March 28, 2024, 01:30:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jack Lee Howe, 87, KS Missing 8/1/2008 Truck found Monday(BODY FOUND)  (Read 10588 times)
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 08:45:46 PM »

Trackers continue search for Winfield resident

August 21, 2008 - 12:12:52 pm
Professional trackers have been back in Grant County, Okla. this week looking for clues in the disappearance of an elderly Winfield man Aug. 1.

Cowley County Undersheriff Don Read said the trackers are working in the same area where Jack Lee Howe's pickup was discovered two days after Howe was last seen exiting the Wal-Mart Supercenter parking lot in Winfield and going south on U.S. 77.

The 1999 blue Ford Ranger with a light colored topper was found on the railroad right-of-way south of Caldwell and the Oklahoma border. A two-day search on both sides of the state line failed to turn up any clues.

The trackers, who were there earlier this week and back again Thursday – and are the same ones who helped find the body of a murdered Arkansas City girl over a year ago – look for footprints or disturbed grass or broken tree limbs - anything that might help authorities determine what happened to the 87-year-old man.

He has lived alone south of Winfield since his wife moved to a nursing home. The Howes' son and daughter live out-of-state but are in town trying to find their dad.

Howe was wearing red suspenders, a blue flannel shirt with long sleeves, a blue baseball cap and blue jeans. He is 5 feet, 8 inches tall and weighs 100 pounds.

http://www.newscow.net/story.php?StoryID=2241

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 03:35:14 PM »

I keep checking Mr. Howe's thread for news.  I really hope we can move the thread to "Found Safe". 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 06:52:13 AM »

ME TOO Muffy!! Oh..and thanks for the updates on Naomi's case!

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 12:34:58 PM »

Extensive search for Howe yields no clues

August 28, 2008 - 5:31:59 pm
Follow up searches for Jack Lee Howe – a Winfield man missing for nearly a month – have been unsuccessful in locating his whereabouts, Cowley County Sheriff's Capt. Bill Mueller said Thursday.

“We searched again and the trackers thought maybe they had found some cane tracks but now they don't know if that's the case,” Mueller said. “At this point we're just following up on any new calls or possible sightings.”

Fliers containing written information about Howe are being circulated in further effort to locate the elderly man.

Trackers were back in Grant County last week searching the area near where Howe's abandoned pickup was found earlier this month. Mueller said authorities had “very thoroughly searched” a five-mile area near where Howe's vehicle was found.

The area was searched by all terrain vehicle, horseback and using a cadaver dog but few, if any, clues were found in the area. Searchers also looked for material items, like a cane or cap, that might have been dropped but found nothing.

An aerial search was conducted to cover a less intensive sweep of an area outside the five-mile radius but Mueller said it was unlikely Howe could reach those areas due to restricted mobility.

Mueller did say that Howe's wallet has not been recovered and was thought to be with him.

“Which would make us believe that if he were picked up by someone along the road he'd have identification with him that would let people know who he is,” he said.

http://www.newscow.net/story.php?StoryID=2277

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 04:48:13 PM »

ONLINE EXTRA - Body of missing man found in cornfield

8/29/2008
The search for a rural Winfield man who dissapeared about a month ago has ended with authorities in Grant County, Okla., finding the body of Jack Lee Howe.

Howe, 87, dissapeared on Friday, Aug. 1, after leaving his home to run errends. He was then reported missing by his neighbor Lela Bright.

Howe was found around 8 p.m. in a cornfield on Thursday evening by a farmer, about three quarters of a mile west from where authorities found his truck parked just off U.S. Highway 81, near a set of railroad tracks.

http://winfieldcourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=25806&TM=46672.54

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 06:14:58 PM »

I'm really sorry it's ended this way.     My condolences to Ladyhawker and her family. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 07:35:59 PM »

I am so sorry.

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 11:39:06 AM »

Howe's body found in Oklahoma
Cause of missing man’s death still uncertain

8/29/2008 11:51:00 AM
The search for a rural Winfield man who disappeared about a month ago has ended with authorities in Grant County, Okla., finding the body of Jack Lee Howe on Thursday evening.

Howe was found around 8 p.m. in a cornfield on Thursday evening by a farmer, about three quarters of a mile west from where authorities found his truck.

Howe, 87, disappeared on Aug. 1 after leaving his home at 20783 81st Road to buy a metal bucket for his dogs in Arkansas City.

He was later reported missing by his neighbor Lela Bright, who became suspicious after Howe failed to return home that evening.

But on Aug. 3, authorities from the Grant County Sheriff's Department discovered Howe's abandoned blue 1999 Ford Ranger pick-up parked just off U.S. Highway 81, less than a mile south of the Oklahoma/Kansas border, near a set of railroad tracks and out of the view of passing traffic.

The original search of the surrounding area by Grant, Sumner and Cowley County personnel, along with Kansas Highway Patrol air units, turned up nothing and the search was eventually called off.

Cowley County Sheriff's Department Captain Bill Mueller said when authorities were originally searching for Howe, it wouldn't have been easy to find him since the cornfield was on the brink of harvest time, and the leaves on the corn stalks were thick, making it next to impossible to see him by air, or otherwise.

"It appears that he walked west and, for whatever reason, walked far out into that cornfield," Mueller said. "Grant County officers said you would have had to have been right on top of him to see him."

Muller added that, at this point, the death does not appear to be suspicious, but autopsy results are the only way to be certain.

http://winfieldcourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=25812&TM=46672.54

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 01:21:37 AM »

Sad Sad Sad

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.