April 19, 2024, 07:23:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alaskan Legislative Council: Palin abused power - Troopergate  (Read 2387 times)
caesu
Monkey Junky

« on: October 10, 2008, 08:34:58 PM »

http://download1.legis.state.ak.us/DOWNLOAD.pdf

Troopergate report: Palin abused power

Anchorage Daily News

Published: October 10th, 2008 04:29 PM
Last Modified: October 10th, 2008 04:29 PM

An investigation has concluded that Gov. Sarah Palin abused her power, according to a report just now unanimously released by the legislative council.

The report by investigator Steve Branchflower found that Palin violated the state's executive branch ethics act, which says that "each public officer holds office as a public trust, and any effort to benefit a personal or financial interest through official action is a violation of that trust."

Branchflower was investigating whether Palin abused her power by pushing for the firing of state trooper Mike Wooten, who once was married to the governor's sister.

http://www.adn.com/palin/story/552393.html

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 07:24:02 PM »

October 11, 2008

A HISTORIC TICKET.... Now that Sarah Palin has been found to have abused her powers, violated state ethics, and lied about it, I did a little digging and found an interesting historical footnote.

The McCain/Palin ticket is the first in American history in which both candidates were found to have violated ethics standards before a national election.

McCain, of course, was admonished by Senate Ethics Committee "for exercising 'poor judgment' for intervening" with federal regulators on behalf of Charles Keating, as part of the infamous Keating Five scandal.

And now McCain's running mate has also been found to have violated state ethics laws and abused the powers of her office, as part of the "Troopergate" scandal.

The nation has had 102 major-party tickets covering 51 presidential elections over more than two centuries. And we've never had a ticket in which both candidates on the same ticket were responsible for ethics violations before a national election. McCain/Palin is the first.

It makes the whole "reform" pitch a little more difficult, doesn't it?

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2008_10/015130.php

mavericks...

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 11:59:34 PM »

caesu-

I need more details than this to make an accurate judgment, I would suggest that so do you. As the days progress and Palin responds or the campaign does, then once we do have details I will make a judgment then.

I find it disconcerting that this committee hasn't listed out the exact reasons why Wooten was fired either, even though they obviously agreed with her decision to fire him.

This isn't a clear picture at all.

I continue to stand with the girl.
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 12:46:43 AM »

caesu-

I need more details than this to make an accurate judgment, I would suggest that so do you. As the days progress and Palin responds or the campaign does, then once we do have details I will make a judgment then.

I find it disconcerting that this committee hasn't listed out the exact reasons why Wooten was fired either, even though they obviously agreed with her decision to fire him.

This isn't a clear picture at all.

of course the McCain/Palin campaign is downplaying this.

Palin: Probe Exonerated Me

Oct. 12, 2008(CBS/AP)
Despite the finding of a legislative report that she had broken the state's ethics law in the scandal dubbed Troopergate, Alaska Governor Sarah Palin said Saturday that the report actually cleared her of any "legal wrongdoing or unethical activity."

The report, which was released by Alaska lawmakers Friday, examined whether Palin abused the powers of her office by exerting pressure to have her ex-brother-in-law, an Alaska State Trooper engaged in a bitter divorce and child custody fight with her sister, fired. After the state's public safety commissioner Walter Monegan rebuffed pressure to fire him, Monegan was fired by Palin.

The report affirmed that, as governor, she had the constitutional right to hire and fire at will, and therefore her termination of Monegan was lawful.

However, the report found that Palin, her husband Todd, and her subordinates used pressure and intimidation to try to force the firing of Michael Wooten, beginning before her swearing-in ceremony took place, and therefore broke the law.

The investigation said she violated Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act, which states, "… each public officer holds office as a public trust, and any effort to benefit a personal or financial interest through official action is a violation of that trust."

Palin said she's happy the report affirmed her right to fire Monegan. But she said she still doesn't think she abused her power like the report says she did. In fact, she said she considered herself vindicated.

In a brief conference call with press reported by the Anchorage Daily News, Palin said, "I’m very, very pleased to be cleared of any legal wrongdoing … any hint of any kind of unethical activity there. Very pleased to be cleared of any of that."

Palin said that her husband Todd was justified in complaining about Trooper Wooten (which the report finds he did for months on end), and said there was "nothing to apologize [for] there with Todd’s actions, and again very pleased to be cleared of any legal wrongdoing."

When reminded that the report's first finding was that she had broken the state's ethics law in pressuring for Wooten's dismissal, Palin responded that she felt she had done nothing wrong at all, and directed her response to the firing of Monegan, which the report said she had the authority to do:

"I think that you’re always going to ruffle feathers as you do what you believe is in the best interest of the people whom you are serving. In this case I knew that I had to have the right people in the right position at the right time in this cabinet to best serve Alaskans, and Walt Monegan was not the right person at the right time to meet the goals that we had set out in our administration.

"So no, not having done anything wrong, and again very much appreciating being cleared of any legal wrongdoing or unethical activity at all."

During the call she said she thought the investigation "did turn into a partisan circus."

The Republican-led state legislature began the bipartisan investigation in July. Palin at first agreed to participate, saying that she had nothing to hide.

However, once she was named to the GOP ticket in late August, her cooperation ceased. Subpoenaed witnesses refused to give testimony, and the state's Attorney General, a Palin appointee, tried to get a judge to kill the subpoenas, claiming they were not valid.

The McCain campaign sought to characterize the investigation as a partisan effort aimed at undercutting her vice presidential bid, and was behind legal efforts to block the release of the report, or at least delay it until after Election Day.

Palin's office had accused the head of the investigation of being partisan, when a Wall Street Journal interview with State Sen. Hollis French, a Democrat, implied that the Governor would face impeachment following the probe.

French explained to the Anchorage Daily News that he'd told the Journal that nothing might come of the investigation or, in a worst-case scenario, it could lead to impeachment proceedings, but that the paper didn't use his entire quote. He said the Palin administration overreacted.

After Palin stopped cooperating, more ink was spilled when French talked to ABC News. In a comment about the GOP's vetting process of Palin for the vice presidential spot, he said, "If they had done their job they never would have picked her. Now they may have to deal with an October surprise."

That comment fueled criticism from the Republicans that the investigation was being turned into a smear job, despite the fact that Stephen Branchflower, the lead investigator, was a highly respected former prosecutor.

While the report said Palin broke state ethics laws, it is not within the legislature domain to devise punishment, if any.

That is up to the state Personnel Board, which is made up of three members appointed by the Governor's office.

Palin herself re-appointed one member last year, and another member contributed to her gubernatorial campaign.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/12/politics/main4516113.shtml

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 03:35:29 PM »

Palin: I've been cleared of 'any hint of unethical activity'
Posted: 09:44 PM ET

(CNN) — Sarah Palin told Alaska reporters Saturday that she had been “cleared of any legal wrongdoing, any hint of unethical activity” in the investigative report released the day before that explored her actions in dismissing a state official who refused to get her ex-brother-in-law fired from the state police.

"Well, I’m very very pleased to be cleared of any legal wrongdoing, any hint of any kind of unethical activity there,” Palin said on a Saturday conference call with reporters from the Anchorage Daily News, KTVA-Channel 11 and KTUU-Channel 2. “Very pleased to be cleared of any of that."

She repeated the same contention on the trail Saturday: When a reporter asked if she had abused her power in firing Walt Monegan, the state police chief who would not dismiss her ex-brother-in-law Mike Wooten from the force, she said the report showed she had done nothing wrong. “No, and if you read the read the report you will see that there was nothing unlawful or unethical about replacing a cabinet member," Palin responded before boarding her campaign bus. "You got to read the report, sir."

Palin had the authority to fire Monegan, but the report by former Anchorage prosecutor Stephen Branchflower concluded that she abused her power as Alaska's governor, and violated state ethics law by trying to get Wooten fired from the state police.

"Governor Palin knowingly permitted a situation to continue where impermissible pressure was placed on several subordinates in order to advance a personal agenda," the report states.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/12/palin-ive-been-cleared-of-any-hint-of-unethical-activity/

i wonder if she acrtually had read the report herself.

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 12:40:30 PM »

Finding Number One

For the reasons explained in section IV of this report, I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.51.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act. Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) provides

"The legislature reaffirms that each public officer holds office as a public trust, and any effort to benefit a personal or financial interest through official action is a violation of that trust."

Slogger
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 03:17:47 PM »

This lawsuit was going nowhere before Sarah Palin was the VP nominee.

This lawsuit went nowhere and produced 1,000 pages of information.

Abuse of Ethics is a "catch-all" for political opponents, and those opponents sent investigators all over Alaska determined to find anything at all.

ACORN-gate is going to reveal far more than troopergate.
ACORN-gate is going to mushroom from bottom to top.
ACORN-gate is going to point to abuse of power at taxpayer expense.

It's deeper; it's wider; it's dirtier, more corrupt: AND, the net may be huge.

Troopergate determined that there was nothing illegal.
ACORN-gate could make Watergate look like a one-act play.

Constitution101    hillsdale.edu/constitution/
Courtesy is requested; Respect is Earned.
Pace Yourself, for the LongHaul.  MOs
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.