April 26, 2024, 05:35:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #12 10/04 - 12/16/2008  (Read 151516 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #740 on: November 16, 2008, 08:04:25 PM »

Klaas,
I know at one time you said you were quite a way from any of the fire but can you smell the smoke yet?

I am praying for all the monkeys who this is impacting. Stay safe.

Sam

No, the fires and wind is such that I don't smell anything at all.  IBE was alot closer and probably downwind from the fire near Los Angeles. 

Hopefully she'll check in with us soon.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #741 on: November 17, 2008, 09:45:51 AM »

Mrs. Owl spoke with her son this weekend and the fires were not affecting them in the least.  There was a problem with the electrical grid.  Even with 90 degree temps they were warned not to use air conditioners because of the danger for a "brown out."

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #742 on: November 17, 2008, 11:17:02 AM »

Mrs. Owl spoke with her son this weekend and the fires were not affecting them in the least.  There was a problem with the electrical grid.  Even with 90 degree temps they were warned not to use air conditioners because of the danger for a "brown out."

GO, I'm glad the fires aren't a problem for your son.  I hope there won't be a brown out. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #743 on: November 17, 2008, 02:27:43 PM »

On the local news at noon they were saying that Los Angeles is very smoky right now. So sad for all the families.

They also said where the fire started was known as a hang out area for teens. They are investigating it to see if it could be arson related.

Sam

Just a swinging with the tribe
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #744 on: November 17, 2008, 08:32:37 PM »

When I read mobile park, I got a little nervous....hope we hear from IBE, soon.

Residents return to devastated LA mobile home park

By AMY TAXIN, Associated Press Writer Amy Taxin, Associated Press Writer Mon Nov 17, 4:14 pm ET
LOS ANGELES – Residents of a once neatly kept mobile home park returned Monday to see for themselves how a wildfire turned it into a desolate landscape of charred metal and blackened sticks.

One black van was used to ferry residents of the 484 homes destroyed by Saturday's inferno. White vans were used for residents of the roughly 120 homes that were still standing.

Ed Hurdle, 82, was among many retirees who lived at the Oakridge Mobile Home Park and saw all their belongings go up in flames.

"It's gone," Ed Hurdle said with little emotion after taking the first park tour organized by fire officials. "The car is gone. The house is gone. It's twisted metal. It's totally charred there. There's no hope at all. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing."

The tours came as calm winds and clear skies allowed firefighters to make gains on two Southern California wildfires that devastated hundreds of homes and forced thousands of residents to flee during the weekend. Most of the evacuation orders were lifted by Monday.

Since Thursday, three major fires have burned nearly 41,000 acres, or 64 square miles. Officials warned of another bad air day on Monday, and classes were canceled at dozens of schools near fire zones in Orange County. Many schools that were in session canceled outdoor activities due to acrid smoke.

In Los Angeles' Sylmar neighborhood, vans carried residents of the Oakridge park past the rubble and made brief stops so those who still had homes could collect medication or other essential items before returning to an evacuation center at Sylmar High School.

Betty Glassman, 78, was one of the lucky ones.

"My house was in great shape. All it was was dirty," she said, smiling. "I feel like I'm in a dream. Pinch me."

Among the dozens of people waiting at the school to take the tour was Tommy Reaves, 45, whose home was destroyed.

"I want to be able to stand in front of my house, and I'll have closure. I'll know it's gone," said Reaves, who paid $60,000 when he bought the three-bedroom, two-bathroom modular home in 2003, then did $40,000 worth of upgrades.

Even many of the homes that remain were badly damaged by the fast-moving fire. Cadaver dogs have been searching the burned units, but so far no bodies have been found.

Search dogs did locate cremated human remains, but a resident told police the ashes belonged to her husband, who died several years ago. Animal control recovered several dead animals and three live cats.

Elsewhere, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a state of emergency in San Bernardino County, the fourth county to receive the designation since a series of wildfires broke out last Thursday. The declaration directs state emergency workers to assist local firefighters in containing the blaze and evacuating residents.

The largest of the fires has burned more than 28,000 acres in Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino and Los Angeles counties and has destroyed more than 160 homes roughly 50 miles southeast of Sylmar.

The first of the wildfires broke out in the Montecito area of Santa Barbara County, about 90 miles northwest of Sylmar.

Wind gusts peaked at more than 70 mph at the height of the fires over the weekend, but weakened to about 20 mph on Sunday, the National Weather Service said.

"It's wonderful news," said Angela Garbiso, a spokeswoman with Orange County Fire Authority. "When it calms down, it obviously makes it easier for us to handle this massive undertaking."

The causes of all the fires were under investigation, although officials labeled the Santa Barbara-area fire "human-caused," said Doug Lannon, a spokesman with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Copyright © 2008 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.Questions or CommentsPrivacy PolicyTerms of ServiceCopyright/IP Policy

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081117/ap_on_re_us/wildfires

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Dolce
Monkey All Star

Del senno di poi ne son piene le fosse...

« Reply #745 on: November 19, 2008, 10:26:45 PM »

PLEASE ALL CALIFORNIA MONKEYS CHECK IN!!

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #746 on: November 20, 2008, 01:11:14 AM »

Dolce - I'm California, LouiseVargas, IBE, Shell, Frank are also California.  There are other members but I don't remember everyones name right now.

IBE hasn't posted but it looks like she was logged in today.  LouiseVargas, Frank and Shell have posted and they are fine.

(Frank is a poster in the NH thread  )

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #747 on: November 20, 2008, 08:27:50 AM »

Dolce - I'm California, LouiseVargas, IBE, Shell, Frank are also California.  There are other members but I don't remember everyones name right now.

IBE hasn't posted but it looks like she was logged in today.  LouiseVargas, Frank and Shell have posted and they are fine.

(Frank is a poster in the NH thread  )

Alrighty!  Good to hear everyone is safe.  Thanks for the update Klaas!

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #748 on: November 20, 2008, 09:35:43 AM »

I am here Sunny!

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #749 on: November 20, 2008, 09:39:51 AM »

I am here Sunny!

thanks....ok...how long does ones pants need to be if they are wearing wedges...

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #750 on: November 20, 2008, 09:41:37 AM »

I am here Sunny!

thanks....ok...how long does ones pants need to be if they are wearing wedges...

not sure if it makes any difference but the wedges have an ankle strap

Rest in Peace Caylee

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #751 on: November 20, 2008, 09:42:08 AM »

I am here Sunny!

Need to come down to cover the ankle portion of your foot.  But wear it if you got it!

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #752 on: November 20, 2008, 09:45:56 AM »

I am here Sunny!

Need to come down to cover the ankle portion of your foot.  But wear it if you got it!

that's what I thought...my DIL is trying to put together outfits to take to Jamaica next week...she is short, like me, 5'1" but she is heavier than I am.. me 8 petite...she 14 petite.she has beautiful while irish linen pants that come just a tad bit above her ankle and new wedges with a thin ankle strap...she tried them on last night and IMO it looked odd....made her look kinda of cut off....but I didn't say anything....I thought I'd ask you first...I guess I should just not say anything...

Rest in Peace Caylee

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #753 on: November 20, 2008, 09:48:04 AM »

Speaking of FASHION.  I think I have the approval of RED to create a special FASHION FORUM.  Dugga isn't as hot on the idea as Red is so I'm just waiting on the final OK.

Now...back you your regularly scheduled programming and I'll get back to my first cup of coffee 
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #754 on: November 20, 2008, 09:48:46 AM »

I am here Sunny!

that's what I thought...my DIL is trying to put together outfits to take to Jamaica next week...she is short, like me, 5'1" but she is heavier than I am.. me 8 petite...she 14 petite.she has beautiful while irish linen pants that come just a tad bit above her ankle and new wedges with a thin ankle strap...she tried them on last night and IMO it looked odd....made her look kinda of cut off....but I didn't say anything....I thought I'd ask you first...I guess I should just not say anything...

PS...THANK YOU

Rest in Peace Caylee

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #755 on: November 20, 2008, 09:49:36 AM »

Speaking of FASHION.  I think I have the approval of RED to create a special FASHION FORUM.  Dugga isn't as hot on the idea as Red is so I'm just waiting on the final OK.

Now...back you your regularly scheduled programming and I'll get back to my first cup of coffee 

Oh no young lady...you have to come to my house and clean up after posting that picture of the female agent

Rest in Peace Caylee

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #756 on: November 20, 2008, 10:23:31 AM »

For those concerned, IBE has posted today in NH threads.  IBE, you were missed. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #757 on: November 20, 2008, 11:10:22 AM »

For those concerned, IBE has posted today in NH threads.  IBE, you were missed. 

thank goodness and thanks to you Muffy for telling us.....I finally heard from my friends who had to leave their home...they too are OK....as is their house.

Rest in Peace Caylee

blessedx3
Scared Monkey

« Reply #758 on: November 20, 2008, 12:31:29 PM »

Hi Dolce,
This is for you! I also have twins, boy and girl, different as night and day! Not a day goes by, that I Thank God for my double blessings (I call them my 2fer lol). They will be 11 Dec. 8th, I also have a 14 year old. God has blessed me so much. Enjoy and savor everyday, they grow up SO FAST! They are just now beginning to get their own friends, that has just happened within the past year. It's that word called "puberty" UGG. When they were little Kyle who is 60 sec older than Kelly, would hold her hand at the dr's, and also get his shots first, so she would not be scared. You will be amazed at the "twin" language, the inseperable way they are. I have posted pics of them. To be fair and balanced I also included my oldest daughter Christine.

Saved by Grace~~~Child of God
blessedx3
Scared Monkey

« Reply #759 on: November 20, 2008, 12:40:36 PM »

Hi Dolce,
This is for you! I also have twins, boy and girl, different as night and day! Not a day goes by, that I Thank God for my double blessings (I call them my 2fer lol). They will be 11 Dec. 8th, I also have a 14 year old. God has blessed me so much. Enjoy and savor everyday, they grow up SO FAST! They are just now beginning to get their own friends, that has just happened within the past year. It's that word called "puberty" UGG. When they were little Kyle who is 60 sec older than Kelly, would hold her hand at the dr's, and also get his shots first, so she would not be scared. You will be amazed at the "twin" language, the inseperable way they are. I have posted pics of them. To be fair and balanced I also included my oldest daughter Christine.

ok, messed that up! one more time!

Saved by Grace~~~Child of God
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.