March 29, 2024, 02:08:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Florida Republican Mark Foley Resigns From U.S. House Seat  (Read 12398 times)
yapperz1
Monkey Junky

« on: September 29, 2006, 07:18:33 PM »

http://tinyurl.com/mnguk

Sept. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Representative Mark Foley, a Florida Republican, submitted a letter of resignation to House Speaker Dennis Hastert today after ABC News queried him about sexually explicit messages with underage congressional pages.

``I am deeply sorry and I apologize for letting down my family and the people of Florida I have had the privilege to represent,'' Foley said in a statement.

ABC News today said the network had read excerpts of instant messages provided by former pages who said Foley made references to sexual organs and acts.

To contact the reporters on this story: Nicholas Johnston in Washington at njohnston3@bloomberg.net Brian Faler in Washington at bfaler@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: September 29, 2006 15:38 EDT

This is absolutely disgusting. Makes you wonder just who you can trust anymore.

I STAND WITH THE GIRL, NATALEE HOLLOWAY

ARUBA
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 07:23:12 PM »

I was just watching that on the news... what the hell is up with Florida?

Also, one thing that really burns me up is that he will probably face no jail time... and he will keep his government pension and all the benefits.  He will just get a slap on the wrist, by having to resign.. makes me SICK! Twisted Evil

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 07:33:24 PM »

Just saw some coverage of what was in emails.

What a dumbass
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 12:51:30 PM »

As if it is not sick enough, I copied this from an aol article but also had heard it on the News.

Foley, who is 52 and single, was co-chairman of the Congressional Missing and Exploited Children's Caucus. In a statement released by his office Friday, the lawmaker said, "I am deeply sorry and I apologize for letting down my family and the people of Florida I have had the privilege to represent."

It makes me sick that someone who is supposed to be about helping children could be exploiting them himself. It also makes me wonder how many of these young boys he has harmed in some way.

Just a swinging with the tribe
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 08:52:43 PM »

A quote from another AOL article:

"Under laws that Congressman Foley helped write, soliciting sex from a minor online is a federal crime," Reid said. "The alleged crimes here are far outside the scope of any congressional committee, and the attorney general should open a full-scale investigation immediately."

I do hope he is prosecuted. Maybe it will make some of the other people who are supposed to be protecting our young ones think twice.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 10:19:13 PM »

I, too, have been following this story. I had to slap my face and look like this  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  when I heard it on the news. Although men have pursued young boys all throughout history, Mark Foley must have lost his mind to do this on the job. What made him think this was acceptable behavior considering how closely the media pounces on any scandal they can find. He was known to be gay and a devoted Catholic and had met the Pope.

I also heard on FOX that this has been going on for a year and he had been warned by his fellow Representatives many times.

I think it was Nancy Pelosi who called for an investigation this morning wherein the other Representatives would, under oath, be required to tell what they knew and when, as well as details about how long it was going on, and why they let it continue ... and that they should be held responsible also.

As much as I hate Foley's behavior, one thing that is wrong with politics is the media's rabid prying into the private sexual lives of politicians. America was founded upon a Puritanical ethic. Sex is evil. War and killing are fine, but sex is not.

If you think Bill Clinton did something wrong, you don't have a clue as to what other Presidents did. Some had illegitimate children. George Washington had an affair with a slave and the descendent of that union recently came out and wrote a book. The Secret Service procured twins for JFK and the three of them swam naked in the White House pool when Jackie was out of town. They went up to his room and had three way sex while the CIA kept watch and kept their mouths shut. Bobby Kennedy was embroiled in affairs and you will hear more about this in my Marilyn Monroe investigation once it is completed. The CIA called Martin Luther King into their offices and threatened to publicly reveal his extramarital affairs if he didn't stop his protest marches for desegration and civil rights. I can't even imagine what LBJ and Bush 41 did. And Clinton was impeached?  

The current media scrutiny prevents many highly qualified people from going into politics. I don't know exactly when things changed to a free for all. Gary Hart was the first victim the media exposed in 1988 during his campaign for President. He was more than 20% ahead of the field when he was photographed with Donna Rice sitting on his lap on a yacht called Monkey Business. His campaign imploded. Dukakis got the nomination and was overwhelmingly defeated by Bush 41.  And why did we get Bush 41 - because Donna Rice sat on Hart's lap. Ridiculous. And now Bush 43. All because of a pic. The scales are out of balance.

Walter Mondale had an episode of depression a long time ago and the media seized upon this and said he was not qualified. Colin Powell was going to run for President but the press found out his wife has depression and takes meds and he decided not to run because he didn't want her raked over the coals.

With the focus on their personal lives, only the people with the most pristine backgrounds and empty closets escape scrutiny. Thus the pool of candidates dwindles down and we are left with brazen charlatans with no ethics who run for office. Mark Foley for example and yes, I know he is a predator. I'm sure many of them have served and escaped scrutiny.

I "suspicion" we have sabotaged ourselves from within. But we can't turn the clock back to make journalists behave in the civilized way they used to. It's too late.

What can we do?

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 11:00:45 PM »

Wow Louise , you gave me alot to think about as usual.

Yes I do know everyone has skeletons. As a general rule I could not care what a person does in his/ her own private life as long as it does not hurt others in there trust.

I don't think I had ever heard about Washington having an affair with a slave but did know about Thomas Jefferson. I think most folks knew about JFK and later Bobby.  I think even Eisenhauer and Roosevelt had mistresses. No I do not think Clinton should have been impeached for his affair.

You are correct in us not having many who can stand the scrutiny of public life. My problem with Mark Foley is not with him being gay. My problem is him soliciting or making sexual comments to underage boys.

I have a couple of other comments to make here but need to check something first. Be back later.

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 01:51:35 AM »

Yes Louise I am pretty much aware of just about everything in history you have described.

About the only thing I disagree with is the conclusion.

I think it's a good thing that only the 'sqeaky clean' make it to office.

If a charlatan makes it to office then the process still isn't working right is the only problem.

I just wish congressional pay raises had to be put on the ballot for everyone to vote on.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 02:18:03 PM »

Sam, you are correct - it was Jefferson, not Washington.   Confused

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 03:04:11 PM »

Actually my advice is to vote every single last one of them OUT OF OFFICE and let's start fresh.....

the only representative I can stomach right now is one from Kansas... Car, you've got a great rep in Patricia Kilpatrick....

as for the rest, why the hell is Kennedy still in office?  Byrd? Lott? Bachus? Spector?  any of them???  

Tell me why I should keep voting for these same people....

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 10:19:18 PM »

In my opinion, it doesn't matter who we vote for. There are powers bigger than we are who pull the puppet strings to elect certain people or put certain people in power, as well as take them out. If we don't vote right, then we have hanging chads in Florida and votes counted improperly in Ohio. The world is controlled by an international cabal of bankers, businessmen, politicians, intellectuals, military and monarchy.

We will never have the so called idealism that America was supposedly founded upon ... breaking away from the oppressiveness of Britain and sailing to America to create a free country. The Statue of Liberty with open arms welcoming the poor huddled masses. Red, white and blue flags waving. Salute or hold your hand over your heart during the Pledge of Allegiance. The land of the free and the home of the brave. Let freedom ring. America the beautiful. From sea to shining sea.

The founders of our country bought slaves in chains from Africa who were rounded up by pirate ships and sold to merchant ships sailing to America to work their tobacco farms and cotton fields.

Not to mention what the founders of our country did to aboriginal (being the first or earliest known of its kind present in a region) Indians whose numbers dwindled and as the cavalry came to conquer and forced them onto reservations.

The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world. And if we put our founders into the context of being the hand that rocks the cradle, they set a very poor example. No wonder we have corruption in politics.

I think I went off topic with dark thoughts. I'm gonna try to be more positive.

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 12:37:54 AM »

Quote from: "Sam"
As if it is not sick enough, I copied this from an aol article but also had heard it on the News.

Foley, who is 52 and single, was co-chairman of the Congressional Missing and Exploited Children's Caucus. In a statement released by his office Friday, the lawmaker said, "I am deeply sorry and I apologize for letting down my family and the people of Florida I have had the privilege to represent."

It makes me sick that someone who is supposed to be about helping children could be exploiting them himself. It also makes me wonder how many of these young boys he has harmed in some way.

And the fat cats couldn't take that away from him - because that might beg the question, "Why?".

Do not overlook the agenda of those who allowed this to continue as long as it did.

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 12:44:40 AM »

I think Herbert Hoover, Harry Truman, and Jimmy Carter are the only "modern" presidents who weren't known to have a little something on the side.

crazybabyborg
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 03:05:43 AM »

I don't know whether I'm just "pollyanna-ish" or naive(sp?). What I do know is that it matters to me when a person who is representing this country, or any State within it, has the moral character of a junk yard dog.
So often we fall into the trap of setting standards based upon relativity to other sub-standard behaviors. That's not the mark I think should be strived to attain, and is typical of the teen-age logic, "But EVERYBODY does it!"
It infuriates me to know that Barney Frank was running a gay prostitution ring and retained his seat. Bill Clinton's behavior with Monica Lewinsky was trumped only by his persuasive, convincing, ability to look us straight in the eye, point that finger just as he did with Chris Wallace, and spew lies about it.
Foley's contrived plan of sexual interaction with congressional pages reveals a darkness to his character that I think IS our business. I do not want the United States of America paying this man to make decisions that impact it's citizens and it's place in the world.
I cannot come to this site and NOT believe that goodness, intelligence, and ethical character exist among our population. It's not sexy, it's not spotlighted, and it doesn't make for interesting news, but it does exist. As for me, I will set my sights on a loftier goal and firmly believe that the watering down that results from political correctness is just plain wrong. It "sounds so good" when you say, "You have your truth, as I have mine and it deserves as much respect as mine." I'm sorry, but there IS a right, and there IS a wrong, and not everything is gray. A member of Congress who solicits pages for sexual interaction is wrong. A Senator who left a young girl to die in drowning water is wrong. A congressman who runs a prostitution ring is wrong. There are many "wrong" acts in society and we can't "right" them all. BUT, we have a vested interest and an obligation to hold high standards for those in positions of power. They voluntarily gave up their "private" status when they undertook the incredibly determination required to hold an office representing this country. Look no further than Aruba to understand the implications of corruption. The beginnings of corruption is always found in lack standards, ethics, and moral character. There is a time for indignition, and it belongs precisely when there is an attempt to candy coat and overlook the character of those who speak for us.
There are politicians I disagree with on issues, and I gladly voice my opinion about that everytime I vote. I even question the motives of politicians on particular issues and again, take advantage of writing, voting, and contributing funds based on my point of view.
 Bankrupt character, depravity, criminal behavior, sleeziness, and the soiling of the seats they hold, is not issue based. IMO, some things aren't a matter of debate, but a violation of common decency.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 08:41:20 AM »

CBB... I applaud you, agree with you  and wish I had said it so well!!

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 09:07:37 AM »

Quote from: "msmarple"
I think Herbert Hoover, Harry Truman, and Jimmy Carter are the only "modern" presidents who weren't known to have a little something on the side.

Uh, oh.  I lived in Georgia and was active in politics during the time.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 12:24:26 PM »

Quote from: "mrs. red"

Oh CBB, you really do have away with words.As I have thought about this the last few days I have came to the same conclusion. We really can't afford to have creeps in office who can't exercise some self control.

Sometimes I do wonder, does politics itself corrupt or is the corruption what causes them to want to be involved in politics?

I also wonder how we can manage to weed them out? I know keep voting them out. It just seems like they keep on coming.

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 12:34:18 PM »

Quote from: "Sam"

Oh CBB, you really do have away with words.As I have thought about this the last few days I have came to the same conclusion. We really can't afford to have creeps in office who can't exercise some self control.

Sometimes I do wonder, does politics itself corrupt or is the corruption what causes them to want to be involved in politics?

I also wonder how we can manage to weed them out? I know keep voting them out. It just seems like they keep on coming.

I suspicion that a lot of those who enter politics for achieving office tend to think of themselves as superior and therefore entitled to pursue their own agenda apart from what most folks consider acceptable.

Don't know if it's the 'power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely' or not, but it does appear that what appeals to most folks who run for office is to seek power to achieve their goals whatever they may be.

Kinda why I've always supported term limits, throw out the current crooks
so new crooks can have a chance at the trough.

I know many encombants run on the 'I've got the experience to better get things done for the people' when in reality they've got more savvy about getting more for themselves.
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 12:31:34 PM »

Actually my advice is to vote every single last one of them OUT OF OFFICE and let's start fresh.....

the only representative I can stomach right now is one from Kansas... Car, you've got a great rep in Patricia Kilpatrick....

as for the rest, why the hell is Kennedy still in office?  Byrd? Lott? Bachus? Spector?  any of them???  

Tell me why I should keep voting for these same people....

I was thinking this exact same thing this moring while getting ready for work and listening to the news!!!  Get 'em all out and start fresh!  

I have little to no faith in the people of our government!  It's beyond Dems. and GOP.  I don't even have a clue who to vote for, I trust none of them!

The next sickest part of Foley soliciting sex from a minor, and while at work is he was over a committee working for Exploited children!  Talk about a hypocrasy!  

I know many Gay people and Adults of child molestation who do NOT molest children.   Is he attempting to make this an excuse??  Oh, it makes me so angry!  I don't give a freak about is sexual orientation, hit race, religions, etc....   There is NO excuse, PERIOD!

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 03:39:44 PM »

Someone previous has stated that Barney Frank "ran a prostitution service" .... That is not quite correct.

Frank hired Steve Gobie in 1985 to work for him, and live with him, in his D.C. apartment. (There was never a doubt that both of them are gay. Frank has never been secretive about his sexual orientation.)

Frank fired Gobie in 1987 when he learned that Gobie was running a prostituition service on the side.

This became public in 1989 when The Washington Times broke the story.

It was not the story Frank's opponents would like for it to have been, but the episode successfully lingers in the minds of many as, "Frank ran a prostitution service."

Frank had gotten some parking tickets fixed for Gobie. Many people were more upset about THAT than the actual story.

(My memory isn't all this great - I've just been reading about past scandals.)

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.