April 19, 2024, 06:28:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Travis County fights misleading voting advice/Impersonating Election Official?  (Read 2025 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: October 25, 2008, 02:09:45 PM »

Travis County fights misleading voting advice
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 11:02 AM

Updated: Oct 22, 2008 04:48 PM
AUSTIN, Texas (KXAN) -- The Travis County Clerk is looking for a man that may be providing misleading information to voters. Dana DeBeauvoir said a man in his 30s was spotted at a polling place located at the Randalls at 2025 West Ben White Blvd. Monday sharing information with voters about straight-party voting that is similar to a mass email seen on the Internet.

When confronted by a worker and witnesses, the man fled and immediately left the scene. DeBeauvoir said the man is a white male and was dressed in business attire. Erica Prosser saw the man Monday as she went to cast her ballot.

"I slowed down and I listened," said Prosser.  "He said we just wanted to make sure you know vote straight ticket Democrat, but then also vote for Senator Obama for the presidential vote to count."

That technique is wrong, though, according to DeBeauvoir.  She said it would negate the vote for Obama if a voter punches the ballot twice. She said voters will see a warning screen telling them their vote will change a straight party ticket. According to the Texas Democratic Party, an email circulating on the Internet falsely claims voting straight-ticket will not cast a vote for Barack Obama.

The email encourages people to go back and cast a vote for Obama, which actually negates the vote on machines such as the eSlate voting machines in Travis County. Democrats talked about the right way to vote for their candidate.

"If you are voting straight ticket in Texas, do not go back and vote for Barack Obama," said Travis County Democratic party spokesman Matt Glazer.

DeBeauvoir said her office workers are still looking for the man and reported the incident to local law enforcement. She said if the man is caught, he could face a state jail felony for impersonating an election worker.

http://www.kxan.com/global/story.asp?s=9220170

It makes me wonder if this has happened elsewhere and how often. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
crazybabyborg
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 11:05:52 PM »

I don't have any idea who the guy is that is doing this, but I hope they catch him and I hope he serves the maximum sentence possible. Absolutely any and everything that tinkers with the election process should be taken VERY seriously!

America is in such need of National Standards and reform with the election process. Everything from voting machines to ID requirements should be standardized. That, at least, would give people a chance to learn the voting process uniformly. Personally, I even think that available funds for the candidates should be equal, but that's a side issue to this.

Regardless of the outcome, Americans need to be able to trust the process whether they trust a particular candidate or not.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 10:02:03 PM »

Regardless of the outcome, Americans need to be able to trust the process whether they trust a particular candidate or not.

I absolutely agree with you, CBB.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.