drove to Knoxville as soon as she learned of her daughter's disappearance and arrived Saturday afternoon, Daniel said.

The search continues

Authorities this morning established a command center in West Knox County to search bodies of water for a 21-year-old Alabama woman who has been missing for a week.

Police suspect foul play in the disappearance of Jennifer Lee Hampton but haven't released details of what led them to that conclusion.

"Her room was in disarray," Knoxville Police Department Investigator Steve Still said. "That's all I'll say."

Searchers with the KPD and the Knoxville Volunteer Emergency Rescue Squad at 8 a.m. started combing the banks of lakes between Carl Cowan Park off Northshore Drive and the Tennessee River up to the Pellissippi Parkway bridge, KPD spokesman Darrell DeBusk said this morning.

"It's not that we have any specific information about those areas, but we're trying to eliminate areas," DeBusk said.

DeBusk said searchers will scan the area from boats and with people combing through the shoreline brush. A cadaver dog also has been enlisted in the search, police said.

Hampton was reported missing Saturday when she failed to meet with co-workers helping to open the new Mama Blue's Buffet restaurant in West Knoxville. Hampton and three other people were training new employees for the restaurant.

Hampton was staying in the Days Inn on Lovell Road. She was last seen about 9 p.m. Friday.

"I've talked with her family at length," Daniel said. "This is a very nice young lady. … She did absolutely nothing wrong."

Two illegal immigrants questioned

When Still began investigating the case, he questioned two employees of the Days Inn. He determined both Hispanic men were illegal immigrants, although they presented him with Social Security cards indicating they were legal residents.

"I charged them with forgery," Still said. "That stems from the bogus Social Security cards they had on them."

Still said the cards were such good counterfeits that most people would be fooled by the documents.

"I held theirs up to mine and you can't hardly tell the difference," he said. After questioning, both men admitted to being illegally in the country, Still said.

DeBusk said the men were booked into a Knox County jail under the names of Rogelio Melchor, 38, and Valentino Miranda, 19. He stressed that authorities have not yet determined if those are their real identities. Both men gave addresses in Knoxville.

Both men are being held without bond on orders of the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency.

More details as they develop online and in Saturday's news Sentinel.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/sep/26/missing-alabama-womans-family-speak-search-continu/?partner=RSS

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 12:43:26 AM »

Oh no. My heart sank when I started reading the details of this case.
My prayers go out to this nice young woman and her family.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
pmadams
Scared Monkey

My Little Monkey

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 08:30:31 AM »

I hate to say this, but it appears to me that they suspect she is no longer alive. If they are searching bodies of water, they are looking for a body, not a live person, correct?
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 11:30:19 AM »

Affirmative

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 12:09:43 PM »

Woman's body found in Melton Hill Lake
Updated: Sep 27, 2008 11:45 AM EDT

SOLWAY (WATE) -- Knox County Sheriff's Office Spokeswoman Martha Dooley says crews pulled a woman's body from Melton Lake near the Solway Bridge in Oak Ridge in Anderson County Saturday morning.

According to Knoxville Police, a fisherman spotted the woman's body in the lake around 8:30 A.M. and notified authorities.

Police spokesman Darrell Debusk says crews pulled the body of a young woman from the lake a short time later.

Debusk says the body has been sent for a forensics examination to determine the woman's identity. An autopsy is also scheduled to determine the cause of death. Authorities say autopsy results could come back sometime Saturday or Sunday.

Knoxville police have been searching for a missing Alabama woman since last Saturday. There's no word on whether these two cases are related, however, the family of 21-year-old Jennifer Lee Hampton has been notified of the discovery.

The Hampton family attorney, Eddie Daniel, released this statement Saturday: "We hope and pray this is not Jennifer. And if it's not, we hope and pray for the woman's family," said Daniel. "The Hampton family does not feel up to talking."

The Knoxville Police, the Knox County Sheriff's Office, the Oak Ridge Police Department and the Anderson County Sheriff's Department are all assisting in the investigation.

6 News will update this story as additional information becomes available.
http://www.wate.com/global/story.asp?s=9084185

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 12:11:50 PM »

Woman's body, fitting description of missing Alabama waitress, found in Clinch River

Posted: 9:14 AM Sep 27, 2008
Last Updated: 10:51 AM Sep 27, 2008
KNOXVILLE, Tenn (WVLT) -- A body of a woman found by a fisherman in the Clinch River around 8:35 a.m. Saturday morning, has been removed from the water and taken to UT Forensics for an autopsy.

The body was found in the river, but near the shore in an area off Edgemoor Road near a park. It was found about 500 yards from an electronic billboard along Pellissippi Parkway with a large picture of missing Alabama waitress Jennifer Hampton, 21.

The location where the body was found is about six miles from the Days Inn where Hampton was last seen on September 19th.

KPD spokesperson Darrell DeBusk said that Knoxville Police officers have been in contact with Hampton's family, but said he could not confirm if the body is that of Hampton.

Eddie Daniel, the attorney representing Hampton's family says he is aware of the police activity but declined further comment.

However, sources tell VolunteerTV.com the body is that of a woman that fits the description of Hampton.

Asked why Knoxville Police is involved in an investigation out of their jurisdiction, DeBusk said there is a possibility it's Hampton, and if that's the case Anderson County wants KPD to work the case.

Police say it's to early to determine a cause of death.

A search and recovery team was on the scene, as are police teams with dogs working the area.

The body was placed into a waiting ambulance and removed from the scene around 11:30 a.m.

Police cleared the scene just before noon.

Volunteer TV News has two crews on scene.

Stay connected to Volunteer TV news and volunteertv.com for continued coverage of this developing news story.
http://www.volunteertv.com/news/headlines/29837814.html

Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 01:29:46 PM »

Jennifer Lee Hampton, 21, Missing in Knoxville, TN Since 9/19/08 … Police Suspect Foul Play (UPDATE: Body Found in Clinch River)

http://missingexploited.com/2008/09/26/jennifer-lee-hampton-21-missing-in-knoxville-tn-since-91908-police-suspect-foul-play-update-body-found-in-clinch-river/

Sad, but not unexpected.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 09:30:17 PM »

Family of missing Alabama woman to hold press conference
Updated: 9/28/2008 8:58:24 PM 

The family of missing Alabama woman, Jennifer Lee Hampton, plans to hold a press conference Monday morning. Their attorney, Eddie Daniel, said their nights have been filled with sleeplessness while they wait for the autopsy results of a body found Saturday morning in the Clinch River.

"I was with the family late last night and again early this morning. The family holds a glimmer of hope that the female found in the water yesterday was not that of Jenny," Daniel said. "However, they realize the probability that the body is Jenny. Arrangements are being made, just in case it is ruled tomorrow positively that it is her."

Also waiting and praying are those who brought Hampton to town: the owners of Mama Blues Cafe, who say they wanted Hampton here to help open their restaurant because, at 21, she was wise beyond her years.

"She was just sweet, very dependable, always to work on time. [She had] a great attitude. She is just a really great person," Mama Blues owner Leslie Barnhill said.

As pending autopsy results hold the key to whether the search for Hampton may soon end, Daniel said closure is still far off, and the pain, no where near its end.

"There's no relief in knowing that your 21-year-old child is dead. It's nowhere near closure. Cyndi Senn, Jennifer's mother, will be at any and all hearings once the suspects or the individuals who did this horrendous crime are brought to justice," he said

One night's disappearance that will haunt loved ones for days to come.

"My heart goes out to them. I can't imagine what they're going through. I know it's got to be tough. My heart goes out to them. I just, i pray for them," Barnhill said.

And no matter what the autopsy results reveal, for Hampton's family, this ordeal is far from over.
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=65066&provider=rss
COMMENTS at the site

pmadams
Scared Monkey

My Little Monkey

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 06:16:13 AM »

You know, I know of another case eerily similar to this one, where a girl in the same age range was found in the exact same area. I believe she was also found nude. And it's only been a few years ago. Does anyone think this could be the "work" of the same person and should police be notified of this? Surely they are already aware of it.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 07:10:58 AM »

Not sure pma....I would have to research it and I don't have time this morning. Will look into it later.

~~~~~~~~~
Autopsy results expected soon after body found in river

Updated: Sep 29, 2008 12:02 AM EDT

We may soon know the identify of a woman who was pulled from a river near Knoxville. For a Shoals family, those autopsy results can't come soon enough.

Jennifer Hampton's family will learn if indeed their daughter's remains have been identified. Understandably, they're too emotional to speak at this time, but have asked their attorney to express their struggle and glimmer of hope.

"There is no relief in knowing that your 21-year-old child is dead. It's nowhere near closure," said attorney Eddie Daniel.

Jennifer Hampton, or Jenny, as her family calls her, traveled to Knoxville to help open a Mama Blues restaurant. A young woman, Hampton made the trip in hopes to make a name for herself.

Hampton's family lives in Florence and traveled to Knoxville when they first heard their daughter was missing. Sunday marks the 9th day since she's been seen last.

Early Saturday morning, the body of a white female was found in a river within miles of the hotel Hampton was staying at while in town.

Her family knows all they can do is pull together during this tough time.

Knoxville police will be holding a news conference tomorrow at 11 a.m. at Daniel's office.

WAFF 48 News has been told that they will have a definitive answer in regards to the investigation ofHampton's disappearance, as well as, the body found in the Clinch River over the weekend.

http://www.waff.com/global/story.asp?s=9088638

pmadams
Scared Monkey

My Little Monkey

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 07:43:53 AM »

Not sure pma....I would have to research it and I don't have time this morning. Will look into it later.

~~~~~~~~~
Autopsy results expected soon after body found in river

Updated: Sep 29, 2008 12:02 AM EDT

We may soon know the identify of a woman who was pulled from a river near Knoxville. For a Shoals family, those autopsy results can't come soon enough.

Jennifer Hampton's family will learn if indeed their daughter's remains have been identified. Understandably, they're too emotional to speak at this time, but have asked their attorney to express their struggle and glimmer of hope.

"There is no relief in knowing that your 21-year-old child is dead. It's nowhere near closure," said attorney Eddie Daniel.

Jennifer Hampton, or Jenny, as her family calls her, traveled to Knoxville to help open a Mama Blues restaurant. A young woman, Hampton made the trip in hopes to make a name for herself.

Hampton's family lives in Florence and traveled to Knoxville when they first heard their daughter was missing. Sunday marks the 9th day since she's been seen last.

Early Saturday morning, the body of a white female was found in a river within miles of the hotel Hampton was staying at while in town.

Her family knows all they can do is pull together during this tough time.

Knoxville police will be holding a news conference tomorrow at 11 a.m. at Daniel's office.

WAFF 48 News has been told that they will have a definitive answer in regards to the investigation ofHampton's disappearance, as well as, the body found in the Clinch River over the weekend.

http://www.waff.com/global/story.asp?s=9088638

Thank you. Here is a link about the other case. I was wrong, it has been more than a few years. It was actually in 2000. Still pretty wierd though, that they were in the same age range and found nude in the same area.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/272uftn.html

Let me know your thoughts on this.
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 11:34:49 AM »

Family believes body found is missing Alabama waitress

UPDATE 9/29/08 11:13 p.m.: KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- Family attorney Eddie Daniel says that Jennifer Hampton's family has enough information to believe that the remains found over the weekend in Melton Hill Lake in Oak Ridge are in fact those of the missing Alabama waitress.

Daniel says the family is making arrangements to have Jenniffer's body taken back to Alabama.

Daniel says, "The family holds out a minuscule amount of hope that the body found in Melton Hill Lake is not that of Jenny," but that they do feel that, unfortunately, it is.

Hampton was in town helping to train employees at a new restaurant called Mama's Blues Buffet. She was staying at the Days Inn on Lovell Road when she went missing on Friday, Sept. 19.

Two illegal immigrants working at the hotel were arrested on forgery charges, but police have not linked them to the case, nor have they been ruled out as suspects.

Knoxville Police Spokesman Darrell DeBusk says no one has been ruled out as a suspect in this case.

http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/29878204.html

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.