April 16, 2024, 08:43:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Farrakhan: A 'new beginning' for Nation of Islam  (Read 1842 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: October 20, 2008, 10:45:31 AM »

Farrakhan: A 'new beginning' for Nation of Islam

By RUPA SHENOY and SOPHIA TAREEN (Associated Press Writers)
From Associated Press
October 19, 2008 9:44 PM EDT
CHICAGO - Nation of Islam Minister Louis Farrakhan stressed unity among religions, while still preaching a message of black empowerment, at a rare public event Sunday deemed "a new beginning" for the Chicago-based movement.

In the nearly two-hour speech, Farrakhan covered topics including immigration, public schools, violence and morality. He vaguely referred to the presidential election but did not specifically mention any candidates.

"We are all in a journey to become complete human beings," the 75-year-old Farrakhan told the crowd of thousands gathered inside Mosque Maryam and in white tents outside. "Look how we have become so divided, so hateful, while claiming the same creator."

(snip)

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/nat?guid=20081019/48fab0c0_3ca6_1552620081019903601858

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 10:52:54 AM »

Calling today's organized religion a failure, the Nation of Islam's Minister Louis Farrakhan on Sunday urged a "new beginning" during the rededication ceremony for a renovated mosque on Chicago's South Side, striking a tone of inclusion toward Jews, Christians and other Muslims.

He also embraced members of all races as each being their brother's keeper.

"Religion as it is being preached and practiced is a failure," said a lively and passionate Farrakhan, 75, during remarks that lasted an hour and 45 minutes at the Mosque Maryam, the national headquarters of the Nation of Islam.

That failure is evidenced by the bloodshed that stains city streets across America and marks conflicts around the globe, Farrakhan said.

"Are Muhammad and Jesus enemies?" Farrakhan said. "Why, then, are we?"

In February, however, he became a lightning rod during the Democratic presidential primary by praising Sen. Barack Obama as the only hope for healing the nation's racial divisions. Obama distanced himself from Farrakhan, saying he did not seek the Nation of Islam leader's support.

Shelton said he is Christian but appreciates the new era of openness toward outsiders that Sunday's ceremony represented. "That's what this is about—humanity," he said.

During his remarks, Farrakhan recited the basic tenets of more than a dozen religions, noting how they all boil down to treating the people you meet with the same respect and compassion as you would want to be treated.

Looking around the beautifully refurbished mosque, with its gold inlays and marble accents, Farrakhan said, "If we don't make beautiful people to come out of the building, all of this means nothing."

"I was a little surprised to see how much he knows about our religion," she said. "He brought us a mixed recipe of different nations, together in one bowl. It brought us close. I felt I belonged. I am so glad I came."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-farrakhan-talks-20-oct20,0,7864522.story

There is an old saying - "Make new friends, keep the old.  One is silver and the other gold." 

Who are the old friends of Obama?

Who are the ones that supported him in the beginning of his career? 

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.