April 18, 2024, 09:50:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newsweek's take on the Debate  (Read 5488 times)
Slogger
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 01:41:09 PM »

Soldier's Mother "Ecstatic" about Obama's Bracelet

POSTED: Sunday, September 28, 2008 --- 4:40 p.m.

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- The mother of a Wisconsin soldier who died in Iraq says she was "ecstatic" during Friday's debate when Senator Barack Obama mentioned the bracelet she gave him in honor of her son.

Tracy Jopek of Merrill told The Associated Press on Sunday she was honored that he remembered Sgt. Ryan David Jopek, who was killed in 2006 by a roadside bomb.

She criticized Internet reports that suggested Obama exploited her son for political purposes.

She acknowledges e-mailing the campaign in February asking that Obama not mention her son in speeches or debates.

But she says Obama's mention on Friday was appropriate because he was responding after Senator John McCain said a soldier's mother gave him a bracelet.

Jopek says Obama's comment rightfully suggested there's more than one viewpoint on the war.

http://www.nbc15.com/state/headlines/29864149.html

She acknowledges e-mailing the campaign in February asking that Obama not mention her son in speeches or debates.

February, it's almost October.  Did Obama feel there was an expiration date to the request?  No, he did not.  He merely did it, regardless of the request not to mention in speeches or DEBATES.

Constitution101    hillsdale.edu/constitution/
Courtesy is requested; Respect is Earned.
Pace Yourself, for the LongHaul.  MOs
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 03:16:40 PM »

It was an answer that Tracy Jopek said made her proud.

"His response in the debate was exactly that, a response, after John McCain put it out there first," she said. "I think it was an appropriate response -- he was just saying there's another side to the story, there's two different viewpoints."

Tracy Jopek said she didn't hear the interview but that her ex-husband, who is currently stationed in Cuba, mischaracterized her viewpoint. An e-mail message sent to Brian Jopek through his daughter on Sunday was not immediately returned.

"I think he knew my intention, he understands it was a gesture between me and Sen. Obama," she said. "It was just little piece of peace for us. I don't understand how people can take that and turn it into some garbage on the Internet."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-wi-obama-bracelet,0,6413408.story

Slogger
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 11:55:50 AM »

It was an answer that Tracy Jopek said made her proud.

"His response in the debate was exactly that, a response, after John McCain put it out there first," she said. "I think it was an appropriate response -- he was just saying there's another side to the story, there's two different viewpoints."

Tracy Jopek said she didn't hear the interview but that her ex-husband, who is currently stationed in Cuba, mischaracterized her viewpoint. An e-mail message sent to Brian Jopek through his daughter on Sunday was not immediately returned.

"I think he knew my intention, he understands it was a gesture between me and Sen. Obama," she said. "It was just little piece of peace for us. I don't understand how people can take that and turn it into some garbage on the Internet."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-wi-obama-bracelet,0,6413408.story

From your referenced article:  "MILWAUKEE - After Tracy Jopek gave Sen. Barack Obama a bracelet in honor of her son who was killed in Iraq, she asked Obama not to mention the bracelet on the campaign trail."

The fact remains that the request was made and ignored.

The fact remains that Mr. Jopek was not in favor of Obama/bracelet use.

The fact remains that it was a political "I have one, too" move.

In the face of Obama's inconsistent support for the soldiers, the fact remains that Obama used the bracelet to even-up the field on this issue.

A lack of judgement, it wasn't the right thing to do.

Constitution101    hillsdale.edu/constitution/
Courtesy is requested; Respect is Earned.
Pace Yourself, for the LongHaul.  MOs
Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.