March 29, 2024, 12:23:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pakistani President General Pervez Musharraf  (Read 4179 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« on: September 22, 2006, 09:54:05 PM »

In the past, before the Scared Monkeys server crashed, I created a thread about Pervez Musharraf regarding whether he is our friend or not.  He is very well educated, even brilliant but he came into power in Pakistan after he organized a coup to get rid of the previous government. He was never elected by the people. Before September 11, he appeared in a military uniform because he was a General. After September 11, he appeared in an immaculate and expensive western business suit, shirt and tie, speaking meticulous English.

He is walking a tightrope between trying to sound like he is part of the Coalition of the Willing and trying to placate the Taliban and giving Bin Laden refuge on the border of Pakistan and Afghanistan.  He talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk.  I admire him very much regarding how well he has handled being on the world stage but I do not think he is really our friend.

This is the latest.  I hate to believe the US threatened him ... but I think it's very true.
WASHINGTON (CNN) 9/22/06 -- President Bush on Friday said he was "taken aback" by a report that a US official threatened that the United States would attack Pakistan if it did not help immediately after 9/11. Bush said he first heard of the alleged threat "in the newspaper today." "I was taken aback by the harshness of the words," he said. "All I can tell you is that shortly after 9/11, Secretary [of State] Colin Powell came in and said President Musharraf understands the stakes, and he wants to join and help root out an enemy that has come and killed 3,000 of our citizens."

Bush made the remarks at a White House news conference with Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, thanking the US ally for his role in the war on terror. He praised Pakistani President Gen. Pervez Musharraf for being one of the first foreign leaders to come out after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks to stand with the US.

The Pakistan president has told CBS News that -- immediately following the September 11, 2001, attacks -- the Bush administration threatened to bomb his country. In the CBS report, Musharraf said, "The intelligence director told me that [Armitage] said, 'Be prepared to be bombed. Be prepared to go back to the Stone Age.' " Armitage, then deputy secretary of state, told Pakistan's intelligence director that the United States would bomb his country if it didn't help fight terrorists.

"It did not happen," Armitage said. He said he had a State Department cable of his conversation with the intelligence chief read to him Friday "and there was, in no way, that threat. It was a strong, straightforward conversation," Armitage said. He said he intended to communicate to the Pakistani official the feelings of Americans about being attacked. "But we have made very clear that we went straight to President Musharraf in the days after 9/11 and said it's time to make a choice: Are you going to side with the civilized world or are you going to side with the Taliban and al-Qaida."

Musharraf was asked Friday about the CBS report, but he said he couldn't talk about it because of a legal agreement with his publisher before the release of his new memoir next week. "I am honor bound to Simon & Schuster not to comment on the book" before it's published, he said.

"I think it was a very rude remark," Musharraf told reporter Steve Kroft, the AP said. But Musharraf said he reacted in a responsible way. "One has to think and take actions in the interests of the nation and that is what I did," he said, according to the AP.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 10:05:09 PM »

Louise,

I was naive enough to think he was our ally.   I also wondered if he only said that to placate the Taliban for now.   If it's true we truly threatened him to get what we want, it was eventually going to come out and bite us, like so many events before.  It's really scary what is taking place since the meetings at UN.  It was a free for all.   What pisses me off so much, is we give the UN BILLIONS of dollars!  for what?????   United Nothin!   OH, makes me soooo mad!    We pay this amount to allow these countries to come and bash us???   Well, as Red said, it is a double edged sword.  But the UN is freakin' ridiculous!

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 10:36:27 PM »

I am not sure the remark was taken in context....

I need to do some more research... I think that Musashariff will do whatever it takes to stay in power... doesn't matter by which means...

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 11:15:24 PM »

I think Musharraf is as much of an ally as he can be, considering the circumstances of his country.

Don't think he has much choice but to walk a tightrope between the Islamists and the Western World.

I think he would very much like to be a part of the Western World but can't because of the religious/tribal tensions in his country.
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 10:18:24 PM »

I tend to agree Carnut.   That's sort of always been my thought.  But I found it pretty bold to say what he said about Armatage's threat.  Of course he is trying to promote his book.  He even said, "you have to wait to read my book" when asked about  his remarks.  I guess we wait and see, though I doubt I'll buy his book..

blah
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 08:26:37 PM »

With the exception of Britain, we have no friends. None that we can count on anyhow.  When it comes to the middle east (middle east = France and everything passed it), we REALLY have no friends.  Only people who want to take advantage of us in any way possible, then stick it to us first chance they get.
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 10:04:29 PM »

Yes Blah, this is true and really scary.  We are losing Blair by end of year, so hard to tell how much we have them in the future and I think we have friends in Australia, as much as they CAN help. Our future is really in question, no matter who takes over in November.  Though, I do believe the Dems would make it much worse.  Only time will tell.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 11:46:36 PM »

Dihannah, I just want to validate you that I also thought in the beginning that he was our friend.

Carnut, like you, I believe Musharraf is doing his best walking the tightrope and also that he would very much like to become more Western.

I've already heard Musharraf interviewed re his book - he said he did not get the message directly from Armitage, but rather he got it from someone speaking on Armitage's behalf.  He did not make it clear enough for me to understand.

We truly are losing Britain.  The only friends we have are nations who have very little power.

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 09:54:42 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Dihannah, I just want to validate you that I also thought in the beginning that he was our friend.

Carnut, like you, I believe Musharraf is doing his best walking the tightrope and also that he would very much like to become more Western.

I've already heard Musharraf interviewed re his book - he said he did not get the message directly from Armitage, but rather he got it from someone speaking on Armitage's behalf.  He did not make it clear enough for me to understand.

We truly are losing Britain.  The only friends we have are nations who have very little power.

We are losing Britain, Candana et. al. not because of what we did - it's because the Muslims are taking over their population and conversion is becoming their wayof life... they have been politically correct and looked the other way for so long, now they don't have a choice - I hope that this country wakes up and sees clearly what is happening...

I have seen lately a lot of "stars"  - Bill Mahar, Rosie O'Donnell, etc. come out and say that Christians are more deadly than the Muslims, that we as Christians are the war mongers and it makes me sick to my stomach... I am a Christian and this retoric offends me especially when statements like that are made because they just hate GWB....  if people keep spewing garbage they will only serve to make the terrorist bolder ... and they will only keep attacking until we all "have" to convert...

ppl need to wake the hell up ... this isn't about GWB (love him or hate him) it's about protecting our freedoms...purely and simply...

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 05:11:12 PM »

Hollywood is just plain evil. They are destroying the minds of our young!  That is the sad part!

They say christians are evil???  Like we are going around killing innocent people, murdering each other for not having the same exact beliefs, e.g. Protestant, Catholics???   Like I posted in the Arab faith differences thread,  the Sunni's Shiites, and Kurds are killing each other in Iraq!  There fellow countrymen and they are not eventhe terrorists, it is a struggle of power over the government, which faith will run the country.  Where are the freakin' priorities?  I would think with the US giving them a good head start, they would take advantage and unite together to make their country better!  They're too busy killing each other and destroying what we build for THEM!  It infuriates me!

Mrs. Red,  we have talked about losing alot of our great allies and how Muslims are taking over everywher, which I agree.  But what I wonder is when you ask for our country to wake up.  I can't help to think, what can we really do?  We can't fight the entire world, who is going to help us?   We truly are losing our friends and I am having a hard time seeing a way out..   Those idiot non-aligned countries our getting bigger and becoming more of a threat.  It's scary to think it is looking like us against the world.....

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 07:43:41 PM »

Quote from: "Dihannah1"
Hollywood is just plain evil. They are destroying the minds of our young!  That is the sad part!

They say christians are evil???  Like we are going around killing innocent people, murdering each other for not having the same exact beliefs, e.g. Protestant, Catholics???   Like I posted in the Arab faith differences thread,  the Sunni's Shiites, and Kurds are killing each other in Iraq!  There fellow countrymen and they are not eventhe terrorists, it is a struggle of power over the government, which faith will run the country.  Where are the freakin' priorities?  I would think with the US giving them a good head start, they would take advantage and unite together to make their country better!  They're too busy killing each other and destroying what we build for THEM!  It infuriates me!

Mrs. Red,  we have talked about losing alot of our great allies and how Muslims are taking over everywher, which I agree.  But what I wonder is when you ask for our country to wake up.  I can't help to think, what can we really do?  We can't fight the entire world, who is going to help us?   We truly are losing our friends and I am having a hard time seeing a way out..   Those idiot non-aligned countries our getting bigger and becoming more of a threat.  It's scary to think it is looking like us against the world.....

When I say wake up, I mean pay attention, seek out what's going on.  Stop thinking having open borders is perfectly ok... I am starting tohear about American families that want jobs in factories, etc... and they can't get them because the companies can pay the Mexican immigrants even less... support those that truly want to strenghten our country.   Stop funding colleges that are spewing such garbage as our gov't created 911.  Vote!  People are so apathetic... stop allowing the "gansta thug" culture to create a gansta thug mentaliity among our kids... don't allow kids to play these violent games or watch movies where women are hos and bitches... I mean I feel like my gender is going backwards and fast....

it's those kinds of things I am talking about...

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 10:26:40 PM »

I ordered his book. Has not arrived yet. Don't intend to read it. I just collect political books.

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 10:37:43 AM »

Here is an interesting article ... another wake up call and it discusses the General.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed/tblankley.htm

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.