April 25, 2024, 12:42:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Press pays pretty penny to attend Election Day parties  (Read 2192 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: October 28, 2008, 12:54:44 PM »

Press pays pretty penny to attend Election Day parties

Obama, McCain coverage could cost upward of $1,815

By Ashley Niedringhaus

Obama is charging members of the media up to $1,815 to come to his Nov. 4 rally in Grant Park.

McCain is charging members of the media $695 for access to his event in Arizona.

Free, but limited, access is available for Obama's rally but no free access is available for McCain's."

(snip)

Last week, Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley announced plans to charge presidential hopeful and Illinois senator, Barack Obama, $2 million to host his election night extravaganza in Grant Park.

Crain's Chicago Business reported the $2 million-dollar price tag is budgeted to cover additional park maintenance, sanitation needs and extra security for the anticipated large crowd.

(snip)

"There is no incentive to limiting access anymore," Young said. "Once the votes have been cast the media role changes from an ally to just another institution."

http://media.www.marquettetribune.org/media/storage/paper1130/news/2008/10/28/News/Press.Pays.Pretty.Penny.To.Attend.Election.Day.Parties-3508575-page2.shtml

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 01:01:56 PM »

October 25, 2008

Crews Will Have Equipment Ready for Rally

City firefighters and paramedics have been asked to take home their gear so they can speed deployment during any emergency that might occur during the election night Obama rally in Grant Park. The order begins next Wednesday, and continues through until two days after the election.

The plan is the same that was in place in case the Cubs or the White Sox made it to the World Series and would either win or lose.

With Obama being the first major party presidential candidate from Chicago, it required the department to plan for the potential of celebratory crowds if he wins or rioting if he loses, police said.
The price tag for the rally will come to $2 million, which the campaign has agreed to fund. [S-T]

http://chicagoist.com/2008/10/25/crews_will_have_equipment_ready_for.php

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 01:10:20 PM »

Lynn Sweet, Washington bureau chief for the Chicago Sun-Times, called the price list "an outrageous pay-to-play plan that caters to national elite [media] outlets." She noted that many reporters don't have extensive phone and electrical needs and yet will be priced out of covering Mr. Obama on Election Night.

Mr. Obama will certainly be getting the lion's share of votes from reporters who cover his campaign, but that doesn't make his media operation popular. "There is an arrogance there that I hope doesn't carry forward to any Obama White House," one reporter who travels frequently with the candidate told me. "But all the signs of trouble are already there."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122489917985769071.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

A new way to limit free speech?  Charge the press admission?  Limit access to those that can afford to pay? 

"We won't limit freedom of the press...we'll just price some out of the market..."  - The Constitution of the United States needs some changes...

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 01:13:09 PM »

The foundation. 

The gallows of a nation, start in Grant Park.

The freedom to try and fail, the enslavement of a nation, and future generations...

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 01:20:19 PM »

Almost forgot...

JMHO

Slogger
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 04:04:13 PM »

The silly part of this is . . . I don't care if they charge the biased press A BUNDLE.

Constitution101    hillsdale.edu/constitution/
Courtesy is requested; Respect is Earned.
Pace Yourself, for the LongHaul.  MOs
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 04:33:08 PM »

The silly part of this is . . . I don't care if they charge the biased press A BUNDLE.

It is Main Street American that will not be able to afford to cover Obama.  They will depend on the biased press for news.  imho

The death of the small newspaper, small time media...

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.