March 28, 2024, 11:38:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Postcards sent to 3,000 voters with wrong precinct & voting locations  (Read 1406 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: October 25, 2008, 01:11:54 AM »

Officials try to correct wrong voting information

Posted: Oct 24, 2008 11:51 AM

AUSTIN, Texas (KXAN) -- Williamson County election officials are trying to correct mistaken postcards that went out to nearly 3,000 people. The postcards had the wrong precinct information and also included the wrong polling place locations for voters for the Nov. 4 general election. Williamson County Elections Analyst Candi Zaccheus said a computer error on a spreadsheet moved the addresses on the postcards into the wrong precinct, leading to the confusion.

"It actually directed some of the voters to go to the wrong precinct wrong polling place," said Williamson County Elections Administrator Rick Barron.  "Ultimately I'm responsible for it."

New postcards with the correct information went out Friday morning. "The voters will receive it well in advance of Nov. 4," said Barron.

Voters that received the postcards thought the county should have exercised more diligence in such a big election.

"It is very discouraging to me that the clerk's office, which is charged with the duty of keeping our records and keeping it correctly, is making errors like this," said Williamson County voter Beth Siever.

Siever received a postcard telling her to go to a new polling location at the Lord of Life Lutheran Church for the Nov. 4 election. However, when she checked further, she discovered her precinct and polling place had not changed.

"I am assuming if I went there and produced my card they would not let me vote there because I am not in that precinct," she said.

Barron party officials and candidates contacted his office Friday inquiring about the mistake.

"Just need to do a better job of vetting the excel spreadsheet," he said.

If you believe you have received one of these postcards, you are asked to call (512) 943-1630.

Williamson County Voters can look up their voting location.
http://www.kxan.com/global/story.asp?s=9234055

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.