Michelle Kehoe ARRESTED/FOUND GUILTY - 7 yo son found hurt, toddler's death/homicide

(1/3) > >>

MuffyBee:
Oct 28, 8:04 PM EDT

Medical examiner: Iowa toddler's death a homicide

By NIGEL DUARA
Associated Press Writer
 IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) -- A toddler found dead after being reported missing with his brother and mother was a victim of homicide, the Iowa medical examiner's office ruled Tuesday.

An autopsy showed Seth Kehoe, 2, died of cuts to the neck, the Iowa State Medical Examiner's Office said.

Seth, his 7-year-old brother Sean and their mother Michelle were found early Monday when an injured Michelle Kehoe walked into a home in Littleton and said the children were in danger.

Seth's body was found near his mother's minivan. Sean and Michelle Kehoe underwent surgery Monday, but police have neither released their conditions nor indicated the nature of their injuries.

Eugene Kehoe reported his wife and children missing Sunday night.

The family was last seen Sunday afternoon at a convenience store. They were to drive about 100 miles north to Sumner from their home in Coralville but were found in Littleton, about 25 miles south of Sumner.

Investigators haven't made many details of the incident public, saying they're looking at several possible scenarios.

"It's just not possible at this point to say that we have any one scenario that we're ruling out," said Buchanan County Attorney Allan VanderHart on Monday.

Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation spokeswoman Jessica Lowns said the secrecy surrounding the investigation is necessary to its integrity while authorities pursue "a variety of options."

In December 2007, Michelle Kehoe was driving a car with the boys when it plunged into the Iowa River. They were saved by bystanders.

Iowa City police spokesman Troy Kelsay told the Des Moines Register on Tuesday that there was no evidence to link the December crash with Monday's incident and said the car plunge didn't appear intentional.

Messages left for Eugene Kehoe were not immediately answered Tuesday.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MISSING_FAMILY_INVESTIGATION?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Sam:
Muffee,
This story is so strange.
My initial reaction is the Mom is on some sort of drugs and is trying to commit suicide as well as do in her children.  I hope the hospital checked her for drugs.

I believe she does not really want to do this but can't seem to stop herself.Hopefully the 7 year old will recover as well as remember what happened. Yes I so want to be wrong. Please keep us updated on this case.

Sam

MuffyBee:
Medical examiner: Toddler died of cuts to neck

NIGEL DUARA | Associated Press Writer
    12:00 AM CDT, October 29, 2008

IOWA CITY, Iowa - Much remains unknown about the slaying of a toddler and injuries suffered by his mother and brother in northeast Iowa, but some facts became clearer in the second day of the investigation.

Seth Kehoe was found dead with cuts to his neck near his mother's white 2002 Volkswagon Eurovan early Monday morning after she walked to a Littleton home for help at about 8 a.m. Monday and told the residents that the children were in danger.

On Tuesday, the Iowa State Medical Examiner's Office ruled 2-year-old Seth Kehoe's death a homicide. His brother, Sean Kehoe, 7, and mother, Michelle, underwent surgery on Monday, but police have not released their conditions and did not say what the nature of their injuries were.

The family was last seen Sunday afternoon at a Jesup convenience store after they were to drive to Sumner from their Coralville home, about 100 miles north. They were found in Littleton, about 25 miles south of Sumner.
Sunday night, Eugene Kehoe reported his wife and children missing.

Seth Kehoe's body and the minivan were found near the "Hook N Liner" Pond in Littleton, a densely wooded area with a few houses scattered several hundred yards away from each other.

It was the second time the woman and her children were involved in a potentially life-threatening situation. In December 2007, Michelle Kehoe was driving a car carrying the boys when it plunged into the icy Iowa River. All were saved with help from bystanders.

Investigators haven't made public many details of the incident, saying they're looking at several possible scenarios.

"It's just not possible at this point to say that we have any one scenario that we're ruling out," said Buchanan County Attorney Allan VanderHart on Monday.

DCI spokeswoman Jessica Lowns said the secrecy surrounding the investigation is necessary to its integrity while authorities pursue "a variety of options."

Iowa City police spokesman Troy Kelsay told the Des Moines Register on Tuesday that there is no evidence to link Michelle Kehoe's December plunge into the Iowa River and Monday's incident, and said the December incident didn't appear intentional.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-ia-missingfamily-inv,0,6023814.story

Nut44x4:
 something is fishy, indeed...  :2thinky:

Nut44x4:
http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/hero-on-the-iowa-river/article96739.html

Hero on the Iowa River
Again and again (and again), Steve McGuire has risked his life to rescue people from the Iowa River.

The red Volkswagen Passat was almost submerged, just part of the rear window visible above the surface of the frigid Iowa River. That bright, sinking speck was the first thing that caught Steve McGuire's eye as he crossed Iowa City's Park Road bridge at the start of a long early-evening bike ride last December. Then he saw the crowd of agitated onlookers on the riverbank. Someone was in the water -- and once again McGuire was about to risk his life to save a stranger.

"I put my bike down and ran to the river, thinking about what I should do," says McGuire, an art education professor at the University of Iowa. "Then I realized that thinking wasn't going to do any good, so I started swimming -- with my bike helmet still on."

Michelle Kehoe, the 34-year-old mother of two who had skidded into the river after hitting an icy curb that freezing evening, had already slipped below the surface several times. When McGuire reached her, her arms and legs were numbed by hypothermia, and her blue lips trembled in the 24-degree air. McGuire, who had worked as a lifeguard in his teens, grabbed Kehoe's arm. "Don't worry," he told her. "We're both making it to shore." For several interminable minutes, he dragged her through the 12-foot-deep water, their extremities growing heavier and heavier as the icy current pulled at them.

On the riverbank, an ambulance crew, with the help of bystanders, pulled McGuire and Kehoe from the river and wrapped them in blankets. Within minutes, Kehoe was reunited with her sons, Sean, 6, and Seth, 14 months. Just before McGuire went to her rescue, three local men, Josh Shepherd, Mark Petersen, and Cory Rath, swam out to the sinking car to grab the children as she passed them through an open window.

McGuire, whose neoprene cold-weather pants had helped protect him from the worst effects of the frigid water, abandoned his plans for a bike ride and instead headed home just as a light dusting of snow began to fall. But that night, his heart pounding as adrenaline still coursed through his veins, he struggled to sleep -- and with good reason. Saving a drowning person is, at most, a once-in-a-lifetime event. But Michelle Kehoe was the third person Steve McGuire had pulled from the Iowa River.

more unrelated at link

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page