March 29, 2024, 05:40:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JOBS  (Read 1466 times)
Slogger
Monkey Junky Jr.

« on: November 01, 2008, 10:47:23 AM »

Posted at gretawire:

Comment by Democratic
November 1st, 2008 at 10:12 am
Any business leader should consider this. It was forwarded to me from a business acquaintance.

Dear Fellow Businessman:

As a Business owner who employs 70 people, I have resigned myself to the fact that Barack Obama will be our next President, and that my Taxes and Fees will go up in a BIG way.

To compensate for these increases, I figure that the Customer will have to see an increase in my fees to them of about 8%. I will also have to lay off 6 of my employees. This really bothered me as I believe we are family here and didn’t know how to choose who will have to go. So, this is what I did.
I strolled thru the parking lot and found 8 Obama bumper stickers on my employeesʼ cars. I have decided these folks will be the first to be laid off.

I can’t think of another more fair way to approach this problem. If you have a better idea, let me know. I am sending this letter to all Business owners that I know

Constitution101    hillsdale.edu/constitution/
Courtesy is requested; Respect is Earned.
Pace Yourself, for the LongHaul.  MOs
crazybabyborg
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 01:09:07 PM »

I'm meeting with my cost report accountant Thursday, to decide a course. He's already told me that if Obama's policies are in place, I can't look at the expansion I had been. I know that if we are looking at Obama as the next president, I'll have to lay off. Virtually everyone I employ is a McCain supporter. I have 4 single mothers, one with a special needs child. I also employ a single dad who was hired from Walmart where he was a stockboy. I did my best to talk him out of leaving because at the time I couldn't offer health benefits to anyone. He wanted to come and finally came to me and said he'd already quit, so I hired him to tackle the mountain of filing. He shortly convinced me to give him some training on the billing system to post payments. He flew through it. From there, he has undergone training to learn to bill and I'd put him up against any degreed medical biller, anywhere. His pay reflects that of a degreed medical biller, and rightly so. He, and all employees now have full health benefits, and I am loath to let anyone go.

So, what do I do? I'm hoping that maybe we can structurally split the company into 2 smaller ones, or maybe just cut back on the benefits. I don't know, but I have to make some quick decisions and they won't be fair and they won't be good for the employees or for me. It's got to be done before the end of the year, least the Obama plan be passed retroactively. Honestly, we're like family and the prospects are killing me.

Even though I have licensed health provider employees that make well over 100K, my own salary is under that. In the recent video from Obama indicating he would raise taxes on anyone making 70K, I would be hit on personal taxes as well. That's about the cut off for me to just close and work for someone else. We'll see................
Slogger
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 01:37:30 PM »

CBB--

If I were in your situation, I would wait to see which candidate is elected, listen to advisors (and any other experts,) and consider:

List the employees without whom you will sink.

List the employees who contribute to smooth operation and efficiency.  You need them, but can survive in an emergency.

Consider cutting back hours; part time rather than dismissal.

There may be some workers with duplicate health insurance.  If it reduces your rate, check to see if any could drop off your plan.

Install a suggestion box, inform the workers . . . maybe someone else has a good idea. 

The situation should be no secret to the employees.  If they were watching, they are aware.  Reassure them that you are doing the very best you can.

Only mo, I'm sure you have many ideas.

Constitution101    hillsdale.edu/constitution/
Courtesy is requested; Respect is Earned.
Pace Yourself, for the LongHaul.  MOs
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.