April 18, 2024, 04:03:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hawaii Governor Linda Lingle seals Obama’s birth records  (Read 9455 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: October 29, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »

Judge dismisses Obama lawsuit over lack of standing

By Linda Bentley | October 29, 2008

Hawaii Governor Linda Lingle seals Obama’s birth records

PHILADELPHIA, PENN. – Late Friday, U.S. District Court Judge R. Barklay Surrick dismissed Attorney Philip Berg’s complaint alleging Obama is ineligible to run for the office of President of the United States because he is not a “natural born citizen” as required by the United States Constitution.

Last Thursday, Berg, a lifelong Democrat, told Sonoran News, “The Constitution is our most important document,” and he filed the lawsuit because “nothing is more important than enforcing the Constitution.”

Later that evening Berg was a guest on the syndicated radio program Savage Nation, where Michael Savage brought up issues that also begged for an explanation, including Obama’s trip to Hawaii to see his “deathly ill” grandmother. First off, he didn’t leave for a couple of days. But then Savage also brought up the fact that Obama went by himself and asked why he didn’t take his wife and children, casting a cloud of suspicion over the real purpose of his one-day trip.

He said, “If I don't have standing, if you don't have standing, if your neighbor doesn't have standing to ask whether or not the likely next president of the United States – the most powerful man in the entire world – is eligible to be in that office in the first place, then who does?”

In another lawsuit, author Andy Martin filed an emergency motion in the U.S. District Court in Hawaii on Oct. 17 for an order to show cause against Hawaii Gov. Linda Lingle and Dr. Chiyome Fukino, director, Hawaii Department of Health, after his request for a certified copy of Obama’s birth certificate was denied due to Hawaii’s confidentiality statutes.

Martin said there is “intense national interest in access to an officially certified copy of the birth certificate in question …”

Following Obama’s one-day trip to Hawaii last Thursday to visit his “deathly ill” grandmother, Lindle placed Obama’s birth records under seal and instructed the Hawaii Department of Health, under no condition may it provide access to the original document unless Obama authorizes it to be released.

It looks like Obama could resolve this question once and for the benefit of all.

http://www.sonorannews.com/archives/2008/081029/FrntPgJudge.html

It seems like such a small thing for the future president of the US to do.  imho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 05:16:40 PM »

again, he provided his 'certificate of live birth', issued by the Hawaii State Department.

Republican Governor Linda Lingle would surely have challenged Obama if that 'certificate of live birth' wasn't genuine.

i see this fake controversy more as grasping for last straws by disgruntled Republicans.

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 05:23:35 PM »

again, he provided his 'certificate of live birth', issued by the Hawaii State Department.

Republican Governor Linda Lingle would surely have challenged Obama if that 'certificate of live birth' wasn't genuine.

i see this fake controversy more as grasping for last straws by disgruntled Republicans.

I voted as a Democrat (Wisconsin) in my state primary.  I wonder if a 'certificate of live birth' would look like that for others that were adopted?  From other states?  Other countries?  Not an original?  Therefore, lacking important details?

What is the worst thing that would happen if Obama's original birth certificate were released?  In my mind, it's really a very simple thing to put to rest - by Barack Obama.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 05:25:06 PM »

What does Obama's original birth certificate show? 

Why does it remain a secret?

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 05:37:35 PM »

a 'certificate of live birth', this is what he showed - and that is enough proof required that he is elligble to run for President.
why should different standards apply for him? because a few blogs spread rumors?

even if he did show the original birth certificate, i am sure there will still be blogs who question that.
even if he did show a video tape of his actual birth with a Honolulu landmark in de background.
i am sure there are still some blogs who question that.

he is right to not give in to these demands.
he has shown his 'certificate of live birth', that is sufficient.
what is the reason that he should go the extra lenght? to put rumors to rest?
then he is going to be busy for four full years - he wouldn't have time to do his Presidential duties, because there are dozens of unsubstantiated rumors and smears flying around.

http://www.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/birth_certificate_1.jpg

http://www.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/birth_certificate_9.jpg

http://www.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/birth_certificate_3.jpg

Slogger
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 07:21:59 PM »

Once the Governor of a State seals the Vault copy of a Candidate's Birth Certificate, I have no choice but to believe there was good cause.  That there is a substantial reason the information on the Certificate cannot and will not be seen by anyone.  I must believe that Barack Obama is hiding one more piece of information--along with the many other bits of information obscured.

If the voters of the United States of America do not have "standing" in this matter, I'd like to know who does. A one-day trip to HI, and the certificate is sealed.  Coincidence, just a distraction?  No, this is BAD NEWS.

a 'certificate of live birth', this is what he showed - and that is enough proof required that he is elligble to run for President.
why should different standards apply for him? because a few blogs spread rumors?

Obama has been tap dancing.  He may have lost some votes on this issue, because it is important that Obama is verified as a legitimate candidate.  A couple of bucks, and a trip to a specific county's court house, gets you an Obama short certificate.  These were (also) available to adoptees who were never intended to know they were adopted.  They have bare minimum information.

Is this what we get under an Obama Administration?  No answers; at lot of run-around; and bare minimum?

The average candidate for office would bend over backwards to provide legitimate answers and documentation to his potential constituents.  Why not for Obama? 

The matter is in question because Obama, who once danced around the issue, seems to have gone to lengths to lock up the information.  Since we know so little about him, and he is unwilling to provide full documentation, why would we want him?

This action (if verified by HI news) is beyond arrogance; it is highly suspect.  LA Times covers for him; NY Times performs character assassinations for him; commentators bow to him; and now, a State Governor is hiding things for him.

I had never seen anything like this!

Constitution101    hillsdale.edu/constitution/
Courtesy is requested; Respect is Earned.
Pace Yourself, for the LongHaul.  MOs
crazybabyborg
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 10:03:29 PM »

even if he did show the original birth certificate, i am sure there will still be blogs who question that.
even if he did show a video tape of his actual birth with a Honolulu landmark in de background.
i am sure there are still some blogs who question that.

he is right to not give in to these demands.
he has shown his 'certificate of live birth', that is sufficient.
what is the reason that he should go the extra lenght? to put rumors to rest?
then he is going to be busy for four full years - he wouldn't have time to do his Presidential duties, because there are dozens of unsubstantiated rumors and smears flying around.

http://www.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/birth_certificate_1.jpg

http://www.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/birth_certificate_9.jpg

http://www.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/birth_certificate_3.jpg

Well, this dispute is easy enough. Let's go directly to the US Constitution:

"No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty five years, and been fourteen Years a resident within the United States. "

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.articleii.html

Since Obama was not a citizen at the time the constitution was adopted, he must be a natural born citizen to meet the bare minimum requirement to be eligible for the office of Presidency.

You can't always rely on factcheck. I've found it to be wrong and biased several times, and for whatever it's worth, it's an Annenberg project.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 10:06:06 PM »

What does Obama's original birth certificate show? 

Why does it remain a secret?

Right. The biggest source of suspicion for me is the fact he won't just produce it!
Slogger
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »

This was posted on gretawire:

Comment by Linda
October 29th, 2008 at 9:48 pm
Aloha,

Thank you for emailing Governor Linda Lingle’s office. A recent article in WorldNetDaily.com (October 26, 2008) claiming that Hawai’i Governor Linda Lingle sealed Sen. Barack Obama’s birth certificate is false.

Under Hawai’i’s state law (Hawai’i Revised Statutes §338-18), copies of vital records may only be released to those who have a tangible relationship to the person whose record is being sought. Neither the Governor’s office, nor any other office in the State of Hawai’i, can provide information concerning birth certificates, or produce birth certificates, to anyone except those who are listed in the law governing vital statistics records.

Vital statistics records, such as birth certificates, are protected by strict confidentiality requirements. Specifically, pursuant to section 338-18, Hawai’i Revised Statutes (HRS), the Department of Health, which maintains these records, may not allow the inspection of a birth certificate, or issue a certified copy of a birth certificate, or disclose any information contained in a birth certificate, unless it is satisfied that the applicant has a direct and tangible interest in the record:

(a) To protect the integrity of vital statistics records, to ensure their proper use, and to ensure the efficient and proper administration of the vital statistics system, it shall be unlawful for any person to permit inspection of, or to disclose information contained in vital statistics records, or to copy or issue a copy of all or part of any such record, except as authorized by this part or by rules adopted by the department of health.

(b) The department shall not permit inspection of public health statistics records, or issue a certified copy of any such record or part thereof, unless it is satisfied that the applicant has a direct and tangible interest in the record. The following persons shall be considered to have a direct and tangible interest in a public health statistics record:
(1) The registrant;

(2) The spouse of the registrant;

(3) A parent of the registrant;

(4) A descendant of the registrant;

(5) A person having a common ancestor with the registrant;

(6) A legal guardian of the registrant;

(7) A person or agency acting on behalf of the registrant;

(Cool A personal representative of the registrant’s estate;

(9) A person whose right to inspect or obtain a certified copy of the record is established by an order of a court of competent jurisdiction;

(10) Adoptive parents who have filed a petition for adoption and who need to determine the death of one or more of the prospective adopted child’s natural or legal parents;

(11) A person who needs to determine the marital status of a former spouse in order to determine the payment of alimony;

(12) A person who needs to determine the death of a nonrelated co-owner of property purchased under a joint tenancy agreement; and

(13) A person who needs a death certificate for the determination of payments under a credit insurance policy.

You can find the complete statute at http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol06_Ch0321-0344/HRS0338/HRS_0338-0018.htm

Mahalo,

Office of Governor Lingle

Constitution101    hillsdale.edu/constitution/
Courtesy is requested; Respect is Earned.
Pace Yourself, for the LongHaul.  MOs
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 01:01:18 AM »

why don't they ask the Hawaii Governor again if this "certificate of live birth" is genuine?
if she repeats it is genuine, that should close it.
after all the "certificate of live birth" is a report from the birth register of Hawaii.

and about this putting the birth records 'under seal': i only read that on that Arizona conservative blog.
so i doubt that's actually true.

if all this time and energy these bloggers wasted on this, mysterious 'tapes' and other rumors was spend on actual on the ground campaigning for McCain, he might have had a better shot at winning the election i think.

now they only look silly. even embarrassing McCain himself when this poor lady told him she believes Obama is an Arab.

Obama doesn't take the bait with these rumors, he just goes on campaigning and raising money.
no surprise it looks like he is going to win in a landslide electoral vote, nationwide polls seem to be tightening a bit - but that's just McCain increasing his margins in states he would have won anyway.

http://www.pollster.com/
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html
http://www.intrade.com/ (bookmakers)

crazybabyborg
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 03:14:03 AM »

why don't they ask the Hawaii Governor again if this "certificate of live birth" is genuine?
after all the "certificate of live birth" is a report from the birth register of Hawaii.

and about this putting the birth records 'under seal': i only read that on that Arizona conservative blog.

if all this time and energy these bloggers wasted on this, mysterious 'tapes' and other rumors was spend on actual on the ground campaigning for McCain, he might have had a better shot at winning the election i think.

now they only look silly. even embarrassing McCain himself when this poor lady told him she believes Obama is an Arab.

Obama doesn't take the bait with these rumors, he just goes on campaigning and raising money.
no surprise it looks like he is going to win in a landslide electoral vote, nationwide polls seem to be tightening a bit - but that's just McCain increasing his margins in states he would have won anyway.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

Why don't they ask Obama to just produce it? And most importantly, WHY WON'T HE?
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 07:31:30 AM »

Would someone doing Barack Obama's family tree accept that "certificae of live birth", or would that be a clue that there is something else of interest in the family tree?  Would the researcher look further?  I think a good researcher would.  imho

Hawaii, may have a number of birth certificate scenarios.  I'm thinking the "certificate of live birth" may be genuine and valid for many purposes. 

However, questions remain.  Is it an original?  Is it a birth certificate issued due to adoption or naturalization?  Something else that does not reflect original facts?

Amended certificates of birth may be prepared and filed with the Department of Health, as provided by law, for 1) a person born in Hawaii who already has a birth certificate filed with the Department of Health or 2) a person born in a foreign country.
http://hawaii.gov/health/vital-records/vital-records/index.html

Why would a person born in a foreign country be concerned with a Hawaii birth certificate?

(snip)

I think what people are expecting is a review of his original unamended birth certificate.  The certificate of live birth may be real, but is it the original birth certificate for Barack Obama?

Who is Eligible to Apply for the Issuance of a Late Birth Certificate in Lieu of a Certificate of Hawaiian Birth?

The Certificate of Hawaiian Birth program was established in 1911, during the territorial era, to register a person born in Hawaii who was one year old or older and whose birth had not been previously registered in Hawaii. The Certificate of Hawaiian Birth Program was terminated in 1972, during the statehood era.

Certified copies of a Certificate of Hawaiian Birth may be requested following the procedures for certified copies of standard birth certificates (see Certified Copies). The eligibility requirements for issuance of a certified copy of a standard birth certificate apply to Certificates of Hawaiian Birth. And the same fees charged for standard birth certificates are charged for Certificates of Hawaiian Birth. Copies of the set of testimony used to establish a Certificate of Hawaiian Birth may also be requested, and an additional fee is charged for each copy of the set of testimony.

Any person to whom a Certificate of Hawaiian Birth has been issued may submit a request to amend an entry, including a legal change of name, on an existing Certificate. A request to amend a Certificate of Hawaiian Birth will, however, be considered to be and treated as an application with the Department of Health for registration of a late certificate of birth in current use, unless a standard birth certificate for that person already exists in the vital records of the Department of Health. Should there be a situation of dual registration, the requested amendment will be made to the standard birth certificate on file if the required documentary evidence in support of the amendment has been submitted and evaluated to be adequate. If there is no standard birth certificate on file, an applicant is required to submit documentary evidence of the birth facts necessary to support of the registration of the late certificate of birth. If approved, the late birth certificate will be registered in place of the Certificate of Hawaiian Birth, which must then be surrendered to the Department of Health.

http://hawaii.gov/health/vital-records/vital-records/hawnbirth.html

Who is Eligible to Apply for an Amendment?

An original entry on a birth, death, marriage, or divorce certificate may be amended by either the private request of an individual or an order of a court of competent jurisdiction. An amendment includes changes, corrections, additions, deletions, or substitutions.

How to Apply for an Amendment

An amendment may be made upon application, but only with the submission of required documentary evidence in support of the amendment. The evidentiary requirements can differ, depending on whether the amendment is court-ordered or, if requested by an individual, whether it materially affects the validity and integrity of the record.

http://hawaii.gov/health/vital-records/vital-records/vital-records/amendment.html

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 08:31:19 AM »

Is a birth certificate or "certificate of live birth" proof of citizenship?  From the images above, what is shown may be an "abstract".

Application for a U.S. Birth Certificate

After readoption or validation of a foreign adoption in a State court, adoptive parents can request that the State Registrar of Vital Statistics issue a State birth certificate for the adoptee. Approximately 14 States allow adoptive parents to request a U.S. birth certificate for their adopted child even if the parents do not readopt or seek validation under State law.8 Only four States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the territories currently do not provide in statute for issuing a U.S. birth certificate for an intercountry adoptee.9 Usually, the request for a birth certificate will be accompanied by a certified copy of the final adoption decree, the State court's findings of fact as to date and place of birth, and a written request for a new birth certificate for the adopted person.10

The State Registrar will issue the birth certificate in the new name of the adoptee if requested by the adoptive parents, and the certificate will show the actual date and place of birth. Afterwards, the Registrar will seal the original birth certificate, order or decree of adoption, and the court findings, which will not be unsealed except by court order or as provided by law.11 The birth certificate will be valid in all 50 States, Puerto Rico, and the territories but will not be accepted as evidence of U.S. citizenship for the child in approximately 22 States.12

12 Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Vermont, and Virginia.

http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/laws_policies/statutes/intercountry.cfm#12

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 01:14:28 PM »

Why don't they ask Obama to just produce it? And most importantly, WHY WON'T HE?

because a 'certificate of live birth' is sufficient.
electoral commission accepted this, he is on the ballot.
Hawaii state departement has said this certificate is genuine.

if Obama gives in to these right-wing blogs trying to blackmail him, what's next?
next they demand him to show he is no muslim because he is not circumsized.
he is not letting them play with him. he has more serious things to do.

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 02:49:21 PM »

I've snipped a bit for space...

because a 'certificate of live birth' is sufficient.
electoral commission accepted this, he is on the ballot.
Hawaii state departement has said this certificate is genuine.

if Obama gives in to these right-wing blogs trying to blackmail him, what's next?
next they demand him to show he is no muslim because he is not circumsized.
he is not letting them play with him. he has more serious things to do.

What I've seen posted is a computer generated, standard-like form called a "Certification of Live Birth" - NOT to be confused with a "Certificate of Live Birth" or "Birth Certificate".

The "Certification of Live Birth" lacks details, testimonies, and IS NOT considered proof of citizenship in many places...vintage 2007.  I lot could have happened between 1961 and 2007.

The original (and later versions) "Certificate of Live Birth" may show that Obama is a citizen or it may suggest that he is not. 

Perhaps his birth was recorded days, months, or years later?  Details - who delivered him, attended him, and where?  Does anyone in the US remember Obama as a newborn?

I remember that in the past, and of an age with Obama, that those born on foreign soil, one parent a citizen, one not, were not automatically considered US citizens.  Many had to be 'naturalized'.  This was common for many military families.  Children born to the same couple in US were citizens.  From my internet research earlier, I believe this changed in five to ten years ago. 

Where is the original "Certificate of Live Birth" posted?  Anyone?

What if the "electorial commission" was wrong?  State agencies wrong?

It would be easy for Obama to set this right, end the speculation, produce the records, unseal the original...

just my humble opinions

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 04:09:12 PM »

If this is truly an issue, and not just another internet rumor and innuendo, then why is the only one taking this up in court that whack job Berg?  Why isn't the GOP challenging this birth certificate - loudly and publicly - through any legal means possible?  Why didn't Hillary Clinton?  Those opposing Obama have had plenty of time to properly vet his background so where are the legitimate challenges?  Every citizen is required to show proof of citizenship from time to time - Obama is not exempt.  So where is the organized challenge to Obama's citizenship? 
jjayinthemorning
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 07:29:25 PM »

Obama is part of factcheck also.
hmmmm.

There are so many assassination threats against the guy I wonder if Vegas has a line on it.
jjayinthemorning
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 07:31:40 PM »

Where is the original "Certificate of Live Birth" posted?  Anyone?
Mobasa Kenya.
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 12:34:58 AM »

Obama’s Hawaii birth certificate confirmed

Pacific Business News (Honolulu)

The director of Hawaii’s Department of Health confirmed on Friday what Barack Obama has been saying all along*: the presidential candidate was born in Honolulu.

“There have been numerous requests for Sen. Barack Hussein Obama’s official birth certificate,” said Chiyome Fukino. “State law prohibits the release of a certified birth certificate to persons who do not have a tangible interest in the vital record.”

Citing her statutory authority to oversee and maintain Hawaii’s vital records, Fukino said she has “personally seen and verified that the Hawaii State Department of Health has Sen. Obama’s original birth certificate on record in accordance with state policies and procedures.

“No state official, including Gov. Linda Lingle, has ever instructed that this vital record be handled in a manner different from any other vital record in the possession of the State of Hawaii,” Fukino added.

Lingle, a Republican, has been campaigning on the Mainland for Obama’s opponent, Sen. John McCain of Arizona.

Obama, a Democratic senator from Illinois, was born Aug. 4, 1961, in Honolulu. He graduated high school at Punahou School in 1979.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2008/10/27/daily60.html

*and showing with his Hawaii State Department issued genuine 'certificate of live birth'.

no surprise here.

great waste of time and energy by Republicans pursuing this for months in vain, could have been used for campaigning, phonebanking, canvassing, VP vetting and more.

truthseeker2
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 01:09:33 AM »

This wasn't done by the Republicans.  Berg is a democrat.  This was his issue and he began the quest during the primaries.  Repuplican voters talked about it the blogs, but McCain never spent any time on it.  It's a rabbit hole.

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is looking"..J.C. Watts
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.