April 26, 2024, 07:13:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transcripts:July17,08-August 13, 08  (Read 19024 times)
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 05:02:42 PM »

Someone said these are the dates they are requesting transcripts from NG show.
7-18-2008, 7-25-2008 & 9-4-2008

NANCY GRACE

Police Search Abandoned Car of Missing Toddler`s Mother

Aired July 18, 2008 - 20:00:00   ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL, GUEST HOST: Tonight, breaking developments in the search for a beautiful little 2-year-old girl named Caylee Marie Anthony. Police are notified of Caylee`s disappearance after her grandparents report her missing. In the last hours, crime scene technicians now stop digging in the grandparents` back yard. The question is why. An investigator seized electronic equipment from the Anthony home. What are they looking for? And the most important question, where is little Caylee.
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: The search for a 2-year-old girl has taken a grim turn. Investigators have been digging in the family`s back yard after getting a tip from a neighbor. Police learn that Casey Anthony borrowed a shovel from a neighbor about a month ago, around the time her daughter, Caylee, disappeared. It was weeks before Anthony acknowledged to anyone that her little girl was missing.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Casey gave me an explanation where she was, and it was very believable. And I had no reason to ever doubt my daughter. The only thing that raised a red flag to me is the fact that Casey could not tell me where she was at.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: And now a possible new lead in the investigation. A Florida TV station is reporting that police are focusing on the car allegedly driven by Casey Anthony, after noticing a strong smell coming from the vehicle.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Also tonight, breaking developments in the case of a young mom who reportedly goes out for a morning jog but who never returns, her two kids and husband at home, but it`s her neighborhood friend who calls police. Tonight, Nancy Cooper`s friends and family speak out, saying she was trapped, not even able to take the kids to visit her family in Canada because, they allege, husband Brad Cooper hid the kids` passports. This is just the latest allegation against that husband. It comes after bombshell claims that Cooper fought with his wife and allegedly had an affair.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I would like to know why.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I think this is an act of extreme cowardice by whoever person did this, and I think if they had a shred of decency in their body that they would come forward (INAUDIBLE)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: While Nancy`s family mourns, police in Cary, North Carolina, search for the killer. Investigators say they have no suspects, but speculation is swirling around Nancy`s husband. And now another development. Citing Bradley was unstable and posed a threat to his children, a judge awarded temporary custody of the two children to Nancy`s family.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He is not a suspect. He is not a person of interest. And he has been very, very clear with the police he did not kill his wife.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Good evening. I`m Jane Velez-Mitchell, in for Nancy Grace. Thanks for being with us tonight. The question: Where is adorable little Caylee Anthony? In fact, that`s the question the entire nation is asking tonight. The missing toddler`s 22-year-old mom sits behind bars, where she is set to undergo a mental evaluation, that after authorities say she told them a pack of lies about the circumstances surrounding her daughter`s disappearance more than a month ago.

Casey Anthony, the young mom, and her 2-year-old child, Caylee, had been living with Casey`s parents until June 9. That`s when she decides, I`m going to take off with the toddler in tow. After several weeks, Casey`s mom demands to see her grandchild, and when her daughter refused to produce her, called authorities. Now an ominous tern as police with cadaver dogs search for that child.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Police are searching the back yard of a woman`s home near Orlando, trying to find her 2-year-old granddaughter. Now, they don`t know whether there`s any evidence about the girl`s disappearance in this yard, but a neighbor says the child`s mother borrowed a shovel about a month ago. Apparently, that is around the that time Caylee Marie Anthony disappeared.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We did have somebody call to tell us that a shovel was borrowed on a day that -- in close proximity to the child being missing. So we thought that this would be a good place to look.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Investigators say that Casey has told them lie after lie. Her story was that she dropped off Caylee, the little girl, on June 9 at a friend`s house, Zenaida Gonzalez, but investigator haven`t been able to find this Zenaida Gonzalez her or know if she even exists.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: WFTV in Orlando is reporting that police have begun to search the car allegedly driven by Casey Anthony, which reports say had a foul smell emanating from it.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Caylee is missing, and that`s the word that I want to get out to everybody. This little girl needs to be found. So instead of thinking that she`s already dead, there`s no answer yet, and we have to find that answer.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: So the big question remains, where is Caylee, and is she dead or alive? For the very latest, let`s go straight out to Kendra Oestreich. Kendra, you`re outside the grandmother`s home. What is the very latest there?

KENDRA OESTREICH, WESH 2 NEWS: Well, Jane, investigators have focused much of their investigation the last two days here on the grandparents` home, spending five hours last night with cadaver dogs, searching the back yard, another five hours out here again with dogs, digging in the back yard. But right now, investigators say there is no sign of Caylee back here and have called off this search here at the home. But they`re still really searching for Caylee tonight.

Now, the reason that they came out to look here at the grandparents` home, first of all, Caylee and Casey used to live here together until they left about a month ago to spend some time at a friend`s house, is what she told the grandparents. The reason that they were out here digging in the back yard, the next-door neighbor called investigators when the search for Caylee began, saying that Casey, the mother, came next door and borrowed a shovel from the neighbor and apparently was digging in the back yard, was home alone at the time.

But the grandparents say there`s a logical explanation for this. Apparently, they grow bamboo shoots in the back yard, and they say those shoots hurt little Caylee`s feet when she stepped on them. They keep the shovels locked up here at the house as a method of child-proofing the home, and that`s why the mother went next door to get that shovel. They say they stand behind their daughter. They believe that she had nothing to do with this little girl`s disappearance, and they truly believe that tonight Caylee is still alive.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, Kendra, a very good explanation there of the shovel. We all got chills when we heard that she borrowed the shovel. Now the grandma saying, Hey, there`s an innocent explanation. And we do have to stress that this young mom deserves the presumption of innocence. She is not considered a suspect or a person of interest at this time, although she faces three charges, including child neglect, false official statements and obstruction of the investigation. But again, we are in the early stage of this investigation, and she deserves the presumption of innocence.

I want to go to Rory O`Neill, a reporter for Metro Networks, and talk about another possibly ominous development, and that involves the abandoned car and reports that a stench was observed or smelled inside that car. Tell us all about that.

RORY O`NEILL, METRO NETWORKS: Well, Jane, yes, it is the car that Casey would use. It did belong to her parents, the grandparents, the same home where the search has just concluded. And the detectives found the car. It had been abandoned not too far from this house, and it was actually towed by the owner of the business there because it had been sitting abandoned in this parking lot for several days. They had it towed, and then they found out who it belonged to, tracked it down, and realized there was this stench inside.

Now, the car has already been gone through, at least in preliminary terms, so we know that the young girl, luckily, is not in there. But it is something that they`re trying to get a hold of and get their heads around, figure out what that smell is.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: We have Casey Anthony`s attorney, Jose Baez, with us tonight. We`re going to get to him in a second. But one other aspect of this case -- and I want to go back out to Kendra Oestreich -- that is so bizarre are the boyfriends. According to the arrest affidavit, Casey was allegedly living with this boyfriend after June 9, the last time anybody else saw the baby, except for a couple of days later, when a friend says she saw the baby maybe the 12th, 13th or 14th. But he says that Casey never told him that this child was missing, that basically, she`s living with him and saying, Well, the kid`s with the nanny?

OESTREICH: That`s right. She said -- or he told investigators that it seemed to be a logical explanation, where she would tell him that the little girl was with the nanny, maybe at a theme park, the beach, visiting Universal Studios or Disney World. And so he didn`t ever think that there was anything was wrong because she always seemed to have an explanation as where -- where Caylee was.

Now, I mean, it`s just one of the stories that may be being told by this mother here, the main question being, Where is Caylee? But in her arrest affidavit, as you brought up, there are so many lies, investigators say. They went to the apartment. Apparently, no one has been living there. Casey, the mom, took them to Universal, saying, I work there. Come to find out she had been fired back in 2006. They don`t know if this nanny even exists. They talked to a woman named Zenaida Gonzalez. She says she doesn`t know Casey, she doesn`t know Caylee.

And a new turn of events today, her attorney is coming out, saying investigators need to be looking across the country in other areas of Florida for this little girl because of the babysitter in this case apparently has ties and connections to other locations, other cities...

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, let me jump in here because we have that attorney with us tonight, Jose Baez, the attorney for this young mom, Casey Anthony. Thank you for joining us, sir. You heard this reporter, Kendra Oestreich, very eloquently outline a list of lies, a pack of lies investigators say your client told them. What`s your explanation for all these discrepancies? I mean, she literally took them to a theme park and then finally admitted, I don`t work here, after walking them around for several minutes.

JOSE BAEZ, ATTORNEY FOR MOTHER OF MISSING TODDLER: Well, actually -- thank you, Jane, for having me. I can honestly say that, first off, I haven`t been turned over any type of conversations or discussions that she`s had with police, but I can honestly tell you that in this business, you can`t believe everything you read in a police report. Otherwise everyone...

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, the boyfriend says -- the boyfriend says she was living with him and she never told him that her baby was missing. Meantime, she has reportedly told police that she was doing her own investigation into the disappearance of her daughter and that`s why she didn`t call the cops. You`d think she`d tell the boyfriend she was living with.

BAEZ: Well, I can tell you that, based on my conversations with my client, what we ended up discovering, based on these conversations, was that there`s actually a very reasonable explanation for this whole delay in reporting the incident...

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I want to hear that.

BAEZ: ... or the kidnapping.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I want to hear that reasonable explanation.

BAEZ: Unfortunately, she is under criminal charges at this time. I cannot disclose any of the specific discussions that I`ve had with my client that would possibly lead to a defense. The prosecution nor the police are not telling me everything they know, and I certainly don`t think that as -- launching a proper defense would be disclosing every single thing that we know.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right. Well, listen, I think that all of America has questions for you. So fasten your seatbelt, Jose Baez, the attorney for this young mom.

The calls are lighting up. Let`s start with Edward from Texas. Your question, sir?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes. I have two quick questions. One, is the girl on drugs? Did they give her drug tests? And B, where`s the father of the baby in all of this?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Excellent questions. Jose Baez, your answer, sir?

BAEZ: The -- there`s no evidence of any prior drug use. I don`t think the police have uncovered any type of drug use in this case. And I`ve spoken with friends and family members of her. There doesn`t appear to be any type of past history of drug abuse. And as far as the father is concerned, unfortunately, the father is deceased. He died approximately a year ago in a car crash.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right. Well, I have to bring in Jeff Gardere, psychologist and author of "Love Prescription." We need a shrink on this one, Jeff. It seems to be sort of a portrait of two different people. The mother of Casey is saying she was a loving mother. She`s a 22-year-old mom, had this child when she was a teenager but was a loving mother, no history, no criminal history for this young lady that we can find. And yet her friends claim in the arrest affidavit that she was a habitual liar. They allege she stole checks and money from them. So we`re getting this sort of wildly different portrait from -- depending on who you talk to.

JEFF GARDERE, PSYCHOLOGIST: Well, this is a very complex young woman, from what we`re finding out. I`m really shocked that there doesn`t seem to be any tears coming from her. We saw her being -- in this film clip right here, walking through court, I guess, being arraigned. And here she is, not crying. She looks like she`s absolutely fine. I would think any mom whose child was missing would be distraught at this point.

But what we do know about this young lady is that, I think, her mother must be in some sort of a denial, if the friends are saying that she has been a habitual liar, there has been issues with checks. So what is going on? Yes, she could be a good mom, but there are a lot of other personality issues that need to be addressed.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, before we get to the attorneys to talk about the mother, I want to show everybody a slo-mo or a tight shot of the expression of Casey as she is led through doors, and she is under arrest and she appears to see that, wow, the cameras are there, recording her every move.

Jeff, it appears to be -- correct me if I`m wrong -- kind of like she`s trying to repress a smile. Or is that a misinterpretation?

GARDERE: No, I think that`s -- that can be a very accurate interpretation. It could be that she`s in shock, for one. Or it could be that she doesn`t know how to react at this point because this is such a strange situation that she`s in. Or it could be that she is in total disconnect from what`s happening with her daughter or what may have happened to her daughter. But this is something that is quite strange. The behavior is strange.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Absolutely. Let`s bring in the lawyers, Holly Hughes, former prosecutor, and Alan Ripka, defense attorney. You know, you have to say the grandmother, the mother of Casey and the grandmother of this little missing toddler, is the hero in all of this because she`s the one who went to authorities and called police in, knowing, of course, that it could very well have gotten her child in trouble. And yet you hear, well, she`s in denial because she`s defending her daughter. Certainly, that`s something, Alan Ripka, that is natural for her to do, right?

ALAN RIPKA, DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Well, It may be natural for her to do, but she`s defending her daughter because she`s watched her behavior over the last couple years, when she saw her raise her daughter. And there`s no evidence to show that her daughter has done anything, including the back yard digging, where they found nothing, including the call (ph), where there`s no forensic evidence. And there`s no history of abuse of this child or calls to the police for abuse. And the mother or the grandmother in this case would have called the police if there was abuse, like she called the police here. So now we have nothing against this girl, but she`s being prosecuted like she did it.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right. Holly Hughes, how long can they keep her in jail on these three charges, the neglect, the obstruction of justice and the lying to investigators, if they don`t file more serious charges?

HOLLY HUGHES, FORMER PROSECUTOR: What they`re going to have to do, Jane, is file their charges against her. They haven`t actually formally done this yet. They need to go ahead and get her accused or indicted within about 30 days. She can be held, actually, until trial if a judge finds during a bond hearing that she runs the risk of either committing another felony, interfering with witnesses or several other factors. And obviously, they found one of those exists because they haven`t let her out on bond yet.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: This little girl is our entire life, and I still believe she`s alive because I do not believe that my daughter did any harm to her child. My daughter has been nothing but a loving mother, and I have seen that for the last three years.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Orange County investigators are searching the home of Cindy and George Anthony here in Orange County, Florida. They brought in a couple shovels and they are digging in the back yard. They brought in two large shovels, two smaller shovels. Neighbors in this area apparently told investigators that they saw Casey, the little girl`s mother, here recently alone when her parents, the grandparents in this case, were not here.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I`m Jane Velez-Mitchell, in for Nancy Grace. Investigators desperately searching for missing Florida toddler Caylee Anthony say they have had to unravel an ornate series of lies allegedly told by the young mother of that young toddler. That mom in jail tonight, not considered a suspect in her daughter`s disappearance, but facing charges of lying to investigators and obstructing their investigation.

I want to go back to that mother`s attorney, Jose Baez. Her mother, the grandmother of the missing toddler, says her gut feeling is that this child is alive. What do you think? Is little Caylee alive?

BAEZ: Well, we all believe she`s alive. And in fact, what we`re trying to do with the media is we`re trying to get them to concentrate not necessarily on Casey but on Caylee and on the search for Caylee.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I want to jump in.

(CROSSTALK)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I want you to say it again. Say it again because I think that was very big news. Do you think little Caylee is dead or alive? Can you answer it again?

BAEZ: We believe she`s alive. We believe she`s alive.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: You do believe she`s alive?

BAEZ: Absolutely. Absolutely.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: OK.

BAEZ: And we`re trying to get everybody to focus on the search, rather than on the prosecution of Casey, and that`s exactly what`s going on here. The police are talking about basically searching -- they spent five hours last night and five hours today searching in the back yard. It`s a very small back yard. The neighbors said that they borrowed the shovel -- that she borrowed the shovel for less than an hour. This young lady is 105 pounds, for crying out loud. Anyone would have been able to see, in that small back yard, if there was something dug up...

VELEZ-MITCHELL: So who took the child?

BAEZ: ... especially over a month old...

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Who took the child, Jose? Because the woman she said she left her with doesn`t know Casey.

BAEZ: Well, actually, that`s some misinformation that`s being laid out. The person that the police spoke with was someone who has absolutely nothing to do with this case, and it is not the Zenaida Gonzalez that my client said was the baby-sitter in this case.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Anybody that looks at this little girl will fall madly in love with her. There`s no -- no way that anybody would not want to have her around because you just -- when you`re around her, all you feel is her magic.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We spent the first day of the investigation with the mother prior to her arrest. We talked to her for a couple of hours. The initial information that she gave us, we followed up on. And of course, a lot of what she told us when we first began talking to her turned out to be false information. Since her arrest, we have not had any contact with her.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I`m Jane Velez-Mitchell, in for Nancy Grace. The phone lines are lighting up on this missing toddler case out of Florida. Let`s go to Evelyn in Minnesota. Your question, ma`am.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes. Since Mom is a habitual liar and the parents are in denial, who`s to say drug use isn`t the culprit? And can the courts force her to take a drug test?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right. Well, let`s go to the lawyers. Holly Hughes, former prosecutor?

HUGHES: They can`t force her to take a drug test. And at this point, Jane, it`s too late because what they`ve done is, they`ve had her in custody and they didn`t take the blood right away. They could have gotten a search warrant. You can`t just force her to do it. You have to have probable cause, go to the judge, get him to sign off on the search warrant for her blood, and then they could test it. At this point, it`s been a couple of days. It`s going to be too late to be able to tell if she`s an habitual user, if she used in the past, unless they were to snip hair or something and go back and look at the usage that might show up in the hair follicles.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All very good questions. We don`t have the answers.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

CINDY ANTHONY, MISSING 2-YR-OLD GIRL`S GRANDMOTHER: Caylee wasn`t with her like she had told me she was with her for the last month. Then, you know, I asked her, well, let`s go get her because I miss her, I want to go see her. I want to bring her home so she can sleep in her bed.

And when she told me tat, you know, it was too late to go because she`s already sleeping at the babysitter`s house and, you know, why disrupt her because -- you know wake her up and then have to bring her home and then she`ll be up all night. Let`s pick her up in the morning.

I said, no, I`m selfish, I want to see my granddaughter, I haven`t seen her in a month. And I guess a little bit of tone in Casey`s voice -- you know, mom, you know, she was pretty persistent and insistent. Then I got a gut feeling that -- I just knew something was wrong. So I told her that I was going to call the sheriff`s department.

By the time they got there, she had told us that Caylee had been kidnapped.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL, GUEST HOST: I`m Jane Velez-Mitchell in for Nancy Grace.

Who knows the truth about what happened to little Caylee Anthony, an adorable Florida toddler missing for more than a month. Her young mom in jail tonight after failing to call police to report her daughter missing. The mom claimed she conducted her own investigation instead, something that is raising a lot of eyebrows.

We are delighted to have with us tonight Erin Runnion, a very courageous mother who tragically lost her own daughter to murder.

I covered that story years ago as a reporter and she is now a leader of the Joyful Child Foundation.

Erin, thank you so much for joining us tonight.

ERIN RUNNION, MOTHER OF MURDER VICTIM SAMANTHA RUNNION: Thank you for having me.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: What do you make of this case, because I know that statistically time is of the essence when it comes to missing children?

RUNNION: It is. And I`m just -- I`m so frustrated given that it`s been five weeks. I mean, that is -- it`s just unheard of to have a parent who refuses to cooperate with the police.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now, of course, we all look at the options. And we have to reiterate that this woman, this young mother, is not a suspect. She is not a person of interest in her child`s disappearance, although police say that she did lie to them.

But here are the possibilities. I mean, just speaking logically. Let`s hope, number one is not true, that this child was murdered. God hope that that`s not the case.

RUNNION: Absolutely.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: But perhaps she was given away and is safe. Perhaps she`s given away and is not safe. Perhaps she was sold. Perhaps she was lost. And perhaps she was accidentally killed followed by a cover-up.

What are your thoughts given those possibilities?

RUNNION: Well, I think any of them are possible. I mean, you know, part of my challenge is I`ve been so focused on addressing child exploitation issues and recognizing that, you know, the Internet Crimes Against Children task forces are battling to try and ensure that we`re investigating and prosecuting child pornography, which is driven by new victims.

And I just -- I`m horrified. I`m just horrified that Caylee is in danger and I want her photo everywhere and I want people to be looking for her and I want law enforcement to have the resources to investigate these cases and rescue these kids who get trapped in that kind of trafficking.

You know, and that`s why I -- not just with the Joyful Child Foundation but with the Surviving Parents Coalition, I`ve been advocating for Senate Bill 1738 , the Combating Child Exploitation Act to do just that.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: So, Erin, you`re.

RUNNION: We`re heading to Washington next week to do that.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, I hope you`re successfully, but you`re essentially saying possibly she could be involved in some kind of ring abduction that exploits children in some horrifying way.

Let`s hope not but...

RUNNION: And I`m very concerned that this young mother has no concept of the danger that her daughter could be faced. If she gave her away, if she put her in the hands of somebody that she`s afraid to let law enforcement know about for any number of reasons, that it just -- it points to danger for Caylee.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I`d like to bring in Donald Schweitzer, who`s a former detective with Santa Ana PD. This is what doesn`t make sense to me. There are a lot of young mothers -- this woman had her child when she was a teenager -- who don`t want the responsibility. They chaffed at all the obligations and they leave the child with the grandparents and they split.

In this case, this young woman took the toddler with her. So it`s not like she was really trying to escape the responsibility of having a child, because it would have made sense if she had just left the child with her grandmother -- with the grandmother.

DONALD SCHWEITZER, FMR. DETECTIVE SANTA ANA P.D.: Yes, Jane, there`s a lot of things that don`t make sense in this case. The first thing you got to think about is that she didn`t report this for a month. The second thing is when she`s questioned by the police she makes about 10 different lies that lead the police to the opposite direction.

And, finally, right now, she could be helping the police. She doesn`t have to have that attorney saying that she can`t speak because of her Fifth Amendment right. If she wants to fight this child, and we want to find her very badly, she can cooperate right now.

She doesn`t have to hide behind her Fifth Amendment right and the fact that she`s charged with some -- you know, some crimes out there. It`s better that she go to prison for, you know, one year rather than letting her child be at harm`s way. And that`s why I think that there`s something that`s really wrong in this case.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Something is fishy in Denmark. Jose Baez, Casey Anthony`s attorney, your response to that criticism.

JOSE BAEZ, ATTORNEY FOR MISSING GIRL`S MOM: Well, let me tell you. We have opened the line of communication with law enforcement.

What happened in this case was law enforcement basically jumped the gun. Nobody heard about this -- about Caylee`s disappearance until after she was arrested. And I think that was a big blunder on police`s part by arresting her, thereby cutting off any type of communication where you`re going to violate someone`s rights.

What should have been done is they should have allowed her to stay free, maybe perhaps watch her a little bit longer, see if there`s any activity, where she goes, what she`s doing, who she`s talking with. And in addition to that, she doesn`t have to go through a lawyer.

But what they did was they arrested her.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right, let`s allow Donald to respond on that because he`s a former detective.

Should they have let her just roam around while they followed her?

SCHWEITZER: Yes, you can still help the police, sir. You don`t have to have her hide behind her Fifth Amendment right. This is a child that`s missing, for god`s sake. Do whatever you can to help her. Get this little -- get your client to start talking to the police rather than hiding behind you. There`s no need for that.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right.

BAEZ: Well, first of all, I don`t think you really know what you`re talking about because we are the ones who actually spoke out to the police. We`ve asked for the police to come and give us access to a -- sketch artist where she can actually describe the babysitter and actually go out and put some type of leads out there.

But that`s not what`s happening. Police hasn`t contacted us to specifically ask her any questions or to show.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: But, Jose, she lied about where she dropped the child off. Authorities determined that the house where she said she left the child with this mysterious babysitter was -- that apartment was unoccupied for something like 142 days, since February 28th. So she`s lying about key components of the story.

BAEZ: Some of the representations that were made to the police are -- there`s actually a very reasonable explanation for that. But unfortunately, due to the fact that she`s facing criminal charges, I can`t allow her to specifically lay out her entire defense and to.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right. I hear what you`re saying.

Beth in North Carolina, your question. Want to get that in.

BETH, NORTH CAROLINA RESIDENT: Yes, as a grandparent, I cannot understand how a grandmother that is so close to her grandchild could allow 30 days to go by without laying eyes on or hands on this precious child. And if she was so close to her daughter, why can she not convince the daughter that she needs to tell her?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right, Kendra Oestreich, your explanation from what you know about this case.

KENDRA OESTREICH, REPORTER, WESH: I can tell you that investigators right now are frustrated with Mr. Baez as well as Casey. Apparently the attorney has come forward telling media these investigators need to be looking at other cities and other places for this little girl.

However, they`re telling me that he has not gone to them, allowing them to question and talk to Casey again or telling them directly this information. So they, on the other hand, are frustrated, feeling it`s not a two-way street when it comes to communication.

They`re going to be handing out flyers tomorrow.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right, we got to jump in right there.

OESTREICH: . in this neighborhood to find this little girl.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: We hope this child is found.

When we come back, a mother of two found murdered at a construction site near her North Carolina home. Nancy Cooper`s husband tells cops she went out for jogging, never came back.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(NEWSBREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: (INAUDIBLE) for a North Carolina mother found dead near her home. No suspects have been named in Nancy Cooper`s death but her parents are asking the killer to speak up if the person has, quote, "any shred of decency."

Cooper`s husband told police his wife went jogging Saturday and never came back. But her body was found Monday at a construction site less than three miles from her home in a Raleigh suburb.

And Cooper`s family has been granted temporary custody of her two young daughters. Cooper`s parents claim their son-in-law is emotionally unstable, was having an affair, and poses a danger to the children.

Now her husband Bradley Cooper`s attorneys say he is distraught by his wife`s death and will continue to assist police.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I`m Jane Velez-Mitchell in for Nancy Grace.

Tonight a tragic mystery deepens. A mother of two, who was also an avid runner, found murdered at a construction site a few miles from her North Carolina home.

Nancy Cooper`s husband told cops she went out for a jog Saturday morning at 7:00 a.m. and simply never came home. But he did not call the cops. It was a worried friend who dialed 911.

Now police are calling it murder. They have no suspects and no person of interest, but the dead woman`s family is claiming her husband had cheated on her and was verbally and emotionally abusive. They also say she was planning on leaving him. Explosive new developments tonight.

Let`s go straight out to Gurnal Scott, a reporter at WPTF radio, who`s been tracking this story from the start.

Gurnal, what is the very latest is?

GURNAL SCOTT, REPORTER, WPTF RADIO: The very latest is, as you`ve said, the family has been very skeptical about what Brad Cooper has been saying. They have said in the custody complaint that they never thought that she did go jogging, that he has been abusive, that he has kept money from her, that he has been abusive to her verbally in front of the children. And she wanted to leave.

He hid passports so she couldn`t take the children with them. They have made several complaints that have allowed them to go to a court and get custody of these children and they are proceeding on from there, hoping that police can catch the person who is behind this killing.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: And there were duel news conferences today, the attorney for Brad Cooper speaking out, saying their client is innocent, wants to grieve in private, is cooperating with investigators. And then the family of Nancy Cooper also speaking out.

Gurnal, exactly what was said by either party? What are the headlines?

SCOTT: Well, the headlines, as far as the family is concerned, once again, Garry Rentz, the father of Nancy Cooper, urged, as you said, the person who is responsible, if they have a shred of decency, come forward, admit what you`ve done.

But in the dueling news conferences, as you just said, the attorney for Brad Cooper, Seth Blum, is saying that Mr. Cooper is a private man, this is why you haven`t seen him at these press briefings that have been held by the Cary Police Department. He wants to grieve in private. And he doesn`t want to mourn, as he said, in front of the hot glare of media -- of the media spotlight. He wants to be left alone so he can mourn his wife.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I want to go to Nicole Partin, investigative journalist, and ask you about this other woman. What do we know about this claim, which certainly has not been confirmed in any way, shape or form by Brad Cooper? He has admitted they had marital problems but that`s as far as he went.

What do we know about this possible other woman that Nancy Cooper`s family is claiming he had an affair with?

NICOLE PARTIN, INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER: Good evening, Jane. What we know is that in the allegations presented by Nancy`s family yesterday in a court order, the family claims that Brad was having an affair. Those claims were also backed up with his apparent verbal abuse and battering verbally to Nancy.

We don`t know anything about this woman and the affair other than that the father and other family members of Nancy are alleging that, indeed, Brad was having an affair.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I want to bring in the attorneys, Holly Hughes, former prosecutor, and Alan Ripka, defense attorney.

Let`s start with you, Alan. This man deserves the presumption of innocence. He is not considered a suspect or a person of interest. He says he is innocent but skeptics would point out that this case, at least theoretically, has the hallmarks of a classic estrangement homicide.

It`s the, you know, the wife seeking divorce and she turns up dead. How would you defend Brad Cooper in that scenario?

ALAN RIPKA, DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Well, Jane, there are plenty of people in this country who is seeking divorce and having marital problems and they don`t go around killing people.

In this particular case there`s not one shred of evidence that he did anything of the sort. No witnesses, no forensic evidence, never threatened to kill her in the past. No domestic violence. No police coming to the house. So I don`t see why -- that`s why he`s not being charged and that`s why he`s not a person of interest.

And in this particular case, he`s cooperating with the police. He doesn`t have a lawyer. And I figure he`s going to be fine in this one.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, I think he actually does have a lawyer because they held a news conference today. So I don`t think they were just volunteers.

Holly Hughes, what are your thoughts given the claims that we`re hearing from Nancy`s family about an affair, about the belittling, the withholding money, taking the passports?

HOLLY HUGHES, PROSECUTOR: Well, I got to tell you. In response to my esteemed colleague, Mr. Ripka, let me just say this, Mark Hacking, Scott Peterson, Drew Peterson, I could go on and on. I mean, come on, Jane, this is the same scenario we see all the time.

Scott Peterson didn`t have any history of abusing Laci but one day something snaps and these men are killing their wives. As far as saying there`s no evidence, no forensics evidence, we don`t know that. There was a search warrant executed. They hauled six bags of evidence out of that house.

First of all they did a consensual search and after that consensual search they went back and got a search warrant because they thought there was more in there and they certainly had to have probable cause to support that warrant, Jane.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: And, Holly Hughes, you bring up the Scott Peterson case.

In that case, his mistress who had no idea that he was married, thought she was just having a regular relationship, ended up being the smoking gun because she tape recorded her conversations with Scott Peterson and that`s partially why he was convicted.

HUGHES: That`s exactly right, Jane, and I wouldn`t be surprised if we don`t have another star witness come forward once she realities the gravity of the situation just like Amber Frey. She didn`t know she was going out with a murderer. And when these women finally realized what these men are like they`re going to start singing, as they should, and get some justice for Nancy Cooper.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right. We have to leave it right there but we want to stress again that this husband is not a suspect, not even a person of interest, and he does deserve the presumption of innocence in this case.

Moving on, all this year, you`ve told us stories of ordinary people having an extraordinary impact in our country and all around the world. But the deadline is fast approaching for you to tell us about your favorite hero at CNN.com/heroes. Your last date is Friday, August 1st, to tell us.

Here is tonight`s CNN "HEROES."

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

KAREN SHIRK, CHAMPIONING CHILDREN: Children with autism are often isolated. They just don`t connect to people.

I worked as a social worker in the field of mental retardation and autism. I knew that children with autism connected to animals and I knew that service dogs would be able to help.

I`m Karen Shirk, and I bring service dogs to children with disabilities like autism.

One of the biggest problems children with autism have is they wonder away. We train the dogs in tracking so the parents basically have their own search and rescue dogs. We also train the dogs to intervene when the child is frustrated. Their anxiety just diminishes. It`s just the magic of dogs.

UNIDENTIFIED MOTHER: The changes in Sam have been really fantastic. Now, with the dog, his mood is better, and his ability to tolerate is better.

Karen, she just really changed all of our lives.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: What do you think, Justin?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Good.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Good dog? What do you say to Karen?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thank you.

SHIRK: You`re welcome.

The dogs go in and become the child`s friend.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He`s my buddy.

SHIRK: He`s your buddy already? Cool.

I love to see their faces and just know that I was apart of that.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

ANNOUNCER: July is the last month to nominate someone you know for 2008. Go to CNN.com/heroes.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: And now a look back at the stories making the rest of the headlines this week.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: Holly Wimunc`s husband, Marine Corporal John Wimunc, now facing a first degree murder charge. Investigators say they believe burned remains found in a brush fire yesterday are those of the missing Ft. Bragg army nurse.

NANCY GRACE, HOST: Why are police so convinced she was killed in the apartment before she was ever taken?

UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: They are not going into many specifics, but only say that the evidence they found in the apartment indicate that she was indeed murdered there.

GRACE: After a spate of children dying in overheated cars, now, this story. Mom and dad inside partying in a bar while their child is locked in the car for hours on end.

UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: The family of a murdered North Carolina mother has custody now of her two young daughters. Nancy Cooper`s family filed an emergency petition to take those children from her husband, Bradley Cooper.

GRACE: Police now reveal they consider the home of potential crime scene. As of right now, the husband has not been named a person of interest or even a suspect.

UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: Casey Anthony is a 22-year-old mother. That`s a fact. This is her beautiful 2-year-old, Caylee. That is true. But the rest of the story is blurry at best, false at worst.

Detectives say they got a call from Caylee`s grandparents this morning who just found out that Caylee had been missing for a month.

GRACE: With me right now is a special guest. This is Caylee`s grandma Cindy Anthony.

ANTHONY: I`m here trying to ask the public if they can find Caylee, because I still believe she`s alive.

GRACE: Tell me, why do you believe that?

ANTHONY: A gut feeling.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Tonight, let`s stop to remember Army Sergeant Cody Legg, 23 from Escondido, California, killed in Iraq. Legg was on his second tour of duty. He was awarded several medals including the Purple Heart. He loved baseball and wrestling and hoped to become a professional baseball player.

Legg leaves behind parents Dave and Bunny, two half-brothers, DC and Derrick, two step-brothers, a step father and a step mom.

Cody Legg, an American hero.

Thanks to all of our guests for their insights and thanks to you at home for tracking these very important cases with us. See you tomorrow tonight right here, 8:00 sharp Eastern.

Meantime have a happy and a safe weekend.

END
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0807/18/ng.01.html
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 05:06:28 PM by Blonde » Logged

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 05:08:09 PM »

NANCY GRACE

Missing Person Case Phone Calls Released

Aired July 25, 2008 - 20:00:00   ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

NANCY GRACE, HOST: Breaking news tonight. Police desperately searching for a beautiful little 2-year-old girl, Caylee, after her grandparents report her missing. Little Caylee hasn`t been seen in five long weeks, last seen with her mother. So why didn`t Mommy call police?
Tonight, another bombshell. Do stunning jailhouse phone calls between mother Casey and grandmother Cindy blow this case wide open? As family and friends on the line beg Mom for info on the little girl, all Mommy wants to talk about is her boyfriend, Casey Anthony confronted on lying about 2- year-old Caylee.

And a newly released 911 call reveals the grandmother threatened -- threatened -- to take Caylee away unless Mommy cooperates, then tells 911 Mom`s car smells like a dead body, this on the heels of two independent cadaver dogs hitting on Mom`s car trunk and back yard. And a tipster claims she saw the 2-year-old boarding a flight to Atlanta. Was Caylee sighted in a restaurant in north Georgia? Tonight, where is 2-year-old Caylee?

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: How come everybody`s saying that you`re not upset, that you`re not crying, that you show no caring of where Caylee is at all?

CASEY ANTHONY, MOTHER OF MISSING TODDLER: Because I`m not sitting here (DELETED) crying every two seconds because I have to stay composed to talk to detectives, to make other phone calls, to do other things. I can`t sit here and be crying every two seconds like I want to. I can`t.

I know you`re on my side. I`m not trying to...

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Nobody`s saying anything bad about you. Your family is with you 100 percent.

CASEY ANTHONY: No, they`re not.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes...

CASEY ANTHONY: That`s (DELETED) because I just watched the (DELETED) news and heard everything that my mom said. Nobody in my own family is on my side.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes, they are. Nobody has said...

CASEY ANTHONY: They just want Caylee back. That`s all they`re worried about right now is getting Caylee back. And you know what? That`s all I care about right now.

(END AUDIO CLIP)

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

CASEY ANTHONY: Waste my call sitting in, oh, the jail.

CINDY ANTHONY, GRANDMOTHER OF MISSING TODDLER: Whose fault is you sitting in the jail? You`re blaming me that you`re sitting in the jail?

CASEY ANTHONY: Not my fault.

CINDY ANTHONY: Blame yourself for telling lies.

(END AUDIO CLIP)

GRACE: Good evening. I`m Nancy Grace. I want to thank you for being with us. Tonight, police desperately searching for a beautiful 2-year-old girl, Caylee, after her grandparents report her missing. Little Caylee hasn`t been seen in five long weeks, last seen with her mother. So why didn`t Mommy call police? Tonight, another bombshell. Do stunning jailhouse phone calls between mother, Casey, and grandmother, Cindy, blow this case wide open? Just released, Caylee`s mom caught on tape from jail.

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: So how come everybody`s saying you`re lying?

CASEY ANTHONY: Because nobody`s (DELETED) listening to anything that I`m saying. The media completely misconstrued everything that I said. The (DELETED) detectives told them (DELETED) (DELETED). They want (ph) all of their information from me, yet at the same time, they`re twisting stuff. They`ve already said they`re going to pin this on me if they don`t find Caylee. They`ve already said that.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Well...

CASEY ANTHONY: They arrested me because they said that...

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes, because they said that the person that you dropped Caylee with doesn`t even exist.

CASEY ANTHONY: Because -- oh, look, they can`t find her in the Florida database. She`s not just from Florida. If they would actually listen to anything that I would have said to them, they would have had their lead. They maybe could have tracked her down. They haven`t listened to a (DELETED) that I`ve said.

(END AUDIO CLIP)

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Does Tony have anything to do with Caylee?

CASEY ANTHONY: No. Tony had nothing to do with Caylee.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Oh. So why do you want to talk to him? You probably don`t want to tell me.

CASEY ANTHONY: Because he`s my boyfriend and I want to actually try to sit and talk to him because I didn`t get a chance to talk to him earlier because I got arrested on a (DELETED) whim today because they`re blaming me for stuff that I never would do, that I didn`t do.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: OK. Well, I`m on nobody -- I`m on your side. You know that.

CASEY ANTHONY: Oh, honey, I know that. I just want to talk to Tony and get a little bit of...

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Casey, you have to tell me if you know anything about Caylee.

CASEY ANTHONY: Sweetheart...

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: If anything happens to Caylee, Casey, I`ll die! You understand? I`ll die if anything happens to that baby!

CASEY ANTHONY: Whoa. Oh, my God. Calling you guys -- a waste, huge waste. Honey, I love you. You know I would not let anything happen to my daughter. If I knew where she was, this wouldn`t be going on.

(END AUDIO CLIP)

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

CINDY ANTHONY: Casey?

CASEY ANTHONY: Mom.

CINDY ANTHONY: Hey, sweetie.

CASEY ANTHONY: Well, I just saw your nice little cameo on TV.

CINDY ANTHONY: Which one?

CASEY ANTHONY: What do you mean, which one?

CINDY ANTHONY: Which one? I did four different ones, and I don`t know -- I haven`t seen them all. I`ve only seen one or two so far.

CASEY ANTHONY: You don`t know what my involvement is in stuff?

CINDY ANTHONY: Casey...

CASEY ANTHONY: Mom?

CINDY ANTHONY: What?

CASEY ANTHONY: No.

CINDY ANTHONY: I don`t know what your involvement is, sweetheart. You`re not telling me where she`s at.

CASEY ANTHONY: Because I don`t (DELETED) know where she`s at. Are you kidding me?

CINDY ANTHONY: Casey, don`t waste your call to scream and holler at me.

(END AUDIO CLIP)

GRACE: Jailhouse tapes. Apparently, they didn`t realize they were being recorded, even though very plainly, you can hear at the outset that this call is being monitored. These are calls by mom Casey from behind bars that threaten to blow this case wide open. As family and friends on the other line actually break down crying, begging for information from Mommy about the whereabouts of her 2-year-old little girl, all she wants to talk about is her boyfriend, Tony.

Straight out to Mark Williams with WNDB Newstalk 1150. What`s the latest?

MARK WILLIAMS, WNDB NEWSTALK 1150: Well, the latest is, of course, the jailhouse call that was released this afternoon. Also, there`s been a video release this afternoon of that. And you know...

GRACE: We`re showing that right now, Mark. Everyone, you are seeing actual phone calls of mom Casey behind bars, talking. These jailhouse tapes, Mark Williams -- stunning. She never breaks down.

WILLIAMS: No.

GRACE: She never cries. When people ask her about little Caylee, she never answers a single question. She keeps saying, This is a waste. Look, all I want is my boyfriend`s phone number. I don`t want to talk about Caylee.

WILLIAMS: Well, obviously, she is very self-centered for a 22-year- old woman. She won`t accept responsibility for what`s going on. It shows that the Anthony family is pretty much a dysfunctional family between Casey and her mother. Apparently, Casey doesn`t like her mother showing up on television all the time. And you`ve documented the fact that all she wants is the boyfriend`s mother (ph) -- the family`s trying to pump information from her, information that she`s not even giving investigators right now. So it is -- it is just a mosh (ph). I mean, this tape just blew my socks off this afternoon.

GRACE: Well, I got to tell you something, Mark. When the friend, Christina, is saying, Please, please tell me what you can about Caylee, she says, Oh, my God, what an F-ing waste this phone call was. That is her response.

Take a listen to mom Casey Anthony behind bars, being recorded on line with her mother.

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

CASEY ANTHONY: ... waste my call sitting in, oh, the jail.

CINDY ANTHONY: Whose fault is you sitting in the jail? You`re blaming me that you`re sitting in the jail?

CASEY ANTHONY: Not my fault.

CINDY ANTHONY: Blame yourself for telling lies. What do you mean, it`s not your fault? What do you mean it`s not your fault, sweetheart? If you`d have told them the truth and not lied about everything, they wouldn`t...

CASEY ANTHONY: Do me a favor. Just tell me what Tony`s number is. I don`t want to talk to you right now. Forget it.

CINDY ANTHONY: I don`t have his number.

CASEY ANTHONY: Well, get it from Lee because I know Lee`s at the house. I saw Mallory`s car was out front. It was just on the news. They were just live outside the house.

CINDY ANTHONY: I know they were.

CASEY ANTHONY: Well?

CINDY ANTHONY: Well?

CASEY ANTHONY: Can you get Tony`s number for me so I can call him?

(END AUDIO CLIP)

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Does Tony have anything to do with Caylee?

CASEY ANTHONY: No. Tony had nothing to do with Caylee.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Oh. So why do you want to talk to him? You probably don`t want to tell me.

CASEY ANTHONY: Because he`s my boyfriend and I want to actually try to sit and talk to him because I didn`t get a chance to talk to him earlier because I got arrested on a (DELETED) whim today because they`re blaming me for stuff that I never would do, that I didn`t do.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: OK. Well, I`m on nobody -- I`m on your side. You know that.

CASEY ANTHONY: Oh, honey, I know that. I just want to talk to Tony and get a little bit of...

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Casey, you have to tell me if you know anything about Caylee.

CASEY ANTHONY: Sweetheart...

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: If anything happens to Caylee, Casey, I`ll die! You understand? I`ll die if anything happens to that baby!

CASEY ANTHONY: Whoa. Oh, my God. Calling you guys -- a waste, huge waste. Honey, I love you. You know I would not let anything happen to my daughter. If I knew where she was, this wouldn`t be going on.

(END AUDIO CLIP)

GRACE: Incredible. We also learn -- let`s go out to Drew Petrimoulx with WDBO Newsradio. Drew, I think Tony, who she keeps wanting to talk to, may have some answers, not necessarily where Caylee is, but if she were -- if she had been with Tony on and off throughout these five weeks she was missing, did Tony ever see the little girl? We know police have canvassed door to door in Tony, the boyfriend`s, apartment. Now, what they have learned, Drew, is that several residents there in the apartment complex say, Yes, we saw Caylee. We saw her here in the apartment complex swimming pool. The last time any of them saw the little girl was in early June.

What more can you tell us, Drew?

DREW PETRIMOULX, WDBO NEWSRADIO: Well, the thing is, you know, that`s pretty much -- around the middle part of June there was pretty much the last time anyone has seen he. While people in the neighborhood did see -- they had seen her playing in the pool (INAUDIBLE) like that, they haven`t seen her since she, you know, went missing. And while her boyfriend has said that he is helping investigators, he hasn`t to this point revealed any evidence that has led to a break in the case.

GRACE: You know -- back to Mark Williams at WNDB Newstalk 1150. Mark, I think that we can glean a great deal of evidence from what Tony, the boyfriend, observed. For instance, did she continue to tell him the baby was at the beach with the nanny, the baby was at an amusement park with the nanny? Has anybody except mom Casey ever seen the nanny?

WILLIAMS: Nobody has seen the nanny. I mean, you know, police have gone to her alleged address and she is nowhere to be found. Even Casey in that phone call this afternoon mentioned, Well, she may not be in the Florida database. She may be in the North Carolina database...

GRACE: Yes, I heard that.

WILLIAMS: ... or New York state.

GRACE: I heard that.

WILLIAMS: You know...

GRACE: She may not be just from Florida.

WILLIAMS: Yes, but -- well, the other thing is the fact that the father this afternoon, on a local media outlet, said they`re only a couple of thousand dollars away from releasing Casey from jail, which was a stunning revelation for me because that was the first time I had heard about that.

GRACE: Everybody, we are talking your calls live. Out to Ginny in Florida. Hi, Ginny.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Hi, Nancy. How`re you doing tonight?

GRACE: I`m good, dear. What`s your question?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: OK. Listen, honey, she had a whole month to get rid of this baby. Is it possible that she dumped it in plastic bags and took it to the dump, and now she feels very confident that no one`s going to find it? And I think the mother, the daughter, the whole family`s playing the system.

GRACE: You know, Ginny, I think that you have a very good point regarding the possibility the body has been disposed of. But I want you to listen to what the grandmother, grandmother Cindy, says. She`s trying make a 911 call. They`ve hooked (ph) her. She`s called the wrong jurisdiction. And while they`re waiting to get to the correct jurisdiction, the grandmother says, Listen -- the mother says, Give me one or day, give me one more day to find Caylee. The grandmother says, No, I`ve given you 30 days to find her, and if you don`t -- it goes inaudible. She says, We`re going to get a court order to get her.

So Ginny in Florida, that suggests to me that a grandmother, Cindy Anthony, truly believed at that juncture the little girl was alive.

Liz, do we have that sound? We do. Take a listen.

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

CINDY ANTHONY: ... because my next thing will be down to child (INAUDIBLE) thing and we`ll have a court order to get her. If that`s the way you want to play it, we`ll do it and you`ll never...

CASEY ANTHONY: That`s not the way I want to play it.

CINDY ANTHONY: Well, then you have to...

CASEY ANTHONY: Give me one more day.

CINDY ANTHONY: No, I`m not giving you another day. I`ve given you a month.

(END AUDIO CLIP)

GRACE: To Donald Schweitzer, former detective with Santa Ana PD. That one slip right there, when they did not realize they were between phone calls, between the police and the sheriff`s office, they didn`t know they were still being recorded, says to me that Cindy Anthony up until this juncture really believed the little girl was still alive. What do you think?

DONALD SCHWEITZER, FORMER DETECTIVE, SANTA ANA PD: I agree with you, Nancy. I think that she was buying into the story that the child was with a missing nanny. But it also tells me that the mother doesn`t trust the daughter and that she`s questioning her and she`s probing and she`s threatening to report her to the police. So she knows that something`s wrong, as well, at that juncture.

GRACE: I think you`re right.

Back out to the lines. Mary Jo in New Jersey. Hi, Mary Jo.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Hi. How`re you doing, Nancy?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Oh, congratulations on your beautiful miracles.

GRACE: You know what? Thank you very much. I`ve got a photo for you later on tonight. What do you think about this case?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Well, I was actually wondering, how did Caylee`s father die, were her parents still together at the time?

GRACE: It`s my understanding that -- I think you were talking about Caylee, how did Caylee`s father die -- in a car crash. What do we know, Mark Williams?

WILLIAMS: That`s the information that I know, Nancy, that he died about a year ago in a car accident, and she`s been pretty much, you know, raising the child by herself, along with her parents, in east Orange County. That`s the only information we`ve been able to glean. And Tony came into her life -- this Tony Lazarro (ph) came into her life a couple of months ago, two months ago, so they`ve been an item for a while.

GRACE: And another issue regarding the death of the father of Caylee, Caylee`s father. We learned from police sources that the very first thing they did was reach out to all relatives, all family members and nail down their alibis, the last time they had seen Caylee. All of those relatives, to my understanding, Mary Jo in New Jersey, have been spoken to.

To Dr. Lawrence Kobilinsky, forensic scientist, joining us out of New York. This theory that Ginny called in from Florida, about the disposal of the body -- if there is a body, if it was disposed of in that manner, say, back in June, in a dump, in a trash dump, would there be any way to find it now?

LARRY KOBILINSKY, FORENSIC SCIENTIST: I think it would be exceptionally difficult. There would clearly be a great deal of decomposition and putrefaction. The question is, is could you detect the object in a plastic bag in a dump, and without having any insight into where to look. I mean, some of these dumps are enormous in size. I think it would be almost an impossible task to find that kind of object in a large dump.

GRACE: And back to Donald Schweitzer, former detective with Santa Ana PD. When she said -- and we`re about to play this for you -- the police refused to listen to her -- I`m talking about the recorded phone calls that have just been released as we go to air, jailhouse recordings of mom Casey on the phone with grandmother Cindy. She says on the phone, This woman is not just from Florida. She could be in North Carolina or New York. They`ve got to search the database. What about that?

SCHWEITZER: Nancy, I`ve actually read the police reports, and it appears to me that the police did everything they could to find this woman. They went to the house that this woman claimed to have been living. There`s no such person. They`ve done everything they can.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: So how can I find out the information about that girl?

CASEY ANTHONY: Have them look up a New York license for Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez. They`ve just been looking up the last name Gonzalez or the last name Fernandez. If they looked up her entire name, they might actually find her. They haven`t done that. They haven`t listened to anything that I`ve said.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Where does she live? Because they went and looked at her place and...

CASEY ANTHONY: Baby, you`re not telling me anything that I don`t already know. Again, I only have been in jail since, oh, about 8:30 tonight. I was with them...

(END AUDIO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: You know that whoever has Caylee, nobody`s going to get away with it. Nobody.

CASEY ANTHONY: I know nobody`s going to get away with it. But at the same time, the only way they`re going to find Caylee is if they actually listen to what I`m saying. And I`m trying to help them and they`re not letting me help them.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: So how can I help them find her? The best thing you can do, baby, is listen to me.

CASEY ANTHONY: They need to look up her information in the New York database and a North Carolina database, other places that she`s lived outside of Florida. That`s what I told them even again today. I told them that four times today.

(END AUDIO CLIP)

GRACE: Let`s unleash the lawyers. Joining us, Susan Moss, Hugo Rodriguez and Seema Iyer. Susan Moss, weigh in.

SUSAN MOSS, FAMILY LAW ATTORNEY: She has no remorse for this loss. I mean, listen to her. Listen to her speak. It`s all about her. It`s all about her thoughts, her feelings and how the world has done her wrong. If she -- she lost her child, yet she doesn`t make any pleas to try to do more things to try to help find her child, other than looking up this mythical baby-sitter.

GRACE: Hugo?

HUGO RODRIGUEZ, DEFENSE ATTORNEY: I don`t disagree. It`s very mysterious. It`s a very troubled young woman.

GRACE: Mysterious?

RODRIGUEZ: Mysterious...

GRACE: What`s mysterious about it?

RODRIGUEZ: I mean her...

GRACE: She`s lying through her teeth. Is that a mystery?

RODRIGUEZ: It is -- if she is really sincere about finding daughter, it is mysterious. I don`t think an ordinary mother would be doing that, Nancy.

GRACE: Seema?

SEEMA IYER, DEFENSE ATTORNEY: I think you`re all looking at this like this is some smoking gun evidence. None of us are here to judge how she should react to this type of trauma and this type of loss. And this tape is evidence of nothing, zero, zilch.

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

CASEY ANTHONY: I know you`re on my side, and I`m not trying to...

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Nobody`s saying anything bad about you. Your family is with you 100 percent.

CASEY ANTHONY: That`s (DELETED) because I just watched the (DELETED) news and heard everything that my mom said. Nobody in my own family is on my side.

CASEY ANTHONY: They just want Caylee back. That`s all they`re worried about right now is getting Caylee back. And you know what? That`s all I care about right now.

(END AUDIO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

CASEY ANTHONY: I know you`re on my side, and I`m not trying to...

(END AUDIO CLIP)

GRACE: Dr. Mark Hillman, clinical psychotherapist and author. Did you hear her say, All they care about is Caylee? That`s all they care about? In other words, they don`t care about me, they only care about her. What is wrong with her?

MARK HILLMAN, PSYCHOTHERAPIST: It`s called schizoid affective disorder. In other words, this is a very, very sick woman.

GRACE: Well, that`s not what I would have called it, but go ahead.

HILLMAN: This woman creates a very fabricated reality and then she occupies it. She says she`s concerned about her daughter. She lies to the police. She does her own investigation for 31 days. She`s cooking for Tony, the boyfriend. And she`s using her mother`s stolen credit card to go on a shopping spree. She lies about the baby-sitter. She lies about the address. She lies about working. And Judge Strickland said it best. The truth and Miss Anthony are complete strangers.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED 911 OPERATOR: So how can I find out the information about that girl?

CASEY ANTHONY, MOTHER OF MISSING 2-YEAR-OLD: Have them look up a New York license for Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez. They`ve just been looking up the last name Gonzalez or the last name Fernandez. If they looked up her entire name, they might actually find her. They haven`t done that. They haven`t listened to anything that I`ve said.

UNIDENTIFIED 911 OPERATOR: Where does she live? Because they went and looked at her place.

CASEY: Baby, you`re not telling me anything that I don`t already know. Again, I`ve only been in jail since oh about 8:30 tonight. I was with them all day today. I know that. I was with officers, pretty much since 9:00 last night up until today, like up until this evening when I came up here.

UNIDENTIFIED 911 OPERATOR: But you`re telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth? Because they`ll find.

CASEY: That it`s, I have no clue where my daughter is? Yes, that is the truth. That is the absolute truth.

UNIDENTIFIED 911 OPERATOR: They`ll find out and whoever.

CASEY: OK. Christina, I`m hanging up.

CINDY ANTHONY, MISSING 2-YEAR-OLD`S GRANDMOTHER: I have a 3-year-old that`s been missing for a month.

UNIDENTIFIED 911 OPERATOR: A 3-year-old?

CINDY: Yes.

UNIDENTIFIED 911 OPERATOR: Have you reported that?

CINDY: I`m trying to do that now, ma`am.

UNIDENTIFIED 911 OPERATOR: OK. What did the person do that you need arrested?

CINDY: My daughter.

UNIDENTIFIED 911 OPERATOR: For what?

CINDY: For stealing an auto and stealing money.

Casey?

CASEY: Mom.

CINDY: Hey, sweetie.

CASEY: Well, I just saw your nice little cameo on TV.

CINDY: Which one?

CASEY: What do you mean which one?

CINDY: Which one? I did four different ones and I don`t know -- I haven`t seen them all. I`ve only seen one or two so far.

CASEY: You don`t know what my involvement is in stuff?

CINDY: Casey.

CASEY: Mom.

CINDY: What?

CASEY: No.

CINDY: I don`t know what your involvement is, sweetheart. You`re not telling me where she`s at.

CASEY: Because I don`t (EXPLETIVE DELETED) know where she`s at. Are you kidding me?

CINDY: Casey, don`t waste your call to scream and holler at me.

CASEY: No.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: The grandmother, Cindy Anthony, remaining extremely poised and in control, almost placating her daughter behind bars.

You`re seeing newly released videos of Casey Anthony behind bars and these phone calls released as we go to air -- calls that could blow the case wide open while family and friends and family beg for information about missing Caylee, the 2-year-old daughter.

All mommy wants to talk about is her boyfriend.

Straight to the lines, Deidra in West Virginia. Hi, Deidra.

DEIDRA, WEST VIRGINIA RESIDENT: Hi, how are you, Nancy.

DEIDRA: First of all, I want to say thank you for having such a great show.

GRACE: Thank you. It`s actually a whole team of us.

DEIDRA: I know that.

GRACE: But I will pass that on, thank you.

DEIDRA: OK. And also, I just want to say that that girl -- mother is so self-differing that she is so self-centered that she`s not really caring where that child is. She is more interested in her boyfriend and such language that she uses.

GRACE: You know -- you know what, Deidra -- don`t you think, Deidra -- Liz, keep Deidra on the line, please. Don`t you think that she`d by saying, have you gotten any tips? Who`s manning the phone calls? What are you guys doing? Have you put out fliers?

DEIDRA: Exactly.

GRACE: Have you looked at this apartment complex? Have you looked in this apartment complex? Did you get the video from the airport? I mean wouldn`t you think she`d be asking those kind of questions? Just think about it. Can you imagine if somebody in your family goes missing, wouldn`t you be out on the street begging people to help you, Deidra?

DEIDRA: Yes, not a month from then, it would be the same day. And that`s the reason I feel that she is behind all this. And she doesn`t care about that little girl.

GRACE: You know let`s go to the defense lawyers. I think Deidra is correct.

Susan Moss with us, family law attorney, child advocate. Also with us, veteran defense attorney out of Miami, Hugo Rodriguez. Also with us, Seema Iyer, defense attorney out of New York.

What about it, Seema?

SEEMA IYER, DEFENSE ATTORNEY: What about it is that you keep getting so excited about this.

GRACE: I`m not excited.

IYER: Yes, you`re very excited. You act like she`s saying.

GRACE: I am convinced.

IYER: . she is guilty.

GRACE: I am convinced that she knows more than what she`s telling us.

IYER: Well, and also the grandmother.

GRACE: If she cared about her daughter, she would tell us.

IYER: Yes, ma`am, but also the grandmother. Let us not forget that the grandmother said, I gave you 31 days. That means to me that the grandmother was in on it, she knew about it, and I would love to defend Casey so I could plan B the grandmother.

GRACE: And you might also notice, Seema, if you take that in context and the grandmother is trying to find out where the little girl is, and believes that she`s still alive, and she`s wanting to get a court order to take the little girl away.

IYER: I disagree. I disagree.

GRACE: You didn`t hear that?

IYER: I heard.

GRACE: OK, Liz, can you queue that up for me?

IYER: I`m listening.

GRACE: Seema appears to only hear in one ear, the bad one.

What about it, Hugo?

HUGO RODRIGUEZ, DEFENSE ATTORNEY, FMR. FBI AGENT: Listen, we`re focus -- we`re missing the focus. I know where you`re going but I`m going to said it before, let`s not race to judgment. She may be a poor mother. She may be a narcissistic.

GRACE: Not poor.

RODRIGUEZ: She may be involved with her boyfriend. But.

GRACE: She ran up $45,000 worth of debt on her mother`s credit card.

RODRIGUEZ: So that doesn`t mean that she has done anything improper with her child.

GRACE: So why did you say she`s poor?

RODRIGUEZ: I mean she`s poor because she made poor judgment.

GRACE: You feel sorry for her?

RODRIGUEZ: No. She made poor judgment. She may be narcissistic, she may be involved with her self, but let`s not race to judgment.

GRACE: No.

RODRIGUEZ: We`ve got Duke, we`ve got Atlanta. We`ve got Ramsey. Let`s hold on. Let`s hold on yet.

GRACE: What about Ramsey?

RODRIGUEZ: Why did they release all these? Yes, all these crisis.

GRACE: Well, why did you say.

RODRIGUEZ: All these people. We were ready to crucify her parents. And we -- we now know they had nothing to do with it.

GRACE: Whoa, whoa, whoa.

RODRIGUEZ: We were ready to crucify her parents.

GRACE: What are you talking about?

RODRIGUEZ: I`m saying.

GRACE: Focus in, bring it in.

RODRIGUEZ: Let`s focus in.

GRACE: Come on, bring it in. Let`s focus on this.

RODRIGUEZ: She`s been charged with obstructing a police investigation and child endearment.

GRACE: Endangerment.

RODRIGUEZ: Endangerment. I believe they`ve made a mistake in arresting her for these charges. They`re not going to get anywhere. She`s going to invoke her rights and not cooperate any further. What`s the purpose?

GRACE: And Susan Moss, don`t you believe that if she wanted to find her child -- and I appreciate what Seema and Hugo are saying, they`re veteran defense attorneys, that`s what they do for a living.

OK? Got it.

But don`t you think, practically speaking, Sue Moss, if you have a family member missing and you finally get through on that jail phone, there`s a line of 30 people you got to wait on to get to that phone, and it tells you, you`re being recorded, don`t you think she`d be saying, have you tried this? Have you called this person? Have you tried that person?

Nothing, nothing about finding the baby.

SUSAN MOSS, CHILD ADVOCATE, FAMILY LAW ATTORNEY: Amen. In this case, in this case, the evidence is mounting. I -- her trunk has the hair of the missing tot. My goodness, in jail, she should sit and rot. This woman is going to be crucified because of her own statements, her own doings, her own car and her own backyard.

GRACE: And speaking of that stain -- Dr. Lawrence Kobilinsky, joining us out of New York -- Kobi, it`s been several days now. They found the stain in the trunk with one of the ultraviolet lights. Can`t they at least tell me if it`s blood?

LAWRENCE KOBILINSKY, FORENSIC SCIENTIST: They would know that almost immediately. Nancy, they have field testing. They could have taken a fiber and tested it right there and then at least to get a presumptive determination.

GRACE: What about if it was cadaver fluid? When your body starts decomposing, it leaks.

KOBILISNKY: Yes, you would find the presence of human hemoglobin. They could have cut out that fabric, brought it back to the lab, done all kinds of tests, presumptive test, confirmatory test, species test. They should know what it is at this stage.

GRACE: Larry, you and I have seen whole cars dismantled just to get this much.

KOBILISNKY: Sure.

GRACE: . of a sample. Like you said, they`ll rip up that carpet, they`d take it in, and taken analysis on it immediately.

KOBILISNKY: Absolutely.

GRACE: And do you think they`ve got it and they`re just not telling us?

KOBILISNKY: I don`t -- yes, that`s a good question because these kind of results come back quickly. The issue now is, if it`s biological, if it`s human, is it this young little girl? And that, I mean, you need to have.

GRACE: Right.

KOBILISNKY: . something to compare it to. And they would know that in a matter of day or two.

GRACE: Well then, they would have that in the grandmother`s home.

KOBILISNKY: Yes.

GRACE: Her hair brush, anything to get a nucleus (INAUDIBLE), to get DNA.

KOBILISNKY: Absolutely, absolutely right. And they would know that quickly, a couple of days would be more than enough to bring this whole thing to a conclusion.

GRACE: Out to the lines, Jennifer in Florida. Hi, Jennifer.

JENNIFER, FLORIDA RESIDENT: Hi, Nancy. How are you?

JENNIFER: Good. I have a question for you - well, first, I love your show.

GRACE: Thank you.

JENNIFER: And second, I remember two years ago, you had extensive coverage on the Trenton Duckett case.

GRACE: Yes.

JENNIFER: And this case, to me, has so many similarities to that one. It`s in the same area. This mother reminds me so much of the uncooperative Melinda Duckett. The kids were the same ages, the mothers were the same ages. I was wondering if there was some type of weird thing going on in that area with small children.

GRACE: You know what, a lot of people have made the comparison to the Duckett case. I don`t think it`s exclusive to the area but a lot of people have made that observation and, as you all know, Miss Duckett went to her grave never revealing what she else knew about the disappearance of her little girl -- of her little boy Trenton.

Everybody, we are taking your calls live.

Quickly to break, tonight, at your request, here is another picture of the twins. Now here they are, they look like they`re sitting up, but what we did. We held them to the last minute, and go one, two, three, and pulled back and take the picture. And then immediately they fell.

But this is such a big deal. This happened this week. Can you remember when they were in intensive care? We were all praying that they would live?

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

CINDY: Because my next thing will be down to child (INAUDIBLE) and we`ll have a court order to get her. If that`s the way you want to play, we`ll do it and you`ll never.

CASEY: That`s not the way I want to play.

CINDY: Well, then, you have.

CASEY: Give me one more day.

CINDY: No, I`m not giving you another day. I`ve given you a month.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(NEWSBREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

LEE: Anyway, you only got a couple of minutes with us so I`m not going to let you completely waste it. Here`s Christina. She thinks she can get through to you.

CASEY: No. No. I want Tony`s number. I`m not talking to anybody else.

CHRISTINA: Hello?

CASEY: Hi, I`m glad everybody`s at my house. I`ll have to call you later or I`ll have to call somebody to get your numbers. Do me a favor, get my brother back because I need Tony`s number.

CHRISTINA: OK. Is there anything I can do for you?

CASEY: I`m sitting in jail. There`s nothing anybody can do right now.

CHRISTINA: Well, I`m just trying to be a.

CASEY: Oh I know you are, honey. I absolutely know that you are and I appreciate everything that you`re trying to do but, I`d like to call Tony. He`s not at my house, is he?

CHRISTINA: No, no.

CASEY: OK.

CHRISTINA: It`s just me and your parents, and Lee.

How come everybody`s saying that you`re not upset, that you`re not crying, that you showed no caring of where Caylee is at all?

CASEY: Because I`m not sitting here (EXPLETIVE DELETED) crying every two seconds, because I have to stay composed to talk to detectives, to make other phone calls, to do other things. I can`t sit here and be crying every two seconds like I want to. I can`t.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Stunning jailhouse phone tapes reveal the state of mind of mom, Casey Anthony. Her little girl Caylee has been missing now for over five weeks.

We`re taking your calls live, Nancy in Georgia, hi, Nancy.

NANCY, GEORGIA RESIDENT: Hi, Nancy. I wondered if there was focus on the car if the mother had left her in the car while she went on the shopping spree or as we did in Atlanta we had a mother that left the child in the car when she went in to do her work, her job and the child died.

GRACE: Interesting question.

To Mark Williams at WNDB Newstalk 1150 -- Mark, if she were using her mother`s credit card, couldn`t they determine where she had been, when she had been there, and whether anyone had seen the little girl with her?

MARK WILLIAMS, NEWS DIRECTOR, WNDB NEWSTALK 1150: Of course. I mean, if she went on the shopping spree and ran up the $45,000, they ought to be able to trace through that banking company where she spent that money, what state she was in.

One of the other things, Nancy, that I want to put out is have police checked the service records of that automobile. People usually get their oil changed every three to five thousand miles. There`s got to be a paper trail just with the car.

GRACE: Mark, Mark, Mark, that`s normal people, logical people, all right? I don`t know if she`s thinking about getting an oil change after 3,000 miles.

Out to the lines, Sally in Florida. Hi, Sally.

SALLY: Hey, Nancy.

GRACE: Hi, dear. What`s your question?

SALLY: My question is, deja vu, I live right here in Leesburg where we -- Trenton Ducket was.

SALLY: . abducted. And he was taken out a window by a stranger. This little girl is taken by a strange babysitter, and I`m just saying, if they release her from jail, are they sure she won`t be the same as the other one?

GRACE: You know that`s an interesting point because, Susan, the judge did say a condition of her being released from jail was not one but two shrinks, two psychological exams.

MOSS: Absolutely. I have -- I don`t think she`s going to commit suicide but I think she`ll disappear quicker than this mythical babysitter.

GRACE: You know, speaking of the babysitter, it seems to me -- out to you, Donald Schweitzer -- that there would be some record of her. They found the woman, Zenaida Hernandez Gonzales in Florida, but now, she says, well, maybe she`s in North Carolina, maybe she`s in New York.

You`ve got to have some record, a gas bill, an apartment lease, a driver`s license, something.

So, what about it? How would they go about tracking it that quickly?

DONALD SCHWEITZER, FMR. DETECTIVE, SANTA ANA PD: Nancy, determining whether a person exists is pretty easy. It doesn`t take a rocket scientist to investigate that one. They could simply go to where this woman was supposed to have lived and ask neighbors, ask friends. People just don`t exist with being known.

This was an easy one. The police did that and they weren`t able to confirm.

GRACE: And you know, another issue now that you are mentioning that, to Mark Williams with WNDB -- Mark, mom Casey said that she spoke with the little girl right before she goes missing. She was with the nanny, but then when she tried to call back, the phone was out of service.

Wouldn`t they have records of that? Can`t they ping a cell phone if there is one?

WILLIAMS: Yes, they can. And if you`d call 911 today, in this county, they can tell you exactly where that phone is from. They can ping that phone and that`s kind of an easy thing to do. And you can go back to the cell phone provider and.

GRACE: Absolutely.

WILLIAMS: . pull those lists.

GRACE: Which tells me the police are correct that this woman does not exist, this nanny.

To Mindy in Alabama, hi, dear.

MINDY, ALABAMA RESIDENT: Hi, Nancy.

GRACE: What`s your question, dear?

MINDY: Well, I was wondering, if there are any child abandonment laws in the state of Florida, if this is supposedly true that she did leave the toddler.

MINDY: . with the babysitter, if the babysitter exists.

GRACE: Is that child abandonment? Yes, it would at least be child neglect and she is actually charged with that, Mindy in Alabama. How long they`ll hold her, I don`t know.

Very quickly tonight, everyone, tonight, "CNN HEROES."

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: (Through translator) For 20 years, I walked with a little wheelbarrow, selling house, cleaning products for six or seven hours a day.

With the money I earn, I buy food for my family and medicine for my wife who has cancer. The situation is tough. A bicycle could really help me.

DAVE SCHWEIDENBACK, COMMUNITY CRUSADER: OK. I think we got them.

My name`s Dave Schweidenback. I`m the founder of Pedals and Progress. I collect bikes for people in the developing world.

You ready to part with this?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes.

SCHWEINDENBACK: When I was a Peace Corps volunteer down in the Amazon basin, everybody walks everywhere they go all the time. I knew that a bicycle could change someone`s life for the better.

Now I decided to run bike collections and send them to people to help give them a better life.

We break them down, load them into the containers, and when the containers arrive overseas, the bicycles are sold at low costs to the local people.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE (Through translator): Now, things are better. I sell more because I do my rounds quicker. Because of a bicycle, my life has changed.

SCHWEINDENBACK: My goal is to continue to collect as many bikes as I can and ship them to as many places as there are poor people who need them.

ANNOUNCER: July is the last month to nominate someone you know as a CNN HERO for 2008.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

GRACE: What a week in America`s courtrooms. Take a look at stories and more important the people who touched our lives.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

UNIDENTIFIED 911 DISPATCHER: Okfuskee County 911. State your emergency.

UNIDENTIFIED CALLER: Yes. Somebody`s killed two girls over -- my daughter.

GRACE: We want justice for Taylor and Skyla.

Why release the 911 now?

MARSHALL STEWART, REPORTER, KRMG NEWSRADIO: At first, they didn`t want to do it, Nancy, because they thought it was too upsetting and wouldn`t help solve the crime. But it`s been six weeks since these little girls were killed, and so they think maybe this will prompt someone to come forward with information. Just hearing this really is upsetting.

UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: Len Wawczak and his wife Paula Stark wore a wire and recorded their conversations with Drew Peterson.

GRACE: Out to Joe Hosey with the "Herald News" -- Joe, can we confirm the secret tapes actually exist?

JOE HOSEY, HERALD NEWS, INTERVIEWED FRIENDS CLAIMING THEY TAPED PETERSON: I believe so, yes.

GRACE: How?

HOSEY: I can`t say that at this time.

UNIDENTIFIED 911 OPERATOR: Your daughter admitted that your -- the baby is where?

CINDY: The babysitter took her a month ago that my daughter`s been looking for. I told you my daughter was missing for a month. I just found her today but I can`t find my granddaughter.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: From June 16th until July 15th, did you have any contact with Casey?

CINDY: Every day.

There`s something wrong. I found my daughter`s car today and it smells like there`s been a dead body in the car.

There was a bag of pizza for, what, 12 days in the back of the car, full of maggots. It smells so bad.

GRACE: I would want to find the little girl alive, Mr. Baez.

JOSE BAEZ, ATTORNEY FOR MISSING TOT`S MOTHER CASEY ANTHONY: I`m a little confused as to why you would ask that question.

GRACE: Because I want to find Caylee alive and obviously you and your client do not.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

GRACE: Let`s stop and remember Army Specialist Donald Burkett, 24, (INAUDIBLE) Texas, killed, Iraq. Awarded many medals including National Defense service medal. Dreamed of becoming a sergeant. Leaves behind wife Brandi, son Mason, mother Carolyn, two brother, Jason and Wayne.

Donald Burkett, American hero.

Thanks to our guests, but especially to you for being with us. And tonight, a special good night from the New York control room. There they are, Bret, Liz, Rosie.

Good night, everybody.

Everyone, I`ll see you tomorrow night, 8:00 sharp, Eastern, and until then, good night, friend.

END

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0807/25/ng.01.html

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 05:09:48 PM »

NANCY GRACE

Missing Toddler`s Mother Released on Bond Again

Aired September 4, 2008 - 20:00:00   ET

NANCY GRACE, HOST: Breaking news tonight. Police desperately searching for a beautiful little 3-year-old Florida girl, Caylee, after her grandparents report her missing, little Caylee now not seen for 11 long weeks, last seen with her mother. So why didn`t Mommy call police?
Bombshell tonight. Mom, Casey Anthony, walks out of jail free, free on bond again, an anonymous party posting a $500,000 bond, this after significant amounts -- not traces, significant amounts -- of the powerful chemical solution chloroform discovered by the FBI in mom, Casey Anthony`s, car trunk. Sources confirm mom, Casey`s, computer reveals multiple visits to Web sites on chloroform.

And tonight, grandmother, Cindy, goes on the attack, blasting not only volunteer searches led by Texas Equusearch but also attacks the original bounty hunter who got her daughter, mom, Casey, out of the jail the first time. Why?

Investigators now go on record confirming there is forensic evidence of human decomposition in mom, Casey`s, car trunk. All indicators are it was 3-year-old little Caylee. Volunteers searching through swamps, through forests and bodies of water for little Caylee. And now the grandparents hire a criminal defense attorney. Why? Caylee`s grandparents insisting she`s alive and likely in Texas, Puerto Rico or Mexico. Hours ago, sheriffs send out a desperate plea for volunteer searchers. Tonight, where is 3-year-old Caylee?

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Casey Anthony, who has remained on jail on $500,000 bond, is getting out of jail again. Two local bail bond companies have combined forces to spring Anthony from her 7-by-12-foot cell in protective custody where she has remained nearly a week, this after police issue a press release saying they have filed additional theft and fraud charges against Casey Anthony for allegedly stealing hundreds of dollars in checks.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: This young lady, who`s got some -- definitely got a bit of a criminal past.

CINDY ANTHONY, GRANDMOTHER OF MISSING TODDLER: I want an apology from Kevin Berry (ph).

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It won`t happen. We`re doing our job. What we need is credible information, especially from her daughter.

CINDY ANTHONY: I know what I know. Caylee is not dead.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: And that`s the message I`ll send back to her.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Good evening. I`m Nancy Grace. I want to thank you for being with us. Tonight, the desperate search for a 3-year-old Florida girl, Caylee.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Tot mom Casey Anthony has been in jail for nearly a week after being arrested on more charges. But now she`s getting out. Two local bail bond companies are posting Anthony`s $500,000 bond. Anthony is expected to be released in hours and will once again be fitted with an electronic monitoring device.

CINDY ANTHONY: When she came out of the jail, she kept her head up high because there`s nothing to hide.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I`m not asking for cooperation from that family. I do not ask them for anything.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Cindy Anthony released a statement attacking the very searcher that she called and asked to come to Orlando to search for her granddaughter, Caylee. Cindy Anthony claims both the head of Equusearch, Tim Miller, and the bounty hunter, Larry Padilla, came to Florida under false pretenses.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I do not believe that Caylee is alive. I believe Caylee is within three miles of where we are sitting right now.

CINDY ANTHONY: You guys are going to put Caylee in a coffin because, eventually, something`s going to happen to her if we don`t find her.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Amazingly, going on attack, that was Cindy Anthony, Caylee`s grandmother, attacking the volunteer searchers who came to find Caylee.

Let`s go straight out to Adam Longo, standing by the at jail, Adam with WKMG. Adam, she`s getting out of jail again? What happened?

ADAM LONGO, WKMG: Right. Well, two different bond companies posted her bond this evening. They`re splitting it up. It is a $500,000 bond. One company`s putting up $250,000, another company`s putting up another $250,000. And you know, when you talk about who could have likely seen this coming, we did see leading up to today and into the afternoon, all of the other bonds having been posted on the various financial-related charges that she`s been facing, as well as the $200 on the charges of lying to investigators and obstructing an investigation -- that was posted this afternoon. It seemed to all set the stage for this bond to be posted late this afternoon, Nancy.

GRACE: Now -- Adam Longo with us from WKMG, standing by at the jail. Now, there is the possibility that at any moment, mom, Casey Anthony, could walk out of jail. We have heard it`s going to be in the early morning hours. That may or may not be true. There`s always a chance they could try to slip her in or out through a back door. We`re posted there at the jail in case that happens.

You keep saying, Adam Longo, that there is an anonymous benefactor that is springing for her to get out of jail, but yet you also say there are two bonding companies. Which one is it, or is it both?

LONGO: Well, it`s the anonymous party, Nancy, that`s actually putting up the $500,000 to these bonding companies in order for her to be literally brought out of jail. And if I could read for you just a little bit of a statement that we have? We know just a little bit about this anonymous party. This is a statement released tonight by a public relations firm that has been retained by Jose Baez, Casey Anthony`s attorney.

What it says is, "The individual posting the bond prefers to remain anonymous and is doing it because of the belief that Ms. Anthony`s constitutional rights have been grossly violated." So about this anonymous...

GRACE: Whoa, whoa, whoa!

LONGO: ... person who`s putting up this money...

GRACE: Wait, wait, wait, wait! Wait a minute! Adam Longo, a PR firm wrote that? Are you talking about this press release that`s full of grammatical errors, talking about her constitutional rights having been violated, going on and on about Leonard Padilla? Is that what you`re talking about?

LONGO: That was the statement I was reading from, Nancy.

GRACE: Is that actually from a PR firm?

LONGO: This was penned by the firm of Press Corps Media. Todd Black (ph) is the name that was attached to the release.

GRACE: Well, somebody needs to go back to English grammar in the 6th grade. But go ahead and give me the gist of it.

LONGO: Well, the gist of it -- as you said, it goes on, on several different points, the point I just made about the anonymous donor. It also talks about Mr. Padilla. Let me read a little excerpt of that. It says, "Though Jose Baez and his client appreciate what Mr. Padilla initially did, his latter unjustified retreat has clearly demonstrated he cannot be trusted. Mr. Baez nor Ms. Anthony will work with Leonard Padilla ever again on their case. Mr. Padilla is simply milking media time under the pretense of reposting bond, and that offer is rejected."

It also goes on to talk about the Baez -- go ahead, Nancy.

GRACE: We are taking your calls live. With me is Adam Longo, who broke the story. Mom, Casey Anthony, is set to walk free from jail again, an anonymous benefactor putting up the bond for $500,000 to set her free. In a PR release by the Jose Baez firm, Leonard Padilla, the original bounty hunter who put up the money, traveled from California to get out of jail, is attacked. They claim he retreated.

With me now is that bounty hunter, Leonard Padilla. Mr. Padilla, my understanding is you decided that your original theory that Caylee was alive was false. You got no cooperation from the Anthony family, according to you...

LEONARD PADILLA, BOUNTY HUNTER: That`s right.

GRACE: ... in trying to find the little girl. And then you made an offer. If you, mom, Casey, will help me find little Caylee, I`ll go back on your bond and get you out. But they refused to do that.

PADILLA: That`s correct. And I can understand Jose, the attorney, you know, posturing. But you know, I have to tell you this, that approximately an hour before I was informed that somebody was posting the bond -- and this was before the bond was actually posted -- I received a call. And I thought it a strange call, asking me if I thought that she was a flight risk in any way, shape or form. And I told the gentleman, I says, No, she`s not a flight risk at all, and I don`t think that she`d be a threat...

GRACE: A flight risk? She can`t even keep a tank of gas.

PADILLA: Right. So she`s not going to run. The only thing I suggested to the individual, I says, I don`t know if you`re suggesting that you`re going to get involved in bailing or...

GRACE: Why you are being mysterious? You`re on national TV. I`m asking you questions. Why are you saying, "the individual"? Who called you?

PADILLA: When I asked -- I don`t know. When I asked the name of the person, he said, well, he`d call me back later on and explain why he was calling, and that was basically the end the conversation.

GRACE: So you don`t know who were talking to.

PADILLA: No. No. No. I have an idea, but...

GRACE: Well, don`t you have -- you`re a bounty hunter and you don`t have caller ID?

PADILLA: Yes, I do. It was out of 615 area code.

GRACE: Which means?

PADILLA: Well, I think there`s a production company down there made a deal with the new attorney. And they`ve hired -- you know, they`ve gone the whole thing, book and movie rights and all that, and they`re the ones that are behind guaranteeing the bond.

GRACE: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! Repeat?

PADILLA: I think that they`re behind guaranteeing the bond in exchange for some book and movie rights, or something to that effect. That`s the impression I have.

GRACE: Why do you think that? And of course, everybody, 615 is the Nashville area code. And this press media release, which I might add again, was horribly written, just -- long story short, they`re in Nashville. So you put two and two together, and you think it`s a book or movie deal?

PADILLA: I think so. I did not know where the -- this is the first I`ve heard of the press release. I wasn`t aware of that. But I think there`s something that`s going on, and that`s why Cindy has hired a new attorney.

GRACE: OK.

PADILLA: You can see these things unfolding in this direction.

GRACE: We are taking your calls live. Out to Jackie in California. Hi, Jackie.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Hi, Nancy. I have a question.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: A question and a comment.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: About the chloroform. Could she have gotten it from her grandparents` house? I ask this because when my boyfriend`s grandmother died, we found a bottle in her house, in her cabinet.

GRACE: How long ago was that?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: That was last year that we found it. And the bottle was from 1949, `50.

GRACE: I`m sorry. I couldn`t hear you. The bottle was from where?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: From 1949 through 1950 is the bottle.

GRACE: OK. Because my research has revealed, Jackie, that chloroform was banned by the FDA for consumer use in America back in `77 to `79.

Let`s go to Dr. Lawrence Kobilinsky, a renowned forensic scientist. Koby (ph), chloroform -- you can`t get it over the counter. It`s very difficult to buy on line, although I believe it can be done.

LARRY KOBILINSKY, FORENSIC SCIENTIST: That`s absolutely right, Nancy. Obviously, there are uses for chloroform. Laboratories, research laboratories, forensic laboratories, industry involving refrigeration, photography -- there are a number of uses for chloroform, and you can buy it if you have a legitimate use for it. But it is banned. The average person cannot go into the store and buy it.

GRACE: But on line -- you know, you can get Oxycontin on line.

KOBILINSKY: Yes, I don`t think you can get it legitimately because, you know, it`s a known carcinogen. And the FDA and other groups that study toxic chemicals, they`re not going to allow the public to purchase it. You`ve got to know how to handle it.

GRACE: Well, let`s think this through. Let`s think this through just a moment. Let`s go to Mike Brooks, former fed with the FBI. All right, if it`s difficult to purchase chloroform as an individual -- see, we don`t know, Mike Brooks, what those Web sites were that apparently, mom, Casey, went to. But we know she went to multiple Web sites about chloroform. What if, like Jackie in California is saying, she found this old bottle of chloroform. What if someone happened upon chloroform, and the Web sites are how to use the chloroform, not necessarily buying it or creating it?

MIKE BROOKS, FORMER D.C. POLICE, CNN LAW ENFORCEMENT ANALYST: Right. That`s what I`m hearing, Nancy, that she went there to look up chloroform and how to use it. Now, I spoke to a chemist friend of mine last night about chloroform, and he said that it`s not that hard to get. And you could probably go to a college or a high school lab and get chloroform there.

GRACE: You know, another thing we learned as we went to air, yesterday, it had been reported, it had been rumored that trace amounts of chloroform -- trace amounts of chloroform -- were found in mom, Casey`s, car trunk. Not so. The FBI says significant amounts of chloroform found in mom, Casey`s, car trunk.

We are taking your calls live. Let`s unleash the lawyers. Joining me tonight, veteran felony prosecutor out of Atlanta Eleanor Dixon, defense attorney, no stranger to a courtroom, Peter Odom out of the Atlanta jurisdiction. Also with us, trial lawyer Penny Douglas Furr. Eleanor, weigh in.

ELEANOR DIXON, PROSECUTOR: Well, of course, if you`re just building pieces of this puzzle, Nancy, you`ve got the chloroform, odor of the dead body. You`ve got DNA linking it, and you`ve got her doing computer searches. It all points to one person.

GRACE: Peter Odom?

PETER ODOM, DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Well it certainly all points to the fact that this child met with foul play. It doesn`t all point to Ms. Anthony. And there could certainly be someone...

GRACE: Oh, really?

ODOM: ... else involved.

GRACE: Who else does it point to?

ODOM: How about a boyfriend? How about a family member?

GRACE: How about the chloroform and the dead body not being in the boyfriend`s car trunk?

ODOM: How many people had access to that trunk? And that`s a question the police haven`t asked yet, Nancy. Why don`t we ask it tonight?

GRACE: And how many people had access to Casey Anthony`s laptop with all the Web site searches to chloroform, and who was with the child last? I mean, Peter, you`ve got tunnel vision. You`re seeing what you want to see...

ODOM: I think the police have tunnel vision.

GRACE: ... and refusing to see -- and why is that?

ODOM: The police have only looked at Casey Anthony. They haven`t looked...

GRACE: Really?

ODOM: ... at any boyfriends as suspects.

GRACE: Is that -- why do you say that? Because they have interviewed every single person that she was telling the truth about that was in her life, including the ex-boyfriend, who is extremely cooperative, Anthony Lazarro (ph).

ODOM: Well, as I said, Nancy, I think that the police need to expand their search. This could very well...

GRACE: No, no!

ODOM: ... be an identity case.

GRACE: You said police have not talked to ex-boyfriends. In fact, they have.

ODOM: They`ve rejected them all as suspects. As soon as they deny that they were involved, they move on and move right back to Casey.

GRACE: No. Those boyfriends have given complete and full cooperation. And not only that, today, Penny Douglas Furr, renewed searches funded by the sheriff`s department for Caylee Anthony. Now, how is that police not cooperating?

PENNY DOUGLAS FURR, DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Well, it`s my understanding they`re looking for the body of Caylee Anthony, they`re not really looking for Caylee Anthony. If they`re in the woods, they`re looking for a body, they`re not looking for the child, if she`s alive.

GRACE: And do you believe that that is not cooperation, just because they`re not going along with Cindy Anthony`s theory about what happened?

FURR: Nancy, until they know, I think they should follow every lead. Whether she`s alive or dead-...

FURR: ... they should follow every possible lead.

GRACE: I want to go back out to Adam Longo with WKMG. I want to follow up on something California bounty hunter Leonard Padilla just told us, the possibility of a book or movie deal. Do you believe, Adam, that that`s who has put up the money to get her out of jail?

LONGO: Well, it`s not about what I believe, Nancy. I mean, I`m a reporter. It`s my job to report facts here. But I can tell you that I just got off the phone with Todd Black, who penned that release. I just got off the phone with him just about a half an hour ago. And I got -- the entire conversation was off the record, but I think it`s fair to say, my conversation with him, I got the impression that what his firm does is some sort of crisis intervention when it comes to high-profile cases involving the media like this.

So it would -- it would probably be my belief -- I think Leonard might be a little far-fetched on this. But if he`s still around, I want to ask him, you know, if he thinks that they`re out there making book and movie deals, what was he doing in this case to begin with?

GRACE: Adam Longo, since you said your beliefs are irrelevant, what exactly was the conversation that you had?

LONGO: I was just asking him about what...

GRACE: I asked you what was your conversation, the conversation you alluded to about the bail?

LONGO: The conversation?

GRACE: About the media release?

LONGO: Right. I was just speaking to him about what he`ll be doing for Mr. Baez.

GRACE: And what will he be doing?

LONGO: He`s going to be providing public relations support to him.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Cindy Anthony was on national TV saying that -- demanding an apology from the sheriff`s office.

CINDY ANTHONY: I want an apology from Kevin Berry.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It won`t happen. It won`t happen. We`re doing our job. What we need is credible information, especially from her daughter. And that`s the message I`ll send back to her.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

CASEY ANTHONY, MOTHER OF MISSING TODDLER: My daughter`s been missing for the last 31 days.

(END AUDIO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: ... lack of usable or reliable reporting information by the defendant.

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

911 OPERATOR: Why didn`t you call 31 days ago?

(END AUDIO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Remember, we had 30 days before we had this information.

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

CASEY ANTHONY: I`ve been looking for her.

(END AUDIO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: What we want to accomplish is get to the bottom of Caylee Marie Anthony`s disappearance.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: We are taking your calls live. Tonight, stunning development in the search for a little Caylee. Mom, Casey, is set to walk out of jail again. An anonymous benefactor is putting up the $500,000 bond amount, two bonding companies joined together to get mom, Casey, out of jail. As we saw last time, even when she was out of jail, she did not cooperate with police, did not attend vigils for her daughter and did not help in the volunteer searches. This as we learn not trace amounts but significant amounts of chloroform found in mom, Casey Anthony`s, car trunk.

You know, Dr. Kobilinsky, it took one of our producers about 10 minutes to buy chloroform on line.

KOBILINSKY: That`s quite impressive. You know, again, my understanding is, is that you simply can`t buy it unless there`s some -- some explanation, some legitimate use.

GRACE: Well, she did have to go through and make a bunch of checks on the Internet, but once she finished making all the checks in the boxes, you can buy chloroform on line. It`s not that difficult.

I want to go to Leonard Padilla, bounty hunter, who originally posted bond for Casey Anthony. What`s your response to Adam Longo?

PADILLA: Well, here`s another one for publicity purposes, I guess, Adam would say. I`m offering $50,000 cash if anybody provides information that will lead us to the body. I`m saying the body. I think she`s deceased. No questions asked. You don`t have to furnish a name, $50,000 cash if you provide the information to me as to where the body might be located.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

JOSE BAEZ, CASEY ANTHONY`S ATTORNEY: We have never, ever, ever told the police, Look, she`ll talk, but only if she`s released or granted immunity. And nothing like that ever transpired. I don`t know where it came from.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: What are your thoughts on immunity?

CINDY ANTHONY: She`s not accepting immunity. She doesn`t need immunity.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Well, according to documents from the state attorney`s office that I`ve got in my hand, it was him, Jose Baez, the defense attorney, who originally asked for immunity for Casey Anthony.

We are taking your calls live. Bombshell tonight. Mom, Casey Anthony, set to walk out of jail again, an anonymous benefactor putting up the $500,000 bond for her.

To Natisha Lance, standing by at the jail. Natisha, what are the conditions for her bond?

NATISHA LANCE, NANCY GRACE PRODUCER: Well, the conditions are of her bond, she has to be fitted for that ankle bracelet once again, Nancy, as she was before. She also has to have that phone line in her home that has no features on it, which is still -- as we could assume, still working at the home.

Also, she has to meet with her home confinement officer. If she meets with her confinement officer, she can`t wear any type of revealing clothing. She has to have scheduled appointments in order to leave the house. These things have to be scheduled before she can leave. And she has to be home. If she has a job, she has to go straight to work...

GRACE: Oh, I don`t think they`re going to have to worry, Drew Petrimoulx from WBDO, about her having a job. What time do you think she`s going to get out of jail, Drew?

DREW PETRIMOULX, WBDO: Well, when we spoke with the person -- the jail spokesman, he said that usually happens mid-morning. So she`ll have to be processed early on, and you know, anytime mid-morning, she could walk out of that Orange County jail.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We had higher hopes of finding her alive, and that hope is somewhat diminished.

TIM MILLER, HEAD OF TEXAS EQUUSEARCH, SEARCHING FOR CAYLEE ANTHONY: Right now it appears as though I probably need to pull off of this search.

CINDY ANTHONY, GRANDMOTHER OF MISSING TOT CAYLEE: Tim came out here with the understanding that we believe that Caylee is alive and that we wanted him to assist us in looking for her as a live person.

MILLER: If Casey got us out here and she gave that child to somebody she trusted and will not give up the name and phone number and wasting our resources for somebody that really needs us I feel used.

C. ANTHONY: Right now my gut is either she`s in Texas, Mexico, or Puerto Rico.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We need him to stay and after I talked to Tim this morning I think that he`s staying.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The bottom line is they are going to be searching areas that we`ve got concerns with.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: One of the things you we want to make sure is that we don`t lose focus on the overall investigation also, which is Caylee Anthony, a 3-year-old child that we`re trying to find.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

NANCY GRACE, HOST: Stunning development in the search for little Caylee Anthony. Mom Casey said she walk free in just a couple of hours at the very longest from the jail.

An anonymous benefactor has put up the $500,000 bond for her to walk free utilizing two separate Florida bail bondsmen.

Straight out to Natisha Lance, our producer standing by there at jail.

Natisha, has anyone -- is anyone able to determine from public documents who the benefactor is?

NATISHA LANCE, NANCY GRACE PRODUCER: No, Nancy. At this time, it`s an anonymous source. Jose Baez is even saying that he wants to keep this person anonymous. The person wants to remain anonymous because of all of the scrutiny that has been surrounding the case.

GRACE: And could you tell me, Natisha, what time you expect her to walk?

LANCE: She could actually walk out any minute out of these doors right behind me here, but what they are saying is that they think it will be midmorning tomorrow.

GRACE: And do you believe -- back out to Drew Petrimoulx, standing by from WDBO -- she could walk out earlier. That could that be a ruse to avoid media scrutiny.

DREW PETRIMOULX, REPORTER, WDBO RADIO: Well, I mean, I don`t think that she`s going to be coming out tonight. The press release that we got from the jail was midmorning tomorrow. And he said that she would be coming out right out of front doors at the jail there, the same place that she came out last time when she was surrounded by media.

So from all indications she`s coming out the same place as she did last time and media will, you know, be there.

GRACE: To Dr. Bethany Marshall, psychoanalyst and author, joining us tonight out of Los Angeles.

Bethany, to me, the second verse same as the first. Last time she got out, she did nothing to help police. Did not meet with police. Did not meet with the FBI. Did not help in the volunteer search for her daughter. Did not search on her own.

Did not even attend vigils that were in her front yard. Over loudspeakers. You couldn`t help but hear them on the inside of the house.

BETHANY MARSHALL, PSYCHOANALYST, AUTHOR OF "DEALBREAKERS": I know, I know.

You know, she just doesn`t seem to have any of these human emotions that would motivate someone to tell the truth. She`s not scared about where her daughter is. She doesn`t seem to have a sense of loss, panic, anxiety, fear.

She was led out in handcuffs and she did not flinch. And if she killed her child -- I don`t know if she did, but if she did -- that is the most heinous of acts. After that, it`s all downhill from there.

Nothing else scares you, and what concerns me even more, Cindy Anthony, in attacking the searchers, the sheriff, Tim Miller, she is attacking the truth. And if she cannot tell the truth internally, how can her own daughter tell the truth?

If she`s not in reality, how can her own daughter be in reality? The level of pathological denials that I have observed in that family as this case progresses is beginning to rise to the level of Casey`s pathological denial of the fact that you do not leave your child with a stranger and then go out dancing and lie to everybody about it.

GRACE: Back to Natisha Lance, our producer standing by there at jail. Casey Anthony`s set to walk out free on bond, yet again.

Natisha, we are talking about attacks made by grandmother, Cindy Anthony, on volunteer Texas Equusearchers, as well as others.

In a nutshell, Natisha, what were the attacks?

LANCE: Well, in a nutshell, Nancy, she is saying that Tim Miller and his crew were out here just for publicity sake. Kind of likening him to Leonard Padilla in saying that he had ill-intention, saying that he`s misrepresented himself and also saying that he misspoke by saying that she is not cooperating in trying to search for Caylee and saying that he had promised her that he was going to look for a Caylee who`s alive and not dead.

GRACE: With us tonight is the leader of Texas Equusearch, Tim Miller. And I`d like to remind everybody that Tim Miller is a crime victim himself.

Laura Miller, his 16-year-old daughter, was abducted and murdered. North Galveston County, Texas, back in 1984. She was last seen at a convenient store midday. She was going to walk home a very short distance.

After nearly two years, her remains were found near three other dead girls. And many, many times, he has stated he wished that even just one person, one person, had tried to help him find his daughter.

Mr. Miller, what do you make of these attacks?

MILLER: You know what, Nancy, I understand where the family`s coming from. That`s the worst time of their entire life and there will never be a worse time. And we`re doing everything we can do to find Caylee alive.

And I know for a fact, firsthand, that we cannot get any help myself because the police department had everybody convinced that my daughter was a runaway and she was alive. And unfortunately, she laid out there for 17 months, and I hope that Cindy is right. That Caylee`s alive out there.

But you know what, from my experience, I`m going to look for Caylee because everybody said my daughter was alive also. So we`re going to do everything that we can do. We still had people in the Dallas area.

We`re still working with a company that delivers to all the grocery stores and stuff across the nation that try to get Caylee`s picture out there. Try to get more leads coming in. But until that time, we are going to search.

You asked me a question again the other night and I got a little upset. No, I do not believe that Caylee is alive. And I think the search we`re putting together is going to be the biggest search that`s ever happened for this poor little girl.

And you know what? If something has happened to her, we want to go ahead and bring some type of closure to this community. Right now, we`re thinking about this community. Everybody that`s coming out and helping us and given from their hearts.

And my concern now is, you know what, we had such a positive attitude with all of the searchers today. There was new adrenaline.

GRACE: I`ve got to say -- I`ve got to say, Tim, you have really amassed quite a crew of volunteer searches.

Tim Miller is with us tonight, the head of Texas Equusearch, a volunteer search team, who is combing the area, mostly areas that police have led them to.

We are taking your calls live. Out to Cindy in Alabama, hi, Cindy.

CINDY, ALABAMA RESIDENT: Hi, Nancy. How are you doing?

GRACE: I`m good, dear, what`s your question?

CINDY: Yes, my question is, with all the evidence against her, why does she keep making bail? I don`t understand that. With the evidence in the car, she should still be in jail.

GRACE: You know what, Mike Brooks, I agree with Lenore. The problem is she has not been formally charged with murder.

MIKE BROOKS, FMR. DC POLICE DETECTIVE SERVED ON FBI TERRORISM TASK FORCE: No, she has not been charged at all. It`s all of the theft charges, you know, the child abuse charge. It`s -- she should -- she needs to be jail with the heat put on her by law enforcement.

If they didn`t do it -- she didn`t cooperate to begin with. Let her stay in jail. Let her stay in solitary confinement. You know, maybe she`ll one day crack but I tell you what Nancy, she may never.

GRACE: And back to Natisha Lance, standing by at the Orange County jail.

Natisha, what new charges is she looking at?

LANCE: She`s looking at two counts of uttering a forged check, two counts of petty theft, and two counts of fraudulent use of a personal I.D.

GRACE: And long story short, let`s unleash the lawyers, Eleanor Dixon, Peter Odom, Penny Douglass Furr.

Peter Odom, bottom line is she allegedly grabbed a friend`s checkbook, and went crazy. Sometimes signing her own name to somebody else`s checks.

PETER ODOM, DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Well, I think that that just shows a pattern of behavior throughout this woman`s life that she`s a pathological liar.

GRACE: And Eleanor, bottom line, if she gets, say, 30 years for these -- all of these charges, one on top of the other, 15 to 30, she`ll still only do two or three years on theft charges, on bad check charges.

ELEANOR DIXON, PROSECUTOR: That`s right. Why will the parole board keep her in when they have to keep in the murderers and hopefully she`ll be charged with that at some point.

GRACE: And very quickly, Penny Douglass Furr, what`s the state waiting on, on murder charges?

PENNY DOUGLASS FURR, DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Nancy, they do not have enough evidence at this point to convict her of murder. And so they can`t charge her until they have enough evidence. And they went to get a hot bond based on these little nonsense charges.

And they got a bond that was outrageous. And that`s why she`s getting out. She`s getting out because they don`t have enough evidence to charge this woman with murder.

GRACE: Very quickly, everybody, we are taking your calls live.

Mom Casey Anthony, set to walk out of Orange County jail. Standing by at the jail, our producer, Natisha Lance.

As we go to break, a very special happy birthday to two Georgia friends of the show - twins, teenagers, Nick and Zach Abram.

Aren`t the handsome? Happy birthday.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(NEWSBREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

BROOKS: She also said that she on July 15th had received a phone call and talked to Caylee.

CASEY ANTHONY, MOTHER OF MISSING TOT CAYLEE: I actually received a phone call today from a number that is no longer in service. I did get to speak to my daughter for about a moment -- about a minute.

BROOKS: Cell phone records say no incoming calls at all on that day.

CINDY ANTHONY: There were five incoming phone calls during that time.

GRACE: Well, don`t you have the phone records, Miss Anthony?

CINDY ANTHONY: I have them. I see them.

GRACE: Well why don`t you release them? Why don`t you release them? Show that police are wrong in this sworn affidavit to say that those calls didn`t come in.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

GRACE: Mom Casey Anthony set to walk out of the jail within hours. An anonymous benefactor putting up the $500,000 bond for her to walk free.

You know, Bethany Marshall, as she cooperates anymore than she did last time, we`ll be still at square one.

MARSHALL: Well, I have a hard time knowing what would even motivate her to cooperate at this point because the type of pathological lying she engages in, it tends to have a life of its own over time. You`ve seen convicted felons -- they sit on death row for 20 years.

Even despite the fact that they`ve been convicted, they continue to lie. This is the kind of pathological liar she is. Nothing is going to change at this point.

GRACE: Back to Dr. Lawrence Kobilinsky, renowned forensic scientist, joining us out of New York.

Koby, I`m shock that you think it so difficult to get chloroform online. I mean, bottom line, our producer was getting it for about 63 bucks. It took her 10 minutes.

LAWRENCE KOBILINSKY, FORENSIC SCIENTIST: Well, it`s not the price. The companies that supply this.

GRACE: Have you heard of that Internet thing?

KOBILINSKY: Yes, of course.

GRACE: You know, tick-tick-tick?

KOBILINSKY: Yes, I think that companies require that the purchaser demonstrate proof that they`re either an educational institution or a functional laboratory.

GRACE: Koby.

KOBILINSKY: Yes.

GRACE: All that you do is you put -- you type an X in a block and say, yes, I`m 18. Yes, I`m an institution. Boom. You get your chloroform.

KOBILINSKY: Well, it`s a carcinogen. It shouldn`t be available to the public.

GRACE: Should of, would of, could of. Don`t care. It`s in her car trunk.

KOBILINSKY: Well, if it`s there, we.

GRACE: And what is this you`re telling me last night about how it can be a byproduct of -- for instance pool cleaner?

KOBILINSKY: Well, I think you asked me what are the possible mechanisms for.

GRACE: Because you said it was possible.

KOBILINSKY: Well, I -- one of the original syntheses involved bleach and ethanol or acetone, things of that sort. So you can get traces of chloroform. And I`m not saying that`s the likelihood here.

If they really got significant amounts, that would change the story a bit.

GRACE: A bit?

KOBILINSKY: A bit.

GRACE: You`re darn right, a bit.

Explain that, Mike Brooks?

BROOKS: You know, Nancy, Dr. Kobilinsky -- he`s the expert in this. But, you know, just -- chloroform, just like my chemist buddies said.

GRACE: Well, I mean, chloroform is most often detected in movies and in books.

BROOKS: Yes, right, and you know.

GRACE: . where someone sneaks up.

BROOKS: Right.

GRACE: . with the chloroform rag, puts it over you, and you pass out just like that.

BROOKS: Right.

GRACE: That`s what chloroform is.

BROOKS: You know, and it echoes to the theory now, Nancy. You know there`s another speculation.

GRACE: You can actually die from chloroform inhalation.

BROOKS: That`s exactly right and now that goes to the theory now that some people are putting out there -- speculative theory at best -- that maybe she used that to try to put the baby to sleep so that she could go out and party, and then she -- she possibly overdosed the baby.

That`s one theory out there now.

GRACE: There are so many theories about what happened.

BROOKS: There are.

GRACE: To Linda in Michigan, hi, Linda.

LINDA, MICHIGAN RESIDENT: Hey, Nancy, how are you?

LINDA: I have two comments.

LINDA: First of all, I cannot -- I simply cannot understand why Casey`s parents cannot convince Casey to explain her behavior regarding Caylee. As a parent myself, I`m sure I would try all avenues for my daughter to tell the truth. At least tell the truth to her mother or father.

Secondly, has there been a request for a polygraph to be administered of Casey?

GRACE: You know I want to go back out to Natisha Lance, our producer, standing by the Orange County jail.

Have they asked Casey Anthony to take a polygraph? Or has she offered to take a polygraph?

LANCE: No, offer to take a polygraph at this time, Nancy. Her attorney, Jose Baez, said, there`s no need for a polygraph because she`s not lying about anything and she`s been upfront and honest.

GRACE: Well, one thing about a polygraph if she passed it, it would help rule her out and police could then go on and look more intensely at other possibilities. By not taking a polygraph and it`s actually hindering the investigation.

To Jane in Florida, hi, Jane.

JANE, FLORIDA RESIDENT: Hey, Nancy. This case is very dear to my heart. I have a 3-year-old and I don`t live far from Orlando. But my question was -- I had a question for the psychoanalyst.

JANE: What does she think about Casey saying on her phone calls in the jail that she thought that Caylee was close by? Does that mean, with her a pathological liar that she could have twisted the truth and she could literally be close to home?

GRACE: Bethany?

MARSHALL: Well, I think that`s very insightful because the way Casey lies is she picks up on bits and pieces of the truth and she weaves them into the lie.

So when she says they`re close to -- she`s close to home, is she saying she killed her and she`s close to home? Or she passed her off and she`s close to home?

You know, you kind of have to weave that into the understanding of what she really meant.

GRACE: And very quickly, Eleanor, have you ever tried to interview somebody like Casey Anthony that just talks in circles no matter what you ask them?

DIXON: Oh yes. I`ve seen that many a time, and it`s sometimes very difficult to get to the small kernel of truth that`s in there.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

GRACE: Mom Casey Anthony set to walk out of the Orange County jail. An anonymous benefactor putting up her bond.

Out to the lines, Lauren in New Jersey, hi, Lauren.

LAUREN, NEW JERSEY RESIDENT: Hi, Nancy. This is Lauren from New Jersey.

GRACE: What`s your question, dear?

LAUREN: I want to know as to -- if the family believes that the little girl is still alive, as to why there`s been, like, no AMBER Alert or anything like that has been put out?

GRACE: Interesting.

Mike Brooks?

BROOKS: Because right now it does not fit the criteria for an AMBER Alert because there is no lookout, there is no vehicle, there is nothing to -- nobody to look for.

GRACE: You know, Eleanor Dixon, Peter Odom, Penny Douglass Furr -- Penny, what`s the likelihood that there is a tap on the lines of Casey Anthony or in her home?

DOUGLASS FURR: I`d say about 99.99 percent that there is a tap on the phone?.

GRACE: Odom?

ODOM: Absolutely. The police are looking at everything and they`d be foolish not to be doing that. So, yes, they are.

GRACE: Eleanor?

DIXON: Well, of course, we all know there`s a wire tap. No question.

GRACE: And you know, bottom line, you can stand outside in somebody`s front yard and get their cell phone conversation. You practically don`t even need a tap for that but you have to go through the same legal criteria to get a cell phone tap.

Eleanor?

DIXON: Yes, that`s true. I mean you have to follow a certain procedure and have a judge sign that wiretap.

GRACE: Everybody, let`s stop and remember Army Corporal Benjamin Brosh, 22, Colorado Springs, Colorado, killed Iraq.

Awarded the National Defense Service medal, Army Service Ribbon, and Global War on Terrorism Service medal. Adventurous, loved soccer with Iraqi kids, crabbing, fishing, golf and snowboarding.

Leaves behind parents, Jane and Barbara.

Benjamin Brosh, American hero.

Thanks to our guests but especially to you for being with us. And our thoughts and prayers with those searchers, searching for little Caylee in Florida.

I`ll see you tomorrow night, 8:00 sharp Eastern, and until then, good night, friend.

END

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0809/04/ng.01.html

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.