April 26, 2024, 09:02:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acting legend Paul Newman dies at 83  (Read 3315 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« on: September 27, 2008, 11:24:21 AM »

BREAKING NEWS

Spokeswoman says Oscar-winning screen icon has succumbed to cancer

updated 45 minutes ago

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - Paul Newman, the Academy-Award winning superstar who personified cool as an activist, race car driver, popcorn impresario and the anti-hero of such films as "Hud," "Cool Hand Luke" and "The Color of Money," has died, a spokeswoman said Saturday. He was 83.

Newman died Friday after a long battle with cancer at his farmhouse near Westport, publicist Jeff Sanderson said. He was surrounded by his family and close friends.

In May, Newman said he had dropped plans to direct a fall production of "Of Mice and Men," citing unspecified health issues.

He got his start in theater and on television during the 1950s, and went on to become one of the world's most enduring and popular film stars, a legend held in awe by his peers.

10 Oscar nominations
Newman was nominated for Oscars 10 times, winning one regular award and two honorary ones, and had major roles in more than 50 motion pictures, including "Exodus," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "The Verdict," "The Sting" and "Absence of Malice."

Newman worked with some of the greatest directors of the past half century, from Alfred Hitchcock and John Huston to Robert Altman, Martin Scorsese and the Coen brothers.

His co-stars included Elizabeth Taylor, Lauren Bacall, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks and, most famously, Robert Redford, his sidekick in "Butch Cassidy" and "The Sting."

50 years of marriage
He sometimes teamed with his wife and fellow Oscar winner, Joanne Woodward, with whom he had one of Hollywood's rare long-term marriages.

"I have steak at home, why go out for hamburger?" Newman told Playboy magazine when asked if he was tempted to stray.

They wed in 1958, around the same time they both appeared in "The Long Hot Summer," and Newman directed her in several films, including "Rachel, Rachel" and "The Glass Menagerie."

Check back for updates on this developing news story.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26913988/?GT1=43001

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 11:28:46 AM »

More here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obit_newman

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 12:16:53 PM »

Awww.  I'm sorry to see he has passed.  It was hard for me to believe he was 83 years old, because he is such a legend. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 09:40:16 PM »

Actor Paul Newman had numerous ties to Maine

BAR HARBOR, Maine — Although Paul Newman is being hailed around the world as a Hollywood legend after his death Friday, in Maine he is being remembered for his generosity to the College of the Atlantic and for the films he made in the southern half of the state.

People who knew Newman and his wife, actress Joanne Woodward, said over the weekend that they not only gave much to the college, but also to the country.

“In terms of all of the work that they have done for good causes, not just financially, but in really lending their name and really being out in front of social causes is pretty terrific,” former COA President Steve Katona said Saturday. “The world needs more of them.”

Newman, 83, died after a bout with cancer, surrounded by family and friends.

Over the weekend, Newman also was being remembered for the company that he had helped found.

According to the company’s Web site, “Newman’s Own Inc., founded on a lark by Newman and his buddy A.E. Hotchner in 1982, is now (to our own surprise!), a leading (and growing) premium food company that offers more than 150 varieties of delicious all-natural food and beverage products.

“Based in Westport, Conn., the charitable mission of Newman’s Own is expressed in its company motto: ‘Shameless exploitation in pursuit of the Common Good.’ Paul Newman and the Newman’s Own Foundation donate all profits and royalties after taxes for educational and charitable purposes. Paul Newman and the Newman’s Own Foundation have given more than $250 million to thousands of charities worldwide.”

Newman’s ties to COA began in the 1980s with his daughter Nell when she attended COA. She graduated in 1987. She now is president of Newman’s Own Organics.

“During the years that she was a student, they would come up and stay in Bar Harbor and visit her,” Katona said.

A coeducational liberal arts college, College of the Atlantic offers just one undergraduate degree — a Bachelor of Arts in Human Ecology.

Newman donated money to the campus after a fire in 1983 destroyed the library and administration building, along with many of the classrooms. “The fire gave rise to a construction program that included a new classroom building, campus center and dormitory,” The Associated Press wrote in 1997.

Katona said the Newmans also gave money for scientific research at the school. “Including money to buy a beautiful new microscope that at the time the college really needed,” the former college president said.

Since 1985, the Newmans have also provided scholarship support in the amount of $10,000 to COA for students with financial needs. “The college certainly wasn’t the center of their attention, it was one of many, many things that Newman’s Own foundation helped with,” Katona said.

Katona said he used to correspond with Paul Newman. “I always used to tell him how much I admired him and Joanne for all that they have done,” he said.

Although Newman’s connection to Maine starts in Bar Harbor, he also has a connection to Camden through author Richard Russo. Russo’s novel “Nobody’s Fool” was made into a movie in 1994 starring Newman.

Newman also starred in the film adaptation of Russo’s Pulitzer Prize winning novel “Empire Falls,” which was shown on HBO.

In an HBO interview, Newman said he enjoyed filming in Maine. The film was shot in the Waterville and Skowhegan areas. He and his wife rented a cabin on a lake and Newman was able to spend his free time fishing.

As a result of that film connection, according to The Associated Press, Newman donated $10,000 to help build an 18-mile trail system in central Maine.

“Peter Garrett, president of Kennebec Messalonskee Trails Inc., said he wrote a letter to Newman in November [2004] explaining that the trial system would open up land along the Kennebec River and Messalonskee Stream for people to exercise and see wildlife,” the AP article said. Newman sent a check.

And there were other connections to the Pine Tree state.

In 2000, Georgia-Pacific Corp., which at the time owned the pulp and paper mill in Baileyville, donated a 39-foot straight pine log to a camp founded by Newman for children suffering from cancer and other life-threatening illnesses. The log was used to create a totem pole for the camp in Ashford, Conn.

In 1992, Newman was invited to a public supper in Dexter to benefit the local high school’s trip to Williamsburg, Va. Although he was unable to attend, he sent enough of his spaghetti sauce to feed the hundreds who did.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/90001.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 02:19:54 AM »

Nut, thanks for that article....who knew?...nice to see that good things are being done, at least when reading such, hope it's true and something all can keep in mind...

He was an actor, but he had me convinced. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 02:22:41 AM by 2NJSons_Mom » Logged

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 09:04:22 PM »

A beautiful man, inside and out.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.