April 18, 2024, 10:36:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Retire with Dignity"  (Read 2162 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: September 26, 2008, 09:03:45 AM »

What happened to the Social Security Trust Fund?  Is it in good shape for retirees?  Those retired, near retirement, and future retirees?

How about retirement with peace of mind?  Would you feel safer managing your money in a private account, or leaving it for politicians to maintain and grow?

Where'd the money go?  Is there trust in the system?  Is there any money saved that would qualify as a real 'fund' for present and future retirees? 

Is there a plan for funding the system beyond the next four presidential years?  Any plan to redeem the IOU?

There will always be some who don't need Social Security.  There are many for whom this program is a life line.

The trust fund was emptied years ago-all that remains in an IOU.

Is this any better than losing a privatized Social Security account due to unwise investments?  I have to believe that if there were privatized Social Security accounts, some people would choose prudent investments and diversify.  On the other hand, some would choose unwisely and lose some or all of their money.  Is it better to sow wisely and reap fair rewards?  Gamble with your retirement?  Is a government IOU the best alternative?

When does the gravy train end for Social Security? 

The money in the trust fund is gone, the government is broke and in debt.

If workers had the opportunity to conserve some of that money in private accounts, I believe some, if not most of their contributions over the years would still be there.  Hopefully, the government would not have had the opportunity to dig deep into these resources and leave an IOU.   

None of the candidates seems to be worried about the workers of the past, the workers of the present, and the workers of tomorrow. 

What exactly does 'retire with dignity' mean?  Is this unknown 'dignity' better than the alternative?

What is an acceptable alternative to retiring with 'dignity'?  Perhaps retiring knowing the money you may have contributed for fifty or more years is relatively safe?  Available for your use?  A sense of well being because your house and debts are paid off, and you have money in the bank (or other investment) for retirement?  Politicical hands aren't allowed to dip into your personal cookie jar?

Or, is dignity the continued risky Social Security system as it exists today-one large IOU?  Any plan to repay the fund in sight?

just my humble opinions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 09:06:41 AM »

How do you pay for dignity?

Why not give current workers the opportunity to salt away a fair part of the Social Security deduction in an individual account?  Maybe with a little luck, the money might be there when they retire.

It seems like the contribution goes up and up, and I'm not seeing dignity in the future.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.