March 29, 2024, 08:37:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Embarracuda  (Read 2615 times)
caesu
Monkey Junky

« on: October 06, 2008, 11:19:40 PM »

October 6, 2008 10:07
Embarracuda

Posted by Joe Klein

I'm of two minds about how to deal with the McCain campaign's further descent into ugliness. Their strategy is simple: you throw crap against a wall and then giggle as the media try to analyze the putresence in a way that conveys a sense of balance: "Well, it is bull-pucky, but the splatter pattern is interesting..." which, of course, only serves to get your perverse message out. I really don't want to be a part of that. But...every so often, we journalists have a duty to remind readers just how dingy the McCain campaign, and its right-wing acolytes in the media (I'm looking at you, Sean Hannity) have become--especially in their efforts to divert public attention from the economic crisis we're facing. And so inept at it: other campaigns have decided that their only shot is going negative, but usually they don't announce it, as several McCain aides have in recent days--there's no way we can win on the economy, so we're going to go sludge-diving.

But since we are dealing with manure here, I'll put the rest of this post below the fold.

It is appropriate that the prime vessel for this assault is Sarah Palin, whose very presence on a national ticket is an insult to your intelligence. She now has "credibility," we are told, because she managed to read talking points off notecards in the debate last week with unwitting enthusiasm.

Over the weekend, she picked up on an article in The New York Times, which essentially says that Barack Obama and the former terrorist Bill Ayers have crossed paths in Chicago, served on a couple of charitable boards together, but aren't particularly close. To Palin--or her scriptwriters--this means that Obama has been "palling around" with terrorists. Now, I wish Ayers had done some serious jail time; he certainly needed to pay some penance for his youthful criminality--even if most people in Chicago, including the mayor, have decided that he has something of value to say about education. But I can also understand how Obama, who was a child when Ayers was cutting his idiot swath, would not quite understand the enormity of the professor's background. (I got to know Alger Hiss twenty years after the fact--he was a printing salesman then, a friend of my father's--and thought of him as a sweet old man, if a good deal more liberal than dad's other friends.)

In any case, this is rather rich coming from Palin, who is married to a man who belonged to a political party--the Alaskan Independence Party--that wanted to secede from the union. (I should add here that the Times may have been overreacting to the McCain campaign's attack on its fairness here: the Ayers story was a nothingburger, but it was placed prominently in the top left hand corner of page one--a position that would seem to indicate that it contained important news, which it didn't.)

Then we have the ever-reliable Bill Kristol, in today's New York Times, advising Palin to bring up the Reverend Jeremiah Wright. Palin, of course, believes that's a darn good idea:

“To tell you the truth, Bill, I don’t know why that association isn’t discussed more, because those were appalling things that that pastor had said about our great country, and to have sat in the pews for 20 years and listened to that — with, I don’t know, a sense of condoning it, I guess, because he didn’t get up and leave — to me, that does say something about character. But, you know, I guess that would be a John McCain call on whether he wants to bring that up.”

So then, I'd guess, it would be appropriate to bring up some of the nuttiness that passes for godliness in Palin's religious life. Leave aside the fact that The Embarracuda allowed herself to participate in a cermony that protected her from witchcraft, how about her presence--she didn't "get up and leave"-- at a sermon by the founder of Jews for Jesus, who argued that the Palestinian terrorist acts against Israel were God's "judgment" on the Jews because they hadn't accepted Jesus.

Speaking of Jews, the ever-execrable Sean Hannity has been having intercourse with a known Jew-hater named Andy Martin, who now wants to expose Barack Obama as a Muslim. According to the Washington Times:

In 1986, when Mr. Martin ran as a Democrat for Connecticut's 3rd Congressional District seat under the name "Anthony R. Martin-Trigona," his campaign committee filed papers saying its purpose was to "exterminate Jew power in America and impeach U.S. District Court of Appeals judges in New York City."

Calling all Podhoretzs! Where's the outrage? I mean, don't the hateful doings at Palin's church and Hannity's perfidy deserve a lengthy exegesis from Pete Wehner or Jennifer Rubin or one of the other empretzled ideologues over at Commentary?

As I said, I'm of two minds about this. I don't want to give currency to this sewage, so it will remain below the fold. And I'll try to devote the lion's share of my time to the issues--the war, the economic crisis, the fraying health insurance system, the environment--that should define this campaign. But what a desperate empty embarrassment the McCain campaign has become.

http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/10/embarracuda.html

sums it up for me pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvXf9AUHTqM

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 07:44:09 AM »

caesu - everyone is entitled to their opinion but there are some 'facts' you may be unaware of regarding previous campaigns that have some relevance here.

-- Clinton was in fact just a governor when he first ran for President, not VP but President
-- His state was Arkansas which is far smaller than the state of Alaska and also with far less impact to our overall GNP
-- Clinton was an exercise in on-the-job-training at it's riskiest as a result

Many of the statements in this diatribe you posted simply do not hold water for me. Why isn't Alaska about to slide into oblivion if Palin is so inept as this writer would swear that she is???? I mean really......let's get a grip here.

Hannity in fact, is not running for office. That being said I would be equally appalled if republican groupie blog writers were to advance that because Keith Olberman supports Obama we should consider all of his associations and statements a risk to our presidential election process or vote? Again, I mean really.......let's get a grip here.

However, I do feel that Bill Ayers is a BIG issue for Obama. Obama's first ever political meeting to garner support for his own campaigning in Chicago occurred in Ayer's home. That's a rather big pig for Obama and his supporters to try to put some lipstick on. I do not feel and I feel this strongly, that any citizen who ever executes a terrorist act against our country should ever play a role in our government or our schools. I'm all for freedom of thought and questioning our powers that be, but Ayers didn't follow sane avenues to do this. I don't think he should ever be forgiven for what he did either, not by our government.

I continue to stand with the girl.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 07:48:43 AM »

and furthermore, Palin's husband's affiliation with the Alaskan Independence Party should be examined, I am all for that.

as for sermons in church one has to ask, if you intend to examine Palin's then you must examine Obama's. Obama's church and Rev Wright on the whole, are far more inflammatory than anything Palin's church has evidenced to date. There frankly is no comparison.

Once again I will state I am not entirely happy with our choices in this election but when it comes to fear of the repercussions of intended policies and possibly lies of one candidate that will impact our future over another, Obama wins that race hands down.

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 12:04:22 PM »

Smears?

Alaskan Independence Party

Contrary to initial reports, Vice-President candidate Governor Sarah Palin was never a member of our party. We stand corrected. We issued a press release today. It is posted here to those members of the media who did not recieve it.

Todd Palin was registered as a member but never participated in any party activities aside from attending a convention in Wasilla at one time.

We had several hundred people attend that convention and nothing of noteworthy status took place outside of nominating the most conservative candidate up to that date to ever run for Governor of Alaska. That candidate was the sitting Lt. Governor, Jack Coghill. This man was one of the authors and signers of the Constitution of the State of Alaska.

For ALL Media contact. Please contact Lynette Clark, Alaskan Independence Party Chair

We are the only Alaskan political party that is entirely comprised of Alaskans, staffed by Alaskans and financed by Alaskans. We are not affiliated with any political party with a similiar sounding name in other parts of the United States.

The continual growth of membership of the Alaskan Independence Party has created one of the largest third parties in the United states. We used to be the largest, so we are trying harder to regain that position. Join us as we lead Alaska to the prosperity and freedom that Alaskans expect, deserve and should enjoy.

The AIP is Proud to support Bob Bird for the Senate of the United States. For more information on Mr. Bird, please visit his web site. We have also endorsed the Presidential candidacy of the Constitution Party, Charles Baldwin.

The Alaskan Independence Party can be summed up in just two words:

ALASKA FIRST!

Until we as Alaskans receive our Ultimate Goal, the AIP will continue to strive to make Alaska a better place to live with less government interference in our everyday lives.
The Alaskan Independence Party's goal is the vote we were entitled to in 1958, one choice from among the following four alternatives:

1) Remain a Territory.
2) Become a separate and Independent Nation.
3) Accept Commonwealth status.
4) Become a State.

The call for this vote is in furtherance of the dream of the Alaskan Independence Party's founding father, Joe Vogler, which was for Alaskans to achieve independence under a minimal government, fully responsive to the people, promoting a peaceful and lawful means of resolving differences.

http://www.akip.org/

Press release here -

Press release with corrections from the AIP Chairman, Lynette Clark.
Most recently I have pulled the entire record regarding the Alaskan Independence Partys' 1994 Convention file. I went through all the video, audio and paper records for that function. Something I should have done earlier before making the statement that Governor Palin was a member of the Alaskan Independence Party. For that I humbly apologize to Governor Palin, and, to both national and local press, and media.

I, foolishly, repeated and accepted as fact what an officer of this membership shared with myself, and husband Dexter Clark, over a year ago. My statement was incorrect regarding the Governor's membership. What was correct was that Todd Palin was a member, that Sarah as a candidate for Governor appeared at the AIP Convention in 2006, and sent a welcoming DVD to the membership at the 2008 AIP statewide convention. Those truths do not take away my fault in mis-speaking regarding her membership. For that I do take full responsibility. I hold Governor Palin in high regard, I believe she is far and away the best individual Alaska could have as Governor, and as a woman, mother and wife is one of the best examples walking!

Thank you and again, I apologize to all.

Lynette Clark, Chairman
September 3, 2008

Platform and Goal of the

Preamble

We affirm that all political power is inherent in the people; that all government originates with the people, is founded on their will only, is instituted to protect the rights of the individual; that all persons have a natural right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the enjoyment of the rewards of their own industry; that all persons are equal and entitled to equal protection under the law. We stand on a firm constitutional foundation.
Platform

We pledge to exert our best efforts to accomplish the following:

To effect full compliance with the constitutions of the United States of America and the State of Alaska.

To support and defend States' Rights, Individual Rights, Property Rights, and the Equal Footing Doctrine as guaranteed by the constitutions of the United States of America and the state of Alaska.

To advocate the convening of a State Constitutional Convention at the constitutionally designated 10 year interval.

To reinforce the unalienable rights endowed by our Creator to Alaska law, by eliminating the use of the word "privilege" in the Alaska statutes.

To amend the Constitution of the State of Alaska so as to re-establish the rights of all Alaskan residents to entry upon all public lands within the state, and to acquire private property interest there in, under fair and reasonable conditions. Such property interest shall include surface and sub-surface patent.

To foster a constitutional amendment abolishing and prohibiting all property taxes.

To seek the complete repatriation of the public lands, held by the federal government, to the state and people of Alaska in conformance with Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17, of the federal constitution.

To prohibit all bureaucratic regulations and judicial rulings purporting to have the effect of law, except that which shall be approved by the elected legislature.

To preserve and protect the Alaska Permanent Fund, Permanent fund earnings, earnings reserve fund and individual Permanent Fund Dividends.

To provide for the direct popular election of the attorney general, all judges, and magistrates.

To provide for the development of unrestricted, statewide, surface transportation and utility corridors as needed by the public or any individual.

To affirm and assert every possible right-of-way established under R.S. 2477 of July 26, 1866, before its repeal by the Federal Land Management Policy Act of October 21, 1976.

To support the right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

To support the complete abolition of the concept of sovereign or governmental immunity, so as to restore accountability for public servants.

To support the rights of parents to privately or home school their children.

To support the privatization of government services.

To oppose the borrowing of money by government for any purposes other than for capital improvements.

To strengthen the traditional family and support individual accountability without government interference or regulation.

To support the right of jurors to judge the law as well as the facts, according to their conscience.

To support "Jobs for Alaskans...First!"[/
quote]

http://www.akip.org/platform.html

OMG!  Radical stuff here

http://www.akip.org/090308.html

IIRC, my state, Wisconsin has a city that declared independence from the Union many years ago...

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 12:46:59 PM »

she has some nerve to bring this Ayers guy up.
wait till more get to know this Vogler guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eniG9l_7its

"The fires of hell are frozen glaciers compared to my hatred for the American government,"

Vogler said in the interview, in which he talked extensively about his desire for Alaskan secession, the key goal of the AIP.

"And I won't be buried under their damn flag,"

all i am saying is that if McCain really wants to go mudslinging, it will hit him right back in the face.
i hope McCain will bring all the guild by associations up in the debate. including Wright.
i haven't seen this tape where Palin gets blessed by a witchdoctor played on MSM.
you might want to read up on this pastor Muthee.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Muthee

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 03:05:29 PM »

caesu, I would counter with my belief that Ayers has some nerve to ever be expected to be trusted by US citizens after his work as a terrorist. There are some lines an educated human who respects due process never crosses, he clearly crossed that line and as a result that is a life-changing circumstance. Ayers has no right even if he swears to be rehabilitated, to have an impact on policy or on our political process.

I also think Ayers is an internal issue, one that only citizens of the US who respect our Constitution would have an entitled opinion regarding.

As for Muthee I did just watch the entire video on YouTube and he does mention witchcraft but only once toward the end of the video. Honestly my take was he uses the word witchcraft and most other churches say the devil. I think this is also being blown up out of proportion for if I had inserted "devil" into the sentence in which he uses "witchcraft" it would have been synonymous with evangelical sermons I heard in my youth in the south.

Interesting sidenote though, for unlike Trinity Church and Rev Wright, it's a black man blessing a white woman?

Now that I can support caesu, white or caucasian and black or black-american on equal footing and supporting one another. I can't support talk of reparations or vengeful behavior such as Rev Wright espouses.

Another question for you, since Obama has stated he didn't always 'know' what Wright had in his sermons, do you think that absolves Obama of participation? If Trinity Church was the core of Obama's faith for 20 years, he was married there, he chose to have his children attend this church as well - why didn't he know what the head of his church stood for?

crazybabyborg
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 03:22:04 PM »

caesu, I would counter with my belief that Ayers has some nerve to ever be expected to be trusted by US citizens after his work as a terrorist. There are some lines an educated human who respects due process never crosses, he clearly crossed that line and as a result that is a life-changing circumstance. Ayers has no right even if he swears to be rehabilitated, to have an impact on policy or on our political process.

I also think Ayers is an internal issue, one that only citizens of the US who respect our Constitution would have an entitled opinion regarding.

As for Muthee I did just watch the entire video on YouTube and he does mention witchcraft but only once toward the end of the video. Honestly my take was he uses the word witchcraft and most other churches say the devil. I think this is also being blown up out of proportion for if I had inserted "devil" into the sentence in which he uses "witchcraft" it would have been synonymous with evangelical sermons I heard in my youth in the south.

Interesting sidenote though, for unlike Trinity Church and Rev Wright, it's a black man blessing a white woman?

Now that I can support caesu, white or caucasian and black or black-american on equal footing and supporting one another. I can't support talk of reparations or vengeful behavior such as Rev Wright espouses.

Another question for you, since Obama has stated he didn't always 'know' what Wright had in his sermons, do you think that absolves Obama of participation? If Trinity Church was the core of Obama's faith for 20 years, he was married there, he chose to have his children attend this church as well - why didn't he know what the head of his church stood for?

There's a money connection between Ayers, Obama, and Wright as well. Money from the grant that Ayers obtained, and Obama was hired to "lawyer" for, was distributed to Wright. Watch the CNN video clip that Truthseeker posted.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 03:41:26 PM »

I saw that CBB, it's like the bad penny that Obama can't shake from his boot. The network behind the man, the golden dragon's private network.

I am relieved to see all the pieces begin to clink louder and louder into place.

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 03:42:10 PM »

did you read how Muthee drove that woman out of that town in Kenya?
suggesting she was a witch?

Palin linked electoral success to prayer of Kenyan witchhunter

The pastor whose prayer Sarah Palin says helped her to become governor of Alaska founded his ministry with a witchhunt against a Kenyan woman who he accused of causing car accidents through demonic spells.
http://timesonline.typepad.com/uselections/2008/09/palin-linked-el.html

if McCain brings this Wright stuff up again - he has said he wouldn't.
he should be surprised if Palin gets asked about her witchhunter pastor.
(of course she would dodge that question with something about oil drilling)

however, i don't think this Ayers / Wright stuff is going to stick.
people who haven't made up their mind didn't care for that during the primaries, why should they do now?

of course the staunch McCain/Palin supporters are loving it now their ticket has gone negative.
but that's only driving others away from them towards Obama.
to me it's just another bad campaign strategy already backfiring for McCain.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 06:21:05 PM »

I didn't post I agreed with what he did to this woman in Kenya, please don't make assumptions.

You referenced the video, I watched it in entirety (which you had not) and used that for my frame of reference in my comments. We are talking about Palin, correct? Or can we discuss anyone ever feeling persecuted by Rev Wright also? Why didn't Oprah choose to attend Trinity church? Why DID Ayers choose to attend Trinity church? Those are the questions in the forefront of my mind.

If you think the distribution of 50M into the hands of Ayers and Wright or significant portions of it isn't worthwhile debate in this election, then let's let the public decide. They haven't had all of the information, that's why I heard that clinking sound today. Way back when Obama first announced his candidacy I posted that all of the puzzle pieces were not in place, all the pieces we had then didn't fit.

I do think the whole picture of Obama is emerging and I think we have until early November to flush that truth out. Toward that end McCain has lived nearly all of his adult life under that hot eye of scrutiny as a politician. If Keating is the only scandal you can unearth I'd say he's miles ahead of Obama in that regard now.

Jury is still out......we shall see for now even CNN is exposing it. None of us can predict the impact at this juncture but we surely know that you caesu, find Obama invincible.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.